Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 06:24:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331822 Posts in 13586 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Child gets arrested for opening gift early...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Child gets arrested for opening gift early...  (Read 3369 times)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 01:02:16 PM »

Interesting replies.

On the article posted, I wonder if it's already too late to help the kid out.  Sounds like the parent didn't do her job, but having a kid at 15 and being a single mom it has to be tough.

I don't know what to think about child discipline.  I probably feel about the same way as Hidoshi.  I personally wasn't really hit much or grounded as a kid but I wasn't a bad kid.  When I did act up, which was usually in the form of talking back, the threat of being hit was always there.  Looking back at it, maybe they should have hit me because I'm a prick to my parents sometimes.

I look at how my good friend's younger brother acted when I was at his house and that sometimes makes me want to lean towards hitting.  Even at 8 and 9 years old, he was screaming "FUCK YOU!" at the top of his lungs to his mother without any real consequences except "Go to your room".  I heard now he has straighted out somewhat.  I can't really witness this because his mom and brother moved half way across the US.  I try not to put too much weight on his actions because the circumstances at home were very un-nurturing.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 02:52:23 PM »

At age 12, it's not too late to help the kid, but you'll need some seriously intense intervention; more intense than if the kid were 3 or so.  

See, the brain continues to develop until about age 16, so a head trauma to a 16 year old can be severe in the future growth of the kid.  

So even at age 12, the kid's mind is still somewhat malleable so as long as he gets some fairly intense cognitive behavioral therapy there is hope, but it has to be intense and the parent has to do whatever the therapist tells her to do at home to make sure the kid does what he's supposed to and doesn't lapse back into old habits.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 03:47:01 PM »

edit:

Meh, nevermind. Getting too off topic.

[/url]
Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 08:26:44 PM »

to that shoe person: It's pretty easy to see that the mother simply wanted the visual jolt of a police officer arriving at the house, she doesn't want him carted off to jail. Clearly, with you not having kids you don't see that Kid's aren't little computers with faulty users, they're indepedent people that can only be led and persuaded so far.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2006, 08:52:18 AM »

What Angelo said.

On the physical punishment thingy, I have mixed feelings. Mark's right about different children taking the punishment differently, I suppose. When I was younger, I was either slapped, pinched or ear-pulled whenever I did something wrong (like swearing, acting rude to adults or making the little sister cry). It provided an in-built moral compass, although I like to think that it was religion and a good moral understanding that prevented me from serious things such as stealing/shoplifting.

This kid's mother had him when she was too young. I don't know her personally and am probably in no place to judge, but people who don't have a somewhat developed sense of right-wrong/morals/principles aren't very good at cultivating them in their children. Unless of course the child is going against example. :P

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2006, 12:14:11 AM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"
I would've just belted the hell out of him. Kids should learn where the line is and stay behind that line.

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
A wise man named Russel Peters once pleaded with white people to please hit their children.

I concur.

Both the entire truth. My mom beat my ass when I got out of line as a kid. I'm glad she did too, I look at kids these days and thank God every day I'm not like them.

This parental blaming is horse shit. When you hit 6 years old you better start learning that you are a person and you are performing actions, with consequences. It's on YOU as much as your parents, you are a person, start acting like one.

And if you can't do that, you get a leather belt on your ass for 15 minutes, then you get locked in the bathroom. I was never sent to my room, I was sent to the bathroom. Why? Because there are no toys, no super nintendos and no TVs in the bathroom.

Your parents make the rules, you follow them. It's their house, the end.

EDIT: In regard to the kid screaming "FUCK YOU" at his mom, I would pay a kid at his school to kick him in the balls. A kid hitting a kid is nothing illegal.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: