Author Topic: The tri-Ace General Discussion (& Star Ocean 5) Thread

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
The tri-Ace General Discussion (& Star Ocean 5) Thread
« on: April 14, 2015, 06:27:46 AM »
http://gematsu.com/2015/04/star-ocean-5-announced-for-ps4-ps3

No really guys, it's totally Star Ocean Five. :v

Anyways, deets on the newly announced game courtesy of Famitsu, including MC sword dude and token females. Sadly, MC's name does not top Edge Maverick for most wildly 'Space Mutiny-ish' surrogate name courtesy of Mystery Science Theater 3000.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 11:29:49 PM by Aeolus »
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Hathen

• View Profile
Re: Star Ocean 5
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 06:30:47 AM »
I posted it like 2 minutes faster than you in the gaming news thread
so there

but i'll go ahead and repeat my reaction for those why are feeling lazy, here's everything you need to know:

childhood friend, and loves him like an older brother
A girl who lost both her memories and emotions
uncivilized planet

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 06:35:44 AM »
I posted it like 2 minutes faster than you in the gaming news thread
so there

In my defense, I had just woken up and had to make both a thread and a suitable response to Anime McSwordsdude's lack of awesomely corny name like Fayt Liengod or Edge Maverick.

Unless Camus is a Castro, which would be awesome, for a completely different, but equally amazing, reason.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 06:49:32 AM »
Faith in gaming, restored.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 07:23:02 AM »
Alright, so new update with a bit of an excerpt from the interview says that the producer wants this game to be a lot like Star Ocean 3 (whatever that means). Also apparently they're not thinking of doing any sort of story DLC or "complete version" to be released later.

Guess I'll keep an eye on this game.

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 08:27:39 AM »
so is tri ace involved in this game at all? cause i dont know if i want a star ocean without motoi sakuraba tunes. D:

edit:nevermind actually reading the articile answered my question.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 08:31:09 AM by Alisha »

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 08:33:11 AM »
In my defense, I had just woken up and had to make both a thread and a suitable response to Anime McSwordsdude's lack of awesomely corny name like Fayt Liengod or Edge Maverick.

Maybe localization will fix it ;)

the producer wants this game to be a lot like Star Ocean 3 (whatever that means).

No nappy time.

More seriously, he could mean that the game is about low tech people dealing with high tech invaders/attackers.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 08:38:46 AM by Annubis »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 08:46:11 AM »
I don't know why, but this makes me really happy. Maybe because I've been thinking about Star Ocean a lot lately for various reasons and this announcement is like, hey, Tomara, your thoughts and feelings are still relevant!

As cool as a tech demo-style Star Ocean would have been, I'm kinda glad it's anime stuff. Aside from the Tales seres they don't really make anime stuff at this level anymore. Also, I love how dramatic the producer is being. Yes, stake your life and legacy on this one single game!

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 08:55:47 AM »
"Star Ocean 5 announced by Tri-Aces and Square-Enix! Coming to PS3 and PS4!"

"More like Star Ocean 3! Takes place on an uncivilized planet!"

Don't get me wrong, a lot of the other details actually sound really neat, but those two points definitely leave me apprehensive. I'll keep an eye on it, at least...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 08:57:55 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 09:09:48 AM »
I don't know why, but this makes me really happy. Maybe because I've been thinking about Star Ocean a lot lately for various reasons and this announcement is like, hey, Tomara, your thoughts and feelings are still relevant!

As cool as a tech demo-style Star Ocean would have been, I'm kinda glad it's anime stuff. Aside from the Tales seres they don't really make anime stuff at this level anymore. Also, I love how dramatic the producer is being. Yes, stake your life and legacy on this one single game!

They did that with the last game. It didn't work.

Anyways, http://www.siliconera.com/2015/04/14/star-ocean-5-will-star-ocean-3-vibe/

I'm mostly posting this for the image of Camus and Nyna Miki + Lilia. But yeah, don't know how I feel about this being based more on SO3 (other than the obvious "And now we know why tri-Ace was bought out.") given how much of that was both a product of its time (and how old is The Matrix now) and being more than just a clusterfuck. Then again, Maria Traydor was a hottie (and Nei and Mirage were fairly good looking as well) so more of somebody like them won't go unappreciated (and the character designer looks like the VP one, there might yet be hope).

Edit: apparently the link I posted to at the top of the page got edited and holy crap:

That's some uncanny valley.

And of course there's some "What the Christ!" outfits going on.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:23:08 AM by Aeolus »

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 09:14:54 AM »
Awesome news aside from the PS3 and PS4 thing. I think it's getting to the point that developers need to stop doing this. ESPECIALLY this game, since SO4 did an amazing job of showing off just what the PS3 was capable of. But I'm still waiting for a PS4 game that feels like a next-gen game, and clearly this won't be it.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 09:23:32 AM »
Awesome news aside from the PS3 and PS4 thing. I think it's getting to the point that developers need to stop doing this. ESPECIALLY this game, since SO4 did an amazing job of showing off just what the PS3 was capable of. But I'm still waiting for a PS4 game that feels like a next-gen game, and clearly this won't be it.

Japanese developers won't have a good reason to stop until the PS3 stops being a thing in Japan. Japanese gamers are buying less consoles and everyone is still happily playing on the PS3. Besides, you have to wonder what kind of budget is needed to take advantage of PS4 tech.

DtS Bard

• The Headphone Guy
  • Duck Soup! Duck What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 09:26:02 AM »
I am super excited. I may be in the minority but star ocean 4 was one of my favorite games of last gen. Especially the PS3 version. I put over 300 hours playing it so I can't wait to see what's next.
Des the Spoony Bard

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 09:29:53 AM »

Japanese developers won't have a good reason to stop until the PS3 stops being a thing in Japan. Japanese gamers are buying less consoles and everyone is still happily playing on the PS3. Besides, you have to wonder what kind of budget is needed to take advantage of PS4 tech.

Suppose that makes sense. Still a bit disappointing.

In response to Aeolus' Edit:

I kind of liked that mage outfit until I noticed that 1) it's disturbingly skin-tight and 2) half the diamond pattern appears to be her actual skin. So yeah... WTF indeed.

Also, I'm sorry. I refuse to call the main heroine anything but Sophia 2.0 after seeing that outfit.

EDIT: I know I'm sounding cynical, but I can't stop humming "Star Ocean Forever" to myself, so yeah pretty excited.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:38:55 AM by Klutz64 »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 09:34:18 AM »
At first it was like, yay girls in functional clothing! Then witch girl happened. I guess every Star Ocean needs one of those. Atleast she's not wearing a floating shower curtain, I guess.

(Favourite silly Star Ocean character design is still Albel. I'm pretty sure you can play female armour bingo with that one and win.)