Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: Dincrest plays Chrono Cross PlayLog
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2015, 10:48:29 AM »
Thinking back to that Miguel battle (and the Garai battle and this one with Sky Dragon)... I have a save prior to the Sky Dragon so I've been trying to win the battle AND get a White Plate for NG+.  Lightning isn't striking twice.  It's like my one win was a stroke of luck but without the White Plate.  I must have done that fight 3-4 more times over.  I've tried with Miki (who was my MVP for some of the dragons), I've tried with Irenes (she was my MVP for the Miguel battle), I've tried with Marcy (I used a blue as my third in case I could summon Frog Prince as a gambit), but I think I'll try again with a Green as my third since the field starts out 2/3 green anyway. 

I thought with some time off for spring break I'd make some progress, but here I am redoing a battle I already won because I want that damn plate now.  I can always swipe Blue, Red, and Yellow plates next time. 

Is there some kind of accessory or anything that can boost Fargo's steal percent rate?  Or raise whatever stat is tied to his steal rate? 
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2015, 04:08:58 PM »
Thinking back to that Miguel battle (and the Garai battle and this one with Sky Dragon)... I have a save prior to the Sky Dragon so I've been trying to win the battle AND get a White Plate for NG+.  Lightning isn't striking twice.  It's like my one win was a stroke of luck but without the White Plate.  I must have done that fight 3-4 more times over.  I've tried with Miki (who was my MVP for some of the dragons), I've tried with Irenes (she was my MVP for the Miguel battle), I've tried with Marcy (I used a blue as my third in case I could summon Frog Prince as a gambit), but I think I'll try again with a Green as my third since the field starts out 2/3 green anyway. 

I thought with some time off for spring break I'd make some progress, but here I am redoing a battle I already won because I want that damn plate now.  I can always swipe Blue, Red, and Yellow plates next time. 

Is there some kind of accessory or anything that can boost Fargo's steal percent rate?  Or raise whatever stat is tied to his steal rate? 

Outside of maybe either the Silver Loupe, Sight Scope or Third Eye (adds either +2, +3 or +4 to overall Accuracy), or perhaps either the Dragoon's Honor or Dragoon's Glory (boosts Attack and Magic by +1/+1 or +3/+2 on top of the +2 or +4 to overall Accuracy), nope. There's nothing that influences your odds of stealing directly. Your best bet is to bring someone like Riddel along or have someone stock some Recharge Elements so that Fargo can have more than one shot to steal per run; or if you don't want to play around with recharging elements or frail healbots, you can always give Fargo the Dreamer's Scarf so that you can have him Pillage immediately, and if that fails, run from the fight ASAP and try again.

As for the Dual Tech between Kid and Mel I mentioned earlier, its called Double Take and it only increases the probability of a successful steal from 1 enemy (assuming it even works right/at all given that we're talking about a Square game, and half the shit in their games hardly works as advertised). Not that this matters anyways, since these two are completely unavailable for the one segment in the game where their presence would've been invaluable (and the real reason as to why Fargo is among the best characters in the game, because he is there when you need a thief).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2015, 04:24:40 PM »
I JUST beat Sky Dragon again AND I got a White Plate!!!  It was an exciting battle.  Lynx was a heavy hitter this time with normal attacks doing 170-220 hp of damage and I cast ForeverZero and Glidehook, which both packed a wallop.  My third party member was Karsh, and he withstood pretty well with strong attacks and green elements to shift the tide early on (since the field starts 2/3 green.)  After Sky Dragon cast Ultra Nova, Lynx went belly up.  From then on, it was hit with Fargo and Karsh, then heal.  After one round of Holy Breath, Karsh went belly up and Fargo had only 15 hp left, no elements, and only 2 levels of attack available.  I did a level 1 desperation hit, and it was the straw that broke the camel's back. 

It was a truly exhilarating battle. 
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2015, 04:30:36 PM »
I JUST beat Sky Dragon again AND I got a White Plate!!!  It was an exciting battle.  Lynx was a heavy hitter this time with normal attacks doing 170-220 hp of damage and I cast ForeverZero and Glidehook, which both packed a wallop.  My third party member was Karsh, and he withstood pretty well with strong attacks and green elements to shift the tide early on (since the field starts 2/3 green.)  After Sky Dragon cast Ultra Nova, Lynx went belly up.  From then on, it was hit with Fargo and Karsh, then heal.  After one round of Holy Breath, Karsh went belly up and Fargo had only 15 hp left, no elements, and only 2 levels of attack available.  I did a level 1 desperation hit, and it was the straw that broke the camel's back. 

It was a truly exhilarating battle. 

Btw, do you have the Mastermune yet? If you have the Black Plate, you can probably do it now.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2015, 05:01:03 PM »
I do have a black plate

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2015, 05:16:17 PM »
I do have a black plate

If you haven't done it yet, go raid Another World's Viper Manor with Karsh in tow for some valuable loot for some characters and a message to go to the Isle of the Damned. If you've done that, go to the Isle of the Damned, fight the boss there (who should be cake at your Star Level), and watch the scene. If you've done all of that, take both Karsh and Riddel to the Danger Forbidden Zone. After that, you should have the Mastermune.

Edit: If at any time, you have trouble getting past any part of this sequence, go raid Fort Dragonia WITHOUT using the Dragon's Tear (there are two reasons for this: the first is that you'll be passing up some really nice swag, the second is if you complete Fort Dragonia, you'll have Serge back, and even with the Black Plate, you'll probably need to complete Chronopolis before getting the Mastermune as one Black Plate won't be enough to cover two White Innates).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 05:32:00 PM by Aeolus »

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2015, 05:42:25 PM »
I just defeated Dario, and to be honest, he was a bit of a wuss.  I discovered that every time I used a red element attack, he'd only counter with numble, so I spammed the hell out of red elements. 

Basically, it was the same strategy I used with the Red Dragon, only with opposite colors. 

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2015, 05:51:57 PM »
I just defeated Dario, and to be honest, he was a bit of a wuss.  I discovered that every time I used a red element attack, he'd only counter with numble, so I spammed the hell out of red elements. 

Basically, it was the same strategy I used with the Red Dragon, only with opposite colors. 

That's the easy modo way of beating him. Now do it again legitimately. Congrats on getting the most powerful weapon of the game (you'll still want to get a Spectra Swallow at some point simply because you can't carry the Mastermune over to NG+; you can earn it again, but you won't be able to get it prior to rescuing Riddel).

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2015, 05:56:47 PM »
Considering I did not use a GameShark or other such cheat device, I consider it a legit victory. 

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2015, 06:52:11 PM »
Considering I did not use a GameShark or other such cheat device, I consider it a legit victory. 

Meh.

After all the trouble you went through with the Dragons, I was hoping for an amusing "OH SHIT!" response to Dario like I did on my first playthrough. But then again, you're also not a teenager with limited access to the Internet who still considers FF games to be reasonably challenging.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2015, 11:28:21 PM »

That's the easy modo way of beating him. Now do it again legitimately. Congrats on getting the most powerful weapon of the game (you'll still want to get a Spectra Swallow at some point simply because you can't carry the Mastermune over to NG+; you can earn it again, but you won't be able to get it prior to rescuing Riddel).

Isn't it you just use characters of certain innates because Dario counters with 'non-threatening' attacks?

Don't knock the Shark.

Meh.

After all the trouble you went through with the Dragons, I was hoping for an amusing "OH SHIT!" response to Dario like I did on my first playthrough. But then again, you're also not a teenager with limited access to the Internet who still considers FF games to be reasonably challenging.

FF9 is a test of patience countered by sheer joy over everything else.

Fuck you Squeenix for giving us 8 versions of all but the best FF titles.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2015, 02:28:13 AM »

Isn't it you just use characters of certain innates because Dario counters with 'non-threatening' attacks?

Elements.

The characters you take with you into the Dario fight are fixed because you need both Karsh and Riddel with you to jog his memory and trigger the boss fight, and you don't get a chance to switch out or anything. Using an element will cause Dario to counter with an element of the opposite color, but some of those counter elements really suck, so you just load up on elements that he can't effectively counter and blast him into the ground while he wastes all his time/stamina spamming worthless status effects.

Normally, you'll either try to take him physically or blast him with White Elements which causes him to counter with a far more effective suite of elements and it becomes a massive damage race (which you'll lose if he goes after Riddel and she's not wearing the Black Plate as she will get OHKO'd full-stop; she'll only have to worry about physical attack which have a high probability of OHKOing her but at full health, with a Phys Def buff and the Golden Earring, she might survive a direct hit). Alternative strategies involve giving Karsh the Black Plate and have him and Lynx (with the Memento Pendant) try to tank it out on their own, getting Serge back and giving him the Black Plate and try to have Karsh defend and heal while Serge goes it alone (you pretty much need to be past Chronopolis to be able to pull this off since Karsh won't last long without the extra HP or stats to improve his healing ability). Or of course, you can not be a stubborn idiot (like I am) and go for the way listed in the first paragraph since its there and requires almost no major planning beyond pattern recognition and a healthy supply of the proper elements (you don't even need the Black Plate for this, not that there aren't other uses for the Black Plate).

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2015, 05:12:56 PM »
Dice- I wholly justify use of a GameShark for Xenosaga II.  

And so far, the most challenging boss battles for me have been Garai, Miguel, and Sky Dragon.  And since I have a White Plate, they'll be easier during NG+.

Anyway, I got through Fort Dragonia again, fought Dark Serge (annoying battle with Lynx, Miki, and Viper.  Viper went belly-up twice and Miki was my MVP who dealt the death blow.)  I didn't need to see Serge's skinny tushie and am glad that Lynx saw fit to leave him a spare outfit.  I can only imagine him presenting himself to Steena in all his glory. 

I picked up Orlha and am now going hither and yon till I need to go to Divine Dragon.

I had an "I am you and you are me" moment with Nikki and he learned Limelight.  I also had Miki in my party and Nikki was surprised that she was in his quarters.  That was kinda awkwardorable.  I also got 2 Einlanzers for Glenn.  

I love those "I am you and you are me" moments in Chrono Cross.  They're like the equivalent of me taking everyone in my party to meet Crono's mom in Chrono Trigger.  Her interaction with Frog was the best!  I did "I am you and you are me" with Miki and was amused by the manager guy's reaction- "The Punk Ladies."  And her own nonchalance at herself was nice.  Miki definitely reminds me of a jaded stripper chick I once knew.    
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 01:57:17 PM by Dincrest »

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2015, 05:49:43 PM »
Mastermune

+

I also got 2 Einlanzers for Glenn.

You basically won the game by now.
Doesn't even matter who you pick as 3rd character because Serge and Glenn will demolish anything anyway.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2015, 09:48:02 PM »
Mastermune

+

I also got 2 Einlanzers for Glenn.

You basically won the game by now.
Doesn't even matter who you pick as 3rd character because Serge and Glenn will demolish anything anyway.

He still has to get the Developer's Ending and use both Z-Slash and Delta Force at least once, but his first game run is basically complete at this point (he should also forge a Spectra Swallow, a Spectral Staff and maybe a Crystalpan C6; you'll get a Spectral Glove in the final dungeon which you should probably hold off on equipping until after you beat the game; if you really have some time to burn, trap a set of Level 7 Summons (trust me, this is more of a time saver than you'll realize if you go NG+), and maybe construct a Rainbow Axe and Prism Pick for good measure; don't bother with the Prism Mail/Vest/Helmet).