« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2015, 08:32:52 PM »
1.) Brandish - The Dark Revenant
2.) The Legend of Zelda -  A Link Between Worlds
3.) Danganronpa - Trigger Happy Havoc
4.) Muramasa Rebirth
5.) Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments
6.) Ar Nosurge - Ode to an Unborn Star
7.) The Legend of Heroes - Trails in the Sky

Just put the finishing touches on Trails, after two long years of constantly getting distracted. The retrocast was just what I needed for motivation to polish off the game! Dat ending though. It's really got me primed for SC...can't wait for whenever that is supposed to hit.

In the meantime, I will probably work on finishing Demon Gaze or make more headway into Sen No Kiseki.

ultra7k

• View Profile
Re: Completion List 2015
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2015, 03:40:50 AM »
3.) Danganronpa - Trigger Happy Havoc
4.) Muramasa Rebirth
5.) Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments
6.) Ar Nosurge - Ode to an Unborn Star
8.) Demon Gaze

Just beat Demon Gaze, took a little bit of grinding, and a lot of careful turn management for the final fight but I finally beat it. Just a few trophies short of the platinum, but I'm not sure I want to go back and run through the gauntlet, and grind for the two random drops. It's probably another 15-20 hours of play, but I want to move on from this now. I was pretty hyped for Tokyo Abyss, but I think DG has taken out the dungeon crawling out of me for a while.

Since the retro pod cast is playing FFX, I may just move on to that since I've halted Cold Steel as it is going to be localized into English.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2015, 04:28:13 AM »
1. Long Live the Queen
2. A Bird Story
3. Choice of the Deathless
4. Child of Light
5. The Sacred Tears TRUE
6. Reccetear
7. Fairune
8. Black Sigil
9. Summon Night: Twin Age
10. Time Hollow
11. Paper Mario
12. Touch Detective
13. Etrian Odyssey IV: Legend of the Titan
14. Atelier Shallie
15. Evoland
16. Adventure Bar Story
17. Mind Zero
18. Z.H.P.: Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman
19. Persona Q

20. Bravely Default
Why can't they just call a Final Fantasy 'Final Fantasy'? This was so much like a Final Fantasy. Stop cheating at new IPs, Square Enix! But, I got into it knowing that and wasn't disappointed. Well, aside from the second 'half' of the game. I like boss battles, but I do want a little more than just boss battles.

21. You Must Build a Boat
I built a boat and it was fun.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2015, 04:30:45 PM »
1. Mass Effect 3
2. TES III: Morrowind
3. TES IV: Oblivion + Shivering Isles
4. Cave Story (PC)
5. Planescape: Torment

6. Shovel Knight

Pretty good side scroller, but a bit easy.

7. .hack//G.U. Vol. 1: Rebirth
8. .hack//G.U. Vol. 2: Reminisce
9. .hack//G.U. Vol. 3: Redemption

.hack//SIGN is one of my personal favorite anime shows, and I enjoyed the original games enough when they came out. I was actually really excited for these games when they came out, but I only played a bit of the first volume before I got distracted by other games, so I finally sat down and played these three the whole way through.

Have a large mix of feelings overall and I could go on for paragraphs and paragraphs on how I felt about the game, but I'll sum it up by saying I absolutely loved the characters and all the thought they put into the world they created. You have to piece together who certain characters are and the game doesn't just come out and tell you who's who, so the concept was utilized very well. The overarching plot was pedestrian though, and the gameplay was incredibly repetitive and just felt like a chore most of the time- so not that different from the original games I guess.

I suppose I should look forward to seeing the completion of the fan translation of the latest game, .hack//LINK, but just looking at a couple clips of art and some gameplay screens makes me think it doesn't have half the effort put into it G.U. did.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2015, 02:48:47 PM »
1. Long Live the Queen
2. A Bird Story
4. Child of Light
5. The Sacred Tears TRUE
6. Reccetear
7. Fairune
8. Black Sigil
10. Time Hollow
11. Paper Mario
12. Touch Detective
14. Atelier Shallie
15. Evoland
16. Adventure Bar Story
17. Mind Zero
19. Persona Q
20. Bravely Default

22. Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy
For something with 'new' in the title this felt very old, nearly out-dated even. But I'd be lying if I said I hated it. I was in the mood for a dungeon-crawler and this was a dungeon-crawler.

23. Choice of Robots
This is one of those digital Choose Your Own Adventure type of books. Throughout my various playthroughs I conquered Alaska, had an unethical relationship with a journalist, lead a robot revolution, sorta created Skynet, made Chobits a reality, turned myself into a robot and much more. Time well spent.

24. Journal
Yay for unreliable narrators! I liked the presentation but I wouldn't have minded a little more interaction with the environment. The dev does get bonus points for including that bonus song that basically calls him a pretentious, beret wearing wannabe artist.

25. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Lovely locations and it was great how gameplay was used to tell the story and develop the characters, but... my hands hurt ;_; Apparently my hands are too small to use the shoulder buttons and analoge sticks (X360 controller) at the same time.

26. Skyborn
The original price of $15 was a little steep for a RPGmaker game with so few original assets and a length of 10 hours or so, but I bought it during the Steam sales and for that price it was nice, well put together snack.

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2015, 02:06:14 PM »
1.Detective Grimoire
2.Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - Directors Cut
3.Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror - Remastered
4.Broken Sword 3: The Sleeping Dragon
5.Empress Of The Deep
6.Empress Of The Deep 2: Song Of The Blue Whale
7.Hamlet or the Last Game without MMORPG Features, Shaders and Product Placement
8.Finding Teddy
9.Morphopolis
10.Out there somewhere
11.Journey of a Roach
12.Alchemy Mysteries: Prague Legends
13.Time Mysteries: Inheritance - Remastered
14.Time Mysteries 2: The Ancient Spectres
15.Time Mysteries 3: The Final Enigma
16.Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
17.Robins Quest
18.Theatre of the Absurd
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 07:51:20 AM by Maxximum »
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

ultra7k

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2015, 02:30:37 PM »
3.) Danganronpa - Trigger Happy Havoc (Platinum)
4.) Muramasa Rebirth
5.) Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments (Platinum)
6.) Ar Nosurge - Ode to an Unborn Star (Platinum)
8.) Demon Gaze
9.) Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth;1 (Platinum)

Just wrapped up Neptunia, I had every intention of getting the platinum for this, but I just don't feel like doing a bunch of crafting (I hate crafting) and more grinding for the 3 additional characters after the DLC nerfed XP gains for the one Colosseum battle I used to level everyone else to 99.

Deciding whether to press on with FFX, currently at the thunder plains, or to start Stein;s Gate. I am more leaning towards Stein;s Gate at this point as playing it on the Vita seems really appealing.

Edit- ended up platnuming Hyperdimension...turns out the Fairy fencer F DLC gets disabled with only one paid DLC active. You'll need the rest for the Dengenki Fest to give the proper XP again. Updated the list to reflect my platinums this year.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 11:58:26 AM by ultra7k »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2015, 04:14:46 AM »
1. Long Live the Queen
2. A Bird Story
4. Child of Light
5. The Sacred Tears TRUE
6. Reccetear
7. Fairune
8. Black Sigil
10. Time Hollow
11. Paper Mario
12. Touch Detective
14. Atelier Shallie
15. Evoland
16. Adventure Bar Story
17. Mind Zero
19. Persona Q
20. Bravely Default
22. Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy
23. Choice of Robots
24. Journal
25. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
26. Skyborn

27. Tappingo 2
Would you believe I was actually looking forward to this amidst all the E3 generated hype? Well, I was. I wanted a fun little puzzlegame and this was exactly what I was waiting for.

28. Ys: The Oath in Felghana
I think I played all the (newest) versions of the Ys games available in English now? Anyway, I'm sad to say this is one of my least favourite Ys games, which still makes it a good game relatively speaking, though. Each aspect of Felghana is overshadowed by another Ys game I played recently, for instance, I enjoyed the tower in Origin more than the dungeons in this one. On the other hand, Felghana didn't do anything wrong either, aside from a slightly slow start maybe.

29. Analogue: A Hate Story
I had my doubts because of the artstyle, but the story and the way it was told really drew me in. Reading all those letters offered a satisfying bit of voyeurism in the lives of people long gone. What I also really appreciate is that the game had the guts to stick to its social setting. You see, you're a salvager who just took a job to retrieve data from a abondonned colony ship that had been lost for hundreds of years. By going through the logs and talking to the AI, you find out something caused the clock to turn back to a Joseon Dynasty type of society. Women are seen as inferior and everyone on the ship thinks like that. Then there's this young girl from the modern era who wakes up in that society after hundreds of years of cryosleep. There's no enlightened character on hand that shares her modern views on life like you see in so many works of fiction, she's all alone in a world that considers teenaged girls little more than marriage fodder. Her story is one of the stories you can piece together by reading letters and diary entries.

30. Oreshika
Move over, Fire Emblem, Oreshika is the newest and best breeding sim! After your clan has been murdered and cursed, you find a way back to life with the help of the gods. Sadly, the lifespan of the clan members had been reduced to just two years, meaning they will need more than a few generations to exact revenge. So, babymaking! And again, the gods are happy to help out, resulting in some... peculiar children depending on the which ones you chose for the job. That's the time management part of the game, which also involves some minor town building and the like. The dungeon crawling part of the game has some roguelike elements. You can only spend a set of amount of time in a dungeon per month, meaning you need to be efficient. I didn't know what to think of the somewhat random dungeon designs at first, since something like that is no fun if you need to reach a certain spot within a timelimit, but the game handled it well. Layouts are often fairly easy to remember and there aren't any real obstacles between you and your destination. Overall, some of the planning involved was a hassle (there's one character that needs to be 'alive' for most of the boss battles), but since your clan gets stronger with each generation and there's no real time limit, the pressure is minor.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2015, 07:15:34 PM »
1. Rogue Legacy
2. Tales of Legendia
3. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
4. Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga (pt. 1)
5. Tales of Monkey Island (pt. 1-5)
6. Growlanser III: The Dual Darkness
7. Starcraft

8. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Once again, the Ninja- and Assassin-heavy portfolio pays off for the beleaguered gamer.

This isn't quite the worst TRPG I've ever played, but it's right down there.

The story and characterization are inexcusably thin, especially compared with FFT.  The one potentially interesting moral conflict (did Marche really just zap all those people out of existence?) is largely neglected; but by the end, I was beginning to skim the text, anyway.

The gameplay is passable, in small doses, but it becomes very repetitive after a while; this game suffers from as bad a case of sidequestitis as I've seen.

The job system was okay, but a step down from FFT.  Fragmenting it into mini-trees along racial boundaries wasn't an improvement, and I missed having party members with special abilities.  Agrias or T.G. Cid would have made awesome recruitable characters...but it's pretty clear that this game takes place in a completely different world. :-(

The music was quite good.  Not quite at the level of FFT, but it was stylistically very similar to FF12, of which I'm a big fan.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2015, 10:40:41 AM »
1. Ys: Memories of Celceta: 3rd favorite Ys so far.  Behind Oath in Felghana and Seven.  Music wasn't near as good as Origin.  Still a Ys title so that means it was pretty great all the way around.

2. Dragon Quest VIII - Loved this.  It got exhausting by the end though. Really beginning to doubt I'll ever get to playing VII all the way through.

3. Terranigma - thanks Pro Action Replay!  (note: I imported this over 10 years ago before I understood anything about region locks)

4. Muramasa Rebirth

5. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together - I forgot to add this when I beat it earlier this month.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2015, 11:46:32 AM »
1. Ys: Memories of Celceta: 3rd favorite Ys so far.  Behind Oath in Felghana and Seven.  Music wasn't near as good as Origin.  Still a Ys title so that means it was pretty great all the way around.

2. Dragon Quest VIII - Loved this.  It got exhausting by the end though. Really beginning to doubt I'll ever get to playing VII all the way through.

3. Terranigma - thanks Pro Action Replay!  (note: I imported this over 10 years ago before I understood anything about region locks)

4. Muramasa Rebirth

5. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together - I forgot to add this when I beat it earlier this month.

I love your list. I haven't played Muramasa Rebirth yet. And I own DQ8 on PS2, but I'm debating whether to start it or just wait for the 3DS localization. I've beaten the other games on your list. Isn't Terranigma GREAT?! I love that game. I haven't played the other games in the Quintet trilogy (Illusion of Gaia, Soul Blazer). I desperately wish those games would just be repackaged as a singular port on 3DS or Vita or something.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2015, 12:38:29 PM »
Not going to repost my list just to add one entry, but...

Monster Monpiece - After beating the main game AND post game I ended up with a card collection of 279... out of a possible 1050!! Mind you, most of those are online-only cards, but I still thought I'd at least get half of them (Probably could if I wanted to bother upgrading all the cards I acquired in post-game that I didn't want to bother upgrading)

EDIT: Oh, and the final boss of the end-game was really awesome. Starts with a really tough onslaught you need to survive followed by a fairly normal battle, but that beginning was really intense.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 03:20:47 PM by Klutz64 »

ultra7k

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2015, 01:43:10 AM »
3.) Danganronpa - Trigger Happy Havoc (Platinum)
4.) Muramasa Rebirth
5.) Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments (Platinum)
6.) Ar Nosurge - Ode to an Unborn Star (Platinum)
8.) Demon Gaze
9.) Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth;1 (Platinum)
10.) Steins; Gate (Platinum)

Just platinum'd Steins; Gate. Wow, what an experience. Well deserving of all the hype it gets, and is one of those games I feel will stick with me for a long time. I can't imagine ever obtaining the true ending without some sort of guide due to all the branching paths. Will have to look into the anime now. Gah, such a good game.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2015, 11:43:15 AM »
1. Mass Effect 3
2. TES III: Morrowind + Tribunal/Bloodmoon

Went and played another character, went through the expansions this time. Combat was a lot less annoying this playthrough since I use swords instead of maces, and those actually let you move while attacking which doesn't make everything feel stiff as hell.

3. TES IV: Oblivion + Shivering Isles
4. Cave Story (PC)
5. Planescape: Torment
6. Shovel Knight
7. .hack//G.U. Vol. 1: Rebirth
8. .hack//G.U. Vol. 2: Reminisce
9. .hack//G.U. Vol. 3: Redemption

10. Deus Ex

Another one of those "games I should've played before but haven't" off the list. I enjoyed this one a lot and I'm sure I'll play it again using a different build. Probably helps I'm not really an avid FPS player so I probably didn't even notice, let alone mind, a lot of the clunkiness the game has with the shooting.

11. Bastion

Went into this one only knowing it got some glowing reviews and not much else. I liked it, but I didn't really think it was anything special. I did love the flavor text on a lot of the items though- whoever wrote all of it was good at being concise.

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2015, 01:43:23 PM »
Games Beaten: 2014 Edition

1. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies
2. Ys: The Ark of Napishtim
3. Fire Emblem: Awakening
4. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth
5. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (NG+)
6. Persona 4 Golden
7. Ys: Memories of Celceta
8. Her Story
9. Final Fantasy X HD Remaster
10. Persona 4 Golden (Platinum)
11. Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
12. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls
13. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

I'm a little behind.  I was hoping to get at least 25 on the year, and I'm not sure I'll be able to reach that goal.  I didn't help myself by playing Persona 4 Golden twice, either....  Up next is either Danganronpa or Paper Mario, with The Last Story on deck.