Author Topic: Let's write an RPG story- A Journal penned by all!

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: Let's write an RPG story- A Journal penned by all!
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2014, 07:59:20 AM »
Alexandra and Roko go with Dincrest.  

Alexander, Leona and Crestee press on.  

Dincrest's Party

Alexandra, Roko, and Dincrest hightail it back to Sherdal's house stomping any hostile amphibian or reptile in their way, including a brief boss battle with the legendary zombie alligator.  One well placed healing spell by Alexandra dispatches the beast.  

Inside Sherdal's house, the party sees Sherdal slowly right himself.  

Sherdal: What are you all doing here? You should be out with Crestee.  

Dincrest: Father!  You're alright!!!!

Sherdal: Of course I am.  What makes you think I wouldn't be?

Dincrest: But the Eye showed an image of you bleeding out and...

Sherdal: Oh, this?  Come on.  You mean to tell me you FORGOT one of the earliest feints I taught you?      

*Sherdal opens up his shirt to reveal several satchels filled with bloodberries, a nutritious berry native to the swamps whose juice is thick and iron-y like blood, strapped to his body*

Sherdal: One "lucky" thrust of the intruder hit one of those and I fell, hoping he would take the decoy Eye I set up.  Considering what I knew about Crestee's party I had a feeling my prodigal son Varth would be sniffing around... so I set them up a trap!  

Dincrest: Father, you're a genius!

Sherdal: Damn straight, Dumb-crest!  But it appears Varth might be as well.  Or he's partnered up with one.  His silver hair and voice indicate his age as he'd be older than dirt in Crestee's time, but his body is still young and strong.  

Roko: So what DID that decoy eye of yours do to the intruders anyway?  

Sherdal: Oh, you do not want to know.  I don't even know what it does myself, honestly, since its effects differ with people.  For me, it just made me LOOK prematurely old.  I may look hundreds of years old, but I'm a spry 51!  As for Varth and his companion, it sent them off and god knows what else...  Anyway, you all should be with Crestee right now!  You caught me at the tail end of a battle, but Crestee might be on the edge of a war and you foolishly left her without a swordsman, a healer, and whatever the blazes Roko is!  Quit standing around.  Go on.  Git!  Kids these days...

MEANWHILE, 100 years in the future

Varth is rocking back and forth, his form that of a large, childlike purple dinosaur with a green belly and a nasal laugh singing "I love you, you love me..."

Zidd: Curses, this is going to take all the genius I have to fix.  Age manipulation was one thing, but this... I've never seen anything like this.  Good thing I didn't touch that Eye.    

Something garnet red glimmered in the distance.  Zidd eyed it carefully.  

Zidd: This is not the Eye of Spacetime but a powerful decoy that had unspeakable effects on Varth.  I'll have to contain this and manipulate its raw power.  I may not have secured the Eye of Spacetime from that damn girl, but I may have stumbled upon something better.  MWA HA HA HA HA!  

Varth is still rocking back and forth, dumbfoundedly, this time singing "Elephant, elephant..."

Zidd then manipulates a specimen-grabbing mechanical arm from his mechsuit, extends it, and holds the eye away from him.  He then cautiously places it in a containment unit in his airship for further study.  He then smirks evilly before unlocking a secret panel in his quarters of the ship and pulling out an ornate gun, kinda like this: http://www.collectie.legermuseum.nl/sites/str.visser.nl/contents/i000444/193.jpg Primitive in design and only holds one shot, but it's a shot of something truly devastating.  

Zidd takes his gun and walks back out to Varth, who's still singing "Elephant, elephant..."  

Zidd: Oh how the mighty hath fallen!  

Zidd then steps behind the unsuspecting Varth, places the gun to his oversized purple temple, and fires!  In a WOOSH, Varth is completely disintegrated without a trace, a crater lies on the ground where he once sat, and 3/4s of the gun's barrel is melted off.  Zidd tosses the gun into the furnace of his airship, and gloats as he flies back to his sinister lab way out in an inaccessible region of the Norgo Mountains.  

Zidd: It was bound to happen.  The second-in-command villain ALWAYS kills the emperor in a JRPG story.  Just you wait, girl.  You may return to our time, but it may not be as you remember it!  I WILL discover the secrets of this decoy eye, but first... I have to go make a potty in the bathroom once I arrive back at my lair.    

Fade out with Zidd's airship landing at an undisclosed location in the Norgo Mountains.  

ASIDE: I picture Zidd kinda like this, but larger, more menacing, and more badass.  He's both a genius and a powerhouse.   http://thegia.com/archive/psx/smad/art2/clemett.jpg

Cut now to Crestee, Leona, and Alexander, who have just arrived at the capitol city of Selasse...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 12:33:13 PM by Dincrest »
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

kkhohoho

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2014, 08:35:18 PM »
Alex: Honestly, I don't like just leaving Alexendra alone like this...

Crestee: Alex, I've got nothin' really against ya', really, but I'm tryin' to find my mom and I may have even gotten her into this soCOULDYOUPLEASEJUSTBEQUI--

Leona:  *Pops up two claws.* Two points. First: Crestee. I care for you as if you were of my own blood, since you are of my own blood, but there are times when I am sorely tempted to snatch the Times Eye away from you in the middle of the night and become the Eye's holder once again. Honestly, if this were some, I don't know, some sort of story or tale, I would honestly hope you would receive a sizable portion of character growth in short order.

Crestee: Huh? Now just what in Sam's Hill does that mean?!

Leona: That will be up to you to discover, won't it? But rest assured, we will find your mother. She is, in a way, my distant spawn after all, so I cannot simply leave her here. But, come to think of it, she could theoretically use the Time's Eye just as well as you. If you wish to keep hold of it, I suggest you get yourself an attitude adjustment.

Leona then put one claw away while keeping the other held high.

Leona: And point two: Alex. Alexendra, if that is even her name, may not actually be your sister, as we established. Of course, she could just as well be your sister, but either way, until the both of you know this for certain, I'd advise you to let her do as she pleases. And if that means letting her join the other half of our intrepid crew, then so be it.

Alex: Yeah; yeah, I know. I just, I still think she's -- no, I know she's still Alexandra! But she doesn't know that, and nothing I can do right is gonna' convince her of that. She's gotta' remember on her own.

Leona: I suppose that's one way to rationalize it. But yes, just give her her space, would you? Besides, if we wind up running low on healing potions, we may well need her healing arts. Now, as for Crestee's mother, let us concentrate on her once more, shall we?

Crestee: You don't gotta' tell me twice.

Leona: And yet, there are times when I am convinced I must...

Ignoring Leona, Crestee held the Time's Eye in her hands and concentrated, focusing on her mother with all of her being. Crestee's mother then appeared in the air once again, and then, like with Alexendra's sister, she vanished, this time replaced with a--

Crestee: Now just wait a cotton-pickin' minute! That big castle right in the middle of the town?!

Alex: You mean the Royal Castle? Because I don't know what else it could be.

Leona: That does indeed seem to be the locale of choice.

Alex: But I thought the Time's Eye was supposed to home in on whoever happened to be nearest.

Leona: So did I. But perhaps, when we used the Time's Eye first, Alexendra  was nearest. It is possible that when Martha arrived here, she was anywhere other than the castle, but for whatever reason, has wound up there since. In any case, I doubt it will be easy to get in there. I have some ideas, but I am open to suggestions...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 04:05:59 PM by kkhohoho »

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2014, 05:10:17 PM »
Crestee: Alex, ain't you good at sneakin' into places?  You knew the sewer systems under Strassle Castle pretty good when we escaped Zidd.  

Alex: True, but I don't know the sewer systems here and we don't have time to wade knee-deep in poo water for hours getting hopelessly lost.  

Crestee: Then how'd you figure out Strassle's sewers?  

Alex: With the help of my sister (she was a great decoy/distraction), I stole maps and during the witching hour and memorized them.  I have a photographic memory, you know.  I would go under for a bit, make my marks, and surface before I suffocated.  Anyway, why does it have to be me getting us in?  You say you can get any horse to eat out of your hand?  How about proving that point, huh?  We could try getting in through the stables, use your horse whispering to get them on our side...

Dincrest's party

Everyone's slogging through the swamp

Roko: At this rate, we're never going to reach Crestee and the others.  Isn't there a shortcut?

Dincrest:  Actually, there is... but it's pretty dangerous.  Anyone who's ventured in has never come out.  

Roko: *grabs Dincrest's collar*So take us there already!  

Dincrest: Fine, it's over this way.  *goes* Here it is.  an abandoned entrance to the aqueducts.  We call this place Frogfanny because the sounds that come from it are like a giant bullfrog and a terrible fart.  It's the quickest course to Selasse, but no one knows what's in there because any who've entered have never returned alive...

Cheesy narrator bit (like in 1960s Batman show or Bullwinkle & Rocky)

Cartoony narrator:  Will Crestee's party enter the stables, or will they hold their horses?  Will Dincrest's party enter Frogfanny, or will they be be left feeling toadyish in deference to the legends surrounding it?  Tune in next time for another episode of... whatever the heck this is called!

« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 06:00:23 PM by Dincrest »
     -Peppermint Patty

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2014, 07:54:53 PM »
Crestee's party

So Crestee, Alex, and Leona sneak around to where the castle livery is.  To their surprise, the main gate leading to the livery area is unlocked.  Thinking this might be a trap, they send Leona in to investigate.  After a couple minutes Leona beckons the others to come in slowly.  They see a young chestnut stallion in the yard freaking out rebelliously, jumping and thrashing about with the stable hand unconscious on the ground.  Leona whispers that she put a sleep spell on the stable hand to ensure that he'd stay unconscious while the others enact a plan.  

Crestee notices something strange about the horse.  As it rears up, she notices a familiar crescent moon shaped white patch around the stallion's groin.  Loper?  Knowing exactly what to do, she approaches the horse as confidently as she can.  After all, Loper in the past has no idea who she is, but she knows how to handle a horse with his personality.  The horse snorts at her as she approaches, but doesn't spook or make a hostile move.  He doesn't understand why this girl's aura and scent are good and comforting, despite never having met her.  He even likes it when she calls him "Loper" and speaks to him soothingly.  

Crestee (thought bubble exposition for player benefit): Sakes alive, it's just as I suspected!  Loper is at least part neugasol if not full neugasol.  Them rare breed horses are said to live about 250 years.  When I first found Loper in deplorable shape, I was surprised he was alive at all, let alone standing and walking.  It took me a long time to fully bond with him because he's such a particular horse, but no one else can handle him like I can.  

Just then, Alex had an idea.  The stable hand was about Alex's size, so he stole the boy's clothes and changed into them, and tore up his own clothes to use as bonds.  

Alex: Crestee, I'll pretend to be the stable boy and march us into the castle as if you were a horse thief!  Then once inside, you and Loper create a distraction while Leona and I try and free your mom.  

Leona: It sounds absolutely ludicrous.  But, given that this is a ludicrous JRPG type story, it just might work!  

So Alex, Crestee, and Leona put their wacky idea into motion...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 08:46:34 PM by Dincrest »
     -Peppermint Patty

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2015, 01:47:20 PM »
Meanwhile...

Dincrest's Party

Roko: But I'm sure a brave warrior like you has been in there, at least a little bit to train.  

Dincrest: Actually, no I haven't.

Roko: What the hell kind of "brave warrior" are you?  You chicken?  Bawk bawkbawkbawk.

Dincrest:  *puffs out his chest and points his sword at Roko* Silence!  Unlike you, you foolhardy rogue, I am a sensible warrior.  Being brave doesn't mean you go looking for trouble.  

Roko: *cracks her whip* But how do you test your bravery without facing the unknown?  

Roko and Dincrest bicker and argue.

Alexandra tries to interject, but to no avail.  Fed up, she cast a low level water spell to splash them to get their attention, but not to drench them.  Can't have them catch cold now can you?

Alexandra: Both of you, stop fighting!  We are wasting time here.  We need to get back to Alex and the others.  Dincrest, you want to find the truth.  I'm curious why that boy Alex is so insistent that I'm his sister (thought bubble: though we do look alike).  And Roko, you're always spoiling for a fight and we may have one with the capitol itself.  So let's go down this aqueduct, stench be damned, and get moving... *suddenly meek* if it's not too much trouble.  

Dincrest: You're right, let's go.  It's my fault we backtracked all this way anyway.  

Roko: Damn right it is!  *whispers to Dincrest- didja see her sudden change from silent all this time to brazenly assertive to meek?  There's a lot more to this girl than meets the eye*

So the three proceed through a dungeon that resembles the tomb of the unknown king in Final Fantasy 8 (http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080208073504/finalfantasy/images/2/23/Tomb_of_the_Unknown_King_6.jpg) but more slimy, more cramped, and more disgusting.  It's quite easy to get lost in this dungeon since everything looks the same and there are some rather foul enemies, but eventually the party reaches a point where the earsplitting "frogfanny" sound shakes their very core and jiggles their bowels.  The follow the sound to the boss battle:  A giant...  
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 02:06:45 PM by Dincrest »
     -Peppermint Patty

Sugarnes

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2015, 08:24:50 AM »
So how exactly is this not on kickstarter!?

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2015, 01:22:37 PM »
Glad you enjoyed this little slice of community storytelling.  You should have seen this one that we did 5 years ago, but never finished: http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=8002.0

I think writer fatigue, loss of interest, and all that played a part in that, and this, being kinda abandoned.  The older one lasted a long time, though, and I had WAAAAY too much fun writing Taressa.

Round robins are fun, aren't they?

-Peppermint Patty

Sugarnes

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2015, 04:48:30 AM »
Indeed, great fun.  Crikey that one had some legs, this was somewhat tighter on character control early on though, a bit easier to follow!

Let the dust settle on this and start another...

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2015, 08:26:10 AM »
However, every time I start a round robin, it fizzles out quickly or never gets off the ground.  But if someone else starts one, it goes on for a long time.  It never fails.  Ergo, I'm not starting the next one.  My favorite part of both of these were taking what others wrote and then making it work for the good of the narrative.  Turning chaos into order.   
     -Peppermint Patty

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2015, 08:51:05 AM »

Round robins are fun, aren't they?

No. They are not.

They're irritating with a side of petty writing tug of wars as contributers completely ignore everyone else's thing to post their own rambling narrative, instead of actually taking what proceeded and working with what's established in a demonstration of creativity and flexibility.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2015, 12:47:24 PM »
Well, I had fun with them, especially taking all the wacky stuff other people wrote and creatively making it work within a context.  Good imagination stimulation, it was.  Anyone can come up with a wacky idea, but I liked the challenge of making other people's wacky ideas work.

EDIT: And I did like making Sherdal refer to Dincrest as either Dumb-crest or Dim-crest when he was being an idiot.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 09:44:34 AM by Dincrest »
     -Peppermint Patty