Author Topic: Let's Flailingly Dictionary Our Way through Nanatsu Kaze no Shima Monogatari.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile

WHAT IS THIS?:

Nanatsu Kaze... is sidescrolling adventure game made by Enix back in the 90s and released for the Saturn. It has bug catching and fishing in it. The character design in the game is /completely normal/.

Honestly I don't know much about it, although it's supposed to be a spiritual successor to Wonder Project J I guess?

Posting this as PDFs for now. I'll try to post the stuff in the thread itself later.

Stuff in bold is my attempt at translating. Please note that I have no idea what I'm doing.

Also I do own a legits copy of the game.

INDEX:
PART 1:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22006397/NanatsuKazeLP/Nanatsu%20Kazu%20LP%20-%20Part%201.pdf

PART 2:
http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=14757.msg352539#msg352539

PART 3:
http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=14757.msg352755#msg352755
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 02:45:10 AM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
Trying something new -- baking the subtitles into the screenshots and posting them here directly. Also sorry if the translations are wrong/stiff. I don't actually know Japanese.

Okay, fixed rendering on this bit. The cabinet face is even more terrifying now.

The book said the thing's name is Tokabiora, which is Tobira and Kao/Door and Face spliced together. So we could call this guy Dofaocer. (But that looks silly.)

This is followed by another text entry screen where I call him Garp.

I think the gist of this is more like "Something that is Garp's most favoritest thing of ALL TIME."

The FAQ on Gamefaqs said to enter Garp again, here, but I'm attempting to spell "doggy" instead. Because I like doggies.

Also, look at that smile on the door face!

Put in "night" here 'cause my mind gets loopy at night. Which should be regrettably obvious to anyone who's read anything I've posted after 2AM.

This just repeats the first question about what he liked again.

This brings up the storybook /thus far/

I'll try to translate the book later, as I'm having a way harder time with it than the narration. I do want to note though that, if you see the number 26 in this screenshot, that's how many seconds I took to answer my name. So the book's contents are somewhat dynamic. It also notes how many times I failed to plant the seed, how many steps I took before I tried planting it, etc.

When I walked up to the door, I heard some grumbling and metallic noises. I'll try to get a screenshot of the sound next time.

You leave the house and this scissor-rabbit-cat thing runs out at you, cutting up the grass, and scaring a frog in the process.

The bunny-thing walks down some roots. I need to try and get some videos of this, the animations are ADORABLE. Or you guys could play along with this :VVV

There's a hole in this door that I think I need to find an earring for. Also I hear frogs chirping which may be relevant later.

I can't go in this door, so I try the one next to it next and fiiiind...

A new friend! ... Dear lord.

I don't know if this means "mouth" or like, "closet opening", although I don't know if there's actually a difference in this case. Also it's probably more like "stubbornly shut" than just /stubborn/ per se.

Can't do anything with him for now, so let's go next door. I hear a cricket in here, which may be relevant later.

I talked to her again and got this prompt. The name defaulted to Niifu.

She shakes her head if I give her the same name.

Let's try my name! I get a text entry box, try to enter Garp but misspell it, and she...  She liked it and gave me a horn I think? She spins around and chirps uncontrollably after I give her the new name.

I tried talking to her again. She chirps a LOT when you do this. Also, assuming grass-rat is whatever species she is.

I honk on the thing. Predictably, nothing happens. I think the manual said I use the horns to summon the friends.

Not sure what this is! Looks like a map, but I can't interact with it. Also on the last screen I had a frog and some brown, smiling? bug spawn while walking through the grass. Also a... rope bug?

Went down to the third level. Found that thing again! There's a... grinding/breathing noise here. Anyway, gonna wrap this session up and save.

Last thing before I end this session -- this is the book entry for the Grass Rat. Apparently I named her Garb. Because I misspelled Garp up there. Erm... okay!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:25:12 AM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not dream o/`

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
This looks interesting enough, but I feel that this won't be complete until you get stuck in a Honey Tree (or whatever passes for Honey Trees for a dragon, maybe a castle tower; oh bother).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
I'm migrating to videos after this -- screenshots aren't giving the full effect and they're getting kind of... long.

I decided to go to the right on the second level before going down to find the scissor-rabbit first. This is the kind of grass he cuts through. I can't walk through it now.

Also I found a way to interact with the snake with the map. Not entirely sure what the label says -- resolution is kind of low.

So the sound is this guy's pipe/snoring. You can also see one of the bugs bouncing around.

Honked the thing... Also I want to note that I original thought this was a giant dog, but the beard's clearly mandibles.

She's giving us something. Also, assuming Tamu is the spider's name -- that doesn't appear to be a word, but I'll need to check the book.

So we have a bug catcher now! Talking to her again repeats the same message.

A grabby arm. The kanji on the top of the screen are telling me what I have mapped to each button. So you can have one of each tool typed mapped to a button, and then x/z also end up on the shoulder buttons. It's a small thing but this is a really reasonable control setup that I felt like a lot of games from this era were missing?

Caught a bug. You have to get them mid jump I guess. Couldn't get a screen of the actual catching process

This is not a frog.

Bring the ringbug back to the spider. Also I'm wondering if these relate to that ear door from yesterday. I tried using it there but nothing happened.

Got another horn.

I tried blowing the Blue Horn by some grass... You'll see how this works out in the next update.

Name defaults to Kisuke. We'll keep it like that, since I don't feel like naming everyone after forum members.

You get to see the book after this, and the chapter ends.

When you try to exit the door, these guys show up.

The fox dude leaves, then this guy laughs and shouts at you.

Push him out the door...

The dragon quits jumping on the fox thing and goes away.

I want to note that this guy's a Propeller Rabbit. This is what the game calls him. Also the purple dragon is a Condor Penguin.
I would also like you to note that the Propeller Rabbit's forelegs are, apparently, hooves.

I reloaded and went back a bit. I was curious what happens if you lose the fight.

Not sure if I understand this right. I think the implication is that he's trying to steal your tree house.

It just makes you repeat that till you win.
o/` I do not dream o/`

Cyril

• View Profile
Those pictures of you losing the fight look rather lewd out of context.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
And thus the Hefulump and Woozle were once again defeated by Garp the Pooh.

Also, that Spider chick is missing a pair of arms.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.