Author Topic: The tri-Ace General Discussion (& Star Ocean 5) Thread

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
Re: Star Ocean 5
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2015, 01:32:31 PM »
That reminds me... I wonder what the sci-fi element is here.  So far this all seems old school planet (are they gonna pull an SO1?).

Well, one of the screenshot shows them inside a spaceship.

EDIT: Apparently, my 4000th post is this wonder:
Maybe when you get her ending, she tells you she keeps up an illusion spell to look older and is like 10 for real.
;)

« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 01:41:18 PM by Annubis »

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2015, 01:35:19 PM »
That reminds me... I wonder what the sci-fi element is here.  So far this all seems old school planet (are they gonna pull an SO1?).

I am so curious about the plot of this game. I mean, Tri Ace was pretty adamant that Star Ocean 4 would be the last game in the series and that Star Ocean 3 was the end of the story. I am definitely getting an SO1 vibe. Specific mention of the one planet it takes place on, revealed characters are all of the same humanoid race, etc.

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2015, 02:02:56 PM »
considering star ocean draws it's inspiration from star trek...in before this game pulls an abrams star trek and retcons the entire series.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2015, 02:25:55 PM »
considering star ocean draws it's inspiration from star trek...in before this game pulls an abrams star trek and retcons the entire series.

Given how SO3 part 2 and SO4 damaged the universe, I seriously wouldn't mind.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2015, 03:31:03 PM »
That reminds me... I wonder what the sci-fi element is here.  So far this all seems old school planet (are they gonna pull an SO1?).

I am so curious about the plot of this game. I mean, Tri Ace was pretty adamant that Star Ocean 4 would be the last game in the series and that Star Ocean 3 was the end of the story. I am definitely getting an SO1 vibe. Specific mention of the one planet it takes place on, revealed characters are all of the same humanoid race, etc.

Gematsu's 8:30 edit to their SO article mentions that the game is set in Space Year 537 which apparently puts it between SOs 2 and 3.

That same edit also mentions that Miki is more of a product of the design team's combined efforts rather than the game's character designer and described her as "cute, lovely, and gluttonous" which probably means that they went for a rounded, slightly pudgy look, but then tried to hide said pudge by making her face out of Playdough. SO yeah, Miki's bizarre character model may simply be a case of the devs taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back. But at least they tried (with the female lead no less).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2015, 04:24:19 PM »
Pudgy has been gaining ground in Japan lately.
I'm starting to wonder if it will become the new fetish eventually.

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2015, 04:44:19 PM »
better than pedo moe blob

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2015, 05:20:48 PM »
Mixed feelings.  As much as I liked the tech demo, I'm glad the game proper keeping more of that brightly colored anime look.  However, I agree that, for my aesthetics, I'd have liked to see them cel-shaded or toon-shaded, or whatever-shaded like in Ni No Kuni rather than "plastic doll."  As for the whole "Star Ocean 3" thing, it sounds as if they're recycling a tired formula that we've all gotten sick of.  I do wonder if Fidel will have his name changed for the US release, since when you say "Fidel" in the US we immediately think "Fidel Castro" and he's a highly controversial figure.  I do question some of the past name changes, though.  Like why was Souffle changed to Peppita?

I do wonder if Integrity and Faithlessness sounds kinda like what we're discussing right now.  Integrity of the series vs. faithlessness that it won't evolve beyond its comfortable formula. 

As for music, I'd rather see someone other than Sakuraba compose, or at least have him share composing duties with someone else, kinda like how Uematsu, Hamauzu, and Nakano triple teamed for FFX.  It would add vitality to the music because, let's face it, Sakuraba farts out so much music that it all sounds boring, generic, and completely unmemorable to me.  Some fresh ears, a fresh perspective, all of that would do wonders for the music.  Sure, we cry when our favorite bands change their sound drastically on their lightning-rod album and we call them sellouts or traitors, but if they kept rehashing the same formula over and over again, we'd call them stale, stuck in a rut, unable to evolve.
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2015, 05:37:32 PM »

As for music, I'd rather see someone other than Sakuraba compose, or at least have him share composing duties with someone else, kinda like how Uematsu, Hamauzu, and Nakano triple teamed for FFX.  It would add vitality to the music because, let's face it, Sakuraba farts out so much music that it all sounds boring, generic, and completely unmemorable to me.  Some fresh ears, a fresh perspective, all of that would do wonders for the music.  Sure, we cry when our favorite bands change their sound drastically on their lightning-rod album and we call them sellouts or traitors, but if they kept rehashing the same formula over and over again, we'd call them stale, stuck in a rut, unable to evolve.

I'm on board with this idea only because Sakuraba really seems to be on a jazz kick lately and I hate jazz.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2015, 05:41:59 PM »
I do wonder if Fidel will have his name changed for the US release, since when you say "Fidel" in the US we immediately think "Fidel Castro" and he's a highly controversial figure.

Isn't Obama thinking of removing Cuba from the terrorist list? Preemptive THX OBAMA!

EDIT:
That and Fidèle is faithful in French (for those who don't speak the language).
Yes, that's right, go read the name of the game again = Mind blown
We got Fayt Linegodded again; just in a different language.

Like why was Souffle changed to Peppita?

I always assumed that they thought the average American didn't know what a "sooflay" is and thus probably would think her name was "sawfull".
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 06:10:37 PM by Annubis »

neogalahad

• View Profile
    • Portfolio - blog
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2015, 05:56:18 PM »
No love for Valkyrie Profile? Was hoping for a new entry, but I'll take another star ocean. Have 4 but still haven't played it since i got my ps3 version. Couldn't stand the voice acting on the 360 version.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2015, 06:10:54 PM »
Pudgy has been gaining ground in Japan lately.
I'm starting to wonder if it will become the new fetish eventually.

"Eventually?" It sort of already is, just not an overly popular one.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2015, 06:33:02 PM »
I do wonder if Fidel will have his name changed for the US release, since when you say "Fidel" in the US we immediately think "Fidel Castro" and he's a highly controversial figure.

Isn't Obama thinking of removing Cuba from the terrorist list? Preemptive THX OBAMA!

EDIT:
That and Fidèle is faithful in French (for those who don't speak the language).
Yes, that's right, go read the name of the game again = Mind blown
We got Fayt Linegodded again; just in a different language.

Like why was Souffle changed to Peppita?

I always assumed that they thought the average American didn't know what a "sooflay" is and thus probably would think her name was "sawfull".

That didn't stop Kid Icarus: Uprising from making a goddamn pun with Souflee.

Still, as long as Zeke here ends up getting his ass kicked by some unwinnable boss fight (you know they're coming), loses his memory, wanders to some other corner of civilization, falls in love with an entirely different girl, gets his ass kicked again, remembers what he's supposed to be doing, then heads back to help the guy who kicked his ass the first time around and his former girlfriend with their impending doom looming over the horizon (in a paper-thin disguise of course, like the some sort of Char clone that he is), then I don't care what kind of foreign puns Squeenix/tri-Ace makes.

I'm on board with this idea only because Sakuraba really seems to be on a jazz kick lately and I hate jazz.

They should replace him with Sawano. :V

Swapping one one-trick pony with another.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2015, 07:52:40 PM »
My vote would be for Bill and Ted to jump in a phone booth and travel in time to the years of 1998~1999 and kidnap Yasunori Mitsuda from his golden age era days of Chrono Cross and Xenogears. ^_^

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2015, 08:47:45 PM »
Miki is more of a product of the design team's combined efforts rather than the game's character designer

Honestly that's something I thought when I first saw the Miki character- "this looks like a character that's the result of a group of people trying to insert elements into a character rather than trying to design a character". When you get multiple people to design a character like that usually they will argue over taking risky design choices and will instead end up with someone that looks generic as possible. They probably had a bunch of people pipe up when the pudgy thing came up and said "she still has to look generically anime-cute or we can't attract the waifu audience", and they would be completely correct. They don't get to have their cake and eat it too- either actually make a pudgy character or just don't bother.