Author Topic: *DONE* Dice Plays FFIX (1st post w/ Table of Contents & Plot Summaries!)

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: Dice Plays FFIX
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2015, 07:05:20 AM »
Rally Ho!

I have to wonder if there was a Scottish person on the translation team. There has to have been, the use of Scot's is pretty perfect in Conde Petite, most so than any other form of media I've seen. FFIX is the only one to use Scot's properly and not some racist butchered version of it like Groundskeeper Willie :P

Actually...

I dinnae ken whit ye're on aboot.

sorry.

...What does "ken" mean?  Never really got that one... :S
(I'm worried it's super obvious and I'm gonna look like a dumb).

I'm actually curious what 'dialect' or verbal tic the Japanese text gave Condie Petitians.

I've actually heard something similar to 'ken' used to describe knowledge with phrases similar to "This is beyond my/your kin." or something to that effect (normally it comes up with the olde tyme style wizened sage or similar telling the protagonist that they've got nuthin'). Of course, I could be talking out of my ass since I haven't heard that kind of expression in years (possibly over a decade), but now that I'm thinking about it, I believe I've heard it most from characters with some kind of Scottish character trait.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2015, 07:15:35 AM »
Yeah, "ken" means know.

I don't think many Scot's would be able to tell you why it is ken, but luckily I also speak a good amount of German. So I can give you a bit of insight.

You can see a lot of German words in English, but Scots however is a lot like German, and ken probably came from the German word "kennt" meaning "know".

EDIT: And they probably made them Osakan. That seems to be the go to "country" accent the Japanese give. :P
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 07:21:29 AM by Starmongoose »

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2015, 07:34:57 AM »
Yeah, "ken" means know.

I don't think many Scot's would be able to tell you why it is ken, but luckily I also speak a good amount of German. So I can give you a bit of insight.

You can see a lot of German words in English, but Scots however is a lot like German, and ken probably came from the German word "kennt" meaning "know".

EDIT: And they probably made them Osakan. That seems to be the go to "country" accent the Japanese give. :P

Considering that this was made in Hawaii, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if that in this case they really were aiming for Scottsland. They made Quina full on mahalo (which is apparently a Hawaiian sub-dialect), so there's probably more translingual awareness going on here than your usual JRPG production.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2015, 03:01:45 PM »
Wow thanks for all the insight. x)
And yeah I looked it up myself, it looks to be known as the word "know" and hails exactly from where y'all said it does (Germanic/English, and rarely seen in NA except for some douchebag academic using a a bunch of shitty words every line to confuse already frustrated students)).

I'll do shorter updates, I'll also try to keep my flowery details in check and avoid them; long ass posts probably aren't fun to read.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2015, 03:42:37 PM »
Eh no. I want things to stay exacty the same but more of them.

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.

Aurian

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2015, 09:59:17 PM »
Seconded.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2015, 05:55:14 PM »
Also agreed.
We come to this section for journals, not CliffsNotes. I haven't commented in this thread ('til now) because I haven't played this game in about 15 years, and barely remember any of it. Still a great read, though. Keep it up.

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2015, 06:28:22 PM »
Also agreed.
We come to this section for journals, not CliffsNotes. I haven't commented in this thread ('til now) because I haven't played this game in about 15 years, and barely remember any of it. Still a great read, though. Keep it up.

Appreciate the insight from all of you. :D
I just got worried no one was reading it, so a small reminder (even if it's like "that's good" or one of these:

is pretty swell every so rarely). 
But yeah i guess the topic views don't lie.  I'm happy to do it and I'm slowly deciding my next game (it won't be Final Fantasy).

Natros would it help if I kind add small synopses to major plot points I'm trying to discuss or try to work in the context?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 07:16:58 PM by Dice »

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2015, 01:27:46 PM »
If you are willing to put in any extra effort on our (readers who haven't played in a long time) part, it would of course be very much appreciated. Do it up any way you see fit. It's your journal, and I wouldn't want you to mess with the flow you have going.

I should probably do the same for GS, cuz I know that game is about as old as this one, but GS is not exactly plot heavy. At least, so far for me it isn't.

I'm slowly deciding my next game (it won't be Final Fantasy).

LOL

« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 01:30:06 PM by natros »

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2015, 09:34:43 PM »
@Natros I'm afraid I will have to, POLITELY, decline Enchant Arms with a "NAAAAAAW...s'ok".

^ *clicky!* ^ Track: Garnet's Theme (a nice Piano Version I found)

Part VI: Save the Queen!

Brief Synopsis: After finding the Black Mage Village (where Vivi learns his people are tragically short-lived), we head through Conde Petie after a and short-lived Honeymoon.  We find a little purple-headed brat named Eiko and she takes us to the Village of Summoners, Madain Sari, where Garnet remembers her childhood as a summoner!!  For reasons (I might have scrolled too fast), we go investigate the Iifa Tree and stop the source of all the Mist in the world that creates black mages and monsters and fuels all the wars.  We hit up Madain Sari again, have a romantic night, fight with Amarant, have Amarant join us, then head back to the Lifa Tree to see if Kuja is there.  He is and so is Brahne, we try to stop both, but Kuja commands Bahamut to kill the Queen instead. 
RIP Brahne and long live Queen Garnet!

= I fuck you not; I SPENT AN HOUR AND A HALF trying to steal from Hilgigars on the Conde Petie Mountain Path and STILL got only 2/3 of his wares (Meanwhile: I cooked, ate, and watched an episode of something while clicking "X" every so often). 
   This is some broken ass bullshit and a huge negative on an already lame battle system.  When I gave up I was able to kill the fuck within 5 minutes.  The game really should have thought this through better with a way better system for this.  I realize it's more of a 'bonus' if you can steal the goods, but c'mon... After THAT long the game should throw you a bone at some point for wasting precious life.
#fuckyouyoufuckingfuck

=  This part is also pretty shitty for handing you two white mages and a black mage party (and Zidane).  My party consisted of 3 people doing hardcore ethers.  I DO like that the Lifa Tree is basically an 'undead' focused dungeon... I somehow believe that was a conscious decision given the party.

= Are Zidane's (non-trance) skills like ever worth using? 

= Eiko! Welcome to the team.  I feel Eiko represents a different decade of how "young girls" were depicted in JRPGs.  She's less obnoxious...and whiney... Well, I mean she is those things, but umm, I guess what I mean I sense no "loli-ness" in her.  She's cute and silly, but she's not trying too hard either.  It's dumb, but her puppy love for Zidane reminds me of myself at her age (*facepalm*).

= Zidane is the cool "big brother" to Vivi.  Sometimes he encourages him when things are rough, and sometimes he just asks if Vivi's holding up okay.... But sometimes, you just gotta "let go of your problems" by pissing over the side of a cliff! (...poor Eiko)

= The whole Madain Sari sequence becomes a great way to introduce a quick arc for Eiko (who suffers from a bit of loneliness), but more importantly, it helps to bring things full-circle for Garnet.  Her woes aren't over but a lot of her backstory gets beautifully wrapped-up.  She discovers she's from Madain Sari after a finding a secret cave that felt 'familiar', she then remembers being a wee lass leaving the village with her mum just as it's destroyed.  Brutal, but cool.
    I like that Zidane remarks that now Garnet has lost two moms; Queen Brahne is "lost to greed" and her biological mum died at sea.  What I like more is that Zidane's comment is quickly followed up with Eiko's optimism; Garnet may have lost her parents, but she's found a new sister in Eiko!  Aww

= The added touch that 'summoner species' of Gaia having actual horns protruding from their forehead was absolutely perfect given Summoners in past FF titles 'mimic' this appearance with special headbands.

I also like the added complexity of Garnet as a summoner.  She feels like a part of her is 'missing' when the Eidolons were extracted from her, but at the same time she can't 'hear them' like Eiko can (since Garnet had her horn forcibly removed and that shit seems to work like an antenna of sorts).  It would have been great if a very faint scar could be seen on her forehead because of it...but oh well.  One thing I definitely don't like is they missed giving Garnet's mum a horn in the opening, whether because it was an oversight or a spoiler, but it WAS in her concept art.

= Alright...so...anyone else call it "Lifa Tree" instead of the "Iifa Tree"??   The sans-serif font makes it a lot harder to read the "I".  Ah well, I'm just gonna use them interchangeably.
#fuckingupfinalfantasynames

= So Lani's out of the story as fast as she was in.  I do like Amarant though.  Welcome Amarant!!  He's cool and a deep thinker, and I like that, but I love how he over-thinks why Zidane decided to spare him after their duel (can't make him *completely* serious, this is FF9!).  I also like his refusal to do a "victory pose", it helps make him feel like he's still an outsider to the merry celebrations of our group.

= Not a big deal, but it confused me a lot as a kid that Amarant and Eiko's last name's are the exact same besides the vowels being flipped (Coral and Carol respectively). 
...I thought they were related.

= I don't have much reaction on the Iifa Tree.  It's really cool on the outside and ghastly on the inside; I'm pretty sure the design team was told to design a "Tree of Mana as if it was from an alien planet instead".  And I like that, if you're a conscious player, you'll note that the giant branches from the tree actually extend throughout the entire world map (See exhibits: A, B, and C
   Also, I never noticed this before, but the tree mechanisms/lifts ONLY activate when Zidane uses them... HMMMMMMmmm.

= *snicker*.  I'm 90% certain this was inspired by some hentai.

=  If you say there's a better Final Fantasy couple than Zidane and Garnet, you'd ---...well, you can probably make a good argument, but these two are pretty damn good!!! 
    It's actually a pretty basic affair though... It's basically Aladdin where a humble thief falls for the beautiful princess, and Zidane's motivation to follow Garnet aren't particular note-worthy, and his relentless pursuit of her only seems to put her off. 
    But the chemistry is indisputable, and try as she might to resist (and she does, quite easily and quite often), he seems to know what to say when she needs to hear it.  His street smarts and street savvy compliment her goals perfectly. 
    The boat scene in Madain Sari is short (take a cue from that TidusxYuna!!), but it says everything you need to know; romance doesn't always need to be a grand gesture or proclamation -- sometimes it's just saying the right thing.

Zidane: "I'm surprised you found this place. You got the talent to be a bandit!
        How 'bout you and me team up? We'll call ourselves 'The Betrothed.'"

Dagger: "My talent's up to snuff, but that name isn't."

Zidane: "Hehehe. You're really something these days."

Dagger: "If I am, I must've gotten it from you."

[...]

Dagger: "Why did you come with me?"

Zidane: "Hey, that's Ipsen's line."

Dagger: "Ipsen? Who's that?"

Zidane: "Ipsen is a character from a play, but he's a real-life adventurer.
        I think the play is based on his adventures. It kind of goes like
        this... Ipsen and his good friend Colin worked at a tavern in Treno.
        One day Ipsen got a letter. The letter was so wet from rain that
        most of the writing was illegible. The only part he could read said
        'Come back home.' Nowadays, we have airships and stuff, but back
        then, it was really hard to travel. He didn't know why he had to go
        back, but he got some time off, gathered his things, and set out on
        his journey home. He walked a thousand leagues through the Mist.
        Sometimes he was attacked by vicious monsters, but he made it,
        because his friend Colin was by his side. And then, after much time
        on the road... He had to ask Colin something. 'Why did you come with
        me?'"

Dagger: "And? What was Colin's answer?"

*panties drop*

It's easy to swoon over fantasy romances, I think Tidus and Yuna have a much more 'magical' love story where love-at-first-sight bonds them, a connection makes them inseparable, and then they share some smooches at Make Out Lake Under the Magical Moonlight.  But the exchanges between Garnet and Zidane feel natural and never really contrived.

= Kuja still isn't a very interesting villain, but I do like how things ended with Queen Brahne.  After getting Bahamut'd in the face, the Queen and her soldiers lay to waste on the beach as she shares her final words with Garnet.  It's sweet that Brahne sort of 'comes back to her senses' in her final moments, noting the last time she felt this 'free' was when she was with Garnet and her late husband going to see a play. ( ;_; ) 
    I think Vivi getting a small opportunity to narrate was effective and surprisingly appropriate.  He has a lot of issues to work because of Brahne and states that he *hates* Queen Brahne and was even *happy* she was about to die...  But instead, Vivi sees a daughter crying for her mother, and how the Princess was unable to save the Queen despite how hard she tried and even after all the problems she's caused, and it makes Vivi want to cry as well. 
   Vivi is definitely a character all too familiar with the subject of death.

^ *clicky!* ^ Track: Madain Sari
Till next time!

PS = Random funny I found (He also looks like my dad and that would be an accurate assessment)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 10:35:35 PM by Dice »

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2015, 09:54:49 PM »
I don't think it's fair to talk about Eiko without sharing how you choose to pronounce her name. When I first played, I pronounced it EE-KO, but after I heard others pronounce it AY-KO, I decided that sounded better and now I pronounce it in a way that sounds like "Echo" with a Y after the E (So, sort of UH-Y-KO) I guess

Also, I noticed looking through the Final Fantasy IX artbook (Do you own that one, Dice? It's honestly my favorite artbook ever) that it was Iifa tree and smugly shared this with my friends who still thought it was Lifa.

Speaking of which, a bit embarrassing to admit, but after playing FFIX I started writing a fanfic (didn't get very far before quitting, this IS me we're talking about) about the origin of the Iifa Tree an the history of Terra. Honestly, as well as Square has handled prequels in the past, I wouldn't mind them doing one for this game.

EDIT: OH!! And am I the only one that thought for the longest time that Amarant had some kind of beak thing instead of a mouth and beard?

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2015, 03:45:42 AM »
EDIT: OH!! And am I the only one that thought for the longest time that Amarant had some kind of beak thing instead of a mouth and beard?

Nope. For the longest time I couldn't figure out his face. Maybe a bit of poor character design or 3D modeling work on Square's part. I really liked Amarant at first, but I just wish he had more presence in the game. He never really becomes a friend to my knowledge. He mostly just stays as an outsider. The only exception I can think of to that is the "You're Not Alone" sequence, but it has been so long since I played FFIX that I don't remember much about that aside from the cool music.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2015, 03:44:22 PM »
Man, I've forgotten so much about this game... Thanks for the extra details! It's cool how likeable and interesting the characters come out to be. This journal really makes me want to play it again.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2015, 09:18:02 PM »

It's easy to swoon over fantasy romances, I think Tidus and Yuna have a much more 'magical' love story where love-at-first-sight bonds them, a connection makes them inseparable, and then they share some smooches at Make Out Lake Under the Magical Moonlight

With Kimahri watching, that furvert! 
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2015, 11:49:17 PM »
I don't think it's fair to talk about Eiko without sharing how you choose to pronounce her name. When I first played, I pronounced it EE-KO, but after I heard others pronounce it AY-KO, I decided that sounded better and now I pronounce it in a way that sounds like "Echo" with a Y after the E (So, sort of UH-Y-KO) I guess

Also, I noticed looking through the Final Fantasy IX artbook (Do you own that one, Dice? It's honestly my favorite artbook ever) that it was Iifa tree and smugly shared this with my friends who still thought it was Lifa.

Speaking of which, a bit embarrassing to admit, but after playing FFIX I started writing a fanfic (didn't get very far before quitting, this IS me we're talking about) about the origin of the Iifa Tree an the history of Terra. Honestly, as well as Square has handled prequels in the past, I wouldn't mind them doing one for this game.

Yeah I keep flip-flopping on Eiko...Eeeko... Ay-ko....bah.  I keep forgetting to check the Katakana.  But I just did and I think it's "Echo", which..yeah definitely is pleasant!

The FF9 artbook is SO good but SO underloved.  I love that Udon has been getting game/anime artbooks to us overseas and translating the interviews and little teeny-tiny art footnotes.  The FF9 book is so damn beautiful but I feel like I'm "missing details" since it's all in Japanese.  I should hunt down Taelus and work on a scanlation with him.  I got it at Chapters (Canadian ver. of 'Barnes&Noble') for like $20 used.... I so happy...

We need that fanfiction.

I saw Amarant for the mouth and the beard (I think he looks super cool) but I STILL DO have a tendency to "see things" in sprites that arren't actually what they are.  A particular popularly one:

It's easy to swoon over fantasy romances, I think Tidus and Yuna have a much more 'magical' love story where love-at-first-sight bonds them, a connection makes them inseparable, and then they share some smooches at Make Out Lake Under the Magical Moonlight

With Kimahri watching, that furvert! 

"Furvert"

xD  I gigg'd

Nope. For the longest time I couldn't figure out his face. Maybe a bit of poor character design or 3D modeling work on Square's part. I really liked Amarant at first, but I just wish he had more presence in the game. He never really becomes a friend to my knowledge. He mostly just stays as an outsider. The only exception I can think of to that is the "You're Not Alone" sequence, but it has been so long since I played FFIX that I don't remember much about that aside from the cool music.

I think he has "enough" presence, and I think that works for him.  I definitely don't like how a big piece of his backstory is left to an ATE (where Zidane frames him for theft), but amongst everything else happening I can see why FF9 didn't take the time for "character 'main-quests'" like FF7 did during the world tour on Disc 1.  That said, I do find it a small flaw; the game focuses on some really spectacular scenes and has some of the most beautifully crafted areas, and characters, and details, but it really picks and chooses which; I feel certain things get more focus than needed and some not enough.  But that's kinda nit-picking since everything else is pretty brilliant.

I'm looking forward to the big 'You're Not Alone sequence".  Disc 3 [of 4!!] finally has the whole party together.

Man, I've forgotten so much about this game... Thanks for the extra details! It's cool how likeable and interesting the characters come out to be. This journal really makes me want to play it again.

Aw thanks Natros.  And my pleasure, give it a play again, I highly highly recommend ti and we can geek out about it together!

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!