Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 03:23:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327871 Posts in 13423 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  UMD Movies
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: UMD Movies  (Read 6051 times)
Dyne

CronoDyne CronoDyne
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2006, 12:54:05 AM »

The fact that you can just get a portable DVD player with a bigger screen is not the point.  Anyone who buys a PSP just for watching portable movies is an idiot anyway.  Since you have this gaming machine that has many other outlets of media, people will use it.  They know they can get a better DVD player, but they will use the one they already have.

Anyways, about UMDs and such....sure, they are convienent, but you can easily extract files from a DVD and convert them into a PSP playable movie file.  Thats what I do when I want to watch something.  Sure, you will need a large mem stick, but its better than buying overpriced UMDs.

Currently Playing:

PS2
- Tales of Legendia
- Grandia III

PSP
- Tales of Eternia

Waiting for...
- Kingdom Hearts II
- Suikoden V
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2006, 03:32:56 AM »

Dyne's got the track of thought I had. They are not the best solution, but for someone with a PSP but not a laptop/DVD player, they were the best option... Except, of course, for the example he listed, which is more affordable and senseable since you own the DVDs and all that already. :P

Single UMD movie is still better for a single one or two hour trip, but that works best for a much longer trip, plus doubles as a gargantuan memory card.
Scree

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2006, 07:57:41 PM »

I hear they are slowing down the release of movies on UMD. I don't balme them either. I don't think I'd every buy a UMD unless it was really cheap. But While they around the same price as the regular DVDs then I'm gonna continue with purchasing the DVD over the UMD.

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2006, 09:42:29 PM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
UMD sucks.

Yes.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was great when I got the DVD for 11 bucks.  Seeing it available for 35 dollars in UMD format makes me want to vomit in disgust.

Urban Sketch

timbrown96@hotmail.com Tha+Jamurai
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2006, 11:32:50 PM »

They're cool to have in times when you're not home and will have nothing to do for a few hours. Personally, I think I'd look a lot less dorky if I was watching a UMD movie in public than playing a game.

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2006, 01:53:38 PM »

Quote from: "Losfer"
Quote from: "Hidoshi"
UMD sucks.

Yes.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was great when I got the DVD for 11 bucks.  Seeing it available for 35 dollars in UMD format makes me want to vomit in disgust.

That's a huge markup, even for canadian dollars.  We have CTHD for $15 at my work on UMD.

-John

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: