Author Topic: The SaGa (emphasis on the captials) Thread

Cyril

• View Profile
Re: The SaGa (emphasis on the captials) Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2014, 11:36:22 PM »
Hey, it's fine if you do.  You like what you like.  I don't particularly enjoy browser games and would prefer it be on a platform I do game on. 

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2014, 07:52:42 AM »
how much did you guys pay for your memory cards?  I spent like 60 bucks for a 64 gig.  Which was still a lot, but most people are acting like they had to hack off part of their leg in order to buy one.

I got an used 4 gig for €10 back when I bought the system. That was the best deal I could find and all I could afford at the time. I should probably upgrade since pretty much all the review copies I get a digital, but I'm managing by storing games I'm not playing on my PC.

Fun fact: most of my set-ups are usually shittier than those of my readers.

Fun fact 2: my PSP has 8GB, which I bought for €5.

CoreSignal

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2014, 02:26:55 AM »
This new SaGa game has me interested, especially since it's a Vita game. More Vita games are always good. I've only played SaGa Frontier 1 and 2 so I don't know about the others but SaGa Frontier 1 was a complete mess. Unbalanced battle system and strange town and dungeon designs. On the other hand, I really liked SaGa Frontier 2. Gorgeous art style and soundtrack, fun battle system, and the branching storylines. Too bad it also had some balancing issues/difficulty spikes. I'm very curious as to what this new SaGa game is gonna play like.

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2014, 07:48:10 AM »
SaGa Frontier is to date the worst commercial jRPG I ever remember playing and that's coming from someone who owns Ephemeral Fantasia. SaGa Frontier 2 on the other hand was a great game. From what I understand Unlimited was terrible so now its time for a good one again (unless they released some titles in between that I don't know about).
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 08:12:22 AM by Maxximum »
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2014, 01:35:00 PM »
@Maxx: Never heard of Romancing SaGa: Minstrel's Song and Emperors SaGa? They came out after Unlimited.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2014, 03:53:44 PM »
@Maxx: Never heard of Romancing SaGa: Minstrel's Song and Emperors SaGa? They came out after Unlimited.
I never heard of emperors saga myself, but romancing saga is quite good in my opinion. Kicking myself for having lost the copy of it I had...

TASTY!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2014, 04:22:21 PM »
I never heard of emperors saga myself, but romancing saga is quite good in my opinion. Kicking myself for having lost the copy of it I had...

Romancing SaGa: Minstrel's Song was a PS2 era remake of Romancing SaGa 1 on the Super Famicom and is probably the single best conventional (if there's really a 'conventional' for the series) title in the series. If only because they went back and fixed a few bugs/incomplete portions of the game, and added explanations for a lot of stuffs (you'll still get screwed over if you don't know what you're doing or don't have a guide handy, but at least its more due to the CR than anything else).

Emperor's SaGa was a CCG mobile game. Don't know the specifics, but it doesn't seem to be all that memorable. Its just kinda there really.

There's also The Last Remnant on Steam and the 360 only. Basically, it functions like a SaGa game but you control teams of people (ala Ogre Battle/Soul Nomad) instead of individuals. Also they didn't get the series' character designer on board and I forget what they did with the plot, but its not up to the series' standard and these make the game feel more anime than usual (though it does avoid the worst clichés).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2014, 05:03:17 PM »
I never played Unlimited SaGa, but I have heard some people say that the game is just misunderstood- that if the play mechanics were better explained then the game would be at least sorta kinda cool.  What say you folks?
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2014, 07:06:23 PM »
I say its infamy is the only reason that makes me interested in playing it. Then again, possibly my number one worst annoyance in RPGs are terrible systems so it might be better that I don't play it. Maybe there is a daring soul who'll make a journal out of it.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2014, 08:47:35 PM »
Yeah, one of my biggest pet-peeves with games is when they don't give you enough info on how things work. I couldn't even grasp the basics there...it was too confusing.

MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2014, 11:04:28 PM »
I never played Unlimited SaGa, but I have heard some people say that the game is just misunderstood- that if the play mechanics were better explained then the game would be at least sorta kinda cool.  What say you folks?

Long story short is that Unlimited didn't had the same luck Demon's Souls had in finding a sizeable devoted audience around the world.

It doesn't help either that much of what makes SaGa SaGa goes against virtually everything SQEX's audience search in their games. If Mana is FF's sister and Bravely Default is FF's little kid, then SaGa is like, the lost (eccentric) brother.

Also, I recommend reading this article:

Gaming Auteurs: Akitoshi Kawazu -- USgamer

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2014, 04:21:55 AM »

Nope
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 04:50:13 AM by Maxximum »
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2014, 05:30:12 PM »
I beat Saga 2 DS today, sort of getting lucky on the final boss when one of the goddesses fully restored my party. Definitely better than the Frontier games in that it keeps points of no return to a minimum, although I had to grind/do sidequests such as the arena for 10-15 hours before I could beat the game.