Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: Dincrest plays Chrono Cross PlayLog
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2014, 11:10:10 AM »
I get the feeling the list was comprised of fan votes/polling and as you very well know in real world politics, the majority of people who actively vote in political elections are stupid- be it senile stupid or uneducated stupid. 

And, yeah, Yellow gets no love in this game.  So far, my best yellow's been Norris. 
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2014, 03:23:45 PM »

And, yeah, Yellow gets no love in this game.  So far, my best yellow's been Norris. 

I love Norris.  Certainly being from Porre is pretty interesting character detail in and of itself, but also how h e has this "Arian Race" look that indeed works for his military and complicated position given the later CT history where Porre is somewhat a threat.

I really wish I posted here more, I was sorta 'away' for a few days.

I do wanna add that I really love the "Character Get" bubbles that pop up.
"ZOAH HAS JOINED THE PARTY" had me in stitches the first time I saw it.

I love when you get Lynx a lot of White Innates seem to show up.  And yeah, I remember scoffing at Miguel but the dude is a real pain.  I got really screwed around that area too because I didn't have the Revive Spell and they're super hard to come by in the game.

I hate the Isle of the Damned.  Certainly in one part because it's pretty ugly compared to, really, just about everywhere else in the game.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2014, 06:37:22 PM »
As Lynx, I have not snagged a single white innate.  I've gotten a lot of greens, though.  As Serge, I got a ton of reds but now as Lynx I only have one.  My entourage so far: Lynx, Sprigg, Harle, Radius, Van, Zappa, Norris, Irenes, Zoah

I'm going through Viper Manor again.  My party is Lynx, Norris, and Zoah mostly for "meta" purposes.  I had an "I am you and you are me" moment with Norris and snagged the tech in Zoah's room.  I'll definitely swap out for the impending boss battle since two yellows seems iffy in any circumstance.  For now, I'm getting through the sewers. 

Oh, after tomorrow I'll be putting Chrono Cross on hold.  I do not want to, but I've been tasked to review a game for the site so until that's done my Chrono Cross journal will be on hiatus. 
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2014, 10:57:31 PM »
I think she's referring to the fact that you have to fight a lot of White Innates during this point of the game. But yeah, you're about to start collecting White Innates starting with Riddel.

Anyways, I'm not even going to touch that comment about voting (that list was comprised off of comments in various threads and is biased towards attractiveness). Instead I'm going to go to town on why Yellow Elements suck.

The problem with Yellow in general is the fact that it doesn't really have anything going for it elements wise. White, Blue and Green have healing, Red has consumables that can recharge your Elements (and can also heal at the start), Black and Blue have excellent added effects to their high end elements (Instant Death and Freeze respectfully), Red can lower defenses with Burn, White can Buff Magic and Debuff Magic Resist as well as shutting it down wholesale with MagNegate, Red can Buff and Debuff Strength as well as Accuracy, Black can also Buff and Debuff Magic, Blue gets a copy of its level 1 Summon for free (the rest you have to trap) and White and Black elements are typically used on powerful foes like bosses which leads to getting more mileage out of their attack magics in general versus other elements.

All Yellow has going for it is PhysNegate which can block physical attacks to a single target for three turns. Nice if you need some breathing room while fighting beefsticks, but generally speaking Elements come up more often than Techs and PhysNegate doesn't really last long enough to really make a huge difference (only enough to give yourself some breathing room) and it only targets a single target. And as you noticed during the Miguel fight that playing defensively doesn't work nearly as well as going for the big numbers. Beyond that though, Sprain lowers damage (which tends to be far more annoying for your guys than the enemy), Dizzy lowers evade (big whoop), Buffs and Debuffs Defense (the Debuff is useful with a party of Physical Attackers, the Buff is relatively useless though) and half of its attack spells have the added caveat of only being effective against grounded enemies (flying enemies are completely immune to the Earth based Elements, leaving you to go at them with the Thunder spells instead).

Basically, Yellow is only really good if you're rocking a party of physical attackers against physical based Green Innate enemies.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2014, 01:56:09 PM »
So I finished Viper Manor.  Gosh that was annoying.  Roachester was a pain because of his high evade.  Hell Cook was cake.  Grobyc wasn't too bad, but he killed off Lynx.  Right after that battle, Guillotine did HotEdge on 1HP Lynx as his opening move, killing him off and leaving Zoah and Zappa to clean up the mess.  After the chase scene, I had to fight the damn thing AGAIN!  I managed to restore Lynx's HP, but it wasn't enough and he was killed off AGAIN!!!  Zoah and Zappa cleaned up the mess, though.  

I remember when someone back in the day here at RPGFan referred to Kimahri (FFX) as a "useless kitten."  Given how many times Lynx has gone belly up in boss battles, I'm calling him "useless kitten."  

Then I went to Hermit's Hideaway, but forgot to switch Zappa out for Radius, so I missed another "I am you and you are me" moment.  Dammit!  

Anyway, everyone and their dog joins the party aboard Fargo's ship, and when Harle asked me if I'd choose the world or her, I chose the world, because what's the point of choosing a girl, any girl, if there's no world to enjoy time with her in?  No brainer, there.  And then she went poof.  

So I decided to make Fargo pay a little visit to Fargo to hopefully knock some sense into Fargo so he'll knock off his nonsense.  I did and the gang liberated Marbule, recruited Miki, defeated the water dragon (I finished him off with Miki's SexyWink), had a fight with Orlha, learned more about Karsh during an encounter with Solt and Peppor, and defeated the black dragon in Another World's Marbule.  And, yes, I made sure to take Miki to Home World Arni to meet the fan (just like I did with Nikki in Another World).  Oh and I'm now in Gaea's Navel, I found Leah (chibi-Ayla) and am exploring.  

Who do I have now: Lynx, Norris, Viper, Riddel, Karsh, Zoah, Marcy, Zappa, Orcha, Radius, Fargo, Sprigg, Irenes, Van, Grobyc, and Miki.  And Leah (temporarily, according to the game.)

EDIT: I think it's funny how so many of the in-game guys are all ga-ga over Riddel.  I'm sure she's a nice young lady and everything, and she is pretty, but man she's such a textbook JRPG archetype.  She's what you'd expect a JRPG female lead to be, and I like that she isn't a lead.  Kid flipped that script.  Riddel is a very sheltered and demure healer whereas Kid is a brash and world-savvy thief.

EDIT 2: I wonder if during a sidequest or the game proper, there's a way I can get Miki to confess to Nikki.  That way that's resolved.  Although if those two end up together, they'll have to keep that on the down-low.  After all, Nikki being single is what will attract more female fans and Miki being single is what will attract more male fans who think they might have a shot with either.  

EDIT 3: And Gaea's Navel is where I will bookmark Chrono Cross for a while.  I've been tasked to review a game for RPGFan, so Chrono Cross will be on hiatus until that's done.  I'd rather be playing Chrono Cross, though.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 08:32:10 PM by Dincrest »

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2014, 02:47:48 AM »
So I finished Viper Manor.  Gosh that was annoying.  Roachester was a pain because of his high evade.  Hell Cook was cake.  Grobyc wasn't too bad, but he killed off Lynx.  Right after that battle, Guillotine did HotEdge on 1HP Lynx as his opening move, killing him off and leaving Zoah and Zappa to clean up the mess.  After the chase scene, I had to fight the damn thing AGAIN!  I managed to restore Lynx's HP, but it wasn't enough and he was killed off AGAIN!!!  Zoah and Zappa cleaned up the mess, though.  

I remember when someone back in the day here at RPGFan referred to Kimahri (FFX) as a "useless kitten."  Given how many times Lynx has gone belly up in boss battles, I'm calling him "useless kitten."  

Then I went to Hermit's Hideaway, but forgot to switch Zappa out for Radius, so I missed another "I am you and you are me" moment.  Dammit!  

Anyway, everyone and their dog joins the party aboard Fargo's ship, and when Harle asked me if I'd choose the world or her, I chose the world, because what's the point of choosing a girl, any girl, if there's no world to enjoy time with her in?  No brainer, there.  And then she went poof.  

So I decided to make Fargo pay a little visit to Fargo to hopefully knock some sense into Fargo so he'll knock off his nonsense.  I did and the gang liberated Marbule, recruited Miki, defeated the water dragon (I finished him off with Miki's SexyWink), had a fight with Orlha, learned more about Karsh during an encounter with Solt and Peppor, and defeated the black dragon in Another World's Marbule.  And, yes, I made sure to take Miki to Home World Arni to meet the fan (just like I did with Nikki in Another World).  Oh and I'm now in Gaea's Navel, I found Leah (chibi-Ayla) and am exploring.  

Who do I have now: Lynx, Norris, Viper, Riddel, Karsh, Zoah, Marcy, Zappa, Orcha, Radius, Fargo, Sprigg, Irenes, Van, Grobyc, and Miki.  And Leah (temporarily, according to the game.)

EDIT: I think it's funny how so many of the in-game guys are all ga-ga over Riddel.  I'm sure she's a nice young lady and everything, and she is pretty, but man she's such a textbook JRPG archetype.  She's what you'd expect a JRPG female lead to be, and I like that she isn't a lead.  Kid flipped that script.  Riddel is a very sheltered and demure healer whereas Kid is a brash and world-savvy thief.

EDIT 2: I wonder if during a sidequest or the game proper, there's a way I can get Miki to confess to Nikki.  That way that's resolved.  Although if those two end up together, they'll have to keep that on the down-low.  After all, Nikki being single is what will attract more female fans and Miki being single is what will attract more male fans who think they might have a shot with either.  

EDIT 3: And Gaea's Navel is where I will bookmark Chrono Cross for a while.  I've been tasked to review a game for RPGFan, so Chrono Cross will be on hiatus until that's done.  I'd rather be playing Chrono Cross, though.

Hope you unequipped Harle before she ran off with all your stuff (I forget whether she actually does run off with what's equipped to her, but better to be safe than sorry), cuz she's gone till NG+ (this is btw, why Harle sucks so much; you only have her until the midsection of the game).

I also hope you've been bringing Fargo to those Dragon fights in order to fulfill his true destiny, cuz you ain't gettin' no Developers ending without, at the very least, the Green Plate (the Blue Plate is also ideal to have, but Green is the quintessential one; the Black Plate is also really handy for some upcoming bosses and the White Plate will help save you some trouble during Lynx's section in future NG+s).

I also also hope you checked the Black Dragon's cave after beating him since the legendary weapon of evil's bane 'the Master Hammer' is handed to you once you've beaten the Dragon right and proper (and because you really need it if you want any Rainbow tier equipment as its needed to unlock your #1 source).

Anyways, welcome to the part where the game just starts dumping its entire cast onto you. The plot has kept your numbers down for a while now, but this is the point where everybody and their brother starts joining you.

Viper is a cool dude who's probably the third best character you unlocked from the Viper Manor sequence behind Fargo and Riddel. He's a solid physical fighter and yet another Yellow Innate. He stands out though in both his Dual Tech with Radius and the fact that he can get a really nice sword exclusive to him (which needs to be seen to be believed). His biggest issue is becoming available at this stage of the game in amidst this recruitment glut (at least he's a standout at the front of the conga line). If that tier list was worth anything, he'd be right alongside Karsh in terms of ranking.

Riddel is the second best character from the Viper Manor section for four reasons. First, she's your first non-Serge White Innate. Second, she is, without question, the best Healer in the game. Third is that she's the best Magic User in the game. And finally, she's the other character needed for Dario's sidequest. You must bring her and Karsh as your wingmen to finish up that sidequest since one alone isn't going to cut it and doing so will unlock her Level 7 Tech (among other really nice things). Tier list wise, Guile, Pierre and even Nikki should at least be below her since she has utility over them and they don't really have as much availability over her as they like to think they do.

Marcy is more or less just there. She's another Blue Innate caster that joins amid a sea of characters and unfortunately being both female and a kid-sized character doesn't do her (or anyone in this game) any good since all the female &| kid exclusive equipment kinda sucks. Without that going for her, she's competing with Irenes for your Blue Innate spot and Irenes has seniority and a better weapon type over her at least. IMO, Marcy's way too high on the tier list since she's got so little going for her. She should be over Orcha and under Miki.

Orcha is another physical Red Innate with utensils as his weapon type, which, if you've been nice to Kid at all prior to the Freaky Friday swap, makes him your sole user of that type for the run (otherwise Leena and Macha will be competing with him for new gear). Other than that, I never really used the guy that much. He does have an easy to acquire Level 7 Tech, but he's competing directly with Zappa for your physical Red Innate and unless you fuck up the Marbleu sidequest or forget to draw the Master Hammer, he's going to have a high end weapon over Orcha. Poor guy really doesn't have that much going for him which puts him down low on the list. Too many people are showing up all at once and there's not much to recommend him over any of the others.

Grobyc is here to replace Harle as your secondary Black Innate and is honestly better at it than her. First, he's a physical type with tonnes of HP and defense to go around. Second, he can rocket punch. Third, his hair turns into a beamsaber. Other than that, he's another take him or leave him type, though he'll have more value once you get Lynx back. If the mid tier of that ridiculous list wasn't so completely fucked up, he'd actually be close to where he should be placement wise (maybe a bit lower but not Sprigg low).

Miki is a Red Innate caster which is a fairly rare and actually kinda valuable niche (Kid fills it in later on, but that's if you ever decide to get her) in this game and would be worth quite a bit on its own, but she's also got a Dual Tech with Nikki which is really nice if you're a big fan of Nikki (once you get him back of course). Her biggest problem is actually recruiting her since you can fuck it up and lock yourself out on her. Well that, and she's yet another Glove user. That said, her rock opera concert is pretty sweet if you do the sequence correctly and should be worth enough on its own to bump her up to mid tier on that list, let alone her spell crafting niche.

Leah is why your other Yellow Innates suck so much. They're all physical and she's the physical-ist of them all. Her HP and Str growths are the highest in the game and she'll cap both out by then. She's also got a Dual Tech with Draggy for what its worth. It's too bad that female/kid exclusive gear sucks so much in this game because if she were packing that gimmick on top of everything else, she'd be Razzly/Glenn tier easily. Being able to use Hammers would've also have been nice for Master Hammer shenanigans, but she's stuck with the vanilla Axes weapon type. Despite all the things working against her, Leah could've easily sprung for upper mid tier, if not lower upper tier (higher than Grobyc at least).

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2014, 08:16:54 AM »

Hope you unequipped Harle before she ran off with all your stuff (I forget whether she actually does run off with what's equipped to her, but better to be safe than sorry), cuz she's gone till NG+ (this is btw, why Harle sucks so much; you only have her until the midsection of the game).

Before I swap out any characters, I always strip them clean of their elements and accessories.  I hadn't used Harle since the Miguel fight, so I'm 100% sure she's been stripped down since then.  

Fargo did not successfully steal a blue plate from the water dragon but he did steal a black plate from the black dragon.  For Blue and Black dragons, my party was Lynx, Fargo, and Miki.  Miki was obviously hit the hardest in the Blue battle, but she came through in the clutch for me.  In the Black battle, she outlasted the boys- her HP never got into the red.  I swapped her out for Leah in Gaea's Navel, though, so Fargo could steal stuff. 

Riddel is total archetype.  She's textbook frail healer- best healer in the party, but two straight whacks and she's done.  I do like her, though, because I haven't had a pure healer in the game at all.  
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 12:55:27 PM by Dincrest »

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2014, 02:21:23 PM »

Before I swap out any characters, I always strip them clean of their elements and accessories.  I hadn't used Harle since the Miguel fight, so I'm 100% sure she's been stripped down since then.  

Fargo did not successfully steal a blue plate from the water dragon but he did steal a black plate from the black dragon.  For Blue and Black dragons, my party was Lynx, Fargo, and Miki.  Miki was obviously hit the hardest in the Blue battle, but she came through in the clutch for me.  In the Black battle, she outlasted the boys- her HP never got into the red.  I swapped her out for Leah in Gaea's Navel, though, so Fargo could steal stuff. 

Riddel is total archetype.  She's textbook frail healer- best healer in the party, but two straight whacks and she's done.  I do like her, though, because I haven't had a pure healer in the game at all.  

If you fail at swiping a Plate, run from the fight and try again.

And yeah, Riddel's a total archetype. But in a game filled with weird hybrids and specialists, its good to be an archetype some days (especially if you put her in the right Elemental Plate beforehand).

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2015, 06:08:02 PM »
FINALLY done with the crappy game I had to review for the site.  

Now, it's back to 'Cross.  I'm still in Gaea's navel eliminating monsters.  Status effects are the bane of this stage, but Leah's attacks are comical to watch.  
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 06:11:39 PM by Dincrest »

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2015, 02:31:56 PM »
Okay, so I defeated the green dragon that looked like a massive toad.  I lost miserably the first time due to carnivore, but then I won slowly the second time just keeping the field from becoming all green.  Leah is in the party now. 

...and I'll have to put Chrono Cross on hiatus AGAIN due to a pair of RPGFan-related projects. 

Aurian

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2015, 12:03:48 PM »
You sound.... Cross.
😝

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2015, 04:48:23 PM »
Hah, love the pun.  I'm a fan of groaner puns. 

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2015, 05:29:38 PM »
Okay, so I defeated the green dragon that looked like a massive toad.  I lost miserably the first time due to carnivore, but then I won slowly the second time just keeping the field from becoming all green.  Leah is in the party now. 

...and I'll have to put Chrono Cross on hiatus AGAIN due to a pair of RPGFan-related projects. 

I think I finished that battle with three different status affects at the end of it.  Pain in the ass that fight is.  I remember having Norris and Lord Viper on the case though.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2015, 06:27:03 PM »
My team was Lynx, Fargo, and Leah. 

I feel like I should've used Miki, because Leah went down leaving Lynx and Fargo to clean up.  And in prior dragon fights, Miki has been my MVP.  I'll admit, despite seeming like she'd be a lame throwaway character she's definitely grown on me. 

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2015, 12:21:09 AM »
My team was Lynx, Fargo, and Leah. 

I feel like I should've used Miki, because Leah went down leaving Lynx and Fargo to clean up.  And in prior dragon fights, Miki has been my MVP.  I'll admit, despite seeming like she'd be a lame throwaway character she's definitely grown on me. 

Yeah, Leah is not known for her Magical Defense and she's a Yellow Innate in a fight against a Green Innate. Miki probably would've tanked better which is important for a healer since Lynx is too busy smacking things and Fargo's not that great support-wise and at this point a solid healer is rather important. This kinda shows badly on Leah since she's such a bad choice for the boss of the region you recruit her in which doesn't leave a good impression on players, but really, this is more of a case of the game desperately needing parties of 4 since most of the game will saddle you with at least one mandated character and on top of Serge/Lynx always taking up a slot (until NG+ where he only kinda takes up a slot), you have almost no real opportunity to try out other, less relevant, characters.

Also, yeah. Carnivore is really nasty status effect-wise since it hits everybody with a high chance to inflict Poison and its a high end element to begin with.