Author Topic: Digital VS Physical  (Read 5032 times)

Meredius

• My turntable wants to eat me!
    • View Profile
Digital VS Physical
« on: March 19, 2015, 05:24:52 PM »
Hey everyone. I was wondering what everyone's stance on this was.

I love having an actual object - I think most collector's would also go that route as well. I can't see myself without my music collection for instance (1500+ vinyls and CD's). Although I have a ton of albums that aren't available digital or on Spotify for example. So gone are the good old Walkman and Panasonic Discman (still own 2) days for most people.

But in the reality of today and since everything is gong [is already?!?] digital - I've downloaded music albums... and not bought a CD for a few years. It's a lot less costly for the creator as well since there's no distributor in the mix [stores markup typically around 40% of their purchase price from a publisher AFAIK).

Plus Japanese games are starting to appear on Steam (even though the Japanese Steam % use is 1.3% only....? :/ )

Although in terms if gaming and the explosion of available engines (Unity 5) and talent from across the globe (KickStater and Desura etc.) we now have choice.... and a lot of garbage but we have choice... and we can get games for ridiculously cheaper prices (my Steam backlog is silly) than we ever could. If this means having more imports or translations of games from Japan that we'd never see, isn't that the best thing? To consume the actual product?

SOUND OFF!

*drum roll*

Side chains squash the bass
Blast this ship into outer space
You a Pac-Man bitch on the old Atari
We grand theft auto in a hot Ferrari

-The Crystal Method - Sine Language

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: Digital VS Physical
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 05:30:11 PM »
Digital is great because it saves space and my living quarters are less cluttered.  I'm currently in the decluttering/spring cleaning mode right now.  I love my Kindle because I can take my 1000+ page fantasy novels with me without carrying a massive tome.  Plus, I can alter the font size to suit my eyes. 

I used to be a guy who said yes to ebooks but wanted the real thing for comics and manga, but I'm getting used to reading comics on my iPod.  However, some books, like coffee table books, have to be the real thing. 

The downside to digital is that you can't autograph a data stream.  So I get CDs from bands when I go to shows and have them sign it, but immediately put them on my iPod so I can hear it in my car or when I'm working out.  Yeah, the only time I buy music in physical mediums is directly from artists at shows. 

« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 05:41:23 PM by Dincrest »
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 05:34:52 PM »
There are very few things I'd rather have physical-- Kingdom Hearts games and soundtracks, etc. But the way I actually end up interacting with any of my games is invariably better suited to a digital thing, so I guess I'd lean towards digital!
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 05:37:07 PM »
I've never really been a collector. I have video games, not because I like having them, just because I like playing them. I'd be totally fine if I had unlimited digital access to all of my games.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 05:48:26 PM »
I never understood the "I MUST HAVE PHYSICAL" argument unless it was for collector's junk and other die-hard fan things, much like Taelus does.  I love games, but it is a format that can be digital and a great way to give me easier and more reliable access to things, like Mongoosey said.  And yeah, like Dindindin, I'd rather save the space where I can.

I definitely things will be going more and more digital and physical will be phased out when/if it can (especially if it saves the company $$).

Actually, on that,t he only thing I DON'T like about digital is that there is like never any real savings here.  I hate that physical and digital cost the same most of the time
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 06:06:36 PM »
But if I were to go to an art exhibition, I would want a print so I could get it autographed and hang on the wall.  Then again, that's my MO these days- I only seem to get physical media (e.g. art, music) directly from up-and-coming/ underground artists so that I can get it signed and I have a story behind it.  What's the point of a conversation piece if I can't tell a story about it?  You know, have a conversation?  Any band T-shirt I wear out was from a show, so I can talk about that when people ask. 

Even looking at my CD collection, I would get rid of all of them... except all the crappy demos I got at shows.  Me and some friends have even had "crappy demo listening parties" where we played crappy demos and talked about the shows we got them at. 

I'm not 100% in one direction or another, but I would say I'm mostly digital with some physical exceptions.  Ever since my mom sold me on the Kindle, I've never looked back. 
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Meredius

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 08:49:45 PM »
Cool. Cool. all very valid points. Especially spaaaaaaace.... I have 3 shelf units full of books/DVD's...

I seem to be conflicted too but times change. It's like.. Internet in 1997-1998 ICQ, moderation, an mp3 or a flash vid went around the Web in a week. lol And that time is gone. Games and social media are mainstream. I had to pinch myself when a younger co-worker said "lol" out loud (in a har-har manner).... was weiiiiird.

I can see the art or original piece argument. For example, my profile pic is actually a quadruple vinyl set of remixes by DJ's (DJ Krush, Ken Ishii & DJ Eye) of a japanse punk-rock group called The Boredoms. The art is phantastic! It'll all psychedelic "alive turntables" but that's something you don't get when you download a song.

The mixes are weird.... some of it is borderline free-clusterfuck of sound or throwing a dishwasher down the stairs.... still. Awesome art. :)

I think I said weird too much. Maybe I'm weird. :P

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 09:04:51 PM »
And I don't think it's necessarily a generational gap thing either with tech.  Like, I'm in my 30s so I'm a little longer to "catch up with the times" than a teenager who's grown up indoctrinated.  That being said, I'm seeing the light and embracing it.  But I see enough folks in their 20s going "tech backlash" actively doing things like rejecting Facebook and all that stuff and thinking back to their childhoods when "social networking" was riding your bike to a buddy's house, knocking on the door, and asking if he could come out and play. 

I posted this on my Facebook not too long ago.

Is it just me or am I seeing more and more younger folks go kinda anti-tech? Like whenever one of my twenty-something coworkers is out with friends, his first order of business is "everyone hand over your cell phones" and he doesn't return them till the night's done.

And those "old fashioned" dinner-parties and potlucks that our parents used to do, they're showing a resurgence and many hosts keep a basket where everyone deposits their cell phones/media devices and anyone who goes to get their device before the party's over has to fork over $5 or $10.
Even for me, gadget junkie as I am, when I'm at a party or a show, I make a conscious effort to leave my phone in my car. Not just because I don't want it smashed in a moshpit, but because I want to have real interactions.

Normally, tech would seem like a blessing because I'm admittedly not the smoothest conversationalist. I tend to stumble on my words because of my ADD and don't always respond right away because it takes me a little longer to process everything you're saying. I communicate more eloquently through writing. And that's why the fun, spontaneity, challenge, and freshness of face-to-face conversations is important to me these days...

...And I can't hug words.

Meredius

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 12:44:46 AM »
Interesting! :) I was also like that for a few years. I never played Farmville on FB. :) But I figured that I should use the modern tools or else I become one of "those guys"... and I'm 33 so I can't be over the hill yet!!

I did and do think it's a fantastic tool to organise an event though. Or show where you are - IF you want to.

Curiously, I own multiple pens:
1) Apparently, typing on a keyboard, your brain does not understand that you're typing words. It could be a table or potatoes.  So yeahhhh sharpies and a whiteboard - I still get looks at work when doing my doodles.

2) Also, it seems that there's been this huge spike in ADD of 300% in the last decade - cell phones, pictures, messages..... except... it's NOT actual ADD.... but the drug companies are happy. :D

But maybe.... just maybe.... if everything is digital, doesn't that make us just want more? Because.... you can't hug digital right? FYI I'm not advocating hugging a pile of games. lol But... maybe.... it's an anchor. A psychological anchor. I hired a youngun' [The Wire flashed in my head for but a moment] at work and he couldn't not use his phone.... he felt a part of him was missing when I locked it in my drawer for an afternoon.

I'm sure sociologists are having a ball.... I hope they have good punch on tap. :) Yes... mmm mmmmm!

Cheers,

And I don't think it's necessarily a generational gap thing either with tech.  Like, I'm in my 30s so I'm a little longer to "catch up with the times" than a teenager who's grown up indoctrinated.  That being said, I'm seeing the light and embracing it.  But I see enough folks in their 20s going "tech backlash" actively doing things like rejecting Facebook and all that stuff and thinking back to their childhoods when "social networking" was riding your bike to a buddy's house, knocking on the door, and asking if he could come out and play. 

I posted this on my Facebook not too long ago.

Is it just me or am I seeing more and more younger folks go kinda anti-tech? Like whenever one of my twenty-something coworkers is out with friends, his first order of business is "everyone hand over your cell phones" and he doesn't return them till the night's done.

And those "old fashioned" dinner-parties and potlucks that our parents used to do, they're showing a resurgence and many hosts keep a basket where everyone deposits their cell phones/media devices and anyone who goes to get their device before the party's over has to fork over $5 or $10.
Even for me, gadget junkie as I am, when I'm at a party or a show, I make a conscious effort to leave my phone in my car. Not just because I don't want it smashed in a moshpit, but because I want to have real interactions.

Normally, tech would seem like a blessing because I'm admittedly not the smoothest conversationalist. I tend to stumble on my words because of my ADD and don't always respond right away because it takes me a little longer to process everything you're saying. I communicate more eloquently through writing. And that's why the fun, spontaneity, challenge, and freshness of face-to-face conversations is important to me these days...

...And I can't hug words.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 11:18:47 PM »
- I go digital for PC games (unless I'm buying used ancient stuff from Half Price Books). Steams not going anywhere, and even if it does implode, if it really comes down to it, you could at least crack it out and still play the games in question.

- I go physical for books, because books don't run out of batteries also I don't have a tablet or smartphone (feature phones need charged twice a month and are harder to break, so nyeh).

- I go physical for for 360 games if I can help it. This isn't because I want physical artifacts but because... well, I don't trust Microsoft to keep their services running, basically. Also I usually have my 360 disconnected from the internet anyway because I got damn tired of being spammed with liquor ads.

- I go physical for older games, unless they're available on something like the VC and considerably cheaper there. I mean yeah, having physical copy of Radiant Silvergun or Ogre Battle 64 would be cool, and I could afford them, but let's at least maintain the illusion that I'm trying to be a responsible adult here.

- I go physical for music. I actually have purchased several albums digitally. I am only aware of two that I could re-download at this point. So yeah.

- I go physical for babies although I don't really like the IT Crowd that much, despite having never seen it, so let's stop this before it gets werid [sic].

- I wish things would go back to normal-sized jewel cases. I have a *ton* of PSX games, and they all fit neatly in like two drawers in my bedroom. Meanwhile my stuff in DVD cases is all over the place.

- I got off Facebook because I had people I needed to remove from my life. Also phishing. Phishing is lame.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 07:55:46 AM »
Physical edition all the way! Collector's edition if available. I detest the concept of my access to a product being at the whims of another individual/company. It may be that it is their best interest to ensure that the product is always available to me, but there is no guarantee that that won't change in the future. For example, I am pretty sure that Sony will pull the plug on PS3 access to PSN someday as at some point it just won't be economically justifiable. At that point, I would be losing access to any games thqat I might have had to delete for space on my PS3's harddrive, and if the system ever died then I would permanently lose access to all digital games and DLC (which is sadly a larger number than I want to admit).

Plus, I like having a large game/manga/dvd collection to show off in my living room (although I need to buy more shelves >.>). I will always buy the physical edition unless there is no physical edition available or the physical edition is out of print and getting a copy is unreasonably expensive (and sometimes I'll do it even then....looking at you Fire Emblem 4 soundtrack).

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 11:27:41 AM »
So, I love that little indie gaming/music stores exist. Visiting them and perusing their shelves has become something of a favorite pastime of mine, so I tend to worry about everything going digital putting those places out of business.   

Case in Point: In the last 6 months, I've found an imported 64 GB Vita memory card, the Japanese PS2 version of Dragon Quest VI, and an original PSX copy of Tales of Destiny II/Eternia, all while just sifting through the back corners of my favorite store, and all for WAY under what I would have had to pay on Ebay.

I like the idea of little niche cottage industries (ie. rare and collectors items) being able to survive despite the best attempts of giant, cash hungry corporations trying to snuff them out. 

All of this is to say that I tend to only buy digital (or non-used for that matter) if, like Ranadiel said, there is no better option available.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 04:22:59 PM »
I'm fine with digital if it's something cheap I plan to play soon. My Steam library is basically a collection of things I paid less than €5 for and I've played around 80% of the games in it. I buy 'trinkets' on the 3DS as well.

However, I'd rather buy physical if:
-It's a bigger game, especially if it's on the Xbox 360 (lack of internet) or Vita (memorycards are so expensive!).
-It's a (comic) book. I just can't get used to reading on a screen, I guess. Also, my office/study (it sounds fancier than it is) is filled with books and I love being able to just grab something, flip through it and maybe sit down on the floor and read it (the floor is surprisingly comfortable).

A few weeks ago my best friend finally brought his girlfriend along (she's real and really nice!) and she got really excited when she saw all my manga. So we just kinda browsed the shelves, squeed over our favourite books and recommended manga to eachother. Can't really do that with digital copies. Well, I guess you could compare lists on tablets or something, but that's boring.

insertnamehere

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 10:48:39 PM »
- I hate facebook/twitter because they're unintuitive and pointless, I have a cell phone but rarely use it as anything but as a watch, and I'm 23
- I buy most games physically if possible, assuming it had a physical release in its original country, and if it's localized digital only, I'll import it
- One of the reasons I like physical things is uniformity in box art:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71stOptb5zL._SL1048_.jpg
http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/3/33688/951303-dds2b_front.jpg
- I don't do PC games physically, just digital because they have such an inconsistent package design depending on the companies behind them
- Similarly anything old that's in a flimsy and/or bulky box like N64, Genesis, GBA, Atari, S/NES, etc is gonna be digital only
- Limited editions maaaaaybe rarely if something about it is intriguing
- I'd probably buy books digitally if I had a kindle or something similar
- It's too bad digital sales not on steam seem to be really rare since publishers are so stingy with their pricing on stuff like PSN
- I only get movies physically right now, but I hope companies will stop putting that ugly "blu-ray+dvd+digital+ultraviolet" thing on the top of boxes
- I also hate digipacks because most movies are released in keep cases but some are only in digipacks so those stick out
- It'd be nice for everything to be in jewel cases to save space, but it's pretty weird that a lot of 1 disc PS1 games were released with big jewel cases as if they had 4 discs (read it was because they sometimes have two manuals even though most of them don't)
- Music would be digital if I had a thing besides a laptop that could play music at work, so I only do that with youtube at home
- I hate that most books are so not-uniformly sized, as in height of the spine like video games are
- This is a clusterfuck

I mostly pop in occasionally to give my two cents on certain controversial things, so if you disagree then send a PM, because I generally don't check for replies in threads in case I feel like replying and then things get heated/derailed.

timmyFd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 06:04:47 AM »
Physical for books and console games.

Digital for movies and PC games.