Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 04:16:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332823 Posts in 13638 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Child gets arrested for opening gift early...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Child gets arrested for opening gift early...  (Read 3373 times)
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 05, 2006, 05:45:43 PM »

Yeah....

I understand where the mother is coming from, considering the kid is a trouble-maker, but I thought it was too extreme especially for something petty like opening a gift early (at least I don't find it that much of a big deal). Might have made a reality call, but I think there would be better ways.

Your thoughts on this "crime"?

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 05:51:36 PM »

I agree with the mom. Teach that brat a lesson.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 06:00:22 PM »

He deserved an arrest, but not for this. This is ridiculously extreme, but I hope it teaches him a lesson anyway given the other crap he's pulled.
Shooichi

rjmoriarty83
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 06:16:23 PM »

So arrest him for the other crap. This is bullshit "I can't deal with being a parent so I'll make the government do it" .. bullshit.

Seriously, half the time kids are trouble makers because their parents are shit heads anyway.

Not so seriously: Who buys GBAs in this day and age?

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 06:23:06 PM »

From what I can gather, she called the police mainly for the other things he's done. Straw that broke the camel's back, to use a cliche. So teach the kid a lesson; He wasn't jailed, so it's a suitable punishment.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 01:39:10 AM »

Quote from: "Hathen"
From what I can gather, she called the police mainly for the other things he's done. Straw that broke the camel's back, to use a cliche. So teach the kid a lesson; He wasn't jailed, so it's a suitable punishment.

That's the impression I got. The title is kinda misleading and you have to read the whole story.

*does the math* She was like 15 when she had him. Yikes.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Shooichi

rjmoriarty83
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 04:04:39 AM »

Quote from: "kyuusei"
he math* She was like 15 when she had him. Yikes.

I rest my case.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 04:16:19 AM »

Not so seriously: Who buys GBAs in this day and age?

Parents of under-privileged youth.

This is bullshit "I can't deal with being a parent so I'll make the government do it" .. bullshit.

Yeah...having done my stint in social work, I've seen my fair share of that. It's harder to tell which is worse for the child: staying with a crappy parent or going to be raised by the state in a facility. Lesser of two evils? They both suck. :(

Decent foster parents are probably the best option, but they're SO few (lots of crappy ones out there instead...)

Ramza

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 08:48:37 AM »

I would've just belted the hell out of him. Kids should learn where the line is and stay behind that line.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 09:15:34 AM »

A wise man named Russel Peters once pleaded with white people to please hit their children.

I concur.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 09:22:29 AM »

Quote from: "kyuusei"

*does the math* She was like 15 when she had him. Yikes.

That reminds me of this article I read in the local paper a while back about this family.  There were five generations of that family's womenfolk still alive and kicking.  It was kinda impressive at first...until you did the math and realized they had all had kids when they were thirteen or fourteen years old.

As for this story, I'm with Ashton.  Beat the shit out of your children, folks.  "Spare the rod, spoil the child" is probably the wisest thing to come out of the ol' Book.

everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 10:04:34 AM »

This is off on a tangent a little bit, but regarding yous who think kids should be physically punished (and I'm only speaking from experience): I have two brothers, only one of which was "belted." He's the only one who's ever started serious trouble. He's gone around the neighbordhood shooting paintballs at houses, spray painting peoples' garages, shooting at little kids with air soft guns... but he's never been caught by anyone for it, and always lands the blame on someone else. Me and the other brother are angels compared to him (the jerk brother is 16 now). All he learned from being punished is how to avoid punishment- not how to act.

[/url]
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 10:12:01 AM »

Every child will take to punishment differently, but there's been a liberal (in the social, not political sense) slant to the whole issue for the past two generations. We've gont with "you can't hit your children because that's violence and violence is wrong." But in the same breath, we'll then say that generalising is a mistake, yet we've generalised the whole issue on discipline.

Discipline doesn't need to be physically enforced. Extremity of any kind is unnecessary. However, if there is no presence of physical enforcement, then there's no real punishment to be had. One thing I feel is that a lot of parents never study their children, for one reason or another. You need to be in touch with who your child is in order to merit reward and punishment. Otherwise you wind up treating your kid like a pet or an object more than anything, which is a terrible oversight.

I was belted, my sister wasn't. She's the rabble-rouser, the shit-talker, and the one who has never ceased to cause trouble for the family. She was spoiled because she played little miss perfect, but then turned into a hellion because all she ever got was sent to her room. Me? I was told to stand in horse-riding stance for an hour, and if I didn't do that properly, my backside got the belt. I misbehaved like mad when I was a kid, but grown up, I'm pretty sensible. I don't resent a moment of it either. It taught me a lot to go through that and I'm thankful for it. Some people may not be and that can either be because it really WAS abuse for them, or because they never had any love to balance the issue. Or they're just stupid, that's always possible too.

I think you need to play carrot-and-stick with discipline. Never being nice to your children is wrong. There are tons of horror stories where the father figure is a belt-happy ogre and the mother's a guilt-driving matriarch. But I think we're at a point in society where the weak-willed parent is becoming all too prevalent for the white middle-class and it has to change. You can't punish out of anger; I always feel that's wrong. But you can punish a child out of a sense of parental duty. Balance it out and don't go to extremes.
Angelo
Sephiroth's Girlfriend

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 11:40:07 AM »

Sounds like this is a kid that didn't deserve to get presents from Mom.  

Sounds like Mom was used to giving Junior what he wants to get him out of her hair.  

Sounds like Mom still hasn't learned her lesson; a virtual guarantee that Junior won't learn his.

Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 12:03:54 PM »

Re: physical punishment.  You know where I stand with regards to hitting children.  I don't believe in it and have been able to get entire preschool classrooms to listen to me without having to slap them with a ruler.  

Still, if a kid is acting out big time, throwing things, having a huge tantrum, all that, yes s/he needs to be restrained.  Don't be afraid of freaking touching the kid.  If the kid's about to bash me with a toy truck, you can bet your sweet ass I'll restrain him, remove the truck from his posession, keep him restrained till he calms the fuck down, give him a brief talking-to, and punish accordingly.  I don't care if the kid's 2 or 12, if a situation calls for it, I will restrain the little hellion.      

I always had to be careful because I'm a male teacher and all that, but judicious restraint when there's a situation that can cause injury to the kid or others is reason enough to use restraint.  

When you're dealing with special ed kids or kids with behavioral issues, you'd better know some effective restraint techniques or you've just rendered yourself powerless.  And when dealing with kids, you need to be an authoritative figure so that the kids know that you have power and they'd better not mess with you.  And sending the kid to the office repeatedly is mostly saying "I have no power, so I'll transfer it to someone else."  Doesn't mean you should flaunt your power and pull rank either, though, then the kid won't respect you.  

Kids don't respect dishrags nor do they respect drill sergeants.  

Regarding the whole case, Angelo summed it up very succinctly.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: