Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 06:43:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334756 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  SpikeTV award winners announced.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: SpikeTV award winners announced.  (Read 1356 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2006, 07:48:48 AM »

GameSpot story.
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 12:19:03 PM »

Did not play Oblivion nor much of the other top games, but to me it seems a little more fair on who won than last year.

How the hell did that 50 cent game won numerous awards before it even came out last year is a mystery to me :P

Still, I personally find award shows these days more on the shallow side

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 12:41:04 PM »

OH GOD.

We make fun of this ALL THE TIME and we were so happy to be away from North America this year and miss it.  BUT NO EUSIS.  YOU HAD TO BE THE BEARER OF BAD NEWS.

Anyway, odd to see so much Oblivion in there.  And seeing VP2 get mentioned is really fucking alarming.  Then again...  Square Enix.

loloz

Spike TV's shit except for six hours of Star Trek in the afternoon.  :(

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 01:37:37 PM »

Somewhere in the world, at any given time of day, without exception to even the division of a singular second, Star Trek is on television in one of its many incarnations. Spike TV just so happens to occupy like 40% of that quantity in the US and Canada.

Lulz fiddy scent.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 05:03:59 PM »

Quote from: "TurnBasedDude"

How the hell did that 50 cent game won numerous awards before it even came out last year is a mystery to me :P

Fuck 50 Cent.  The Sonata Arctica RPG is where it's at!  (For those who don't know, Sonata Arctica is a metal band from Finland.  They have a pretty good following in Japan.)

http://www.winterheartsguild.com
http://www.sonataarctica.info
http://www.myspace.com/sonataarctica

From what I understand, the game will have new Sonata Arctica songs.  Soundtrack of the Year, baby, yeah!  (I <3 Sonata Arctica).

That article was hysterical with all the contradictions.  Like the comedienne making fun of gamers and the people in the audience run out crying "I dun even play vidio gamez!"  And how Oblivion was named most addicting video game, but the picture caption says Gears of War won most addicting.  EDIT: Oh, that just got corrected to Oblivion.  

This is just too funny.  It's so pathetically bad, it deserves pity laughter.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 09:48:50 PM »

To be fair, the awards are a lot better than last year - I may've argued for FFXII being best RPG of the year, but I need to seriously play that through to be fair I would've called TP game of the year, but their damn insistence to hold this event /before the year is even over/ kept it from qualifying for anything but Critic's Choice... But at least it won there, not like the competition held a candle to it. And at least the GotY was something truly good, and not something churned out every year like Madden, but they've been pretty good with the GotYs since that first one, at least picking ones that make sense. :P

I'm just glad it wasn't a bunch of shitty American action RPGs that were nominated this year for best RPG, or at least ones I didn't give a crap about.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 10:04:58 PM »

LO effing L.

Best Soundtrack:
(a bunch of licensed crap)

Best Original Score:
(a bunch of American stuff...and Oblivion's soundtrack wasn't THAT great...)

Best RPG:
(Oblivion vs. S-E's 3 biggest games, and the American company wins. Big f*cking surprise).

Is it just me, or the industry completely unaware of itself? The press revolving around the videogame industry is at least five times worse than the press revolving around Hollywood.

Hopefully we're a small part of the remedy...

Ramza

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 10:18:17 PM »

They should call the 'soundtrack' category 'licensed music' and leave original score as it is just to differentiate, but I can see how Oblivion can win, even though in regards to music I found Okami had the best OST of those listed that I've played: It's the best I've heard this year in fact, and I only imagine XSII will be a serious challenger. And from what I've heard, GHII definitely sounds like it can have one of the best licensed soundtracks ever. Heck, you could argue it does for having fucking TROGDOR.

I should note that I saw you could vote for this, and did: my choices are probably easy to guess for those three categories, but I voted Okami as GotY between all that you could choose. Wish that won at least one award.

Edit: I just noticed that Oblivion, for winning so many awards, /failed to win on the platform it is native to/. WTF. Probably a weird side effect from this being voted on, rather than having some council decide what's best or something.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 10:37:51 PM »

wait...Guitar Hero 2 has TROGDOR?!?!?

Hell. yes.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 10:42:51 PM »

URL ganked form the GHII songs thread, credit goes to Dade. I know I saw a Youtube link of the actual song too, think it was on VGCats. Probably easy enough to find in a search though.
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 04:36:18 PM »

Holy crap, I had no idea the guys behind Jazz Jackrabbit made Gears of War. That's fucking awesome.

Man, now I want to play Jazz Jackrabbit 2 again.

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 07:23:25 PM »

All I have to say is that Okami deserved some love because it's such a killer game that does almost everything perfectly.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: