Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: Dincrest plays Chrono Cross (and Chrono Trigger DS) PlayLog
« Reply #210 on: October 14, 2015, 06:57:33 PM »
On a whim, I've been "New Game Plus"-ing Chrono Cross.  I just rescued Razzly and am about to fight the hydra. 
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 15, 2015, 09:11:49 AM »
You're a wonderful person for giving this masterpiece the love it so richly deserves.

Last time I played I got Razzly in the "dream sequence intro" and thought "Ok, I need to make sure I get her!"  And then I didn't and she was eaten, probably.  So sad. :(
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #212 on: October 22, 2015, 02:32:16 PM »
On a whim, I've been "New Game Plus"-ing Chrono Cross.  I just rescued Razzly and am about to fight the hydra. 

iirc she's actually a pretty good character I think.  I do get a bit tripped out with the CC version of faeries being....a very normal height.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 23, 2015, 03:44:38 PM »

iirc she's actually a pretty good character I think.  I do get a bit tripped out with the CC version of faeries being....a very normal height.

They're like half the size of a human.  They kinda just look like children, really.  Children who float.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #214 on: January 15, 2016, 05:30:27 PM »
I'm trying to transfer my Chrono Cross saves to my Vita via USB, but they keep getting corrupted.  This is too bad, because I'm more likely to play it more on my Vita than my PS3 and I don't want to have to do a dry playthrough again, given that I've already done one. 

I did take a moment to defeat the Hydra in CC while trying to, unsuccessfully, troubleshoot some connectivity issues with my PS3.  I've done nothing in CT, and I still want to take Ayla home to meet Chrono's mom and see if there's any alteration to her "Yummy frog, for Ayla eat?" line.
     -Peppermint Patty

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #215 on: November 24, 2016, 04:51:01 PM »
So, I decided to revisit my Chrono Cross replay (on my Vita) since there was a thread discussing the merits of the game.  Unfortunately, I completely forgot where I'm supposed to go and what I'm supposed to do.  Guess I'll need to run around town hoping someone will have a hint for me.  Too bad this game doesn't have a "Talk" feature like Phantasy Star IV where the party members converse among themselves to remind you of your current objective.

I checked my Trigger file and because I've played that game a few times, I know where to go and what to do, based ont he chapter titles.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 05:03:37 PM by Dincrest »
     -Peppermint Patty

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 24, 2016, 08:01:08 PM »
So, I decided to revisit my Chrono Cross replay (on my Vita) since there was a thread discussing the merits of the game.  Unfortunately, I completely forgot where I'm supposed to go and what I'm supposed to do.  Guess I'll need to run around town hoping someone will have a hint for me.  Too bad this game doesn't have a "Talk" feature like Phantasy Star IV where the party members converse among themselves to remind you of your current objective.

I checked my Trigger file and because I've played that game a few times, I know where to go and what to do, based ont he chapter titles.

Its really not all that hard to figure out where you are. Just ask yourself these questions: Do I have Serge or Lynx? If I have Lynx, am I in Home World or Another World? If I'm in Home World, can I get to Another World? And then let your Key Items and Roster zero you in on your current location.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #217 on: November 25, 2016, 06:24:11 AM »
Cross:

The "talk to everyone in town" method seemed to work for me and I know where I'm going. 

My party ran into Glenn who told us to visit Radius.  We battled Harle (who had burned down the place), talked to Radius, and we're now going to Fort Dragonia.

Party is Serge, Kid, and Razzly right now.

----
Trigger:

Melchior has rebuilt the Masamune (thanks Gaspar for reminding me where/when to go) and Frog cut a mountain down.
     -Peppermint Patty

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 25, 2016, 09:21:38 AM »
Cross:

The "talk to everyone in town" method seemed to work for me and I know where I'm going. 

My party ran into Glenn who told us to visit Radius.  We battled Harle (who had burned down the place), talked to Radius, and we're now going to Fort Dragonia.

Party is Serge, Kid, and Razzly right now.

----
Trigger:

Melchior has rebuilt the Masamune (thanks Gaspar for reminding me where/when to go) and Frog cut a mountain down.

CC: Did you ever get Mel? You should be able to now.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #219 on: November 25, 2016, 08:34:59 PM »
Cross: Yeah, I let Mel tag along.  Right now I just recruited Pip from the "ghost ship."  Korcha and Mel are deadweight, but Razzly's a winner.  I like that some of her normal attacks hit multiple foes.  

Trigger DS: Frog learned magic and I took him to meet Chrono's mom.  After mom apologized for mistaking Frog for one of Chrono's pets, she called him Sir Knight.  No... just no!  Calling him "Mr. Toad"  and him resigning himself to being Mr. Toad is what made the original scene so funny and memorably iconic to me.  

The DS version's script took away all of Frog's personality.  No olde English "thou hath" speak, no Mr. Toad, the new localization dissected Frog.  

The one thing I liked about the new localization was that the soup in the prehistoric era party became skull-smash, and it made sense that everyone got wicked drunk and Ayla was badly hung over the next morning.  
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 07:11:36 AM by Dincrest »
     -Peppermint Patty

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #220 on: November 26, 2016, 08:53:11 PM »
Trigger DS: Right now, I'm just building levels before entering Magus's keep.  My party is Chrono, Frog, and Robo.

Cross: I finished the "ghost ship" segment, went to the Water Dragon Isle to find out from Rosetta (a fairy) that the island has dried up.  Party is Serge, Kid, and Razzly.
     -Peppermint Patty

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 26, 2016, 10:27:58 PM »
Trigger DS: Right now, I'm just building levels before entering Magus's keep.  My party is Chrono, Frog, and Robo.

Cross: I finished the "ghost ship" segment, went to the Water Dragon Isle to find out from Rosetta (a fairy) that the island has dried up.  Party is Serge, Kid, and Razzly.

I don't remember ever having to grind in Chrono Trigger and if I remember correctly the only time I died was on my first attempt at the final boss.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #222 on: November 27, 2016, 06:48:52 AM »
Along with levels, in Trigger DS, I was grinding for TP so I could get Frog's party-healing technique.  The first time I did a virgin playthrough, my party was Chrono, Frog, and Marle.  This time, I want to try it with Chrono, Frog, and Robo since Robo has healing capabilities and a triple tech with Chrono and Frog.  

I was also grinding for feathers and stuff in prehistoric era so I could get Ruby Vests for everyone.  

I mostly want to finish the Magus fight so I can see if they kept "Yummy frog, for Ayla eat?"  Granted, the new localization kept Ayla speaking caveman-ish, albeit toned down, so at least they didn't gut her the way they dissected Frog.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 06:59:50 AM by Dincrest »
     -Peppermint Patty

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 27, 2016, 08:20:01 AM »
Along with levels, in Trigger DS, I was grinding for TP so I could get Frog's party-healing technique.  The first time I did a virgin playthrough, my party was Chrono, Frog, and Marle.  This time, I want to try it with Chrono, Frog, and Robo since Robo has healing capabilities and a triple tech with Chrono and Frog.  

I was also grinding for feathers and stuff in prehistoric era so I could get Ruby Vests for everyone.  

I mostly want to finish the Magus fight so I can see if they kept "Yummy frog, for Ayla eat?"  Granted, the new localization kept Ayla speaking caveman-ish, albeit toned down, so at least they didn't gut her the way they dissected Frog.

Having done this, I can say that you do need to grind every once in a while. Not grinding just makes things take longer and require that you burn the occasional item.

Also, welcome to the discussion of 'Subs vs Dubs'. Enjoy your stay amongst the crowd of "OMG THEY CHANGED THE ORIGINAL DIALOGUE! MOTHERFUCKERS!!!" or the similar but different crowd of "OMG THEY CHANGED THE CHANGES THAT I GREW UP WITH AND QUOTED ALL THE TIME ON MY INSULAR MESSAGE BOARDS! MOTHERFUCKERS!!!".

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #224 on: November 27, 2016, 08:43:29 AM »
I'm cool with most of the updates, notably "soup" being alcohol (skull smash) and everyone getting drunk at Ayla's party (except Robo).  I also like that Ayla's caveman speak is toned down, because she is the chief and the most intelligent caveman, but still a caveman speaking in "me Grimlock" fashion.

But things like a medieval character speaking in present day syntax rather than olde English, or Chrono's mom referring to the talking frog as "sir knight" rather than Mister Toad kill the immersion, detract from the storyline and require logical rigmarole to justify.  Ayla can speak caveman yet Frog doesn't speak knightly? 

I get that some things need to be updated or rethought to reflect the times, but not at the expense of making logical sense.  To bring in a characteristic Dincrest food analogy, some old family recipes could use some tweaking to make them better, but other old family recipes are perfect the way they are and should remain unchanged.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 08:45:20 AM by Dincrest »
     -Peppermint Patty