Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 08:25:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332705 Posts in 13630 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  IGN: The Top 25 Videogame Franchises
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: IGN: The Top 25 Videogame Franchises  (Read 1212 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2006, 10:02:13 PM »

Link.

I knew the top two had to be there, I just wasn't sure in which order, and I think 3 actually did a lot better than I expected.
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 10:22:45 PM »

I just like that for Warcraft they used a shot from that South Park episode and not a screen from an actual Warcraft game.  Amusing, yes (I love South Park) but a bit out of place.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 10:41:56 PM »

Re: Chrono series...

Despite having only two RPG games released (along with racing and music spin-offs), this franchise still has the power to lure in gamers everywhere.

wtf are they talking about, racing and music spin-offs?

Ramza

EDIT -- and again, this is clearly "Top 25: for Americans," considering Dragon Quest *doesn't exist* on the list. I don't know any US laws demanding that a particular franchise can only release its next game on a Saturday...

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 10:44:28 PM »

I have NO IDEA where the music thing came from, but I'm guessing the racing thing is in regards to the mini-game that was in the future in CT, but that's quite a stretch since they're implying full games there.

Anyone else find it funny Chrono only has /two games/, yet beats out Sonic, which has had several classic installments? Bet it's due to the crappy recent installments.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 10:46:40 PM »

I also find it funny that they don't mention a third game, "Radical Dreamers." Fools don't know their stuff.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 10:48:13 PM »

WTF

Ok, music game is one helluva stretch there, but they really did release a racing game, basically a glorified version of the original racing game, on Satelleview. This also shows they may know about Radical Dreamers, but convinently overlooked it. :P
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 10:51:19 PM »

oh. holy crap. Looks like they showed me up.

I had no idea about those other Satellaview releases, NOR did I know about that promotional 16 minute OAV.

Looks like the music game is refering to the "music library"...

Ramza

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 12:42:37 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Link.

I knew the top two had to be there, I just wasn't sure in which order, and I think 3 actually did a lot better than I expected.

I wasn't sure where number 3 was going to come in.  I wasn't sure if 3 would do better or worse honestly.  When I saw who was 2 and 1 though, I agreed with it.  

On the disagreeing side, I thought pokemon should have been a lot higher and maybe star wars lower (I'm not a star wars fan though).  I'm also a bit surprised that half-life was so low.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 02:27:16 PM »

Quote from: "Akanbe-"
On the disagreeing side, I thought pokemon should have been a lot higher and maybe star wars lower (I'm not a star wars fan though).

Totally with you man. Star Wars games, yes, ARE all over the place, but the rabid following and devotion (not to mention high sales) FOR EVERY SINGLE POKEMON GAME is kinda astounding. Star Wars still sells a lot, but I dont think people hear video games and think of Star Wars too quickly.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 03:24:42 PM »

I think Star Wars is notable for being the one media license with the most great games, even if just by releasing 5 of them a year - if we were to do it by percentage or something, Riddick would win, followed by... uhh, Duck Tales? Still, some of the greatest games ever are of the SW license, namely KotOR, so it does deserve recognition. Even if it's a bit high on that list.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 01:16:03 PM »

I'm surprised that Castlevania was so high on the list. As much as I have always loved Castlevania, I still consider it more of a series for "hardcore" gamers. I don't think I've ever seen a CV game on the bestsellers list.
The top two are well-deserved but very predictable. I'd personally put Zelda first, but thats just because he's so much cooler than Mario.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: