Author Topic: The tri-Ace General Discussion (& Star Ocean 5) Thread

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: Star Ocean 5
« Reply #120 on: April 19, 2015, 06:28:13 PM »
Hey look I made a thing:

Still anime like crazy, but with less....bizarre proportioning and 'alien' features.
I widened the head for one (it's pretty narrow against the big eyes otherwise), made the eyes a little smaller and less round, added a small nose so she doesn't look like a thumb, and made her less :o faced.
Dedicated to Agent D. :P

EDIT: Yeah I know not everyone will like it... THE NOSE and NOSTRILS may bother some anime fans, and I can't hold that against them at all, because I get it. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 07:07:13 PM by Dice »
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2015, 07:31:00 PM »
Someone send that to Tr-Ace.  That's a vast improvement. 
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 19, 2015, 07:34:45 PM »
^Dice, I don't know how to say this, but...now I don't think I can look at the original design anymore. Could you please send that to Tri-Aces? If there's even the slightest chance in hell that they'll take half those suggestions, I think it'd do a world of good.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2015, 10:05:06 PM »
While I do like Dice's better, I still can't help but wonder if that's not what she'd looks like with a different expression anyway. I honestly think the nose especially is a simple matter of Tri-ace going for softer lines combined with poor scan-of-a-scan quality.

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2015, 11:12:05 PM »
The character is just heavily anime styled. I doubt fans in japan have any issue with her character. Though I must admit I do like Dice version more, nice work.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2015, 11:30:42 PM »
@Dice: Hmm... no. No, that's not good. I like this one better but... I don't know. SO5 has the weirdest screenshots I've ever seen.

The environments look like a Skyrim mod and the transition the character designs have from 2D to 3D seems uneven (by that I mean sometimes it looks good, others not so much). And as a fan of Akiman's art that's disappointing.

Hope it looks better once everything is done because I can tell there's lots of work to do.

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2015, 11:40:50 PM »
@Dice: Hmm... no. No, that's not good. I like this one better but... I don't know. SO5 has the weirdest screenshots I've ever seen.

Yeah, I like that more straightforward approach (my edit was me injecting 'my style' into it too though *shrug*).  Still, I wish the 3D jived more with the official artwork they released.

Also, I totally sympathize with those who don't feel 'right' about the character art.... tri-Ace is trying too hard meshing realism and anime and it's just coming out...odd (as opposed to the Tales series which just kind of succeeds at simply trying to look like anime).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 11:50:11 PM by Dice »

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 20, 2015, 12:33:27 AM »
Hey look I made a thing:

Still anime like crazy, but with less....bizarre proportioning and 'alien' features.
I widened the head for one (it's pretty narrow against the big eyes otherwise), made the eyes a little smaller and less round, added a small nose so she doesn't look like a thumb, and made her less :o faced.
Dedicated to Agent D. :P

EDIT: Yeah I know not everyone will like it... THE NOSE and NOSTRILS may bother some anime fans, and I can't hold that against them at all, because I get it. 

You missed those dog-like ear cover things.

Anyways, Gematsu posted some higher quality screenies here. One thing I've noticed now is that Checkers has wings and a tail.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

lavarock

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 20, 2015, 03:09:51 AM »
Good job dice.. It's wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better.

I have to admit.  I love the series and will definitely pre-order this one.  The girl's nose is turning me off big time.  All the other pictures are gorgeous though, the HD towns, the main guy looks cliche but pretty decent, but the girl...

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 20, 2015, 08:11:56 AM »
Anyways, Gematsu posted some higher quality screenies here. One thing I've noticed now is that Checkers has wings and a tail.

Well, clothing it seems, not her having wings and tail.
That and pompoms on her wrists.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 20, 2015, 08:19:53 AM »
Oh God, what have you done!? Not only does it appear she shouldn't be in charge of her own wardrobe, but her own makeup either.

Anyone else notice that all these screenshots seem to be from a very small portion of the game? Something tells me all they're really working on right now is having a playable demo ready for E3 or TGS. Some kind of "save the town" mission that ends with the quartet on a spaceship, hence that "Where are we!?" group shot.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 20, 2015, 09:56:47 AM »

She also has ears on her hat (with piercings and everything lol).

If these two are any indication, SOV has managed to recapture the essence of SOIV's creepy Japanese fetish waifu brigade (versus SOIII's less fetish-ish female cast (then again, I'm kinda running on a blank as to what major creepy waifu cliches are left given just how many Miki and Checkers manage to encompass on their own, probably a loli and a maid), way to go team that wanted to revisit SOIII).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 20, 2015, 12:54:51 PM »
I'm still waiting/hoping for more characters. I mean, you'd need some high-tech people in the group for this to be Star Ocean.
With the current trend, I'm expecting 7-8 characters.

SO1 13/14
SO2 12/13
SO3 10
SO4 9

That leaves plenty of room for a loli.

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 20, 2015, 01:57:50 PM »

If these two are any indication, SOV has managed to recapture the essence of SOIV's creepy Japanese fetish waifu brigade (versus SOIII's less fetish-ish female cast (then again, I'm kinda running on a blank as to what major creepy waifu cliches are left given just how many Miki and Checkers manage to encompass on their own, probably a loli and a maid), way to go team that wanted to revisit SOIII).

Yeah I think green witch represents everything I hate about Japanese character design... On the other hand, other tri-Ace titles fare much better, but so far this is a bit of a swing and a miss for SO5.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 20, 2015, 02:02:06 PM »

Yeah I think green witch represents everything I hate about Japanese character design... On the other hand, other tri-Ace titles fare much better, but so far this is a bit of a swing and a miss for SO5.

She's a far better example of "over-designing" than any of the spiky-armor dudes with oversized shoulder pads from Western developers.