Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 12:40:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327543 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  4# lanruoJ emaG
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32 Print
Author Topic: 4# lanruoJ emaG  (Read 51567 times)
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: January 21, 2007, 11:37:31 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
we call gyros, 'jeye-rohs" wtf is that.

Being Greek and having lived in Greece, and assuming you're talking about the same greek food, they're called "gyros" to begin with. I don't know anyone who pronounces it differently.

[/url]
Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: January 22, 2007, 12:36:11 AM »

The food is more turkish than anything and they pronounce it 'yeer-o". Greek food in America is like, a token name for this bizzare mishmash of vague culinary items that actually have assorted mediterranean, turkish, and arabic roots.

Calling them jeye-rohs is just another kick in the side for us involved in the glorious struggle of my people to reclaim the ownership of our kebab'ish foodstuffs.

edit: gyro is serious business. http://linguistlist.org/issues/6/6-1641.html
lols
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: January 22, 2007, 09:32:27 AM »

FFXII -
I am now supposed to be crossing the Sandsea to find some tomb.
I've really had very few issues with much of anything in the game so far. I don't mind Van at all, really. Sure, he's done a few stupid things, but I just see all that as a preface to the real story.
Frans voice does not bother me. It might if she wasn't some weird "bunny-thing", but because she IS, I cannot presume as to what they SHOULD sound like.
Ashes voice is the one I'm most surprised by. I was expecting something more whiny or "girly", but she has a deeper, more "world-wise" woman voice. Good call on that one.
Balthier is too cool.
Baschs appearance is for obvious story reasons. I don't see the issue there.
My biggest problem is deciding who to make my "main three", although I plan on leveling everyone up evenly.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: January 22, 2007, 09:45:02 AM »

Takezo- points well taken.  We'll just agree to disagree I guess.  

But, yeah, game scope is one reason I really enjoy visual novels- the scope is a lot tighter and the stories are driven more by characters than epic bombast.  

That and the time commitment is much less (the longest visual novels are around 20 hours for one playthrough.)  

Persona is an anomaly among RPGs in that the scope is not an epic "save the world" thing, because the game pretty much takes place in one city and is more about saving your friend from herself.  But those games are still really long.  

FF12 is a great game and like any FF has its elements that cause contention among gamers.  I like it a lot, but I don't play it that often and it doesn't bother me.

'sides, I should be getting Hotel Dusk this week and that will be my main focus.  I have high hopes for that one.

I approve of this nonsense!
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: January 22, 2007, 11:54:37 AM »

PWAA:JFA -  I'm going to have to slowly transition out of just saying PW.  Anyways, I'm on case 4.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: January 22, 2007, 11:18:48 PM »

About 2 and half hours into Okami... since classes resumed I haven't had as much time for gaming. I like it lots. Just bloomed some trees and got some item that says I need two more to upgrade my flamey-orby things.

[/url]
Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: January 22, 2007, 11:58:48 PM »

I crawled my way up into the fourth disc of Final Fantasy IX, and only have a few mindless tasks like frog catching and finding Chocobo's Air Garden until I tackle the final area. I'll probably go ahead and finish the game once before I power level my characters enough so that I can beat Ozma. Seeing as though I've never fought him in my past files, I'm expecting a doozy, so I might as well prepare myself.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 24, 2007, 12:05:13 AM »

Beat Phoenix Wright: Justice for All. Pretty good, I wasn't as enthralled as with the first game, and was expecting something different from the fourth cases... But nevertheless, a great installment.
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: January 25, 2007, 01:35:15 AM »

*dazed* So I'm about 86 hours into FF12 and I'm just overwhelmed at how many extra sidequests there are in this game. What's even more surprising is that I don't feel tired of this game yet at all. Anyway, I'm at the very end of the game now and I'm just messing around with all the sidequests. I still have a handful of Hunts left, and I know there are places I have yet to explore. It's been a fabulous game.

Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: January 25, 2007, 08:01:02 PM »

I've been busy with midterms and SAT prep (taking it on Saturday) over the past week or two, so I haven't had much time to game, but when I did I played Zelda and Guitar Hero 2.

In Zelda I just beat the 5th dungeon and started on the 6th. I can say very easily that the 5th dungeon has easily been  my favorite dungeon in the game so far, the reason being that it breaks out of the general Zelda-ish flow that all of the other dungeons have followed so closely (or at least it masks it very well, regardless, it was a very nice change of pace). Minor spoilers for the 5th dungeon:
Code:
What really got me first was the fact that it wasn't really a dungeon so much as it was a mansion. Now, this may seem like a minor detail, but with two of the rooms being inhabited by the owners of the mansion and no boss to be seen on map using the compass (although it was kind of predictable what was going to happen, with the female yeti being the boss), I felt that the flow of the "dungeon" had a very original feeling to it. Also, the fact that the item you get in the dungeon, the ball and chain, doesn't come from a chest but instead from a mini-boss was a nice little surprise, and added to the new flow of the dungeon. While I get the feeling that the subsequent dungeons are going to be rather standard Zelda affairs, I really applaud Nintendo for going a bit outside the box with this "dungeon".

As for GH2, I've gotten into a general routine regarding the songs I enjoy playing. My best and favorite song is probably "Sweet Child Of Mine", and I've gotten that to about 95% with 210,000 points on Expert.

Three more quick things: 1) I just got my Burning Crusade CE in the mail but I have yet to open it and start playing again, 2) all Xbox 360 owners should check out the Crackdown demo on the Live Marketplace. I've been having a lot of fun just pumping up my agility stats and jumping around the city. And 3) I reinstalled Guild Wars the other day to see if I'd enjoy playing it again, and lo and behold, it was a bunch of fun, so I ordered the new one (Nightfall).
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: January 25, 2007, 08:40:28 PM »

I'm in the process of downloading 'Crackdown' right now.  I'm glad that i've been hearing positive things about it because I want to get it just for the Halo 3 beta key. Besides messing around with some hunts and Esper quests in FFXIII (95 hours), I've been online with "Gears of War" a lot the past few nights with mixed results...need more sniper practice:P

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 25, 2007, 11:05:21 PM »

Honestly, I found Crackdown a bit boring. Maybe the full game is better, and maybe I'd enjoy it /much/ more if I leveled up driving enough, as that was what really bugged me. Nevertheless, it's done some neat things with the GTA formula, and I really like the graphics.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: January 25, 2007, 11:41:34 PM »

Crackdown demo > any GTA, ever, as far as I'm concerned.

It was just a ton of fun. Glad I reserved it.

Finally finished GoW co-op on Insane after a month long hiatus. Fun game, but I'm a little pissed that the mine cart section on chapter 3 doesn't load on my disc >.<

And superflat, TP might not reach that level of originality again, but the other dungeons are definitely "new" as far as the Zelda formula is concerned.

[/url]
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: January 26, 2007, 12:16:58 AM »

I don't know that I'd agree that the Crackdown Demo is better than any GTA ever, but it sure is a lot of fun. My only real problem with the game (especially in comparison to GTA) is that the entire premise of the game, the whole taking down gangs part, seems like it could have been a few mission-chains in GTA. Crackdown just doesn't seem to have the same level of depth as San Andreas had; granted, it is just a demo and skill progression is ridiculously fast (which is good for the demo, although I think in the real game the first hour or so could be kinda boring without being all super powered), but GTA just had more of a pull compared to the demo. I will say, though, that I had loads of fun playing the demo and even with all of my gripes with the game, I will probably buy it as a jump-around-the-city simulator. Worst comes to worst, there's always the Halo 3 Beta.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: January 26, 2007, 01:08:13 AM »

I just thought it was brilliant fun; GTA has its intended audience, but those games never appealed to me. The whole "sandbox" genre never really did, and I wasn't expecting much from Crackdown, either. But the demo bodes well for the final product. Jumping 20+ feet in the air and throwing grenades with a 30-foot blast radius is just plain fun.

[/url]
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: