Author Topic: New 3DS Fire Emblem Fates

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
New 3DS Fire Emblem Fates
« on: January 14, 2015, 09:52:37 AM »
http://gematsu.com/2015/01/new-fire-emblem-announced-3ds

So this month's Nintendo Direct has come and gone and all that was announced was a new one of these.

Nice that they managed to include feet this time, but with the naming scheme, I'm thinking Atlus might have had a hand in this one.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 06:34:29 AM by Aeolus »
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: New 3DS Fire Emblem If
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 09:59:27 AM »
I'm thinking Atlus might have had a hand in this one.

I was thinking the same  :P
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 11:07:18 AM »
Alright. I FINALLY got to watch the full announcement trailer and a couple of things stuck out to me (way to fucking shit yourself computer).

- First, this game is Japan as all hell (I mean, more so than usual).
- Second, it's pretty obvious that the game's running on Awakening's engine (which, tbf, I fully expected).
- Third, the music is really nice.
- Fourth, the main Lord dude looks effeminate as all hell (assuming that miss Dancer isn't some kind of Dancer Lord; which would be hilarious).
- Fifth, there looks to be a male Pegasus Knight and a female Fighter (or Barbarian).
- Sixth, that Dragon grasping the Dancer chick's neck is Naga (or Naga related), who then turns into the main Lord dude (which probably confirms my suspicion that the effeminate dude really is the main Lord).
- Seventh, there are goddamn maids (goddammit Japan).
- Eighth, there's also another obvious Camus archetype (but will he veer towards being a Zeke or will he pull an Eldigan?).

- And finally, there was absolutely nothing in here about SMT x FE goddammit (seriously Nintendo, you announced this two years ago, and I already know more about a game that was just literally announced two hours ago than I do about this; no seriously, god fucking dammit).

PaleRobbie

• Podcast Host
  • Administrator
  • Fear the old blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 11:13:19 AM »
Way more interested in STEAM than this game.  Awakening was my first real Fire Emblem game, and I didn't find it satiated my love of tactical combat.  Most of the game boiled down to "Make my numbers bigger through grinding" rather than brilliant battle planning.  Still, I really like the relationship stuff in Awakening. 

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 11:19:36 AM »
http://gematsu.com/2015/01/new-fire-emblem-announced-3ds

So this month's Nintendo Direct has come and gone and all that was announced was a new one of these.

Nice that they managed to include feet this time, but with the naming scheme, I'm thinking Atlus might have had a hand in this one.

I love how the first thing everyone is noticing is that the character models have feet this time around, haha!

Looks pretty cool. I really do enjoy Awakening a lot, but I'm hoping that they can tighten up the main narrative in this entry. DLC and being able to level grind is fine and all, but I'd like to see more actual story.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 11:25:54 AM »
Huh...

I didn't know that the art of Kozaki Yusuke had detractors (going by what I read in some parts after the announcement). Though, a chunk of them looks like they are prudes.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 12:00:48 PM »
Way more interested in STEAM than this game.  Awakening was my first real Fire Emblem game, and I didn't find it satiated my love of tactical combat.  Most of the game boiled down to "Make my numbers bigger through grinding" rather than brilliant battle planning.  Still, I really like the relationship stuff in Awakening. 

Unfortunately, it probably won't be any better this time around since Pair Ups/Dual Strikes/Guards are back. Maybe they'll throttle it back down to FE8 levels of grinding (but if they're doing relationship stuff again, we're pretty much screwed in terms of mechanics).

On the plus side, it'll definitely be better story-wise since they're not doing an abridged remake of FEs 1-3's plots (even if its going to turn into a murder mystery set in Feudal not-Japan or something).

PaleRobbie

• Podcast Host
  • Administrator
  • Fear the old blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 12:11:54 PM »
I really REALLY wanted to love Awakening, and it grabbed me for about five hours.  Unfortunately, the game feels so focused on the dual strike stuff that it begins to feel like the only real "tactical" part of the game.  Controlling choke points is fine, but when my protagonist in Awakening died because he fought eight dudes in a row who kept running up to the same spot and dying over and over again, well, that just doesn't seem right to me.  I wanted my protagonist to stop attacking, because I could see the death coming if he continued to clear out a space in front of him for attackers.  It's that weird meta game stuff that really bothers me in games.  It's like basketball where you want to commit a penalty because, in the end, it helps you.

Also, I still think there's something wrong when people play these games with permadeath and then restart if they lose a character.  Why?  Wouldn't it be more in the spirit of the game if you continued on because you lost a character and that's the end of the story?  Aren't you putting an artificial constraint on yourself if you choose to restart because you lost the kid with a bucket on this head?  Why not just play the game with permadeath off if you're just going to restart and play again and again until you get it right.  I think Tactics Ogre and FFT got this kind of thing right by giving you a chance to recover fallen allies.  It drove me nuts in Awakening to have reinforcements come out of the woodwork and kill a character that I had no chance of defending, forcing a restart. 

Sorry, rant over! 

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 03:15:51 PM »
- And finally, there was absolutely nothing in here about SMT x FE goddammit (seriously Nintendo, you announced this two years ago, and I already know more about a game that was just literally announced two hours ago than I do about this; no seriously, god fucking dammit).

I thought that was weird too. I think last year's E3 update was that they shelved work on SMT x FE (Wii U) in favor of Code Name S.T.E.A.M (3DS). I honestly didn't know they were working on another FE title for the 3DS until I saw today's Nintendo Direct. I did like the opening cinematics though, very cool. Judging from sales posted at http://natmonitor.com/2015/01/05/microsoft-and-nintendo-report-strong-sales-for-2014-holiday-season-to-sonys-dismay/ from last month, I kinda assumed work would speed up on SMT x FE. I guess we'll see as this year progresses.

I'm now curious as to whether this new FE 3DS title will take advantages of the New 3DS XL button/features coming out a month from now. Or how about Amiibos? It might be cool if these Fire Emblem Amiibos (Marth, Ike, Lucina and Robin) would do something for FE: Awakening player stats or this new upcoming FE IF title. I do know Amiibo support was announced for S.T.E.A.M..
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 03:25:54 PM by OrsonFury »

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 03:31:59 PM »
After taking a closer look at some of the screen shots, it occurs to me that the main Lord dude I was talking about in my earlier post is customizable like Kris and Robin were: Case and point (the person you're looking for is the one with the cape, white hair in the first screen shot and black hair in the second).

I really REALLY wanted to love Awakening, and it grabbed me for about five hours.  Unfortunately, the game feels so focused on the dual strike stuff that it begins to feel like the only real "tactical" part of the game.  Controlling choke points is fine, but when my protagonist in Awakening died because he fought eight dudes in a row who kept running up to the same spot and dying over and over again, well, that just doesn't seem right to me.  I wanted my protagonist to stop attacking, because I could see the death coming if he continued to clear out a space in front of him for attackers.  It's that weird meta game stuff that really bothers me in games.  It's like basketball where you want to commit a penalty because, in the end, it helps you.

Also, I still think there's something wrong when people play these games with permadeath and then restart if they lose a character.  Why?  Wouldn't it be more in the spirit of the game if you continued on because you lost a character and that's the end of the story?  Aren't you putting an artificial constraint on yourself if you choose to restart because you lost the kid with a bucket on this head?  Why not just play the game with permadeath off if you're just going to restart and play again and again until you get it right.  I think Tactics Ogre and FFT got this kind of thing right by giving you a chance to recover fallen allies.  It drove me nuts in Awakening to have reinforcements come out of the woodwork and kill a character that I had no chance of defending, forcing a restart. 

Sorry, rant over! 

That's actually a thing to watch out for across the entire FE series and not just Awakening. Its extremely rare to have a character so massively overpowered that they become totally invincible and can safely ignore whatever the game can possibly throw at them (and when it happens, its usually on the villains team). The issue is the fact that certain characters fulfill certain roles based upon their class, stats, abilities and whatever tools they're outfitted with, and its important to be mindful of both your own guys' roles as well as the enemies' roles. Having a DPS (damage per strike) try to choke a point isn't that good of an idea for the very reason you mentioned, but neither is a Tank that's unsupported and is facing down a hoard of DPS killdozers. Sometimes, it's better to bring a weaker weapon or no weapon at all when the situation calls for it. Even if your guy isn't doing any damage, stopping 8 enemies from also attacking that turn is a hell of a trade off in terms of opportunity costs.

Awakening's problems lie more specifically with Dual Strike and Dual Guard being so effective and the fact that only the player ever benefits from it. Chapter 4's boss on Normal mode has a skill called Dual Strike+. He (she) only has this skill because of his (/her) Lord class but is utterly useless to him (/her) since there's never an opportunity for it to ever be used (until he/she joins your team). And when you pair the effects of a high level of Support, your chances to score a free attack on any enemy skyrockets up by a solid 40%, as well as your chances of straight up negating any attack no matter how potent by a less impressive (but still not insignificant) 12%. If both the effects were toned down and if enemies had access to the Pair Up and Support systems themselves, it wouldn't be nearly as gamebreakingly powerful. It'd also help if fewer maps weren't so open plains/largely open buildings-ey (I'm looking at you Chapters 22 and 23).

I will admit that the reinforcements arriving at the start of the enemy's turn instead of the end was obnoxious, especially when all you know is that they're coming and not what or where specifically. Hopefully, this time they'll make the differences between the game's difficulty levels less extreme.

I thought that was weird too. I think last year's E3 update was that they shelved work on SMT x FE (Wii U) in favor of Code Name S.T.E.A.M (3DS). I honestly didn't know they were working on another FE title for the 3DS until I saw today's Nintendo Direct. I did like the opening cinematics though, very cool. Judging from sales posted at http://natmonitor.com/2015/01/05/microsoft-and-nintendo-report-strong-sales-for-2014-holiday-season-to-sonys-dismay/ from last month, I kinda assumed work would speed up on SMT x FE. I guess we'll see as this year progresses. I'm now curious as to whether this new FE 3DS title will take advantages of the New 3DS XL button/features coming out a month from now.

They didn't shelve SMT x FE though. Last E3 they said that they were working on it and it was coming along on schedule and literally nothing else before or since then (outside of the initial announcement and that it'd be more of a conventional RPG immediately thereafter). I think it mostly has to do with Atlus being the actual studio developing SMT x FE since Int Syst now have this game along with Code Name STEAM on their plate. Admittedly, I'm not terribly worried either way though since this game is literally built on Awakening's engine so its not nearly the same amount of work needed to make a brand new game with, and the E3 update came after the messy Index bankruptcy. Plus Atlus isn't exactly known for giving updates on their in development projects, just look at SMT Devil Survivor 2: Break Record. Years of silence then 'bam', suddenly an announcement of its release date, box art and a very brief mention of the fact that there will be a new scenario included in the game.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 04:46:12 PM »
Also, I still think there's something wrong when people play these games with permadeath and then restart if they lose a character.  Why?  Wouldn't it be more in the spirit of the game if you continued on because you lost a character and that's the end of the story?  Aren't you putting an artificial constraint on yourself if you choose to restart because you lost the kid with a bucket on this head?  Why not just play the game with permadeath off if you're just going to restart and play again and again until you get it right.

I think there's a good discussion to be had for 'failure' to have it's own rewards.
I think permadeath as it exists is a bad idea too because nearly everyone resets and tries again.
Some games take away your ability to load previous saves (X-COM) which I guess is one way of doing it.
I dunno... it just feels like it could be done a lot better.

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 04:46:33 PM »

I think this is partially because of the FE series' legacy of being unforgiving if you mess up. I actually like perma-death for that reason, because it means that I can't just charge through everything, lose a few characters for the rest of the chapter, and still succeed. Instead, I pick my battles and movements carefully and cautiously to avoid (as much as possible) perma-death. One of those choices being what you described in your first paragraph. As Aeolus pointed out, it's often not a good idea to have a DPS unit defending a line. You can unequip them, or equip a weaker weapon to prevent them from killing or getting killed by eight consecutive enemies.

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand your rant. There are still instances where I find myself in trouble because one of my units is strong and fast enough to take out eight units, but doesn't have good enough defense or evade to keep from getting killed by said units.

I guess what I like about perma-death is that I have to be meticulous. Sure, it can be frustrating and time consuming, but I find it much more rewarding when I finish a challenging map without having any units die. Sometimes it can take a few tries, but in the end the satisfaction makes up for it. At least for me.

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 08:01:55 PM »

see thats one of the problems with strategy rpg's and why i have a love/hate relationship with valkyria chronicles. the rpg elements make you start to care about or like the characters. but the strategy element clashes with that. so i tend to hate srpg's that go heavier on the strategy.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 11:28:54 AM »
True, but going too heavy into strategy can also lead the game becoming more of a puzzle game rather than a strategy game. Look at some of the Advance Wars Advanced Campaigns and how some of them basically require figuring out the one play that the devs intended players use to get through it. It's a danger that all SRPGs face.

Meanwhile, in other news: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/01/15/fire-emblem-also-gets-new-card-game-manga-japan/

So FE gets a manga and card game in Japan (again).

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 07:00:05 AM »
True, but going too heavy into strategy can also lead the game becoming more of a puzzle game rather than a strategy game. Look at some of the Advance Wars Advanced Campaigns and how some of them basically require figuring out the one play that the devs intended players use to get through it. It's a danger that all SRPGs face.

Meanwhile, in other news: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/01/15/fire-emblem-also-gets-new-card-game-manga-japan/

So FE gets a manga and card game in Japan (again).
I would totally buy those cards just for the artwork if it got a U.S. release.