Author Topic: RPGs where picking your active party was hard

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
RPGs where picking your active party was hard
« on: February 02, 2015, 12:41:04 AM »
What are the games that you find you had too many good/fun characters and too few active party spots?

Star Ocean 3
I really would have loved a 4th spot in this game. Every other SO has 4 spots. (Blue Sphere doesn't count because it's shit).
I'm usually rocking Fayt, Mirage and Maria, but I would have loved to have either Nel or Sophia in there too.

Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic 2 (KotOR2)
Pick 3: Handmaiden | Visas | Atton | Mira
All of them make great jedis and are really interesting characters.
There's also the issue where the game heavily rewards you for having Kreia in your party too =/
At least you get to use everyone in split party missions.

Baldur's Gate 2
You'd think a game with 5 party slots and 17 possible recruit would be somewhat easy but it turns out that a lot of the BG2 characters are really interesting.
Imoen, Jaheira, Aerie, Anomen, Viconia, Keldorn, Mazzy, Sarevok...
That's already 8 characters I'd love to use (lack of rogues is because I play one, otherwise you could put Nalia in there too)
I usually end up with Anomen, Imoen, Aerie, Viconia and Jaheira.
The banter between Anomen + Viconia and Aerie + Viconia is just awesome (although you have to be really careful with this party because they WILL try and kill each other lol - you need the alignment swap helmet on Viconia at all time until you get her to be neutral instead of evil)

Suikoden 1 & 2 (and probably all the other ones that I haven't played)
I mean, sure, there's plenty of silly and bad characters, but among the B/A/S-tier characters, there's a good debate to be had.
I ended up using for Suikoden 1: Tir, Hix, Flik, Viktor, Kasumi and Tengaar ||| and for Suikoden 2: Riou, Tir, Sierra, Eilie, Rina and Lorelei
That said, I found it much harder to decide my party for Suikoden 2 than 1.

Radiata Stories (kinda)
Everything below is about the Human Path because the Faery path is filled with terribad characters and you end up choosing whatever...
Unlike Suikoden above, Radiata has characters that are way OP and sadly it just makes everything easier to use them.
That said, it's still hard to choose who exactly you want out of OP ones and then some A tiers with unique abilities can be nice.
Here I went with Jack, Valkyrie, Elwen and Miranda (not S-tier, but her party wide defense buff is really nice + can heal)

Tales of Xillia 2
I've never had much trouble with Tales games overall except for this one.
Choosing my party in Xillia 1 wasn't really hard: Jude, Alvin, Elize and Leia.
Then comes Xillia 2 which forces me to play Ludger (he's seriously way OPier than anyone else and the AI is retarded with him) AND adds Gaius & Muzet.
I still feel bad for ditching Alvin as I really love his guard break but in the end I went with a heavy magic team: Ludger, Elize, Milla & Muzet.
I would have loved to have some bromance with Alvin, Jude and Gaius though...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 12:43:33 AM by Annubis »

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
Re: RPGs where picking your active party was hard
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 02:09:46 AM »
Funny timing, considering I was just having this grumble not last night even...

Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 1&2

So let me get this straight....you've giving me 20+ characters per game to chose from...and the combat uses THREE ACTIVE PARTY SLOTS!? (Four in 2, not that it helps much.)

...>.<; Ai yah...

It doesn't help matters, at least in 1 so far, that they literally dump about 6-7 new characters on you in a single sitting at game's end. Good luck sorting through that mess.

Wild Arms XF & Final Fantasy Tactics

XF had this problem more so than FFT but fundamentally the same issue occurs. Story Characters vs Full Customs. Since I love making my own units it's always a frustrating problem to cherry pick down to which ones I want to keep for the final formation. Usually this changes slightly on each revisit so I can't really say I have a set I just lock into by default.

Then this issue compounds when you have troubles decided on active CLASS on top of active character. In FFT it more comes from overload, since unless you're using a guide you're constantly wanting to max things out and discover what new classes can be obtained with just the right combinations. In XF it comes from that, unless you've done some serious grinding, the rate at which you obtain your core classes far, far outpaces the rate in which you can max them. I want to say I've never fully beaten the game, but in my deepest run only had about 1.75 per character out of the 12 total options (13 for main characters) topped out.

As an odd note, I never have this problem with Disgaea. Despite the shedload of DLC it drops on you. I always can trim it down to a Top 9 no problem.

Fallout New Vegas

Floating eye bot...or cyber dog...
Floating eye bot...or cyber dog...
Floating eye bot, or...

...can't I just ditch the humanoid?

Ar Tonelico 1 & 2

Oh now here's a sadistic choice.

"Hey, pick your favorite between two branching ending characters... Oh, you've chosen? Great! Here's an amazing option #3. ...now pick again. <3 Oh, and if you're playing the sequel let's hide some of the crucial events to #3 just so you have to do this again for access."

....fuuuuuuuuuu-*beep*

Star Ocean 2

Let's play the denial game~!

Do you like that Dragon-toting guy you see early?  Be careful~. We'll lock you out of all the Tetrageniots if you pick him.

"*beep*!"

Bowman seems pretty chill right? And things are urgent so why don't you hurry along with his quest and pick him up...oh, I forgot to mention that for doing that we're shutting you out of rocket punch girl~.

"*beep* *beep*!!"

Oh, have you been picking up every character you can like a normal RPG? Silly gamer...we're going to shut you out of the strongest character in the game because of that. And if you were even foolish enough to play this on PSP let's add ANOTHER character to utterly shut down those precious end-story slots. <3

"*beep* a *beep*ing monkey with a *horn*ing stick on a-!"

*cut transmission*

Final Fantasy 7

You know oddly enough I thought this would be a franchise with that issue cropping up more often.

1-5, 10-2, 13-2, 13-3: Not enough characters at one time to be an problem. (Yes I know 4's PSP Remake's Post-Game. But you've already beaten the game, so it doesn't quite count.)

6: I honestly though this would be my pick. But really...it's never been an issue. Terra, Celes, Shadow, Sabin, done! I think it has more to do with everyone else just feeling more situational than not in combat.

8, 10, 12: Less a problem of 'who to pick' as 'who to pick this playthrough'. These all have systems that turn the characters into carbon clones anyway. Although 8 gets away with it a bit more since the limit breaks have far more character-charm to them. But since everyone's interchangeable I never stress over it.

9: I can see this being a problem for others. But none of the cast really grabbed me. And in the case of some like Steiner getting their best weapon creates so much hassle that I just never play them for that reason alone.

And then we go back to Final Fantasy 7...

I could use Aeris...but that'd be a time waste...but I still wanna.
Tifa has fun combos.
Cait Sith is goofy yet adorable.
Red XIII is just <333.
Yufie and Vincent always get hidden-character points on top of being good to begin with.
Barret gets the Mr T-knock-off award.

...what do you mean I can't get rid of Cloud permanently? I'll trade him out for Aeris! Please! Oh come on, it's the DLC-Micro-Trans era. I'll pay you $2 for another party slot~.

Grandia...Xtreme

No, really. Dipped in red for probably being the hardest character decision game ever for me. There's just so many good choices and fun combos that you want to use them all. But due to the grindy nature of the game and the looooong treck through the End-Game+ dungeon you really don't often want to do rolling playthroughs. You pretty much pick your team then start optimizing them for half a month with no looking back. There is no horse-swapping here, mostly due to perm-stat boosting food investments.

Titto always has to make the cut because he's the only one who can steal. And bosses drop some goood crap.
Myam fights for a spot due to her AoE egg-less healing. Her abilities suck in the water temple but once you get past that she's golden.
Carmine, Bradol, and Ulk all fight for the 'bruiser' position and really it can be a hard sell for one over the other.
Jaid is a mage who can take a hit. Let me repeat that due to it's rarity...a MAGE...with ENDURANCE...holy crap.

I can't even make the 'get rid of the main character' joke here because you NEVER toss the PC with Sky Dragon Slash in a Grandia title.

So once you're done sifting through all that mess, spending the first third of the game getting used to your final set up, guess what?

Surprise! Extra character Lutina! Hope you're ready to play the trimming round again!

*rageplosion*

« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 02:24:07 AM by ZeronHitaro »

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 03:02:26 AM »
^
FF7: Barret's Angermax is too good to pass him up.  Red is handy, shame has final Limit hits once (I keep him in mostly due to a loving bias for dogs though). =/  I stuck with Yuffie endgame because of the Enforcer making good use of the Morph skill (essentially, I'd argue Morph outranks stealing by the late game).  I tend to drop Tifa when her Limits start getting long and there's bigger chances to fuck it up.

FF9, even though I'm working on it, sadly sees me pitch Vivi for more efficient attackers.  If I could I'd toss a White Mage, but they're too handy and potions are the worst.

As for Star Ocean 2: There's almost no question, Opera and Bowman make the better teammates.  Now in terms of who delivers better PAs though.... (I think I could do a game journal on this game without even needing to replay it though).

FFX: Poor Kimahri.

My FF6 part basically looked the same.  Terra, Sabin, and Celes were always in, anyways.

Anywho.

Eternal Sonata throws like 12 characters at you and you can only run in with three at a time.  That said, most are awesome for some variety of situation making the final team pretty hard to decide (except Falsetto....she's the staple).

Radiant Historia also has amazing cast diversity that makes it hard to pick a proper party.  I ended up sticking with Rainie and Marco for the final boss (a balanced lot if there was one), but funny enough I used Erica[?] and Aht for the secret boss and couldn't do it without them.

Star Ocean 3 was a great choice.  Yeah, that one makes me hard to press who's best.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 09:09:25 AM »
Funny timing, considering I was just having this grumble not last night even...

Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 1&2

So let me get this straight....you've giving me 20+ characters per game to chose from...and the combat uses THREE ACTIVE PARTY SLOTS!? (Four in 2, not that it helps much.)

...>.<; Ai yah...

It doesn't help matters, at least in 1 so far, that they literally dump about 6-7 new characters on you in a single sitting at game's end. Good luck sorting through that mess.

I found any character in Re:Birth 1 that wasn't a main character to be pretty much garabage (not counting MAGES. in some situations, and the Candidates when you finally get them leveled up). I basically used Neptune, Compa, and IF for most of the game, eventually replacing IF for Blanc's ungodly VIT and Compa for Vert when I realized Compa's healing doesn't make up for her low survivability and items are a fine way to heal anyway.

I'm generally indecisive about everything so it would probably be harder for me to think of games where I did know what party to use throughout, but to keep with the theme, here's a few that were particularly hard for me:

Persona 3/4: Less of a problem in 3 since you end up swapping party members constantly anyway, but in Persona 4 I always have a hard time deciding who to take with me. Even Yukiko isn't always a sure thing since I generally try to keep a good healing Persona with the MC.

Super Mario RPG: This game had excellent balancing for characters. A little too excellent, and every character was useful in their own way. For such a small cast it was incredibly hard to pick and choose who to bring into battle since they could all hold their own.

.Hack IMOQ/.Hack GU: These games had the opposite problem. Every character was simply defined by their class and were all basically "take 'em or leave 'em," so deciding who to bring with you was generally which characters you like the best; In GU anyway, in the first set of games it was "which characters annoy you the least?"

AND DOESN'T REALLY COUNT, BUT...

Everry Harvest Moon Ever: I've never played a HM game where it was obvious which bachelorette I was going to pursue.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 09:12:32 AM by Klutz64 »

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 09:43:05 AM »
As for Star Ocean 2: There's almost no question, Opera and Bowman make the better teammates.  Now in terms of who delivers better PAs though.... (I think I could do a game journal on this game without even needing to replay it though).

Opera is nice, but I just can't refuse Ashton.
That and Opera's shrieks in combat can be pretty painful on the ears.

That said, Opera has some of the weirdest endings.
Pair up Opera with any character under 18 and she gets really creepy (boy or girl, doesn't matter for her)

If I had to describe it, I'd say Rena from Higurashi

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 10:12:29 AM »
I'll do a couple of my favorites that spring to mind.  

FINAL FANTASY VI

The largest cast in a main-series Final Fantasy game (I'm pretty sure?) with some pretty cool variety to the cast.  I don't like using Strago or Cyan (even though I like them in the story) because they're slow and don't have great offense that justifies using them.  My favorite party is probably Terra, Relm, Mog, and Gau, but Celes and Shadow almost made that list.  So did Edgar and Sabin.  And I guess Locke.  It's a good game with a lot of characters, okay?

DRAGON QUEST IV

Alena is my favorite character in the game, but she gets less useful towards the end because her Strength and Agility max out faster than anyone else, and she gets stagnant while the rest of your party keeps getting stronger.  In the DS version of the game (where Cristo/Kiryl isn't limited by his AI) my favorite party is The Hero, Ragnar, Cristo, and the secret character.  Yeah, I switch out Alena for the secret character once you meet him.  I'm always scared to use too much magic in a Dragon Quest game, since MP healing is always so limited.  

CHRONO TRIGGER

I... don't like using Magus.  I like Dual Techs and Triple Techs too much.  I used basically everyone, but my favorite party is Crono, Robo, and Ayla.  

PERSONA 3

My favorite party for boss battles was Akihiko, Aigis, and Mitsuru (stat-downs, stat-ups, and Mitsuru's magic offense), but for most of the game I used a lot of different characters.  

PERSONA 4

This cast is really quite balanced in combat; as long you have Yukiko or Teddie present for healing, the rest of your party can be pretty effective.  Naoto is the best character in dungeons, natch, and Kanji is better against bosses than against mobs (Matarukaja, baby).  The first time I beat the final boss, I used Kanji, Chie, and Yukiko, but I used all six companion characters roughly equally for the final few dungeons.  

XENOBLADE CHRONICLES

I don't like controlling Shulk, so for most of the game I would use either Dunban or Melia in the 1st-player role.  If I was using Dunban, I would back him up with Riki and either Shulk or the seventh party member, and if I was using Melia I would back her up with Sharla and either Dunban or Reyn to draw aggro away from Melia.  Yeah, I kind of had a platoon system going on.  My favorite party (which I also used for the final boss) was Dunban, Shulk, and Riki, which is amusingly also the party that Shulk uses for his Final Smash, heh.  

SKIES OF ARCADIA

This barely counts as a game with characters that you can switch out, because you have three mandatory party members and you can only choose between multiple 4th characters for the last 10% of the game.  Still, I could never decide who the best 4th option was; Drachma has the best defense and SP bonuses, Gilder has the best physical attacks, and Enrique has the best magic and probably the best super move in Justice Shield.  When I was doing late-game side quests I changed party members constantly.  

STAR OCEAN 2

I've only beaten SO2 once, picked Rena's path, and I recruited Opera but missed out on Ernest (I know, I know...).  I used Claude, Rena, Opera, and Dias for most of the game. 

Dincrest

• Public Relations Nightmare
  • RPGFan Editor
  • I have nothing funny to say
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 03:49:44 PM »
How about Chrono Cross?  Granted, there are times when picking and choosing is pretty easy, but there are other times when it's not. 
Sometimes I wonder if there was ever a time a last-place Olympic diver decided before their final dive, "I'm in last place, I have nothing to lose, I might as well have some fun with this" then yell "CANNONBALL!" from the diving board before launching into a cannonball.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 03:56:47 PM »
How about Chrono Cross?  Granted, there are times when picking and choosing is pretty easy, but there are other times when it's not. 

It bcomes a bit more fun to pick when you don't get Glen. :P
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Dincrest

• Public Relations Nightmare
  • RPGFan Editor
  • I have nothing funny to say
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 04:03:07 PM »
But once Serge becomes Lynx, you cherry pick big time.  It took me multiple permutations to get through some boss fights. 

And thinking about Star Ocean 2, Noel got shafted.  He was a jack-of-all-trades, but his commands never took advantage of his healing skills and he ended up being a confused mess.  Being a jack-of-all-trades did not work within SO2's gameplay system.  My main party in that game was always a no-brainer: Claude, Ashton, Celine, Rena.  I know some people swear by the Claude, Ashton, Dias, Rena party but that gives you no way to take down flying enemies.
Sometimes I wonder if there was ever a time a last-place Olympic diver decided before their final dive, "I'm in last place, I have nothing to lose, I might as well have some fun with this" then yell "CANNONBALL!" from the diving board before launching into a cannonball.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 03:41:57 AM »
Chrono Cross is probably the one game where it would be really nice to have four or five slots on your team instead of just 2.5 (on NG+ or later). There are a lot of characters that just don't get a lot of screen time due to bad joining times or other characters hogging all the slots due to plot. Not to mention Kid who, despite being central to the plot, is practically encouraged to ignore to the point where you never recruit her at all (unless you count Harle, who permanently leaves due to plot anyways).

Super Mario RPG: This game had excellent balancing for characters. A little too excellent, and every character was useful in their own way. For such a small cast it was incredibly hard to pick and choose who to bring into battle since they could all hold their own.

Right up until you get the Lazy Shell Equipment then it becomes the Mario, Peach Toadstool, Bowser show because Peach Toadstool in Lazy Shell Armor will never die and neither will the party while there's FP left.

DRAGON QUEST IV

Alena is my favorite character in the game, but she gets less useful towards the end because her Strength and Agility max out faster than anyone else, and she gets stagnant while the rest of your party keeps getting stronger.  In the DS version of the game (where Cristo/Kiryl isn't limited by his AI) my favorite party is The Hero, Ragnar, Cristo, and the secret character.  Yeah, I switch out Alena for the secret character once you meet him.  I'm always scared to use too much magic in a Dragon Quest game, since MP healing is always so limited.  

Sounds like you never gave Alena the Falcon Knife Earrings. Who needs a Metal Babble Sword when you can throw two capped Strength punches at enemies, with high odds of Critting (and thus bypassing Defense) with at least one of them, per turn? Though honestly, DQIV has probably one of the most well balanced casts in an RPG I've ever seen (or at least the NES version as being able to control Kyril/Cristo kinda makes Meena/Mara little more than a back up healer since not being a moron with Defeat/Thwack was her selling point in the original). The Hero's great because s/he has to be as s/he is the only one the player gets to directly control in the NES version; Ragnar, Alena and Taloon all offer different takes on the physical fighter archetype with each one being serviceable in their own right (Ragnar has the best HP, solid Strength and Defense and some of the best non-legendary equipment in the game, and little else; Alena has fantastic stats all around but her equipment choices petter out, leaving her with decent armor at best (if she gets the Shimmering Dress otherwise she's stuck in a Pink Leotard) and either a mediocre weapon (Fire Claws) or a weapon that lets her lean hard on her own stats (Falcon Knife Earrings); and Taloon has only okay physical stats and armor choices (Iron Apron sucks but he can also use a Shield of Strength and an Iron Helmet which is more than Alena gets) but he can get a Sword of Miracles if the player is willing to splurge on the Tiny Medals for it and a Liquid Metal Helm instead of two Hats of Happiness (otherwise he's stuck with one of his Swords of Malice which falls to the wayside by the time Ragnar shows up) and more importantly he can also perform random Goof-Off stunts which vary from not that useful to surprisingly good (with the variance shifting from less good to more good as he levels)), while Brey favors support spells over Maya's raw damage spells (though both are fairly interchangeable with each other), and Kyril as mentioned before is just generally better at healing and not dying versus Meena's economic sense.

XENOBLADE CHRONICLES

I don't like controlling Shulk, so for most of the game I would use either Dunban or Melia in the 1st-player role.  If I was using Dunban, I would back him up with Riki and either Shulk or the seventh party member, and if I was using Melia I would back her up with Sharla and either Dunban or Reyn to draw aggro away from Melia.  Yeah, I kind of had a platoon system going on.  My favorite party (which I also used for the final boss) was Dunban, Shulk, and Riki, which is amusingly also the party that Shulk uses for his Final Smash, heh.  

The problem with Shulk is that he's kinda counter-intuitive to play as. He's far more about support and timing his Monado usage rather than being the glamorously OP'd MC that JRPG protagonists fall into 9 times out of 10. Hell he also brings some fantastic support Skills to the table rather than the more personalized traits that the other characters bring (and Seven's final Skill set reinforces this to the tune of wanting to bolt him directly into her for the crazy boosts his presences provides her). The other problem is that there are other, more needy characters that the player must direct to be useful (I'm looking at you Sharla and Melia).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 05:23:45 AM »
Star Ocean 2 was certainly difficult, especially considering it probably has the best cast in the series. I got the Tetragenes, but I probably missed out on PAs with Ashton and Precis. My party was Claude, Rena, Opera and Precis. The party choice is actually the one reason I often consider replaying this game (and probably choosing Rena as MC too). Star Ocean 3 was somewhat tricky too and I ended up getting people I didn't even want because I had no idea what I was doing. This probably made me fall back to a fairly vanilla team consisting of Fayt, Cliff and Sophia. 4 doesn't really have the problem because of party switch option and offensive casters being meh.

The Legend of Dragoon. This is fairly hard, since most everyone is useful, even Kongol since he has easy additions. Then again, it's not like I wanted to keep doing hard timing sensitive attacks with three characters in every single battle. Also since you want to level the said attacks, you have to stick with a specific party. In the end, I decided to go with Dart (whom you can't change anyway), Albert and whoever had the white dragoon spirit. The white dragoon was because there are no additions to make, which is kind of a bad thing in terms of attack power, but the dragoon form has a powerful summon which can cheese a few of the more tricky battles in the game.

Maybe Xenogears could count, but I suppose it comes down to if one wants to be cheap with Aerods or ethers with Crescens or not, which I did. Other than that is just Fei and Citan when available.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 06:40:36 AM »

It bcomes a bit more fun to pick when you don't get Glen. :P
Why would you ever do that though? :p

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 07:38:00 AM »

I found any character in Re:Birth 1 that wasn't a main character to be pretty much garabage (not counting MAGES. in some situations, and the Candidates when you finally get them leveled up). I basically used Neptune, Compa, and IF for most of the game, eventually replacing IF for Blanc's ungodly VIT and Compa for Vert when I realized Compa's healing doesn't make up for her low survivability and items are a fine way to heal anyway.

Alas that has less to do with the characters being garbage and IF (the company) having a very poor design sense when it comes to gear scaling. The main trio get a slew of upgrades both in shop, in treasure, and in plans. Everyone else has to rely on untimely drops (the other three CPUs) or shop updates (which give you things of less power than what you can craft for the Trio five minutes later). You'll notice that between giving anyone not Neptune the item 'Histy's Bookmark' and the shop properly giving everyone an equal opportunity at good gear in a New Game+ run, that everyone's damage is pretty much equal. Throw in the NG+ Coliseum gear and there you go; suddenly Tekken hits harder than transformed Noire.

...but at that point you realize the game's over and the extra content is boring as crap so just quick-grab the True Ending and move on.

Not sure how the heck I forgot CC. Forget Star Ocean 2, this was the king of the PSX era Denial-Game.

The only question is which split sucked more to debate over?

Infiltration Route? Or Kid-Rescue/Abandonment?

>.<;

But to it's credit, at least this time it rather fits with the whole parallel worlds theme. "In another realm you decided Pierre was the best option...and sorely regretted it the rest of your days..."
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 07:40:11 AM by ZeronHitaro »

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 06:23:08 PM »
Aeolus-ing
I'm well aware of the Falcon Knife earrings.  I just didn't like leveling her up and not seeing stats increase.  At least Ragnar can wear good armor and sees speed increases basically forever.  I used Alena for the whole game when I played on the NES, but when SPOILER joins you in the DS version I switched her out.  SPOILER is a pretty cool (if broken) addition, and I guess I liked the idea of a party of four swordsmen. 

Bonus answer:

Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4

Mr. Beaks, Philosophly, Goomez, and Vendorr.  Mr. Beaks and Phil are two of the first monsters you get, but I used them basically all the time.  Beaks is a strong attacker that can set up a lot of buffs and DOT stuff (which I love) and Phil has is a healthy mix of healing, boosts, high speed, and high magic that really works.  I had Phil use Necromaster spells most of the time, as he doesn't have a ton of high-level offense in his basic moveset.  Goomez is another good backup healer with lots of speed and status magic, plus some decent offensive options.  He's not as good of an interrupt character as Dust Bunny, Brodent, or some of the other speed characters, but I love his workable magic offense and bonuses from poisoning foes.  Vendorr is maybe the best character in the game, making items more than triple-effective after some buffs, spending MP to use items for free, and having massive HP, defense, and survivability.  Plus he is a giant, silent vending machine.  Love it.  Later in the game I subbed in some of the secret monsters (Coral Golem, Nigiri-chu, Cthulhu) out for Goomez or Mr. Beaks, but only occasionally. 

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 06:59:18 PM »
Sudoku 3, lately.

Also Shibing Fords.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 09:07:18 PM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`