Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 06:37:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319682 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  4# lanruoJ emaG
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 32 Print
Author Topic: 4# lanruoJ emaG  (Read 50622 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: March 06, 2007, 07:05:01 PM »

Beat Resistance on my brother's PS3. As usual, Insomniac puts out fantastic games. Too bad there's nothing that grabs my attention that's exclusive coming out before MGS4. :P
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #376 on: March 06, 2007, 09:26:49 PM »

Baldur's Gate 2 still kicks some major fucking ass, even after all these years.  I'm doing it up with a wild mage this time; when I played through Throne of Bhaal, I did so with my old monk I used in the main game, so I never gave wild magery a fair shake.  It's pretty cool, but I can see the random aspects of it getting old after a few more horrific, spectacularly destructive spell failures.

The damn game hates me, though.  I triggered Jaheria's curse as I was in the middle of Jan's "save the child" quest.  I'm under a time limit to do that quest while one of my main characters is getting weaker all the time.  That ain't good. :P

Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #377 on: March 06, 2007, 10:12:39 PM »

I acquired Fallout 2 and Planescape: Torment recently and played a little bit of both. One problem I have with both (which I have had with many older games, but isn't really a problem) is the fact that there is very little hand holding, for lack of a better word. Sure, maybe it's just me sucking at the games, maybe it's my youngerness and being used to games like WoW which are meant to be user friendly, but I am more than a bit overwhelmed by the older gameplay systems which don't give you an easy way to organize what you're doing, that don't hold your hand every step of the way, that don't allow you to change the camera angle, and etc.

I'm not going to deny that they are good games, but when there's so much to offer and so little guidance for my puny mind, it becomes very easy to be overwhelmed and not appreciate what the game has to offer.

I apologize if the above made very little sense; I'm a bit out of it at the moment and am having a bit of trouble getting my thoughts together in a cohesive statement.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 06, 2007, 10:15:21 PM »

Quote from: "superflat"
Sure, maybe it's just me sucking at the games, maybe it's my youngerness and being used to games like WoW which are meant to be user friendly, but I am more than a bit overwhelmed by the older gameplay systems which don't give you an easy way to organize what you're doing, that don't hold your hand every step of the way, that don't allow you to change the camera angle, and etc.

What
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: March 06, 2007, 11:25:08 PM »

I've now gotten all the endings in Yo-Jin-Bo and unlocked the extra, which turned out to be
Code:
an extra scenario that's meant to be funny/amusing.  It was funny/amusing, but I cannot help but feel a LOT more could have been done with it.  

I don't think I've unlocked all the music yet, though.  Given that the game's developer TwoFive is a sound company, the sound is easily the best part about the game.  

My favorite endings are still Yo's good ending and Mon-Mon's bad ending.  

If I have the time, I should replay Phantom of Inferno and Hourglass of Summer to get different paths and endings.

I approve of this nonsense!
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #380 on: March 06, 2007, 11:51:55 PM »

Camera control thing thing is more of a pet peeve. I just played a bit more Fallout 2 and I get the feeling I was just ranting because of the mood I was in. I think I'll post something else tomorrow when I have my head on straight.
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #381 on: March 07, 2007, 12:46:08 AM »

Finished Rogue Galaxy.  Although it's mentioned in the RPGFan Review, I didn't realize how cool the last boss would end up being.  In typical level 5 tradition (atleast as far as Dark Cloud 1 & 2 go) you have to use all of the characters at one point or another.  Made it feel pretty epic, on top of the fact that you can get killed in a split second if you're not careful, made for a good challenge.

I'm also quite impressed with the cel shading aspect of Rogue Galaxy.  Most of the environments look very nice and the FMV's are absolutely amazing.  My complaints of horrible dialogue and lack of character development are both solved toward the end of the game.  Although I'd rather character development be something throughout the game, rather then stuffed into the last half of the game.  Oh well, definitely a solid RPG.  Tons of gameplay and sidequests, if that's your kind of thing.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 07, 2007, 08:04:05 PM »

Quote from: "superflat"
Camera control thing thing is more of a pet peeve. I just played a bit more Fallout 2 and I get the feeling I was just ranting because of the mood I was in. I think I'll post something else tomorrow when I have my head on straight.

That just seems like an utterly ridiculous thing to nitpick about a 2D game. It's like expecting to see fish flying around or dogs and cats to talk with you. Eh, whatever, you essentially said you were just ranting at random anyway, heh.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #383 on: March 08, 2007, 11:43:43 AM »

FFXII -  No plot progression for me last night.  I just hunted some marks.  I defeated the big blob that likes girls in the waterway last night.  I also knocked off Marilith,  Blood Wing and Trickster.

Currently Playing:  Fate/Extra, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Thief
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #384 on: March 08, 2007, 12:59:14 PM »

Quote from: "CluelessWonder"
FFXII -  No plot progression for me last night.  I just hunted some marks.  I defeated the big blob that likes girls in the waterway last night.  I also knocked off Marilith,  Blood Wing and Trickster.

CW, what level are your characters? And what rank are the monsters your fighting? I know Trickster is rank V.
I ask because I am just now starting to fight the rank III hunts. I beat the Ring Wyrm last night. It put a pretty good fight , and seemed to have a lot of HP. No one died, though. My characters are all around lvl 30 now. I am debating wether I should pursure more rank III hunts or continue on with the story.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #385 on: March 08, 2007, 02:14:38 PM »

I'm at about 40/41 with my characters.  Trickster was a tough fight but Blood-Wing and Marilith were easy.  In fact Balthier bascially took Blood-Wing by himself since I had the other two killing those damn spectres and skeletons that kept popping up.  I've found that the Rank number isn't always indicative of the difficulty of the fight.  I've killed some V's with ease and had some IV's give me the old beat down.  Bascially I just attempt the ones that are a rank above one I have beaten and I just see how it goes.  If you beat some of the higher ranking marks earlier like I did, you can get some good weapons that won't be available until later in the game.

Hmm, so you are rank III.  I beat Gil Snapper when I was in the high 20s, but it was so difficult.  I had to use several phoenix downs and I had a "guest" fighting with me.  Basically if I have a "guest"  I try to take advantage of it and do as many marks as possible.  Of course I heard the "guest" takes some of your experience, but I run everywhere so I'm always racking up some experience.

Currently Reading: 

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #386 on: March 08, 2007, 09:30:17 PM »

Christ, Tenchu 2 has HORRIBLE controls.  I was gonna get my stabbity ninja fix with that, but I had to go with Wrath of Heaven instead.  I got to that really stupid stage using Ayame, the one with all the goofy looking undead all over the place.

Of course, the main goal is to kill time until tomorrow afternoon, when my new video card arrives and I can finally play Oblivion. \m/

CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #387 on: March 09, 2007, 11:37:29 AM »

FFXII -  Took out Vyrall and Antillion.  Currently I'm running around Feywood.

Currently Reading: 

Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #388 on: March 10, 2007, 03:33:38 AM »

Beat Shadow Hearts today.
Not nearly as enjoyable as I thought it would be, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. I'm happy that I've finished up all of the games in the series, and that I can go into my second play through of Covenant with a little more knowledge than I had when I first gave it a whirl.

I'll be starting Ar Tonelico tomorrow.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #389 on: March 10, 2007, 04:45:40 AM »

Finished Zelda TP with all hearts, all Poe Souls, and all bugs found.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 32 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: