Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 03:46:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334515 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Sony's new viral marketing campaign bit them back hard.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sony's new viral marketing campaign bit them back hard.  (Read 2172 times)
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 12, 2006, 09:09:46 PM »

All I want for christmas is a PSP
http://www.alliwantforxmasisapsp.com/blog/default.aspx

and a mirror in case Sony pulls it.
http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/sonylieblog/default.aspx.htm

A funny as hell article on people's reactions.
http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2006/12/sonys-latest-internet-lie-blog-goes.html

this is pure gold I love it.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 09:37:43 PM »

More than the site, I find the reactions exaggerated and hilariously stupid. One of the best is how this guy said that he wasn't as stupid as Sony thinks he is, then goes on to spell 'damn' wrong.

Gamers need thicker skin.

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 11:31:59 PM »

"You all is haters tymes 4. Dis is lee-git. Don't know why youse thinks this is a schill. Are site was registered through an external provider. We don't work for sony. And for all you dissin' my skillz I'm down for a one on one rap off or settling it street stylez if you feel me playa. Teh. I own a Nintendo DS and I love it. I would still like a PSP for shizzle. But the DS is just as solid." - 'cousinpete'

I don't know what he gets paid to post like that, but it isn't enough.  White ebonics lives!

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 12:39:52 AM »

This has been getting around. The 'unfounded conspiricy theorist' in me can't help but thinking it's a fake, fake blog. Like either people made it just to go around saying sony made it or sony DID make it and leaked that it was fake themselves with a 'no such thing as bad publicity' mindset.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 12:54:32 AM »

Check the link to the blog in Logick's post again - they updated.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 08:59:35 AM »

Still, the publicity stunt worked.  Even if the attention was all just people yelling and screaming, it's still attention.  It got people in an uproar about yet another silly internet thingamabobber.  As Gene Simmons of KISS says, "there's no such thing as bad publicity."

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 09:12:41 AM »

Heh, I like how they disabled all the comments.  That's classy. ;)

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 02:39:25 PM »

Still, the publicity stunt worked. Even if the attention was all just people yelling and screaming, it's still attention. It got people in an uproar about yet another silly internet thingamabobber. As Gene Simmons of KISS says, "there's no such thing as bad publicity."

Yeah...if it negatively affects sales, there is such a thing as bad publicity.

And PSP phails. ^^

Ramza

Scree

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 04:24:12 PM »

Wow I didn't think SOny could make a bigger ass of themselves but I stand corrected.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 05:44:31 PM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
Still, the publicity stunt worked. Even if the attention was all just people yelling and screaming, it's still attention. It got people in an uproar about yet another silly internet thingamabobber. As Gene Simmons of KISS says, "there's no such thing as bad publicity."

Yeah...if it negatively affects sales, there is such a thing as bad publicity.

And PSP phails. ^^

Ramza

I agree. There are certain things that just pique people's interest to buy it, then there's some things that just totally alienate the target audience and will simply go unnoticed by others, and I think this is once of those.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 06:50:44 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
Still, the publicity stunt worked.  Even if the attention was all just people yelling and screaming, it's still attention.  It got people in an uproar about yet another silly internet thingamabobber.  As Gene Simmons of KISS says, "there's no such thing as bad publicity."

Apparently they don't think that way.  They removed the video from youtube and the blog was taken down (or is currently offline).  PA said they posted an apology, but the site seems inaccessible now.

edit:  I found it

Busted. Nailed. Snagged. As many of you have figured out (maybe our speech was a little too funky fresh???), Peter isn't a real hip-hop maven and this site was actually developed by Sony. Guess we were trying to be just a little too clever. From this point forward, we will just stick to making cool products, and use this site to give you nothing but the facts on the PSP.

Sony Computer Entertainment America

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 07:59:10 PM »

The fact they think their target audience of gamers actually talks and acts like that is pretty much them telling us straightly "we think you're all brainless fucktards".

Their more-recent-than-this enormous donation to Child's Play is their attempt to make amends for that, if you ask me.

But to be real honest, I still don't like them one bit. However in light of a huge charitable donation, I'll honestly say I don't outright hate them anymore.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 08:00:19 PM »

Entirely different divisions, if not companies. I doubt SOE really gave a shit what SCE did, unless SCE joined in donating too.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 04:05:36 AM »

Busted. Nailed. Snagged. As many of you have figured out (maybe our speech was a little too funky fresh???), Peter isn't a real hip-hop maven and this site was actually developed by Sony. Guess we were trying to be just a little too clever. From this point forward, we will just stick to making cool products, and use this site to give you nothing but the facts on the PSP.

Sony Computer Entertainment America

Hmmm...hmm.......what if it's actually a double-hoax, and the people that made the site weren't some lame kids OR Sony, but actually a group who designed the site JUST to be debunked and then claim to be SCEA.

ULTRA-CONSPIRACY-THEORY!

That apology just doesn't seem like something anyone from SCEA would let out.

Ramza

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 04:13:29 AM »

The site IS gone, and they've found that an advertising firm owned the domain.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: