Author Topic: *DONE* Dice Plays FFIX (1st post w/ Table of Contents & Plot Summaries!)

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: Dice Plays FFIX (1st post now with Table of Contents & Plot Summaries!)
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2015, 01:42:54 AM »

^ *click the pic!!* ^ Track: Terra

Chapter X: Home sweet home?

Brief Synopsis: We arrive in the new blue world called Terra!  We meet strange zombie-like people referred to as Genomes who live in a village called Bran Bal and await their planet to merge with Gaia.  Garland, the evil villain behind it all, reveals he is Zidane's 'creator' (as well as Kujas) and tells him of his true purpose to cause chaos on Gaia so as to rush the process of its destruction.  Zidane doesn't take it well, pushing his friends away till they remind he that "you're not alone". #namedrop. 
Anyways, the party confronts and defeats Garland, the party fights Kuja until he Trances!  Garland then reveals that Kuja's life will soon end, because he was a mere 'product' and Zidane is the "successor" and Kuja, unable to cope, proceeds to destroy all of Terra.

= That Shimmer Island FMV is pretty as hell.  I also like the Triangle-Circle motif seen a few times in the game (and on Terra itself) actually... resembles the Shimmering Island too.

*wave*

= Zidane's immediately hit with his origins and heritage...and doesn't take it very well.  It's a slow realization, and well-written that's filled with Zidane's usual optimism, curiosity, and confidence, but slowly changes to being annoyed, fed up, and wanting to leave.  It's a tragic thing when your expectations aren't met.  Still it makes it that much sweeter when Zidane says he wants to go home, because it was Gaia all along.  *AWWWwwww*

= While I'm not keen on the look of Terra, I do admire it for being a stunning mix of something that's both 'alien' and 'fantasy'.  It's exotic, unique, and hauntingly beautiful; but still somewhat cold and strange and not really somewhere you'd want to call "home".  Visually, it's totally "doing it for me" even though i don't personally like it, I think it suits very well.

= Eiko wins this chapter for some absolutely amazing and matter-of-fact dialogue.

Mikoto: "Where is your man?"
Eiko: "M-My man? MY man!? Are you talking about Zidane!? Even I never called him that! But too bad for you! He and Dagger are super hot for each other! You don't have a chance with him."

--
Eiko: "...That​ ​weird girl! The girl that led us here said something strange​ ​again! She said she was waiting for you in some underground ​​laboratory! What a pervert!"​
--
Eiko: "Garland!? Oooo, THAT's a sinister name! But Zidane wouldn't just leave us hanging!"

= Zidane: *Talking to Quina*
"I guess everybody looks the same to someone from another race."​

= IIRC, Terra is also the last spot for ATEs. :(
There was like 80 of these things.  It'd never be enough though, FF9's cast of characters have been a blast to watch. :)

​=  Yeah the whole "souls", "crystal cores", and "planet merging tree root" stuff makes absolutely no sense to me.  If you wanna try to explain it, here's a game script, and ctrl+f "Voice: "So, we meet again." to find where he starts talking about it. 
    All I know is PLANET MERGING is probably a bad thing and this process has been happening a while as "Gaia fought back".... But the writing isn't terribly clear, there's a lack of visuals to represent it, and it's sort of an 'abandoned plot point' by the end of the trip to Terra... which is *very* soon after hearing about it. 

Actually, if I got anything from it is that the plot is similar to NieR's. :P 
I almost wish this game had a 'bad ending' to show what would have happened had Garland succeeded. :S  FF games should try their hand at 'bad endings' more often, they're cool!

= On that note, aren't older villains really cool??  I feel like the 'young and power hungry' thing is overdone, I like someone older because it makes their intent seem like it's more "for the future" than "for POWER", or that their convictions haven't faltered for so many years. 
Garland has his heart in the right place, but of course, his methods don't allow a win-win situation, so...ta hell with him. 

It's a small detail, but I love the fast flickering red light/jewel[?] on Garland. And I love that this jewel is basically in a cut out chunk of his body:

He also gives me a wicked King Haggard vibes (The Last Unicorn).  I'd like to think if Christopher Lee were alive for an FF9 HD, he'd also voice Garland (at least it's the "voice I heard" reading his lines) . :P

​= I, like everyone, really like the "You're not alone" segment (and to the point the segment's been named after the catchy track played during while it's going on) (in fact here's a sweet remix for your listening pleasure), but I must admit​ Zidane's flip-flop from being pretty pissed with Garland to suddenly thinking he's the world's biggest asshole is somewhat odd.

Don't get me wrong, it's great to see a confident Zidane turn vulnerable, especially since for the whole rest of the game he does an extraordinary job carrying the rest of the title and supporting the party without turning into a JRPG-cheeseball.  Anyways, it's sweet that now it'd be everyone else's turn to help Zidane up in his heaviest hour.

= Oh, forgot to say.  I don't like short-haired Garnet.  I think it's the model, it just looks...dorky

​= Eugh, sorry.  I think Freya is the weakest link in this game.  She's got good skills, just... not up to par anywhere else or that can't be covered by someone else (plus, the FF9 world doesn't exactly have a surplus of Dragon-enemies for her to fight either).  I do really like Amarant though; but I hate great late-game characters!! x) 
   Zidane on the other hand getting way too many skills I won't use so he can steal for 30 turns instead. :/

Who was your go-to party?  #TeamG? #TeamEiko?

= You wanna know WHY I don't 'hate' the Desert Palace, Klutz?  BECAUSE I HATE PANDEMONIUM'S STUPID 30-SECOND CLOCK MORE.  Nothing like fucking up the challenge, getting into a fight (where the 'loading' bit takes up 15 of those seconds), and watching the clock blink 0:00 to remind you that you've failed.

= Oh...I'm sorry in advance, this is super inappropriate.... 
But the weird background "walls" in Pandemonium....they look like anuses...with vagina lips. 
...Yup

=  FF9 does a great job subverting a few tropes here. For one, I like that "planet absorption" is completely different from the usual "rule the planet" and "destroy the planet" plots while simultaneously having the effect have of both (Terra 'rules' when Gaia is 'ruined').  I also like that the end-purpose for "absolute power" gets *completely* thrown in Kuja's face mere moments after obtaining it.  This of course becomes important when examining Vivi's character who, despite his somewhat 'supporting cast' role is surprisingly central to major parts of its theme.  Both Vivi and Kuja have been given what's more like 'death sentence'.  However they react to the news in completely different ways; and in some Aesop-style irony, Kuja tricked Black Mages to work for him under the false promise for an extended life --- the exact same thing is now happening to Kuja.  The difference between "good guys" and "bad guys" gets put through a lens though; Vivi wants to do something good while he can, and Kuja...destroys a planet.

= I just want to say, I hate when a gameplay mechanic gets used for a plot point.  I cringed a bit during the Bravely Second 'teaser' when Magnolia starts going "BRAVE!! BRAVE!!! ...DEFAULT!!".  The GF-memory loss plot-thing in FF8 is widely regarded as bizarre.  So I'm not really sure how I feel that "Trance Kuja" is a thing since the game barely pays the concept any mind beyond the tutorial battle for it. 
I mean, I guess it's better than nothing...but eh.

= Sure tons of game girls have shown of skin due to developers throwing in 'sexy characters' for reasons.... Kuja's outfit is a great example of that on another gender. x)
Damn, those are some hips there.

= Despite the fact The Invincible was used to destroy BOTH of Garnet's homes, she's now using the ship to chase down Kuja and finish him off.... The irony, however, isn't lost on her.  I do admire how wonderfully she overcomes her fear of "the eye" though; it's a bit fast, but she's gotten enough screen time about her issues. 

I also like how Garnet thought she saw "an eye", but it was really just a giant red jewel attached to the ship.  It's likely the only way she knew how to explain it, and it's great that the in-game visuals reinforce that "it's an eye"...till you finally see The Invincible up close.  Very clever and I love the use of FMV to explain and rectify this mistake.

Points I missed (credit to tropes, forums, and trivia pages):
  • Why do you 'ring bells' in Gizamaluke's Grotto? ...Well, you "ring the door bell" at a door to open it, right?  *facepalm*
  • ​ Zidane as Gaia's "Angel of Death" really puts his Trance abilities into some perspective.  Most character's get additional power, Zidane gets a whole new arsenal (some sounding kinda 'techy' even).
  • Marcus' character name in the "I Want to Be Your Canary" play is.... Marcus. 
  • Freya's weird red knight outfit basically looks like a big ol' raincoat.  Which makes sense given Burmecia never stops raining. 
  • Not sure how intentional: Garnet's summons cost a high amount of MP till her arc puts her through hell and she 'toughs through it', learning them again and learns about her Summoner heritage.  If it IS intentional, kudos to the developers.  That is nuanced.  She DOES lose her Trance ability when she goes mute too.
  • Garland has a red jewel.  Trance Zidane and Kuja are both 'quite red' too, especially compared to the more metallic and cool colours used with the rest of the party.  Meanwhile, both Eiko and Garnet turn 'yellowish' perhaps to demonstrate their role as summoners/white mages.
  • The Nero Brothers look like "BDSM cows" really sticks now (and yes, I AM going for the long lost FF9 sidequest with them)
  • If 'the mist' represents Terra's souls (I think, I don't know but it's something like that)....why is Gaia "extra misty" after Terra is destroyed.... ...​  D:
  • Lastly, I assume the "red moon" (shown so very briefly a few​ times in the game) is Terra?
Ah well, Till next time!  The next write-up is probably the last! :(

^ *click the pic!!* ^ Track: You're Not Alone (cover by HuskytheGeek)
Till next time!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 09:36:51 PM by Dice »
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2015, 03:15:05 AM »
The mist is actually Gaia's souls getting spat out because they can't return to the crystal due to whatever Garland's convoluted plan is. Really all the crystal, mist, and planet merging fantasy mumbo jumbo is just there to make it seem like it's a complex mystery plot of some sort when it's actually pretty simple. Really all you need to take from it is that in the world of FFIX, souls travel in a cycle of life and death and stop in a crystal somewhere in between, and Garland wants to suck out Gaia's souls so he can stick in Terra's instead. It probably could've been presented better because it actually ties into the themes of FFIX pretty well: there was this whole civilization that was so scared that their crystal (and thus, their whole civilization) was dying that they decided to enact a plan to steal some other planet's crystal just so their civilization could continue existing (they introduced the idea that a planet "shares" memories via the crystal so even though they're all physically dead, assumedly by stealing Gaia's crystal Terra's civilization would eventually come back to life again).

It actually feels more like a scifi plot than a fantasy one, but that's par for the course for Final Fantasy. I do feel the need to point out it's kinda funny nobody in the party stops and says "well shit I guess we kinda just committed genocide by stopping Garland's plan". True there probably wasn't really any alternative (and I get the impression this isn't the first planet the Terrans decided to steal so they don't sound like terribly nice people), I just think it's funny it's not even really brought up.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2015, 09:10:29 AM »
I think it is stated somewhere that Terra has been sucking the souls from planets for a very long time. At the very least, I know it's implied that Gaia's wasn't the first Iifa Tree. Speaking of which, I love that from the very beginning of the game you constantly encounter the Ifia Tree's roots and don't even learn what they are until a third of the way through.

To answer your question, Dice: #TeamEiko all the way. White Magic is just so much more useful than summons. Speaking of which, I always feel bad for Vivi 'cause he is pretty much useless for the second half of the game.
((STOP MAKING MP SUCH AN EXPENSIVE RESOURCE, DEVS!!))

I totally forgot about Pandemonium's annoying puzzles. Probably some repression was involved.

But how cool is it that you're fighting FF1's main villain in FF3's final dungeon and walk away with FF2's final airship?

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2015, 05:50:18 PM »
I think it is stated somewhere that Terra has been sucking the souls from planets for a very long time. At the very least, I know it's implied that Gaia's wasn't the first Iifa Tree. Speaking of which, I love that from the very beginning of the game you constantly encounter the Ifia Tree's roots and don't even learn what they are until a third of the way through.

To answer your question, Dice: #TeamEiko all the way. White Magic is just so much more useful than summons. Speaking of which, I always feel bad for Vivi 'cause he is pretty much useless for the second half of the game.
((STOP MAKING MP SUCH AN EXPENSIVE RESOURCE, DEVS!!))

I totally forgot about Pandemonium's annoying puzzles. Probably some repression was involved.

But how cool is it that you're fighting FF1's main villain in FF3's final dungeon and walk away with FF2's final airship?

The Invincible was FF3's final airship. FF2 only gave you Cid's airship (which was unnamed, the Dreadnought was the only other airship and the only named one). Also Memoria was closer to FFIV's final dungeon rather than III's Dark World.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2015, 07:39:25 PM »
Er, right. I got those mixed up. Meant fighting FF1's main villain (Garland) in FF2's final dungeon (Pandemonium) and walking away with FF3's final airship.

EDIT:

= I just want to say, I hate when a gameplay mechanic gets used for a plot point.  I cringed a bit during the Bravely Second 'teaser' when Magnolia starts going "BRAVE!! BRAVE!!! ...DEFAULT!!".  The GF-memory loss plot-thing in FF8 is widely regarded as bizarre.  So I'm not really sure how I feel that "Trance Kuja" is a thing since the game barely pays the concept any mind beyond the tutorial battle for it. 

I'm willing to let Xenoblade be the exception to this.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 09:58:44 AM by Klutz64 »

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2015, 05:10:30 PM »
Er, right. I got those mixed up. Meant fighting FF1's main villain (Garland) in FF2's final dungeon (Pandemonium) and walking away with FF3's final airship.

EDIT:

I'm willing to let Xenoblade be the exception to this.

Like with Shulk going "MONADOOooo.... LEND ME YOUR POWER!!!" x)

I love saying "The Monado", it's one of those words that just sound videogamey.

EDIT: oh my god I write way too much for this stupid thing....
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 03:49:23 PM by Dice »

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2015, 11:31:47 PM »

^ *click the pic!!* ^ Track: Memoria

Part XI: It Began with a Play

This is it. :(

Brief Synopsis: Upon returning from Terra, the world of Gaia is covered in Mist once more.  The Iifa Tree is lit up purple and leads to the final dungeon Memoria (yeah I can't explain this part better than that), where Kuja has infiltrated a way to find the planet's crystal and hopes to destroy it --- which will destroy everything so Kuja won't then 'die alone'.  The part of course goes to stop him.  Confronting a slew of bosses, the party fights Kuja and Necron and finally bring the world to peace.  Zidane however leaves the party to go see his brother one last time as the Lifa Tree begins to collapse, their fates unknown.  

Some time later, the world is at peace.  The party reunites to go see the famous "I Want to Be Your Canary Play" once again in Alexandria, only for a surprise guest to return.

= Memoria....literally it comes out of nowhere.  There's no antecedent, no build up or mention, or some-ancient-whatever that brings it up even in some abstract sense.  The game needed a final dungeon, and I guess going the FF6/8 route of "Kuja's Tower" was just a little worn out an idea.  

That said, I have no problems with the place.  From beginning to end, there's no bad-looking part of it, it's simply *stunning*.  I also like that it offers some cool backstory to the whole 'birth of the planet' and a unique take on shared memories and the root of existence.  Granted, it's all "fantasy-mumbo-jumbo", but I guess the series wouldn't be called 'Final Fantasy' for no good reason either; the game has managed to craft such a unique and gorgeous world because it allows weird magic to exist.  

...It's kind of wonderful how we enjoy the make-believe of storytelling so much even as adults, you know?

Anyways, I love how unconventional it all is with the random ghost card players, secret bosses, secret weapons, and secret save points.  A special shout-out to a surprisingly chill final dungeon theme too.

= AUGH.  The difficulty spike at Memoria is pretty apparent.  But worse was when I was fighting both the Lich and the Kraken but I forgot to take off 'Return Magic" on Amarant/Vivi.  ...That battles weren't hard, but a lot longer than it needed to be since they kept getting healed every time it used an elemental spell.
   (And resetting is for chumps! D:< )

= I like how Gaia's world enemies also get a difficulty spike!  Not all, but quite a few areas get some higher level monsters.  Cool idea!  Makes retreading old ground a bit more interesting and works in the context of a dangerous mist-filled world.

= Final boss party: Zidane, Eiko, Quina, and Vivi.  Quina for Auto-Life and Frog Drop, Eiko for Healing/Holy, Vivi for Reflect 2x, and Zidane for anything else or a combination of the others.  
   Just about any party works though, and by the end it's great that each character can work very well on their own merit.

= My dumb ass gave a 'Gimmecat!' a precious, precious Diamond.  And that fucker made off with it...

...Maybe it's a good thing no stranger offered me candy as a kid....

​= I bet the summon Ark would be a lot better/cooler if the game didn't cap damage at 9999.  Or hell, I bet they could have made it a lot more special by having it be that one summon be the one thing that COULD break the cap.  But it doesn't.  And there's a lot of faster/better ways to hit the damage limit and be content watching the summon on YouTube.​  
Garnet out, and Eiko -- you're subbed in -- for good.

​= I got nothing much to say about the optional bosses.  I will say they both look cool as hell.  
   Hades looks awesome because it looks like he's been sitting in that chair long enough to become PART of it, and Ozma looking like what happens if you could 'divide by zero' in real life. It strikes me as incredibly simple...but very appealing... in a modern art sort of way.

​= Necron is a pretty easy final boss and probably one of the worst offenders for being an enemy that came straight outta fucking nowhere.  I feel in some ways it's similar to Nyx was in Persona 3 (a sort of darkness from the "great beyond", called to the world by death/hate/etc).... Yet Persona 3 perhaps managed the idea better I think.  
   Still, I do think it's an interesting perspective how humans are constantly fighting, killing, and so forth without much resolution and we're terrible at achieving peace.  Do we wish destruction?  Is there a death-drive in people?  Rather than take on the concept of death, I think FF9 is more about *living*, and Necron is less of a plot-related character than a symbol and antithesis to what the party is fighting for and giving it shape.  The fact Necron isn't too bummed about being defeated (perhaps it "as a concept" being eternal) sort of helps the idea along.  
   It's a broad and imperfect idea, but I don't mind it; for a game that's done so much right along the way, how can I be annoyed?  

Furthermore, while I doubt having Necron as a final boss was the reason for this, but I like that it keeps Kuja away from being the "biggest shit" in the end, and all the 'sound and fury' spent on Necron leaves room for a peaceful farewell between the brothers.  

= I think only a few games can actually get the credit for having *amazing* and perfectly satisfying endings.  FF9 would be up on that list.

= The way the 4th Disc uses up the CDs memory is wonderful.  In general the limit FF9 takes things graphically is nothing short of unreal; I think in good part the game has aged so significantly well because of a wonderful and lively script, but also sharp graphics and ability to tells its story on such an expansive medium like videogaming can.  

= Zidane's final moments with Kuja are wonderful (I especially love the FMV that comes before it where our hero jumps and rides giant vines to go find his dying brother; this game never forgets to have fun even in dire circumstances).  Zidane knows Kuja is alive and out of guilt, duty, and a surprising sense of empathy he must go see him, fully admitting Zidane might have acted in the same destructive manner as Kuja if the tables were turned.  
   Makes you think how different some of our lives could be we were born any other place or any other time....
   The final interaction is short, but humbling.

=  Eiko gets her confession out at least.  Before Garnet could no less.
It's nice that Eiko has a new mother and father in Cid and Hilde.  Hilde takes it very gracefully and Cid couldn't be happier!  For a young girl with a lot of tragedy behind her, the future looks bright at least!

=  Quina never really got to eat much, did s/he?  Well, besides monsters. ​  Still, its life in a castle kitchen seems appropriate; Quina if anything represents the simple joy in living and loving what you do being a part of doing what you love.  

= The shot of many marching Vivi Jr's is adorable.
Side note, I'd like to think Vivi married a beautiful she-witch for sure. :)
God rest little black mage, your life was short, but meaningful.

​= At last, the rain stops in Burmecia, and Freya starts to rebuild her home life and love life -- both from scratch.​

= Amarant's end merely has him reunite with Lani and head to Alexandria.  His change is the least 'ground-breaking', but I do like the subtlety since it matches his characters.  For an older, hard-as-nails character, his journey gave him time to think and gain new perspectives.

= Unlike the others, I'm not sure what Garnet learned from her journey besides, really, a little bit of everything.  In some ways, I feel it's the most realistic of all because of it; she lived, lost, and learned a lot.

= I can't say I understood the symbolism/importance of Garnet dropping her necklace in the end.  I don't really get why Beatrix wanted to 'leave service' either; especially since she has her mind changed about a minute later with Steiner 'steeling' himself up literally and figuratively to ask her to stay.  I'm glad it worked out in the end, and the shot of them two holding the sword "Save the Queen" is perfect.

= I've talked a lot about this game, I'm sure you're all sick of it and skimming by this point.  But if I can end on any quick and excellent notes for a moment?  
Hmm. This game is nearly *perfect* in almost every way, at least as close as a thing can get to that point.  Sure the battle system is a little slow, and a few elements are peculiar, and if it ain't happening in the Mist Continent it ain't gonna get elaborated on.  But still, the characters are charming, the story is fantastic and familiar, and the atmosphere is inviting and thrilling.  I think it good part why FF fans will *always* be FF fans (no matter any misfires or only 'ok' titles that come) is because the PSX era of Final Fantasy titles managed to be such accomplishments.  

Truly, Final Fantasy 9 as the "last traditional FF" is an amazing example of how to be both like a shiny new pair of shoes --- but also like getting right back into an old and comfortable pair as well.

= Oh!  Also, it's nice to see "I want to be your Canary" uninterrupted this time...!!
   Well, for the most part, but that's ok. :)

It ended with a play.

It was fun everyone! :D
I'll still read if there's any comments, but I can't wait for the next one!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 11:35:47 PM by Dice »

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
Re: *DONE* Dice Plays FFIX (1st post w/ Table of Contents & Plot Summaries!)
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2015, 12:16:18 AM »
The musical cues in that ending were perfect. Highs and lows, familiar and new, mellow and dramatic, every note from the moment you finish the final battle to the credit roll showcased just how carefully thought out and wonderful the music in FFIX truly is. That build up before Zidane's big reveal still gives me goosebumps after seeing the ending three or four times.

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2015, 09:30:52 AM »
= Necron is a pretty easy final boss and probably one of the worst offenders for being an enemy that came straight outta fucking nowhere.  I feel in some ways it's similar to Nyx was in Persona 3 (a sort of darkness from the "great beyond", called to the world by death/hate/etc).... Yet Persona 3 perhaps managed the idea better I think.  
   Still, I do think it's an interesting perspective how humans are constantly fighting, killing, and so forth without much resolution and we're terrible at achieving peace.  Do we wish destruction?  Is there a death-drive in people?  Rather than take on the concept of death, I think FF9 is more about *living*, and Necron is less of a plot-related character than a symbol and antithesis to what the party is fighting for and giving it shape.  The fact Necron isn't too bummed about being defeated (perhaps it "as a concept" being eternal) sort of helps the idea along.  
   It's a broad and imperfect idea, but I don't mind it; for a game that's done so much right along the way, how can I be annoyed?  

Furthermore, while I doubt having Necron as a final boss was the reason for this, but I like that it keeps Kuja away from being the "biggest shit" in the end, and all the 'sound and fury' spent on Necron leaves room for a peaceful farewell between the brothers.

While I can't deny he was an "out of the blue" boss, I actually liked the idea behind Necron. It's an entity that essentially has the power to use the crystal to "reset" the universe and wipe it away to a clean slate. Yet after the intrepid heroes "beat" it, Necron simply decides not to do what it intended when the fight began. In all honesty, you could argue that they didn't actually "defeat" Necron, but rather convinced him to give life another chance. And I'd like to think this may have influenced Zidane to seek out Kuja for that final scene. 

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2015, 09:38:39 AM »
Man, I really need to play through this one day.
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2015, 03:33:23 PM »

Highly recommended.  One of those nice cases where they set out to make a classic....and succeeded.
Plus cheap!  I'd love to read yours, or anyones thoughts, if you do. :)

While I can't deny he was an "out of the blue" boss, I actually liked the idea behind Necron. It's an entity that essentially has the power to use the crystal to "reset" the universe and wipe it away to a clean slate. Yet after the intrepid heroes "beat" it, Necron simply decides not to do what it intended when the fight began. In all honesty, you could argue that they didn't actually "defeat" Necron, but rather convinced him to give life another chance. And I'd like to think this may have influenced Zidane to seek out Kuja for that final scene. 

I admit I didn't take that away from the small interaction with it.... but I like it.  Indeed, the crystal in the end is safe and sound, so why not, it seems about right.  Indeed, the final fight demonstrates that will to live despite the odds, despite the foe, despite anything.  The happy ending indeed being earned.

The musical cues in that ending were perfect. Highs and lows, familiar and new, mellow and dramatic, every note from the moment you finish the final battle to the credit roll showcased just how carefully thought out and wonderful the music in FFIX truly is. That build up before Zidane's big reveal still gives me goosebumps after seeing the ending three or four times.

It's sort of 'eh' to sit through about 3-4 minutes of a fake play, and yet I definitely caught myself holding my breath waiting as the 'big reveal' happens.  And honestly, the ending is perfect.  It's a typical "they found each other" but the set up for it honestly couldn't be better.  It's heart-warming in the right ways but clever enough to avoid the pit fall of being too corny.

EDIT: Damn.. I'm experiencing that sad withdrawal when you've beat a good game and dunno what to do (PGD: Post-Game Depression :P ).  I'd kill to see FF9 remastered.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 04:51:10 PM by Dice »

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2015, 04:52:58 PM »
Well played, Dice! I enjoyed following the journey.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2015, 05:38:59 PM »
EDIT: Damn.. I'm experiencing that sad withdrawal when you've beat a good game and dunno what to do (PGD: Post-Game Depression :P ).  I'd kill to see FF9 remastered.

You could always play for Excalibur 2. :V

Code: [Select]
Don't actually play for Excalibur 2.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2015, 05:42:13 PM »

You could always play for Excalibur 2. :V

Code: [Select]
Don't actually play for Excalibur 2.

My final play time was like 60 hours.  So I was about 50 hours too late. :P

Well played, Dice! I enjoyed following the journey.

Really hope you did, it was fun to do and I'm sad it's all over. D:

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2015, 05:24:47 AM »

Highly recommended.  One of those nice cases where they set out to make a classic....and succeeded.
Plus cheap!  I'd love to read yours, or anyones thoughts, if you do. :)

I've had it for many, many years, but never made it past the first of second disc. Similar to Legend of the Dragoon, its just a game I restart every once in a while and never complete, despite having a good time with it.
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you