Author Topic: The tri-Ace General Discussion (& Star Ocean 5) Thread

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Star Ocean 5
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2015, 02:22:06 PM »
(going through a full dungeon to get to the Shrine of Kaddan only to face that stupid fucking moving block puzzle is a bag of ass).

Fun fact: That's when I ripped the disc out of my PS2 and sold the game!

MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2015, 01:44:01 AM »
I enjoyed Star Ocean 3 so yeah.......I didn't mind at all the "twist" that seem to upset everyone else.

So yeah, I'm ready and hyped for Star Ocean 5.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2015, 09:52:42 AM »
ttp://www.siliconera.com/2015/04/17/star-ocean-5-details-story-setting/

Not a major update, but there's a little more fleshing out in terms of the story as well as a few new images to boot.

Fuck You Silconera! Edit: http://gematsu.com/2015/04/star-ocean-5-first-details-famitsu-screenshots

Even more screenshots and deets than what the previous tossers were able to toss into their halfassed article before publishing it with the word "First!" blazoned on it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 12:01:25 PM by Aeolus »
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2015, 10:42:53 AM »
Man, that article really insists that Fidel is like a Brother to Miki.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2015, 11:11:38 AM »

But they aren't, so its totally okay (granted, they could be half-siblings and it'd still be totally okay for Japan).

Also it seems that our generic anime swordsman is the son of a generic anime swordsman's father, so that's good to know. Man, we're breakin' all the rules here :v (well, I guess when you're aiming low, the target's not all that hard to hit).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2015, 11:29:04 AM »

But they aren't, so its totally okay (granted, they could be half-siblings and it'd still be totally okay for Japan).

Gotta win over dem SAO fans!

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2015, 12:00:08 PM »
Guy looks great, the girl..... fell and hit the bottom of the uncanny valley.  Fuck, are tri-Ace taking fan input like Squarenix has been to fix that?  She looks different from the rest of the cast (and even the artwork) and it's really odd (move in the eyes, give her a bit more nose so she doesn't look like a person's thumb).  Everything else is more or less gorgeous (like holy shit those environments); the anime look in realistic 3D is a little off-putting, but it's pretty nonetheless (and if tri-Ace is behind it, the gameplay and combat oughta be super-duper).

EDIT: woah, is the main guy 23?  Senior citizen by JRPG standards. :P

« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 12:25:00 PM by Dice »
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

DariaRPG

• Lvl 99
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2015, 12:23:27 PM »
Regarding protagonist Fidel’s age: “It’s worth pointing out that Fidel, the protagonist, is 23 years old. Star Ocean fans are becoming adults and the type of people who own PS3s and PS4s are going to skew a little older, so we made Fidel as old as he is to better enable those players to more readily project themselves into him.”

Why do I suddenly feel old and creepy? I guess they don't coun't SO fans who started with the original games?
Like smart, indepth reviews of really old RPGs and adventure games? Well then, have I got the YouTube channel for you.

(Tunnels)

• Professional Thinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2015, 01:22:34 PM »
Regarding protagonist Fidel’s age: “It’s worth pointing out that Fidel, the protagonist, is 23 years old. Star Ocean fans are becoming adults and the type of people who own PS3s and PS4s are going to skew a little older, so we made Fidel as old as he is to better enable those players to more readily project themselves into him.”

Why do I suddenly feel old and creepy? I guess they don't coun't SO fans who started with the original games?

I feel ya there, I started with SO2 when I was like 11. I'm thinking that since they're using SO3 as a touchstone, and that game is 12 years old, and the targeted demographic was probably around 12-16, they're assuming the fans of SO3 are probably in their mid-late 20's. That being said, I am happy some JRPG developers are not afraid to have older (by JRPG standards) protags.

Also, I'm guessing the Event Scenes in the link Aeolus provided will be this iterations PAs.

DariaRPG

• Lvl 99
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2015, 02:19:36 PM »

I feel ya there, I started with SO2 when I was like 11. I'm thinking that since they're using SO3 as a touchstone, and that game is 12 years old, and the targeted demographic was probably around 12-16, they're assuming the fans of SO3 are probably in their mid-late 20's. That being said, I am happy some JRPG developers are not afraid to have older (by JRPG standards) protags.

Also, I'm guessing the Event Scenes in the link Aeolus provided will be this iterations PAs.

I got SO2 along with my playstation for my 15th birthday.

Speaking of age, Fidel isn't any older than the majority of SO2's cast. Celine and Opera were both 23, and Bowman and Dias were 27 and 25 respectively, with the exceptions of Rena and Pris everyone else hovered around 20.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 02:36:06 PM by DariaRPG »
Like smart, indepth reviews of really old RPGs and adventure games? Well then, have I got the YouTube channel for you.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2015, 02:24:15 PM »
Cliff was 36.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2015, 02:50:53 PM »
Cliff was 36.

Fayt, Sophia and Maria were college age. Nel and Albel were both their early twenties, I think. Adray was actually old-old, not JRPG-old. Mirage was... I have no idea, mid-twenties? Older? And the two token kid characters could easily be kept out of your final party if you didn't want them. Yay for that!

DrGonzo

• View Profile
    • Experimental Gonzo Art
« Reply #102 on: April 17, 2015, 07:15:41 PM »
So, this is pretty exciting news to hear since it's from Square Enix that isn't an iOS port. However, I'm someone who has yet to play a Star Ocean game. Should I start out with the 1st one or 2nd one? Because I can't find a way to play the 1st one since it's only on the SNES and the 2nd one is on PSN Classics.

DariaRPG

• Lvl 99
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 17, 2015, 07:31:40 PM »
So, this is pretty exciting news to hear since it's from Square Enix that isn't an iOS port. However, I'm someone who has yet to play a Star Ocean game. Should I start out with the 1st one or 2nd one? Because I can't find a way to play the 1st one since it's only on the SNES and the 2nd one is on PSN Classics.

The first one was actually remade for the psp, if that's an option for you.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #104 on: April 17, 2015, 07:33:03 PM »

I'd play the SNES Star Ocean 1 over the PSP one, it's better as an SNES game than it was as a PSP game.  But if that ain't an option, get Star Ocean First Departure (an SO1 remake) and Star Ocean Second Evolution (an SO2 enhanced port).

Star Ocean 3 is hard but rewarding experience, but SO4 has a swell battle system and look but piss poor characters and plot.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!