Author Topic: The tri-Ace General Discussion (& Star Ocean 5) Thread

Hathen

• View Profile
Re: Star Ocean 5
« Reply #105 on: April 17, 2015, 10:00:16 PM »
Hopefully the "he's older" thing translates over to him acting like it, it sounds like that's what they're going for since their target seems to be older players. Glad to hear it.

And man, the environments look nice and all, but I still think the characters look really out-of-place. Might look better in motion, though.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2015, 10:11:30 PM »
Star Ocean 3 isn't that difficult if you play on the standard difficulty (Galaxy?) and over-level (and abuse the shit out of equipment enhancement)

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2015, 10:41:16 PM »
Yay, I'm 23. Combined with the fact that it's such a random age, it kinda fucks with my brain.

Like, I looked up "23 year old Video game characters" and this was all I could find after checking 11 pages on Google...

Oh, and the Car salesmen in Catherine was 23 as well, apparently. But that's it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 10:42:57 PM by Mickeymac92 »

MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

DrGonzo

• View Profile
    • Experimental Gonzo Art
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2015, 12:08:05 AM »
So, this is pretty exciting news to hear since it's from Square Enix that isn't an iOS port. However, I'm someone who has yet to play a Star Ocean game. Should I start out with the 1st one or 2nd one? Because I can't find a way to play the 1st one since it's only on the SNES and the 2nd one is on PSN Classics.

The first one was actually remade for the psp, if that's an option for you.
But I hear that the PSP port is kinda butt.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2015, 12:21:27 AM »
So, this is pretty exciting news to hear since it's from Square Enix that isn't an iOS port. However, I'm someone who has yet to play a Star Ocean game. Should I start out with the 1st one or 2nd one? Because I can't find a way to play the 1st one since it's only on the SNES and the 2nd one is on PSN Classics.

The Super Famicom game was far worse, IMO.

MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2015, 12:28:09 AM »
Star Ocean 1 could be described as "Screw you guys! We're going to make our own Tales of Phantasia, but with hookers and blackjack!"

Yay, I'm 23. Combined with the fact that it's such a random age, it kinda fucks with my brain.

Like, I looked up "23 year old Video game characters" and this was all I could find after checking 11 pages on Google...

Oh, and the Car salesmen in Catherine was 23 as well, apparently. But that's it.

23 is more of the age where characters who started in their mid to late teens ended up after one too many timeskips.

Its also the age where Ramza ended at in a couple of my runs through FFT.

Though I will not be surprised if Miki turns out to be 14 or 15.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

CoreSignal

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2015, 02:18:12 AM »
Regarding protagonist Fidel’s age: “It’s worth pointing out that Fidel, the protagonist, is 23 years old. Star Ocean fans are becoming adults and the type of people who own PS3s and PS4s are going to skew a little older, so we made Fidel as old as he is to better enable those players to more readily project themselves into him.”

Why do I suddenly feel old and creepy? I guess they don't coun't SO fans who started with the original games?
The main character is 23? by JRPG standands, Fidel should be in a nursing home, lol.

Though I will not be surprised if Miki turns out to be 14 or 15.

That's more like it. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised, either.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 18, 2015, 03:16:36 AM »
That kind of age difference would be kind of creepy, even to Japanese players. So I'm going to say: 17-18. High school-age but practically an adult.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 18, 2015, 06:56:01 AM »
Guy looks great, the girl..... fell and hit the bottom of the uncanny valley.  Fuck, are tri-Ace taking fan input like Squarenix has been to fix that?  She looks different from the rest of the cast (and even the artwork) and it's really odd (move in the eyes, give her a bit more nose so she doesn't look like a person's thumb). 
Random thought, maybe it is intentional? Maybe she is supposed to be an incomplete program introduced by the 4th dimensional beings that was introduced into the game by accident prior to them finishing her character model. Or maybe she is a player character for a 4th dimensional being and character players look more artificial than the NPCs due to character customization. Actually that would kind of be an interesting mind fuck moment if that happened.

*sniffs* Is something burning? *looks down* Oh no, I'm just melting. Why did I mention the 4th dimensional beings? I'M MELLLTTTTINGGGG!!!!

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 18, 2015, 10:09:37 AM »
Nah, they just haven't updated the looks of all the classes yet. Next patch, she and all the other healers (assuming she's a healer, she looks likes one), will get their nose.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 18, 2015, 11:02:48 AM »
I can't believe you guys are all making fun of Miki.
I thought this place was more accepting of people with disabilities.
You put yourself in her place being born without a nose and getting shit like this from everyone.
Shame on you all.

/s

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 18, 2015, 11:43:03 AM »
heres hope the 23 year old guy is like ryudo.

Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 18, 2015, 12:17:41 PM »
Nah, they just haven't updated the looks of all the classes yet. Next patch, she and all the other healers (assuming she's a healer, she looks likes one), will get their nose.

Nah. The devs probably finally managed to afford a Maya software license and are celebrating the milestone by rendering all their character models in Blin materials.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

FallenGrace

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 19, 2015, 05:33:29 AM »

I thought it was good actually, never heard anyone knock it before.

As for Star Ocean five, I hate the character designs though the town shots look nice. I'm just not really feeling it though.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 19, 2015, 07:23:05 AM »
I can't believe you guys are all making fun of Miki.
I thought this place was more accepting of people with disabilities.
You put yourself in her place being born without a nose and getting shit like this from everyone.
Shame on you all.

/s
Not having a nose is not a disability. Being born without a nose allowed Krillian to win a fight in the World Martial Art's tournament. So clearly it is closer to being a superpower than being a disability.