Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 04:52:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334755 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  UMD Movies
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: UMD Movies  (Read 6259 times)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 10, 2006, 09:08:46 PM »

I'd like to see what everyone here thinks about the release of movies on UMD format.

I personally think it's a mixed bag.  I'd totally pick up some movies on UMD if they priced at $10 or less, but paying $15 or upwards of $25 for a UMD title is silly.

I did happen to get the first two seasons of Family Guy on UMD today for $25, which is what brought this up.  I'll get something like that, but wouldn't get it for the full retail price ($50).

What about you all?

-John

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 09:14:59 PM »

Personally, I think it's pointless and a waste. It'd be a nice novelty if they were cheap like you said, but as it is... It's a portable DVD. Might be handy for the road trips, but outside of that, why waste my money?

I'd probably be in a better position to offer my opinion though had I actually owned a PSP and some UMD movies.
Marona

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 09:41:36 PM »

Im not that huge on UMD movies either. I do travel on trains and busses a lot, but odds are ide much rather just use my PSP for games, since I have all of the movies I need at home for watch on my bigscreen already.
Kiem

kiemofsophos@hotmail.com Kiemofsophos
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 06:52:06 AM »

I'll have to agree with ya, John. The prices are far too high for the UMD format to truly be an option. You can easily buy a DVD player for less than a PSP and you can get DVDs for less than UMDs...so why get UMDs to begin with?

Not to mention, most UMD fail to have special features. Might not be a huge thing for some, but it is for me.

Another problem with UMDs at this moment is the library or lack there of. If sony wants the UMD movie market to be a success, they're gonna have to seriously rethink their plans.

Though, after all that, we can't forget that a new format is never cheap to produce which would explain why these movies are so expensive. DVDs get cheaper and cheaper because of huge companies buying in huge bulks as well. So the very reluctance of said companies will leave the UMD format at a high price. Ah, a cruel circle, indeed.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 12:07:46 PM »

So far I haven't used my PlayStation Portable for anything but listening to music and storing data. Since I recently ordered Sakura Taisen 1&2, it probably will be used more as an actual gaming handheld, though. UMD movies? I don't know. As others said above, they are quite expensive and the few good movies being available on the format, I already do own on DVD. Before I pay 25 euros or more for a movie, I will rather pay 10 to 15 extra euros and buy a game in Japan.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 09:36:19 PM »

UMD sucks.
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 01:27:29 AM »

I also think it is sort of a waste. It would be nice if cheap, but even so it is a gaming handheld first and foremost and not a dvd player (which 3/4 easily thought that what the psp is). A lot of stores I been to, the umd movies easily outnumber the games on the psp. I feel all these multi-functions makes this handheld lack primary focus which is on the games. Some complain nintendo products have no multi functions, but at least it focused entirely on games which is what it is all about.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
V-Dawg

PizMasta+V
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 02:49:13 AM »

UMDs are a waste of money. If I wanted to buy a movie, I'd buy myself a DVD which I can watch with other people on a screen larger than four inches.

And if I want to watch something on my PSP, I'll just stick it on my 2 gig memory stick. With the various codecs, etc. I can fit quite a lot on there instead of a single movie or couple episodes of some show.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 11:09:22 PM »

Well, I've got a 1gb memory stick and have a full season (13 episodes) of a show on there without issue, though it's not the full resolution quality.  Since I get a discount at work, I'll buy some of the used movies ($5 is a good price), but I simply can't see it working very well at the current prices.  It's cool because I'm stuck on campus all day, but I buy most of my movies on DVD.

-John

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 11:25:03 PM »

Quote from: "Marona"
Im not that huge on UMD movies either. I do travel on trains and busses a lot, but odds are ide much rather just use my PSP for games, since I have all of the movies I need at home for watch on my bigscreen already.

I'd just rather sleep most of the time, don't see the point in films on 16:9 small ass PsP screen :/

Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 05:48:21 AM »

See, in that situation, I'd probably have a portable DVD player packed away. I mean honestly, between my DS and a portable DVD player, I'd be getting more game and more movie. Yes, higher base unit cost, but also higher level of enjoyment. Plus I don't have to buy anything in a new format.

UMD can kiss my ass.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 04:17:01 PM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
I mean honestly, between my DS and a portable DVD player, I'd be getting more game and more movie.

See, that's the thing. If you're traveling a lot, that's a much better idea than just having a PSP with UMD movies and games, but if you're going to make one long trip, like going on a vacation somewhere or seeing relatives, and you already own a PSP, then just picking up a UMD movie or two (and either a car adapter or multiple batteries) will be more affordable for how much you'd use it. Naturally, that doesn't really apply if you don't own a PSP or have had a DVD player anyway.
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 06:41:00 PM »

Well here's the thing. I don't want to buy any of my movies over again just so I can watch them on my PSP. Why bother? I can just get a portable DVD player or a laptop for that. Sure it's more portable to have a PSP, but it's also more expensive and for less quality. And yes, I know, it's all very good to 'acquire' things, but I'd rather not. 'sides, I can just do that on DVD as well anyway if I was so inclined.

UMD sucks.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 07:25:51 PM »

I'm arguing that for those that don't take trips very often and want to watch a movie or show for one or two trips, it's cheaper to just get a UMD movie. If I don't have a good laptop or a portable DVD player yet have a PSP, it's just not practical to get those for that purpose, although the Laptop would be more useful overall in the long run. Of course UMDs aren't the optimal solution, but it's better for one 10-20 buck UMD than a few hundred for a portable DVD player or a thousand for a laptop.

By the way, that 'Blah blah UMD fucking sucks' shit is getting annoying. We got it the first two times you posted, do you really need to end every post with that? :P
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 10:55:41 PM »

I think it is fucking pointless.  There are portable DVD players with much larger screens available.  Movies bought to be played on them can also be played on computers and home DVD players as well.  UMD's can only be played on PSP's and in my opinion that makes them of limited utility.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: