Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 08:26:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331897 Posts in 13592 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  Montiors
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Montiors  (Read 2208 times)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 04, 2006, 12:18:46 PM »

Okay ladies, I don't know dick about purchasing monitors.  I got a few questions for ya:

Are there any brands out there I need to stay the fuck away from?

If I'm upgrading to a flat-screen from an older CRT type, do I need to worry about incompatibility with my computer?  (I'm pretty sure you don't, but I figure I might as well make sure :P)

Is $200-$300 enough to get a decent upgrade, or should I save a little more?  I've had this one for about five years, and I'd like to make sure that the one I buy won't be obsolete very quickly.

If you want to link me to some options, I won't exactly turn them down. :P

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 03:48:51 PM »

If price is a problem, I remember a couple weeks ago on Digg they had Dell 20" LCD's for $150.  It wasn't any black friday special or anything like that.  I don't know if they are still around but it's something worth checking out.

There shouldn't be any incompatibility with your computer that I know of.  As long as you meet the minimum requirements everything should be fine.

You should be able to get a pretty decent monitor for $200-300.  From what I've been looking at, seems like the majority of the monitors fell in between 200-300 (about 43% of them are in that range, 32% being lower than $200).

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 10:35:48 PM »

There are some nice monitors on sale at Staples right now. You can easily get a 19inch widescreen for under $200. There arent any brands that you NEED to stay away from, that I have noticed, but if possible pick up a viewsonic, acer, NEC, or Sony. The last one will cost you a good amount of money.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 11:04:52 PM »

The only 'incompatibility' I know of is if your computer can't display at the suggested resolution: Even then, that just means it doesn't look as good as it would at the suggested resolution, since LCDs have a fixed number of pixels while CRTs don't have that issue. Pretty minor I'd say, unless the monitor really sucks ass at other resolutions.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 11:15:19 PM »

Anything by Sharp.

I have a nice 19" Sharp display that I pretty much love. I wish I had waited like two months and purchased a widescreen version.

Check video card settings and connection types you can use...then you're gold. DVI connection would probably be nice if you have a decent/semi-new video card.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 06:38:55 PM »

Meh.. i was going to create a new topic but I thought I'd just bump this one since it's related.  Hopefully someone checks it.

I'm also looking for a new monitor.  I'm just kind of curious if there's any difference between 20" and 20.1" that I should be aware of.  

The .1 just kind of struck me as odd so I figured I should ask somebody.

Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 06:53:14 PM »

20.1" is wide screen, while 20" is full screen. I'd say go with the 20.1"
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 06:58:28 PM »

I wasn't aware of that.

Thank you.

That alone makes me not want to go down to 19"

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 07:04:45 PM »

Widescreens are super hot.

I kinda wanna get one, but if I do it'll probably be an LCD HDTV hooked up to my MacMini.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 07:54:17 PM »

Yeah, wide screen is definitely the way to go if you can find one in your price range.  Just about everything is going the wide screen route nowadays, so its probably a good choice unless they come out with some new funky ass aspect ratio.

I have a dell 17" I got for free, and Ive not had a problem with it, but as far as brands go, the one id recommend above all others would be viewsonic.  I dont know if their LCD are as good a quality as their CRT, but until this past christmas, I was using a 17" 1999 viewsonic CRT, and for being such an old model, and being used before I bought it, and being used constantly by me, it was a great monitor.

Good luck in your search dark.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
KS1987

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 06:46:42 AM »

Samsung Syncmaster is the way to go, you've got a 19 inch, a 20 inch and a 22 inch. I've got the Syncmaster 226bw (22inch version) and it works fine, I use it for my notebook and xbox. The prices vary from 200 USD -> 350 USD. It does require external speakers though ;-)
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 12:00:22 AM »

Well, I ended up pretty much getting one for free.

19" widescreen LCD made by LG.  Considering it was brand new and practically free, I can't complain.

I did see a 20.1" inch though.  It was hot, but the store I got mine from didn't have any so I ended up with a 19".

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: