Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: Dincrest plays Chrono Cross PlayLog
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2015, 07:52:06 AM »
Status effects were a pain in that battle, but Carnivore killed me mainly because it did 200hp worth of damage.
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2015, 02:41:05 PM »
Still working on RPGFan-related projects, but in the meantime, here's a funny parody fic by Mooncalf about Harle: http://mooncalf.org/library/parody/harle.html

I'd rather be playing Chrono Cross.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 07:14:46 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2015, 12:52:38 PM »
I played some Chrono Cross today!  Wowee!

I defeated the Earth Dragon.  Earth Dragon was a total pushover.  It cast no elements and I was easily able to summon Frog Prince on it.  

I also defeated the Fire Dragon.  I honestly thought he'd be tougher.  I kept trying to go blue for Frog Prince, but he kept countering with a weak fire attack, so I pretty much kept that up and defeated him with minimal damage since he never cast anything stronger.  Even Fargo only took 50 hits of damage at a time, and he's blue.  

Then I faced Sky Dragon.  Sky Dragon did not chew me up and spit me out- she chewed me up and shit me out.  That fight's gonna be a rough one.  

My teams for these battles were Lynx, Fargo, and Miki.

EDIT: And when I was checking "who's online?" I saw a guest reading this and had to post it again.  It's your handywork, Ms. Dicey!  http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=8467.0

I have another RPGFan project or two on the horizon, so my Chrono Cross coverage will be spotty. 

« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 07:01:24 PM by Dincrest »

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2015, 02:29:01 PM »
I played some Chrono Cross today!  Wowee!

I defeated the Earth Dragon.  Earth Dragon was a total pushover.  It cast no elements and I was easily able to summon Frog Prince on it.  

I also defeated the Fire Dragon.  I honestly thought he'd be tougher.  I kept trying to go blue for Frog Prince, but he kept countering with a weak fire attack, so I pretty much kept that up and defeated him with minimal damage since he never cast anything stronger.  Even Fargo only took 50 hits of damage at a time, and he's blue.  

Then I faced Sky Dragon.  Sky Dragon did not chew me up and spit me out- she chewed me up and shit me out.  That fight's gonna be a rough one.  

My teams for these battles were Lynx, Fargo, and Miki.

EDIT: And when I was checking "who's online?" I saw a guest reading this and had to post it again.  It's your handywork, Ms. Dicey!  http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=8467.0

I have another RPGFan project or two on the horizon, so my Chrono Cross coverage will be spotty. 

omg i forgot about that completely. xD
I should have made Macha a candidate.

But seriously.

I actually remember having a heeeelll of a time with the Fire Dragon.  Granted, I played when I was like 13, so...

Sky Dragon and Black always provided a good challenge.  And generally I like that because of how the levelling in this game works.  I remember so little of the summons, hell I nearly forgot they were in there.  I remember *Saints being weird (it honestly feels like a Kid Icarus thing), but loving (I think) *Salamander because he looked so damn real.  I love that Square has truly talented 3D team, where even if the PSX wasn't that powerful, they knew how to colour the models to make them look better than they technically were. Oh!  The electric snake was bad ass too.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2015, 02:57:03 PM »
...still have an RPGFan project in the works.  I do want to get back to this and defeat Sky Dragon.  I need to figure out who to pick as my third with Lynx and Fargo.  Maybe another blue innate so I can summon Frog Prince more quickly.  

As for the dragon battles, Earth Dragon was a pushover, Fire Dragon was easier than expected, Green Dragon spanked me till I worked the system, Water Dragon took a couple tries and was challenging (though Miki came through for me in the 11th hour), Black was a fun battle and I actually won it the first time around thanks to Miki again.  I was all like, "Yeah!  Don't mess with the princess!"  Sky's gonna be rough. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 08:03:36 PM by Dincrest »

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2015, 02:52:47 AM »
Can't wait for more updates.

Oddly, my experience when I played felt slightly different when I was young.
Red Dragon gave me a hard time (didn't bring water innates), Yellow was easy, Water I barely remember (so easy?), Black I kept trying to steal from, Green left my party crippled....almost literally (freaking sprain).

I also remember being content with "perfectly average" duo of Norris and Viper during that time (subbing in an innate of whatever appropriate element).

I also (also) remember being really fixated on looking at the special item pictures.  They're beautifully illustrated and I always liked how "same but different" the treasures were from the dragons --- you could tell they're the same "group" of items for the same achievement (ie; beatin' dragon ass), but look almost nothing alike.  Certainly a fun task for the game was probably drawing up weird timey-wimey space-place type of items as well (The Frozen Flame being a fantastically captured oxymoron with a deep series connection).

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2015, 03:18:59 AM »
Can't wait for more updates.

Oddly, my experience when I played felt slightly different when I was young.
Red Dragon gave me a hard time (didn't bring water innates), Yellow was easy, Water I barely remember (so easy?), Black I kept trying to steal from, Green left my party crippled....almost literally (freaking sprain).

I also remember being content with "perfectly average" duo of Norris and Viper during that time (subbing in an innate of whatever appropriate element).

I also (also) remember being really fixated on looking at the special item pictures.  They're beautifully illustrated and I always liked how "same but different" the treasures were from the dragons --- you could tell they're the same "group" of items for the same achievement (ie; beatin' dragon ass), but look almost nothing alike.  Certainly a fun task for the game was probably drawing up weird timey-wimey space-place type of items as well (The Frozen Flame being a fantastically captured oxymoron with a deep series connection).

Water Dragon is literally a case of 'Same Fight, but more HP' and a better tier of elements in this case. Fire isn't hard if you have some tanks to soak his hits since that's largely all he does. Earth is more about having a brand new area to explore and how annoying (not dangerous, just annoying) Earthquake is, rather than actually fighting the beast. Plant (or whatever its called) is the same as Earth except that Carnivore (the Green equivalent of Earthquake) is actually dangerous (on top of being really annoying). Dark is all about stealing that Plate while not getting randomly insta-wiped by Black Hole. And Sky is all about showcasing how completely OP'd White Elements are. So yeah, Sky's gonna be rough.

At least the best area of the game will open up as the next plot destination. Also, I have more words about the Dragons, but I'm going to refrain from posting them until Dincrest opens up the Final Dungeon (not that everyone doesn't already know what I'm going to say about them).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2015, 11:22:49 AM »
I quite like the dragons' designs.  For the most part, they look really unique and not like your typical dragons. 

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2015, 11:52:11 AM »
I quite like the dragons' designs.  For the most part, they look really unique and not like your typical dragons. 

Yeah, Sky and Dark taking the more 'typical route' (Red to some extent too, but with a funky 'gimmick'), but the Yellow and Green and Blue are just odd.  And I love it.

Ironically, I wasn't crazy about the dragon god design, mainly because it looked like a badass design....with a comically massive head.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2015, 06:44:13 PM »
I'm playing Chrono Cross again.  Yay!

I defeated the Sky Dragon.  Yay!  (My party was Lynx, Fargo, and Irenes.)  

Lynx got knocked out in the battle.  Boo!

Fargo failed to steal a White Plate.  Double Boo!  Fargo's been a lousy thief- he's only stolen green and black plates.  

Now it's back to Fort Dragonia!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 06:48:27 PM by Dincrest »

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2015, 07:01:20 PM »

Fargo failed to steal a White Plate.  Double Boo!  Fargo's been a lousy thief- he's only stolen green and black plates.  

Welp, so much for making NG+ Miguel easier.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2015, 08:16:06 PM »
I'll live. 

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2015, 08:21:14 PM »

Welp, so much for making NG+ Miguel easier.

God I hated that fight.  The guy defies judging a book buy its cover and would have made the White Plate worth it for just that.

Square Enix make a thief who can actually steal for once.  Not this butter finger bullshit

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2015, 08:25:58 PM »
Compared to Fargo, how are Kid and Mel as thieves?  Are the ladies any better?  (EDIT: Not that it matters, I know.)

Every time I fought the Sky Dragon, I stole a White Plate, but lost the battle.  The one time I win, Fargo misses.  

And I still think Lynx is a useless kitten in boss fights, and not being able to switch him out hurts. Too many boss fights have resulted in Lynx going belly up.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 08:45:09 PM by Dincrest »

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2015, 08:45:56 PM »
Compared to Fargo, how are Kid and Mel as thieves?  Are the ladies any better?

Every time I fought the Sky Dragon, I stole a White Plate, but lost the battle.  The one time I win, Fargo misses.  

And I still think Lynx is a useless kitten in boss fights, and not being able to switch him out hurts.

Doesn't matter since you won't have them for that part and the Dragons are really the only enemies worth steal from.

Though for the record, they do have a Double Tech that combines their efforts (much like Double Charm did between Marle and Ayla in Chrono Trigger). I don't know how effective it is though, because again, there's nothing that's really worth stealing for the parts of the game they're available in.