Author Topic: The tri-Ace General Discussion (& Star Ocean 5) Thread  (Read 232663 times)

bigdeath

• View Profile
Re: Star Ocean 5
« Reply #135 on: April 20, 2015, 02:15:56 PM »
What the kind of outfit is that? Do they have cosplay in this universe?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 09:15:39 PM by bigdeath »

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 20, 2015, 02:25:55 PM »
When are companies gonna realize we just wanna make out our own heroes and heroines. I mean not even the full facial and physical qualities, but just their looks. Customizable outfits and gear always is a huge upsell for me. Yeah, granted, many guys will just make the females bikini clad or nude if possible, but hey...options rock.

TASTY!

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #137 on: April 20, 2015, 03:08:09 PM »
Anyways, Gematsu posted some higher quality screenies here. One thing I've noticed now is that Checkers has wings and a tail.

Well, clothing it seems, not her having wings and tail.
That and pompoms on her wrists.

She also has ears on her hat (with piercings and everything lol).

If these two are any indication, SOV has managed to recapture the essence of SOIV's creepy Japanese fetish waifu brigade (versus SOIII's less fetish-ish female cast (then again, I'm kinda running on a blank as to what major creepy waifu cliches are left given just how many Miki and Checkers manage to encompass on their own, probably a loli and a maid), way to go team that wanted to revisit SOIII).

Yeah I think green witch represents everything I hate about Japanese character design... On the other hand, other tri-Ace titles fare much better, but so far this is a bit of a swing and a miss for SO5.

She's a far better example of "over-designing" than any of the spiky-armor dudes with oversized shoulder pads from Western developers.

I think i'd prefer the shoulderpads at this rate.  For better or worse, Japanese designs are much more creative, but that girl looks stupid as hell.  Here's hoping she has a personality beyond sexy talk.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 20, 2015, 03:18:27 PM »
I will say that I unfortunately can't totally hate her since she does have decent taste in headware. Minus the over-accessorizing, of course.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 20, 2015, 03:37:02 PM »
When are companies gonna realize we just wanna make out our own heroes and heroines.

A character creator can be counterproductive in the long run for a tradicional JRPG.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 20, 2015, 10:16:55 PM »
I think he just means we want more outfit options like Xenoblade had. And not DLC...

Or maybe I'm wrong, and I'm too tired to actually read properly...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 20, 2015, 11:04:34 PM »
I think he just means we want more outfit options like Xenoblade had. And not DLC...

Or maybe I'm wrong, and I'm too tired to actually read properly...
At the very least, your dead on. Customizeable outfits and clothing is awesome. Dlc isn't a terrible idea for it either if it means some variety aside from techno jpop jumpsuits or school girl-esque outfits. One of my bigger dislikes for tales games is the guaranteed inclusion of a swimsuit and a school uniform. Seriously, all I want in a character creator is my own choice in clothing.

Some days I just wanna be the big ass hulk dude wearing a fuzzy robe and bunny slippers. Is that too much to ask?

TASTY!

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 20, 2015, 11:42:11 PM »
I was actually sad that Xillia required DLC for swimsuits =(
Talk about killing a tradition.

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 21, 2015, 01:37:17 AM »
At the very least, your dead on.

And you are the one that called me a dick once. Sweet irony. :p

Seriously, all I want in a character creator is my own choice in clothing.

Honestly, I never heard of anybody talking about a "character creator for clothing" and I don't think that's the best way of saying what you want. But yeah I get it. You want to have control of the look of your character.

And either way what I said before can still be applicable since giving the freedom to the player for a character to look or be a certain way could go against the game itself. To a certain extent it doesn't matter how much fun the player is having, devs want the game to be as consistent as possible and every aspect of it, especially for an RPG, has to take that into consideration to make it work.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 21, 2015, 02:10:55 AM »
I was actually sad that Xillia required DLC for swimsuits =(
Talk about killing a tradition.

Don't think of it as a death of one tradition, but the birth of a new tradition.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 21, 2015, 11:58:14 AM »
Honestly, I never heard of anybody talking about a "character creator for clothing"

Which is why you read more than one sentence of a post. Sure, the better term would've been "Character customization" or even "customizable outfits", but the rest of his post made that fairly clear that he was going for that (which I can say for certain now that I'm awake and lucid).

And I don't agree that it has anything to do with "consistancy". If that was the case, why give them the option to wear different armor at all, when it's not going to look different? That's actually not consistant - the menu says they're wearing chain mail, but the character model still shows a shirt and jacket. If they wanted consistancy, they could simply have the characters use "accessories" or "upgrades" or "upgrade slots", where they utilize stat changes without any obvious visual change. Enough games do this that I don't think it'd be all that big a deal, especially if it works with the setting and themes. It could certainly work with Star Ocean, considering the futuristic-ish setting.

Or you could just offer the option to have different outfits and have it consistantly change the look of the character. It'd give some extra incentive for the player to try different equipment, and they wouldn't have to be forced to look at one design the majority of the game. That makes sense. People change their clothes, why would they just keep the same look for god knows how long? Especially if they're supposed to look "fashionable", and especially if the game is telling you they're changing their gear. If the developer doesn't want the kick-ass valkyrie-bitch beating up people in a tutu? Don't give them the option to put her in a tutu - make the equipment character or class specific. Plenty of games do that already, it's not a big deal. In fact, character-centric makes the most sense, because why would a chain mail I found in a dungeon fit both the huge bruiser guy and the skinny hero guy? It makes more sense to have some sort of equipment limit, because it works both stylistically and gameplay-wise, as it acts as a balance mechanism and makes every character unique. It does come with certain problems for the player if equipment isn't spaced out right, but I see no reason why a developer shouldn't balance that out, especially when it's a common aspect of RPGs, anyways.

...I'm beginning to ramble a bit, so I'll wrap this up quick: The only practical reason why more games don't offer character customization is that it would require more effort during development. It's not even that it would be hard, but modeling and testing every single animation with every single piece of equipment would be long and tedious, and could potentially lengthen development time unless the amount of equipment wasn't too huge. Considering the size of modern RPGs, though, having a small amount of equipment, even per-character equipment, just wouldn't cut it. It wouldn't negatively impact the player's experience at all to have the option to dress your characters differently, but it would be a problem if it contributed to a rushed or glitchy game.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 21, 2015, 02:18:44 PM »
Which is why you read more than one sentence of a post. Sure, the better term would've been "Character customization" or even "customizable outfits", but the rest of his post made that fairly clear that he was going for that (which I can say for certain now that I'm awake and lucid).

Alright then.

---

I do agree with various points that you make, but regardless my mentality on this is more relate to design rather than the idiosyncrasies of the genre. Hope I'm being clear by saying that but you know what they say about arguments and counterarguments.

timmyFd

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 21, 2015, 02:45:31 PM »
Hey look I made a thing:

Still anime like crazy, but with less....bizarre proportioning and 'alien' features.

That is superior in every way. Please send it to them!!

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 21, 2015, 03:16:40 PM »
Honestly, I never heard of anybody talking about a "character creator for clothing"

And I don't agree that it has anything to do with "consistancy". If that was the case, why give them the option to wear different armor at all, when it's not going to look different? That's actually not consistant - the menu says they're wearing chain mail, but the character model still shows a shirt and jacket. If they wanted consistancy, they could simply have the characters use "accessories" or "upgrades" or "upgrade slots", where they utilize stat changes without any obvious visual change. Enough games do this that I don't think it'd be all that big a deal, especially if it works with the setting and themes. It could certainly work with Star Ocean, considering the futuristic-ish setting.

Or you could just offer the option to have different outfits and have it consistantly change the look of the character. It'd give some extra incentive for the player to try different equipment, and they wouldn't have to be forced to look at one design the majority of the game. That makes sense. People change their clothes, why would they just keep the same look for god knows how long? Especially if they're supposed to look "fashionable", and especially if the game is telling you they're changing their gear. If the developer doesn't want the kick-ass valkyrie-bitch beating up people in a tutu? Don't give them the option to put her in a tutu - make the equipment character or class specific. Plenty of games do that already, it's not a big deal. In fact, character-centric makes the most sense, because why would a chain mail I found in a dungeon fit both the huge bruiser guy and the skinny hero guy? It makes more sense to have some sort of equipment limit, because it works both stylistically and gameplay-wise, as it acts as a balance mechanism and makes every character unique. It does come with certain problems for the player if equipment isn't spaced out right, but I see no reason why a developer shouldn't balance that out, especially when it's a common aspect of RPGs, anyways.

...I'm beginning to ramble a bit, so I'll wrap this up quick: The only practical reason why more games don't offer character customization is that it would require more effort during development. It's not even that it would be hard, but modeling and testing every single animation with every single piece of equipment would be long and tedious, and could potentially lengthen development time unless the amount of equipment wasn't too huge. Considering the size of modern RPGs, though, having a small amount of equipment, even per-character equipment, just wouldn't cut it. It wouldn't negatively impact the player's experience at all to have the option to dress your characters differently, but it would be a problem if it contributed to a rushed or glitchy game.

Which is why at the very least, sir, you were dead on with your comment :)

TASTY!

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 21, 2015, 03:59:48 PM »
Anyways, Gematsu posted some higher quality screenies here. One thing I've noticed now is that Checkers has wings and a tail.

Well, clothing it seems, not her having wings and tail.
That and pompoms on her wrists.

That character is atrocious.  Still, you could make her talk like a 3 year old, a healer, terrible at everything and be forced to rescue her 5 times and she still wouldn't be any worse than Lymle/Meracle/Myuria/Sarah/Welch.

The bar in this series is
                                    LOW.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 04:03:15 PM by glassjawsh »

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"