Author Topic: Persona 2: Eternal Punishment OST (PSP 5-disc release)

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment OST (PSP 5-disc release)
« on: February 11, 2015, 11:00:53 PM »
Hey everyone! We're trying something new! Feel free to chat about this album here, and do be sure to check out Pat's review of said album:

http://www.rpgfan.com/soundtracks/persona2-ep-psp/

Did you like the new PSP music? Feel it clashed with the old style? I actually enjoyed it, but I also don't have much nostalgia associated with P2 and adore the more modern stuff from the series.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 03:48:15 PM by Taelus »
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
Re: Persona 2: Eternal Punishment OST (PSP 5-disc release)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 02:10:45 PM »
For anyone who didn't read the reivew, it's worth noting/remembering that the PSP remake of Eternal Punishment did *not* get localized. All we've ever had access to in "Eternal Punishment-land" is the old OST. So this new music truly will be new to you.

Of course, it's the same team that worked on the Innocent Sin remake music. So if you didn't like that... you might not like this.

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 08:42:19 PM »
I had fun listening to this.  The transition from the original versions to the modern versions gives you a feel for the musical sensibilities of the two eras, and makes me even more intrigued by the work that Konishi, Kitajoh, et al. do for Atlus Sound Team.  I general think the Persona 2:EP Sound Selection is a better listen, but this is a really great, thorough collection of tunes. 

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 09:13:57 PM »
Yeah, I've always been a big fan of the new Persona 2 tunes. I know they clash a bit with the style of P1/P2 original, but I like that they connect it a little better aurally to P3/4, and find the reworked music to still keep the crunchiness I loved about the classic P2 stuff.
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

dharkhades

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 07:12:15 PM »
I would have probably enjoyed it more if they had released ONLY the new music because I already had the old music (which was great on its own). Too many tracks, too repetitive, I had a difficult time digesting it all, even after two full listens.

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 08:59:44 PM »
For me it's often the case where if something is re-released with new material, I don't mind so long as the new material is clearly marked so I can 'get right to it.' Otherwise it can get messy and time-consuming!

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 02:04:18 PM »
agreed with Stephen. If they had placed old ver. track and new ver. track paired up one after another that would've been awful. But they did the sensible thing by putting all the new music on some discs and all the old music on the other discs. So ... if you own the old thing, okay, you have it twice. But you got the new thing too. :)

This sort of thing happens to me a lot, and I will often sell off the "old" subset. The only exception I made was when I got the Seiken Densetsu Box Set, I kept my Seiken Densetsu 2 OST that I'd owned separately because it is signed by Hiroki Kikuta. On the other hand, when I got the FFXI Premium OST Box (the 7 disc one), I sold my Rise of the Zilart OST (the only FFXI CD I had on-hand at the time) because it was completely contained in that box.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 01:13:13 AM »
I bought the six disc Innocent Sin soundtrack primarily for the original mix, which I wanted to own.

I didn't really care for the new mixes on that - and I can't imagine I would care for the new mixes on this.

There's a certain charm that the original soundtrack has for me that can't be replaced. Probably nostalgia as it brings back specific memories.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.