Author Topic: Xenoverse, DBZ game or something more?

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
Xenoverse, DBZ game or something more?
« on: February 21, 2015, 03:15:21 PM »
So Dragonball Z Xenoverse drops this week. Now, we all know DBZ games are not games. They historically have proven themselves in recent years to be utter trash disguised as games because anything with Saiyans in it moves copies regardless.

I hang my head in a bit of shame to admit that I think Xenoverse may completely and utterly kick ass. I played the beta simply because I got an invite to it without ever even having applied, so I can at least sign off on the gameplay. That alone is enough to coax me into trying it as it felt nothing like a fighting game at all really. Super easy to grasp, no crazy break-my-controller type of stuff. Actually felt like a hair more complex than your typical beat em up but not by much.

This is all beside the point though. The reason I am posting is because I have a hunch this isn't gonna be a DBZ game at all. No folks, I actually think this is gonna be "Create a character-fighter/RPG-lite". And yes, while I just created that genre/title off the top of my head it really looks like it may be accurate. As a fan of Akira Toriyama's charmingly ugly artwork, which has captivated me since I was a kid, I can't help but be stoked.

Now watch me look like a fool in few days when the game turns out terrible! LOL

Really though, I'm intrigued with this one.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
Re: Xenoverse, DBZ game or something more?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 03:44:30 AM »
Anyone ever play those old NES DBZ RPGs? Those were weirb,

They're also partially why I have a degree in Russian and when I say partially I mean that's 100% a lifetime of poor decision making but playing Japanese DBZ NES RPGs when I was 10/11ish are what /caused/ that lifetime of poor decision making.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 03:55:12 AM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 07:34:16 AM »
I have to admit, the game looks like it could be fun, but I am hesitant to pick it up because I have a good four games dropping in March so not sure I would get around to it anytime soon. >.>

Anyone ever play those old NES DBZ RPGs? Those were weirb,

They're also partially why I have a degree in Russian and when I say partially I mean that's 100% a lifetime of poor decision making but playing Japanese DBZ NES RPGs when I was 10/11ish are what /caused/ that lifetime of poor decision making.

Never played the NES ones. I did however play an SNES DBZ RPG that was card based (I think it was Legend of the Super Saiyan). That one was weird. For example, as I recall you could save Dende and Dende's brother, make them fuse and then fuse them into Piccolo. I don't know if that was actually a good strategy, but I recall doing it.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 08:19:37 AM »
From what I've read, you can make a female lead which has some people giddy given how very few female saiyans are in DBZ.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 10:02:57 AM »
From what I've read, this one sounds as if it plays similarly to Bushido Blade.  That game was pretty cool. 

And no, I do not wish to remember Dragon Power for NES. 
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 03:21:35 PM »
Now, we all know DBZ games are not games.

Dragon Ball has had its fair share of decent games actually. And besides, stuff like Dear Esther, Gone Home and whatever David Cage does have been discussed before to be "not games", and for good reasons I would say. But that whole thing is a completely different discussion.

And no, I do not wish to remember Dragon Power for NES.

What, you don't like the seemingly endless, painful and repetitive award-winning soundtrack of Dragon Power?

/s

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 10:00:28 AM »

Dragon Ball has had its fair share of decent games actually.

I was referring more to the recent trend of console-crap-of-Z productions in recent history when I was talking bad about the games.

Legends on PS1/Saturn was a unique gem, Hyper Dimensions on Super Famicom was one of my favorite imports as a kid and in recent history King Piccolo on the Wii was a worthy beat-em-up.

I personally can't sign off on the budokai franchise. I enjoyed one of them briefly but it was a fletting blister inducing experience.

Now XENOVERSE.

Just got through playing it for 4 hours. I'm not gonna get into much as that isn't enough time with it, but I can safely say I'll be investing some of my life in this game. It is, at the very least, an inspiring title for no other reason than the unique spin on the DBZ narrative and refreshing gameplay. This feels way more role playing/beat em up hybrid that flat out fighter with a creat-a-character that would impress anybody familiar with the Z-universe and Toriyama.

The coolest thing I've noticed so far is the difficulty. You don't get to set it via easy-medium-hard but rather, it seems more manipulated by how you methodically set your character skills, choose allies for missions and various other factors. In other words, if its too hard you can exploit game mechanics to ease your suffering.

I will officially say I don't feel like an idiot for a day 1 purchase here.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 10:40:39 AM »
Please do say more when you've put some more time on it.
I'm still at the debating purchase phase.

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 01:55:30 PM »
I was referring more to the recent trend of console-crap-of-Z productions in recent history when I was talking bad about the games.

I haven't put any kind of attention to DB in years to know about any of that. Ironically, browsing some sites recently I was surprised to find out about Dragon Ball Minus.

I'll see if one of these days I get around to read this manga.

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 06:27:04 PM »
Please do say more when you've put some more time on it.
I'm still at the debating purchase phase.

Ok after an absolutely stupid amount of playtime I will say the following.

1- This game is NOT for fans of typical fighters. This is unique and really caters to a player (such as I) who finds the execution of combos in something like Mortal Kombat maddening. The gameplay is superbly friendly for a newcomer and feels very much like a brawler/beat em up.

2. The clunkiness of the first few hours completely disappears. As soon as new moves are acquired as you level up, combat becomes fluid and addicting as sin. The easy to execute maneuvers make you really in control of linking intentional attack strategies, dodging and well placed/timed range attacks. Tank-ee feeling to start quickly evolves to a very tight and deliberate control.

3. RPG elements abound, this is as much a role playing experience as it is a fighter. What is lovely is how mindful of your time they are. Pick up a play variety of modes cleverly weaved into the lobby/hub make picking up your save file for short bursts just as rewarding as any jump-in-and-fight type of title even though in truth this game as whole seems pretty massive in scope.

4. Completely catering to the DBZ fan, this narrative is poorly fleshed out for non-fans. If you don't know your DBZ you can play it but you certainly are gonna be able to tell your in the dark. No real intoduction to cast, characters, world or anything else exists. Now, if you are at least familiar with the general course of the series I think you'll find (as I have) all sorts of awesome here. I'll be bold here and say this is the most original and refreshing take on Dragon Ball I've ever seen but its genius is in how truly purposeful the narrative lends to the game modes itself. You don't feel like picking up random challenges is random at all given the narrative backdrop, lending a greater relevance to just about everything you can do for those who appreciate that.

5. The camera in a DBZ game is finally able to follow the action for the most part! It gets lost here and there but the majority of the time it really keeps pace with my character moving at warp-9.

6. Some mechanics do however prove annoying. No fast travel around hub means your walking everywhere. Finding items amidst battlefields via a first person scouter-search is a pain to use and navigate with to an extent. Lock on hiccups occur here and there but primarily impact the accuracy of high speed movement. Some better equipment and clothing looks positively stupid but is of use and coaxes you into looking like a freaking clown unless your willing to invest the coin into something more fashionable.

7. Expect a bit of time sink to even begin scratching the surface of everything this has to offer. Also, they really let you discover the finer points here by your lonesome. Tutorials exist but they hardly teach anything beyond just glazing over things in a little text blurb.

My verdict. This game is unique. I find it completely awe inspiring to be honest and am totally enthralled with getting further and unlocking more, but I can easily see someone buying it expecting something totally different. I predict review scores ranging from 5 out of 10 to 10 out of 10 with people loving and condemning this game all over the place. Give it 2-3 hours though and even if you came to the table expecting a different meal entirely, I think you will find this extremely palatable.

My hope is that the pace of new and exciting things keeps up because for the first 5-6 hours more and more and more keeps getting added to the equation. If nothing else, they do well enough to keep you motivated here thats for sure.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 06:31:14 PM by Klyde Chroma »

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 08:01:27 PM »
That sounds really good actually.

Some better equipment and clothing looks positively stupid but is of use and coaxes you into looking like a freaking clown unless your willing to invest the coin into something more fashionable.

Where talking real money here, right?

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 09:04:00 PM »
2. The clunkiness of the first few hours completely disappears. As soon as new moves are acquired as you level up, combat becomes fluid and addicting as sin. The easy to execute maneuvers make you really in control of linking intentional attack strategies, dodging and well placed/timed range attacks. Tank-ee feeling to start quickly evolves to a very tight and deliberate control.

I like the sound of this. But when you say in your first point that it "feels very much like a brawler/beat 'em up", what kind of Beat 'em up do I think of to get a better idea?

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 09:45:05 PM »
That sounds really good actually.

Some better equipment and clothing looks positively stupid but is of use and coaxes you into looking like a freaking clown unless your willing to invest the coin into something more fashionable.

Where talking real money here, right?

nope in game currency, sorry for the confusion.

I like the sound of this. But when you say in your first point that it "feels very much like a brawler/beat 'em up", what kind of Beat 'em up do I think of to get a better idea?

what i meant by that is the controls complexity never exceeds that of say, sleeping dogs or shadow of mordor in which your swan song techs don't require much more than trigger holds and dual button presses with a slight reliance on timing for things like dodging. senran kengura versus, which i also just had a blast with, was very much like this as well. in fact senran and xenoverse are very similar control wise and is probably the only accurate comparison that comes to mind. its hard to really draw paralels with other games because of the flying aspects.

it would probably be easier\clearer to distinguish what this does not feel like. this is not a street fighter, soul calibur, dead or alive, virtual fighter, dbz budokai or persona arena. while it certainly is not mordor, sleeping dogs, dynasty warriors or (i'm reaching here) a current gen "tales of" battle system, it feels a hell of a lot closer to these.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 06:35:39 AM »
Sounds a bit like Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble, which I thoroughly enjoyed.  Xenoverse sounds cool.
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 03:18:14 PM »
Think roughly 6pm CST I'm going to try streaming a fresh run of Xenoverse. So if you want to see how this plays out from a pure rookie's experience (with minimum fighter and brawler experience) then feel free to pop in. I don't use cam or any of those annoying 'stalker systems' modern streamers use. Just good old fashioned keyboard chat room replies.

twitch.tv/sakuriono

Do note though, depending on what Xeno's Devs decided to censor out for the broadcasting system the stream might end as soon as it starts. There's every possibility they decided to forbid the audio on anything but the opening menu and multiplayer because...logic? (Sorry, WO3U's made me paranoid now.)