Author Topic: New 3DS Fire Emblem Fates

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: New 3DS Fire Emblem Fates
« Reply #300 on: April 25, 2016, 04:01:56 PM »
(I have a soft spot for tsundere archers, so what?)

That's a very specific fetish

It's more that I often sympathise with characters like that (and there are a lot of them, weirdly enough), because it's often a little like looking into a mirror. Some of Takumi's insecurities and character flaws hit a little too close to home*.  ... Which is why, no, I'm not going to make him the avatar's husbando. I named her after myself and that'd just be weird. I mean, more weird than I'm already being.

That's not weird.  Kagero is the most like my actual wife and I ended up waifu-ing her.  FOLLOW YOUR HEART!!*
I really think you should marry Takumi if you like him that match.  Think of all the cute Bonding scenes you'd get.

In general, do not actually do this. It's terrible advice.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 25, 2016, 05:28:14 PM »

As for Azura and Takumi, you could always pair them together, Kiragi will appreciate the extra Strength and Speed Growths (and if you wait long enough Azura could pass down Foreign Princess which would be ridiculous on somebody other than her, assuming you buy it off of an earlier Azura since she'll be hard pressed to pick it up before the main campaign is done).

Erh, what's Azura's fate in Revelation? I mean, I want a nice wife for Takumi because of the bullshit he went through in the other paths. (I have a soft spot for tsundere archers, so what?) 'Here, cheer up, have a lovely wife that'll soon be gone!' doesn't seem quite right.

Nor is the fact that they're cousins (assuming I'm remembering correctly and that Mikoto was actually Takumi's and Sakura's biological mother, otherwise nevermind), but for the purposes of eugenics, Kiragi would greatly appreciate Azura's genes and Shigure will appreciate Spear Fighter access.

I forget the specifics in regards to Azura's fate though. She either needs you to clear the Final Chapters quickly, or needs to S-rank Male Corrin. My original plan (or what's left of it) was to go through Revelations with a Fe Corrin and see what happens to Azura if you only marry her to some other schlep (like Takumi).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 26, 2016, 04:11:55 AM »
I think it kind of goes like this: Both kings had four kids with their first wife. First wife dies when the kids are still very young. Then they both married another woman who'd already had a child with another man. That's why Azura is technically a Nohrian princess. However, it seems her mother died soon after marrying the king of Nohr, and she never got much of a chance to meet her new siblings. In short, both Azura and the avatar are not related by blood to any of the royals. However, this is Fire Emblem, so I wouldn't be surprised if those two end up being cousins or something.

FOLLOW YOUR HEART!!

But the game won't let me marry Soleil unless I make my avatar grow a dick!

I really think you should marry Takumi if you like him that match.

Well then, maybe I will!

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 26, 2016, 06:55:17 AM »
I think it kind of goes like this: Both kings had four kids with their first wife. First wife dies when the kids are still very young. Then they both married another woman who'd already had a child with another man. That's why Azura is technically a Nohrian princess. However, it seems her mother died soon after marrying the king of Nohr, and she never got much of a chance to meet her new siblings. In short, both Azura and the avatar are not related by blood to any of the royals. However, this is Fire Emblem, so I wouldn't be surprised if those two end up being cousins or something.
Close. That is accurate for Hoshido. But in Nohr the king is a horn dog and had at least five wives (or at least officially recognized lovers), four of which produce children and the fifth being Azura's mom. So they are all half-siblings in Nohr.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 26, 2016, 07:35:43 AM »
Wow, that makes it really surprising the Nohr kids actually look like eachother. Guy must have had a thing for blondes.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 26, 2016, 12:30:14 PM »
Wow, that makes it really surprising the Nohr kids actually look like eachother. Guy must have had a thing for blondes.

Its why they refer to the events prior to the game as the Concubine Wars (no, seriously).

But yeah, the only thing I was having difficulty recalling was whether or not Sumeragi had only two wives or three. I know that Mikoto ends up as your wingman (from beyond the grave) for pursuing Takumi's S-rank, but I forget if that's because she's not his mother or because the Avatar is only his half sibling and considered that to be enough of a technicality.

Code: [Select]
Its going to come out that Mikoto and Azura's Mom are honest-to-god sisters during Revelations, hence why all this parading around the issue of incest winds up being fairly meaningless in the end. First cousins are apparently a-okay.
Still, none of this is as fucked up as Odin's, Lazlow's or Selena's situations can be.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 26, 2016, 04:17:16 PM »

Its why they refer to the events prior to the game as the Concubine Wars (no, seriously).

That sounds a lot more interesting than the stuff that goes on in Fates. Like, warring houses, lots of backstabbing and intrigue.

But yeah, the only thing I was having difficulty recalling was whether or not Sumeragi had only two wives or three. I know that Mikoto ends up as your wingman (from beyond the grave) for pursuing Takumi's S-rank, but I forget if that's because she's not his mother or because the Avatar is only his half sibling and considered that to be enough of a technicality.

I checked.
The Notnippon siblings het a free Marmalade Boy-style pass. Now the only thing that could screw up Kiragi genetically is the fact that my avatar is kinda mage-like.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 26, 2016, 08:50:34 PM »

That sounds a lot more interesting than the stuff that goes on in Fates. Like, warring houses, lots of backstabbing and intrigue.

I checked.
The Notnippon siblings het a free Marmalade Boy-style pass. Now the only thing that could screw up Kiragi genetically is the fact that my avatar is kinda mage-like.

At least he'll have access to a Shining Bow.

And Revelations' plot isn't as bad as Conquest's. Intsys had to settle for the lesser known writer of the Senran Kagura games over the Kindaichi Case Files guy, so you know it can't be as bad (and I even think I've heard people say that Corrin does something approaching not-idiotic on that route).

Andrew

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 26, 2016, 08:56:11 PM »
Excuse the slight derailing for a moment, but when this FINALLY comes out here at the end of May, which one should I get? From what I understand Conquest is harder and features more unique mission objectives than Birthright? For those of you who are playing one or both, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 27, 2016, 07:13:22 AM »
Excuse the slight derailing for a moment, but when this FINALLY comes out here at the end of May, which one should I get? From what I understand Conquest is harder and features more unique mission objectives than Birthright? For those of you who are playing one or both, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
That is an accurate description of the difference between the two mechanically. If you plan on playing both/all three, I would recommend going Birthright->Conquest->Revelation as I feel the story works best in that order. If you plan on only playing one then yeah Conquest is harder, but has the worse story between the two main entries.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 27, 2016, 03:44:28 PM »
Think of all the cute Bonding scenes you'd get.

Okay, so I married Takumi. I'm pretty happy with my choice. My last two husbands were total doormats, and this relationship feels a lot more equal. Plus, we like the same things, so that's cool.

However, there's just one tiny little problem... His bonding scenes are adorably awkward. Like, he's nervous about kissing or any touching in general really, which is weird because:

WE HAVE TWO CHILDREN

Baby dimension aside, I assume those children were made the traditional way. You do know how babies are made, right, Takumi? I mean, you were there! You didn't have a front row seat, you were part of the act! Unless... Oh god, how much alcohol and/or other substances were involved? What did my avatar do to you?!

Oh well, I guess I should just write it off as another facet of Fates' failed writing...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 03:47:10 PM by Tomara »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 27, 2016, 04:14:52 PM »
Think of all the cute Bonding scenes you'd get.

Okay, so I married Takumi. I'm pretty happy with my choice. My last two husbands were total doormats, and this relationship feels a lot more equal. Plus, we like the same things, so that's cool.

However, there's just one tiny little problem... His bonding scenes are adorably awkward. Like, he's nervous about kissing or any touching in general really, which is weird because:

WE HAVE TWO CHILDREN

Baby dimension aside, I assume those children were made the traditional way. You do know how babies are made, right, Takumi? I mean, you were there! You didn't have a front row seat, you were part of the act! Unless... Oh god, how much alcohol and/or other substances were involved? What did my avatar do to you?!

Oh well, I guess I should just write it off as another facet of Fates' failed writing...

CONGRATULATIONS!  I am so proud to have been a part of bringing you two crazy kids together.

Also, if anime/dramas have MY ACTUAL WIFE has taught me anything, it's that having sex does not stop you from being shy about physical affection.  Enjoy your tsundere archer fetish!

Speaking of which, it occurred to me the other day that I had yet to try poking Kagero's chest with the stylus during the "dozing off" event in the Private Quarters.  I kinda wish I hadn't, because for some reason it made her think I was mad at her.  Don't look at me like that, I had to at least try it.  For science.
One last Fates musing: Today I made the mistake of planning out my Conquest waifu.  I did so because in my Birthright campaign, poor Jakob will remain celibate, as all the other single ladies done had a ring put on 'em.  So Arvis will be marrying Nina in Conquest.  But now that I have decided that, the massive dork inside me is hyped to go and meet this Nina and make those waifu dreams come true.  But...... I have so many other games to play.... I was planning on taking a Fire Emblem Hiatus after Birthright....
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Raze

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 27, 2016, 06:32:00 PM »

I still got 10~ stages left on birthright, but going by what I've seen I'd definitely recommend conquest if you just play one(If you plan on getting both may as well start birthright, then it'll get better as you go). Level design and pacing is just so much better. I'm having fun with birthright, but unless it kicks up it's game I'm not going to remember any of these maps. I'm definitely going to remember the intense defense map on the docks in conquest and the rainbow sage map which is almost a puzzle where you really need to look at all the enemies skills and gear to proceed(Meanwhile the birthright has this map and it's just a ton of weenies. Although that may be intentional, I kinda think they think you'll play birthright first and then surprise you with the map when you conquest).

But yeah, the plot doesn't really work. It's...almost good, but it just doesn't work because the plot calls for a king that loves you, but thinks you're too soft, but instead you've got a king whose main hobby is 'Torturing Corrin' and it kinda ruins the whole thing. You're not going to win this guy over and you can't out politic him, because dictatorship, which makes everything you do seem pretty pointless.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 28, 2016, 05:30:27 AM »
The problem with the Kindaichi guy is that he knows how to put together storylines, but has no idea what to do with the characters and their motivations. As a result, they just kind of end up serving as vehicles for the plot, making stupid choices or acting out of character just to keep the story moving.

Anyway, my characters in Revelation are hooking up as if it's the final volume in an extremely popular bookseries. Screw saving the world - making babies comes first! Leo and Sakura just got married, and Leo is trying his best not to be a horrible father to his pretty cotton candy pink princess. Coincidently, Takumi is getting along with his inlaws and even became best friends with Leo overnight. They say they were reading history books, but Nina has another theory. I'm more worried about Camilla, though. Could she please stop trying to molest my husband? His clingy retainers are bad enough! Besides, she has Laslow. Those two should focus on raising their sexual harrassment lawsuit waiting to happ- erh, I mean, daughter.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 28, 2016, 05:46:17 AM »
Hm, and here I am having yet to complete a single moment in Birthright.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 05:48:56 AM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.