Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Favorite albums of 2014
« on: December 05, 2014, 07:37:40 PM »
It's about that time again to talk about our favorite albums of 2014.  What were some of yours?  

I'll be honest, I haven't listened to as much new music as I'd like to, but one EP that's wormed its way into my head and I haven't been able to stop playing is "To Shape the Mold" by Divot.  Divot is an upstate NY band that I shared the stage with and thought were cool.  Stylistically, they're in the vein of Chevelle, Deftones, Tool, that sort of thing.

http://divotofficial.bandcamp.com/  "Succubus" is my favorite song.  I like dat riff.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 08:18:12 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
Re: Favorite albums of 2014
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 10:18:38 PM »
I haven't even listened to it yet but I suspect my fav album in 2014 will be IXORA by Copeland.

Of those I've actually listened to, I'm sticking to my guns with this ethereal-pop family band Kye Kye with their sophomore release "Fantasize" (released Jan1, 2014). It's held solid this whole year.

Oh, and Tori Amos' "Unrepentant Geraldines" is a runner-up. It's a great album, just not HER best.

Prime Mover

• All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio
    • View Profile
    • www.ericbarker.com
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 10:07:59 PM »
Nothing has captured my attention like the Devin Townsend Z2 album(s). Ziltoid: Dark Matters is great ear candy, but "Sky Blue" is an absolute gem. Some of the catchiest songs I've ever heard with amazing huge arrangements, lots of drive and power. Gotta check it out.

Though I'm currently getting into Avenged Sevenfold, they're coming to Honolulu in a month (my gf got us tix for christmas). Very surprised at how soulful and dynamic this, supposedly, "hardcore" metal band is. Can't wait to see them live!

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 09:39:46 AM »
A buddy of mine called A7X "Metallica Jr."  At a Metallica show, you'll typically see oldheads with their teenage or twenty-something kids.  You go to an Avenged Sevenfold show and you'll also see a good cross section of people.  You'll see people our age who got into them in the mid 2000s when there was a dearth of good rock/metal and these guys were bringing that Guns 'n Roses vibe back.  You'll also see a lot of young people, because a lot of current high school and college kids are into the band. 

A7X isn't really my thing, but I do like this song of theirs:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tysmwGx7TNU
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 07:09:16 PM »
I think the only album from 2014 that I heard was uh Tinashe - Aquarius.

I really like it though!

-- edit --

Oh, just remember. Also listened to The War on Drugs' 2014 album, which I liked a lot, and Sun Kil Moon - Benji which... I listened to about half of and had no particular desire to ever listen to again.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 01:47:29 AM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 12:52:00 PM »
Journey by Akane...which coincidentally was also the only album from this year I listened to.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes