Author Topic: "Their early stuff was better" discussion

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
Re: "Their early stuff was better" discussion
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2015, 10:03:40 PM »
- I think XTC had a remarkably consistent career. Like, on the one hand, I could say that I don't like Black Sea, The Big Express, Orange and Lemons, or Wasp Star as much as the immediately preceding album. But I still think they're all great albums, so... Also I felt like their penultimate album was their best.

- I don't agree with the sentiment that Guided by Voices quit being good after Under the Bushes, Under the Stars. I'm not all that big on Do the Collapse or Universal Truths and Cycles, but I thought Earthquake Glue and Half-smiles were excellent. Also Mag.

- I'm not really a fan of Square in general. Yeah, they were games I played a lot when I was younger, but they never really stuck with me?

- I think 4X strategy games have advanced a lot. It's hard to go back to something like Civ 2 after playing Paradox's more recent offerings. Like I played Imperialism when it came out on gog, and it's a good game, but like, it doesn't really do anything that hasn't been done better since.

- I don't think a lot of things. The thoughts I have never had are unfamiliar to me.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 11:51:47 AM »
Books
George R.R. Martin's first three books in A Song of Fire and Ice released 1996-2000. Mr. Martin veraciously and passionately wrote the first three books flawlessly (probably thinking 3 and done). Since then he typically takes on average five years before putting the next installment onto shelves and the books have gotten longer. He's become so famous for procrastinating on his books that there have been parodies done by SNL as well as a few articles of theories and charts on why (or when) he'll eventually publish the next book in the series. Or even memes for that matter like this great one, "...every time someone asks when the next book is coming out, I'll kill a Stark." Hah. Some theorize that due to the enormous pressure and attention he's received thanks to the world wide success of the hit HBO show, Game of Thrones that he now struggles to complete the series.

Video Games
Vandal Hearts for me was the first and best SRPGs I've ever played. I thought Vandal Hearts 2 was a downgrade. Visually and the story telling didn't captivate me like the first game. Also a decade or so later a short game was released in 2010 to the Playstation Network and XBOX Live as a prequel, Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment. The gameplay was alright, but I couldn't get over their bobble head characters and the horrible cringe-worthy cut scenes.

Final Fantasy and the good ol' days of their "golden age" in the 90s. I'd write more here, but I know the series current state has been debated heavily here and across other RPG sites.

Music
In Flames. Wow. What happened to these guys? They created the signature Gothenburg Metal sound in the mid 90s then starting about five or so years ago went Alternative Metal. You can def. tell their signature guitar sound went down after Jesper left the band. Also Anders sang more of his songs than his good growl sound... which inadvertently made the songs sound more emo.

Sonata Arctica. One of my first and favorite power metal bands. "Ecliptica" through "Reckoning Night" were great, but then beginning with "Unia" they started veering away from power metal and seemed to be go more mainstream with their success. Around this time their original and lead guitarist, Jani Liimatainen left which I think didn't help matters. Recently with "Pariah's Child"they tried to recapture their power metal magic of the past albums like "Silence," but for me it sort of felt flat. I can accept that after fifteen years of a band you may want to venture into new genres to help the band evolve, but I think sometimes that can be a double edged sword, where you steer too far off course and alienate your core fanbase.

Movies
Terminator series. Loved the first two, but then after that they started rehashing/retelling history than started to convoluted the storyline. The new one coming out this years looks interesting visually (and has the girl who plays Daenerys in Game of Thrones), but I'm not sure where this story, "Genesys" fits in the general Terminator timeline...

Anime
I agree with your guys points on Tomino and the Gundam series. Maybe Tomino changed with the times after decades of animation styles and storytelling evolved over time.

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 06:43:52 PM »
Tomino wasn't even involved in most modern Gundam series. As for G-reco, it certainly doesn't seem to resemble any of the current fads with the medium. It might be bad, but definitely not because it was adapted to suit what the fans want. It's just another weird Tomino anime, that only got a hot topic because it got its name changed into Gundam at some point of the production.

This is not really even a defence to Tomino, I know very well what **** he can make. It's just that I really question if there is actually some kind of significant difference in the style or direction to his past ideals. Things might also be "bad" because they didn't change. I bet people would be chanting praises if he made a gritty-subdued-military-drama-mecha series, with an adult-badass-caucasian-male lead character sporting more quotes than GitS:Innocence and would simply not care even if that went against everything he has done in the past.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 07:12:36 PM »
No, I'd dislike that. Regouista sucks because everyone's an idiot and nothing anybody does makes one iota of sense, even within the context of the series. There's a lot of inconsistancy to the stupidity, too, as well as conflicting tones. While Tomino's shows are weird, they'd ground themselves somewhere, and they'd usually have a lot of attention to small details and made sure everything flowed consistantly within their set universe. But a lot of his stuff stopped working around 1996. I'll admit that Reconguista isn't as outright bad as Brain Powerd, and it's not like I was expecting a return to form, either - all signs seemed to point to Tomino trying to do Overman King Gainer all over again, but this time hopefully better...it wasn't.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 01:26:27 PM »
Not to derail the discussion on "their early stuff was better...," in favor of Gundam, yet I wish there was a website that had every known Gundam anime that you could stream for a subscription service. A high quality streaming service like Netflix that allowed you to listen to dubs in multiple languages and the original Japanese language for those with that preference. No commercials or target ad sponsoring, just straight up Gundam. Trivial information that blended the look and data (and design) management of IMDb, AnimeNewsNetwork and Wiki.

I used to collect all Gundam English dubs on DVD back when Bandai Entertainment was faithfully licensing them like a machine, dubbing them and bringing them here in the states before the anime DVD industry burst about a decade ago.

I guess I could sign up for a premium Crunchy Roll subscription, but when I searched their site all I found was dedicated pages/"channels" with some screenshots, episode titles, year the series ran in Japan... but remarkably no videos. I still have yet to view Gundam UC: Unicorn, but it's crazy expensive on blu-ray going for anywhere between $24-65 USD on Amazon. Sigh...

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 07:21:16 PM »
Just to be contrarian, the Beatles are the exception to the rule.

Their early stuff was pop fluff - the equivalent of boy band fodder.

And they finished with their best album - Abbey Road. (Let It Be was released after but recorded before)
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 08:04:31 PM »
(Let It Be was released after but recorded before)

That's a common misconception. They were recorded simultaneously, but the portal to the dimension where Real Paul was still alive and recorded Let It Be wouldn't open until after the Beatles in our dimension already broke up.
o/` I do not dream o/`

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 08:28:15 PM »
gundam build fighters is infinately better than G in regognista.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2015, 07:07:19 AM »
Movies
Terminator series. Loved the first two, but then after that they started rehashing/retelling history than started to convoluted the storyline. The new one coming out this years looks interesting visually (and has the girl who plays Daenerys in Game of Thrones), but I'm not sure where this story, "Genesys" fits in the general Terminator timeline...
Genesys is an alternate timeline version of the original Terminator movie. Side note, first two Terminator movies were both done by James Cameron while the rest were done by others.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2015, 12:11:25 PM »
Every good thing jumps the shark sometime, right? 

Rare is the phenomenon that becomes better with age like a fine wine. 

But what if there's a case where the early stuff is awful and it cements a negative reputation that you don't even touch the later stuff even if it's good?  I hate to do this, but take a look at the band Hanson.  Yeah, "Mmmbop" was an cringe-worthy infectious pop hit that made us want to stab our ears out like any pop hit these days, and we pointed and laughed as they faded into one-hit-wonder "boy band" obscurity.  But now that they're older/adults and have been making music for almost two decades, I daresay that their later material is actually good.  But they'll never shake off the "Mmmbop" reputation, even though they're adults now (they're in their late 20s/early 30s) and actually perform good adult-alternative music.   

Orson- I'm with you on In Flames and Sonata Arctica.  I did enjoy the Unia album, but anything after that I couldn't get into.  And I do wonder about the future of A Song of Ice and Fire since Martin is not getting any younger and his health is likely deteriorating.  What if he passes away before finishing the series and someone else has to take over, kinda like when Brandon Sanderson finished Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series?  Who would be up to that task?
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

insertnamehere

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2015, 04:31:38 AM »
What do you guys think of the last few seasons of South Park compared to the rest of the seasons?

I mostly pop in occasionally to give my two cents on certain controversial things, so if you disagree then send a PM, because I generally don't check for replies in threads in case I feel like replying and then things get heated/derailed.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2015, 10:03:45 AM »
I feel like Sum 41 gets a bad rep because they started out as a "Me-Too" pop-punk band back when the fad was starting to wane. Their early stuff is just stupid to listen to, tbh. But by Underclass Hero, they really started getting their act together, and Screaming Bloody Murder was phenomenal, and really showed their growth and maturation when compared to their first two albums.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2015, 11:00:08 AM »
BLAISE kcufING PASCAL.

... God remember when XKCD was funny?
o/` I do not dream o/`

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2015, 11:11:25 AM »
I tried reading xkcd, but honestly? It's up there with Penny Arcade where only about 1 in every 4 strips are ever funny, and the rest are either way too full of extremely in-joke material, or are just plain weird. It's just that when it's good, it's really good...

That said, Penny Arcade was at least a bit better between 2002-2006. Then it was 1/3 of the strips that were great, and the weird ones were memorably weird.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 11:13:01 AM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2015, 06:14:07 PM »
What do you guys think of the last few seasons of South Park compared to the rest of the seasons?

Not perfect, but pretty funny and pretty consistent overall.

I think their ability to edit their programs quickly now helps them stay topical, which is to their advantage.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.