Author Topic: The tri-Ace General Discussion (& Star Ocean 5) Thread  (Read 218731 times)

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: The tri-Ace General Discussion (& Star Ocean 5) Thread
« Reply #870 on: March 27, 2017, 02:32:32 PM »
As someone who loathes internet hyperbole, SO3's "twist" was the worst thing ever.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #871 on: March 27, 2017, 06:18:25 PM »

Heresy. You should play both Valkyrie profile 2 and Resonance of Fate.

The hate for SO 3's "twist" was ridiculous and silly. Theres nothing wrong with it.

I really wanted to like Resonance of Fate. I just really didn't like the battle system. It was kind of weird and I just couldn't get a grasp of it because I'm oldz.

As far as SO3 goes, its just a bad ending and probably dropped it from a 9/10 to an 8/10. But nothing horrible. Its been a long time since I played it but I remember loving how varied the towns were.

I'm ashamed to say I never played either VP game. I did own VP1 but someone on amazon bought it off me for about $135.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: March 27, 2017, 07:40:29 PM »
Yeah, if I'm being honest, I don't think I ever got far enough to even know what twists you gys are talking about. I got a million other reasons to dislike the story on its own, though. Really, I think at the end of the day, SO3's greatest sin (in my eyes), was just being extremely boring while continuously looking like it might get better...and as far as I can tell, it never truly delivered. It was such a massive waste of potential, though now that I have Mass Effect in my life, I don't even care about that anymore.

You do get to run around on a Moonbase for about an hour or two (that's more Sci-Fi than anything SO5 could manage), before you hop out of The Matrix like a reverse of SAO, Log Horizon or *insert popular Japanese LN about cyber-space wish fulfillment here*.

But yeah, SO3 really really wants you to care about this tragic couple getting torn apart/dying from this war of swords and sorcery an-oh wait, the Romulans just showed up and Fayt Liengod Jesus Beamed them into Disk 2 where they get steamrolled by the next level of galactic menace, an Angelic Invasion (although, to be fair, SO1's final boss was Satan, so it really was business as usual within the SO-verse).

Actually, all of SO has this really bad problem of being written like really bad anime/manga where the writer has no clue in regards to an endgame, so they just keep repeating the same situation over and over again while over escalating the situation to a stupid degree. I.E., the Japanese Highschool Protagonist and 'his buddies' start off fighting local bullies, who then join the Protagonist as he and 'his buddies' now face the Dragon Emperor and his famous lieutenants, who are defeated and befriended just in time for the battle versus time traveling messengers from God, who get punked just in time for their boss to be defeated by the Demon Lord who burns the planet down to the ground, and now the Protagonist, his one buddy that's been through it all, a couple of early villains turned crutch dudes/the Worf, and maybe the female love interest if she wasn't grabbed by the wrist, chained up, stripped naked, turned to stone, suffering from some disease, told to wait in the kitchen with the kids or suffering from some other kind of crippling debilitation first; must travel through Time & Space to the Crystal Palace of Heaven, to battle the Dinosaur Emperor who turns out to be an alternate version of the Protagonist's Father.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: March 28, 2017, 11:55:48 AM »
SO1's final boss was Satan

There goes another JRPG off my list.  Sometimes I wonder if I should just save myself and stop reading about these games...
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #874 on: March 28, 2017, 06:20:13 PM »

There goes another JRPG off my list.  Sometimes I wonder if I should just save myself and stop reading about these games...
Not sure what Aeolus is talking about. SO1's final boss is named Jie Revorse. There is an earlier antagonist named Asmodues, but he's not literally the demon Asmodeus (just named after him by the game creators) despite living in the Demon Realm (which should probably be called the monster realm since they are not literally demons as I recall).

The game with Satan (well Satanail) as the final boss is The Last Hope. :p

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #875 on: March 28, 2017, 07:47:01 PM »

Not sure what Aeolus is talking about. SO1's final boss is named Jie Revorse. There is an earlier antagonist named Asmodues, but he's not literally the demon Asmodeus (just named after him by the game creators) despite living in the Demon Realm (which should probably be called the monster realm since they are not literally demons as I recall).

Riiiight. Next you're gonna tell me that the Lance of Longinus isn't the size of a building and used by a living mecha to slay an angel.

But yeah, I meant Asmodeus (who I forgot was not the final boss due to not being bishie enough). Also, thanks for reminding me of SO4's retarded final boss. What a fucking twat.

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #876 on: March 29, 2017, 03:18:44 AM »
Also, thanks for reminding me of SO4's retarded final boss. What a fucking twat.

Oh lord. I can't even believe I mustered the patience to get to him.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: March 29, 2017, 09:32:52 AM »

Well, there goes another JRPG off the list...

JK, Rana-chan, thanks for your support. :P

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #878 on: March 29, 2017, 05:10:41 PM »

To be fair, if I got The Last Hope off your list, I would be doing you a favor. :p

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: March 30, 2017, 10:54:38 AM »

To be fair, if I got The Last Hope off your list, I would be doing you a favor. :p

B-b-b-but... the battle system...

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: April 01, 2017, 12:42:36 AM »
Yeah, no joke, Star Ocean: The Last Hope's battle system is worth it alone, IMHO. Granted, I also never expected to take the story and characters seriously, and it kind of comes off as a cheesy B-movie at times, so I just have fun with it even at the worst of times. I guess perspective can make a difference there. Still, if it wasn't fun to play, I might be singing a different tune (probably more like the one I sang for Star Ocean 3). Just saying, if you're considering playing it, that really is something to look forward to.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: April 01, 2017, 08:59:56 AM »
The Last Hope's two biggest sins for me were the terrible writing (as [member=2584]Mickeymac92[/member] said, the characters themselves could be regarded as harmless, cheesy anime tropes if not for the absolute garbage writing), and the dungeons and other environments being ENDLESS snorefests to explore.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: April 01, 2017, 11:16:01 AM »
Nah, I meant the story itself. Then again, I don't really understand how The Last Hope can be considered to have garbage writing, when the rest of the franchise isn't much better. I mean, I'm not saying it's good, but if I stopped playing an RPG because of its writing, I would've given up on the genre a long time ago. The only difference to me between Till the End of Time and The Last Hope in terms of story enjoyment was just the characters and the cheesiness that was helped by the improvements in facial animation and expression. Till the End of Time was lifeless and boring even in a lot of its cutscenes, IIRC.

You're right that exploring was pretty dull, though, and none of the dungeons stood out in any positive way. They were just excuses to fight monsters and waste your time. Occasionally I'm fine with that, though, but I gotta be in a specific mood for it.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #883 on: April 01, 2017, 12:45:30 PM »
And in other news, http://gematsu.com/2017/04/star-ocean-valkyrie-profile-producer-yoshinori-yamagishi-leaves-square-enix

Not surprising given how he had been shuffled off to Squeenix's Mobile gulag.

http://gematsu.com/2017/04/final-fantasy-xii-xiii-xv-art-director-isamu-kamikokuryo-leaves-square-enix

Aughts/Tens FF Art Director is joining him as well, which isn't surprising given FFXV's release ending his decade long commitment to the same two projects.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: June 21, 2017, 02:44:31 AM »
And in other news, http://gematsu.com/2017/04/star-ocean-valkyrie-profile-producer-yoshinori-yamagishi-leaves-square-enix

Not surprising given how he had been shuffled off to Squeenix's Mobile gulag.

http://gematsu.com/2017/04/final-fantasy-xii-xiii-xv-art-director-isamu-kamikokuryo-leaves-square-enix

Aughts/Tens FF Art Director is joining him as well, which isn't surprising given FFXV's release ending his decade long commitment to the same two projects.

Does that mean Anatomia is dead? That would be kinda tragic...

To be honest though, I feel like Star Ocean 4 and VP2 sort of were the capstones of their respective series... it's kinda hard to understand why they went on afterwards.

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.