Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 08:43:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330160 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Wild Arms Vth Vanguard
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Wild Arms Vth Vanguard  (Read 13315 times)
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2007, 01:42:56 AM »

Kos-Mos: Michico Naruke is a woman :P

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2007, 02:30:32 AM »

Quote from: "Dice"
Well, I was talking more majority.
The point is, I want a lead female role with a gigantic fucking hammer crushing anything that gets in her way... What if?

I liked Raquel and Clive for their deceptive appearances.  Clive was a family-man/geek with a sniper, and Raquel was a sickly ribbon-wearing can of kick-ass.

Kanon and Anastasia were pretty kick ass in WA2, as well.

I actually hadn't heard anything about the music and I'm surprised that Naruke Michiko didn't compose this one.  Still, at least impressions of WA5s music is positive enough.  I should find a few samples to listen to.

The premise sounds interesting enough, and I'm glad they have a girl as the resident gunslinger this time.  I liked Calamity Jane (AC:F) and Virginia (WA3), so hopefully Rebecca is up to snuff.  And Avril with a sword?  Sweet!

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2007, 03:00:44 AM »

actually rebecca kinda looks like virginia gone wild.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2007, 11:24:39 AM »

At the beginning of the game, a hundred years after the landing of the Veruni, Dean Stark and Rebecca Streisand witness the arm of a golem fall from the sky - but this golem's arm clutches a girl in its fist, a girl who has no idea who she is or where she came from.

Wow, an amnesia girl? I wonder if she, just possibly, might be the tool that is needed to defeat the big baddies of the game? Perhaps she also is required to sacrifice herself and die in the process? And maybe, just maybe, the lead male character will fall in love with her?

No wonder I'm beginning to tire of JRPGs - with very few exceptions they're all the same thing over and over again.
Kos-mos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2007, 05:33:21 PM »

Quote from: "TurnBasedDude"
Kos-Mos: Michico Naruke is a woman :P

Ah...thanks for confirming that, I was never sure at various points over the years because of some random game review I once read :)  I should have gone by what's in the soundtrack reviews :)

Quote from: "Alisha"
actually rebecca kinda looks like virginia gone wild.

Yeah, probably why she's my early favorite, she's even the Virginia like gunslinger which rocks.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2007, 05:45:49 PM »

Quote from: Cauton

No wonder I'm beginning to tire of JRPGs - with very few exceptions they're all the same thing over and over again.

Fantastic point, I love you right now.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2007, 05:52:50 PM »

Quote from: "Cauton"
Perhaps she also is required to sacrifice herself and die in the process?

Who are you kidding, practically no one whose playable dies in JRPGs anymore. Though a certain one has enough rampant PC slaughter to make up for the whole genre, I swear.

Edit: And if they DO die, they just go and pull a Grandia.
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2007, 02:16:08 AM »

Wow, an amnesia girl? I wonder if she, just possibly, might be the tool that is needed to defeat the big baddies of the game? Perhaps she also is required to sacrifice herself and die in the process? And maybe, just maybe, the lead male character will fall in love with her?

You're forgetting something: the other girl has feelings for the main character as well, but he's too dense/hopelessly in lust with amnesia girl.  Thus, the obligatory "love triangle".  This is, of course, speculation.

I'm honestly hoping this doesn't happen in the game.  I mean, Skies of Arcadia managed to have a main male with two main females without much of the typical romantic angst, if any at all.  If there were feelings that went beyond platonic, they certainly weren't explored in the game's plot.  Then again, I'm talking about the Dreamcast version.  I'm not sure if anything was changed for the port to the Gamecube.

I like a romantic subplot and all, but the Wild Arms games very rarely lets said subplot take center stage.  And the ones that do make some kind of fucking sense to either the plot or character development, not just thrown in to justify having a happy ending.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2007, 03:54:45 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Perhaps she also is required to sacrifice herself and die in the process?

Who are you kidding, practically no one whose playable dies in JRPGs anymore. Though a certain one has enough rampant PC slaughter to make up for the whole genre, I swear.

Edit: And if they DO die, they just go and pull a Grandia.

No, of course she won't die. The male lead and his band of brave adventurers will find a way defeat the angelic end boss without sacrificing the girl. But there will be much angst and melodrama in the process, and many instances of characters uttering each others' names with ellipses at the end.

Either that, or she will in fact die only to be resurrected just before the end credits because she has the power to change the world with her wish.

For any fans of Wild Arms V - I'm not saying this game won't be any good. I'm sure it will. It's just when I read that story outline on RPGFan's main page I was reminded of why I haven't bought and enjoyed a RPG (with the exception of Final Fantasy XII) in ages.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2007, 03:58:49 AM »

Either that, or she will in fact die only to be resurrected just before the end credits because she has the power to change the world with her wish.

That's a Grandia. Well, the wish thing isn't necessary.
Tlonuqbar

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2007, 09:50:13 PM »

LOL, the most ridiculous 'Grandia' I've seen recently is...well, for spoiler's sake I won't mention the name of the game or characters, but anyone who has beat it will know what I am talking about.

Hero and his faithful female companion defeat the last boss: "Yay, we win!"

Then, female companion says: "I don't feel so good."

Having recently recovered from an injury, but having received none since then, female companion abruptly (I would add: 'arbitrarily') dies.

Now, if you have completed the requirements for the best ending, the female companion's spirit appears at this point, the hero dashes after her, somehow entering the realm of the dead.  He there meets his dead family, as well as the enemies that have died in the course of the game.  His family hugs him, while his enemies smile and salute him as if to say: "You da man!"  Then the recently (VERY recently) deceased female companion is resurrected and says: "I'm just fine!"  Then someone appears to say: "That is the true power of [critical magical object X]. You have unleashed it's potential for good."  

This...this is the most implausably laughable use of a Grandia I have ever seen.

Kind of a pity, considering that the rest of the ending...and even the rest of the game's plot itself was fairly well concieved and likeable.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2007, 09:54:52 PM »

You mind saying what game? Just put it in spoiler tags, I doubt I'll care much for a game that'll pull whatever lame contrivances it can for the happy ending.
Tlonuqbar

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2007, 10:07:08 PM »

Let's just say than instead of pulling a 'Grandia' this game pulls a 'Gremio' (or a 'Nanami' if you prefer).

Code:
Suikoden V

Really a pity because the game's story had a lot of potential...then it throws this attempt at an emotional curveball pretty much at the last possible moment (for no real reason other than to try for a last-ditch 'Aerith effect')...only to resolve it in less than 5 minutes.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2007, 10:20:34 PM »

Oh fuck, it actually IS a game I give a damn about. No matter, I'll just avoid getting the good ending then.
Tlonuqbar

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2007, 10:26:16 PM »

Ah, I wouldn't go that far.  There's some good stuff in the good ending AFTER that part that I wouldn't want you to miss.  Just close your eyes when you kill the last boss and pretend that it isn't happening.  When you hear spoken dialogue again, you can open your eyes and literally NOTHING will have happened or changed from when you closed them!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: