Author Topic: The tri-Ace General Discussion (& Star Ocean 5) Thread

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
Re: The tri-Ace General Discussion (& Star Ocean 5) Thread
« Reply #495 on: March 10, 2016, 03:29:31 AM »
If only I could ditch Ernest and get Ashton + Opera.
It's surprising no one ever modded that thinking about it.

Yeah, would of liked to have both really...

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 03:33:18 AM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 10, 2016, 10:26:52 AM »
I was like: "Why don't I remember Opera?"  Now I realize: I ALWAYS got Ashton.  I don't think I even knew that recruiting Ashton locked me out of other characters.  I haven't played this game in a long time and didn't really have internet access back then.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #497 on: March 21, 2016, 08:07:35 PM »
Summer release date guys. I think the voices sound a little bit better in the new trailer too. Regardless, this looks pretty and I'm actually beginning to get excited.

(Tunnels)

• Professional Thinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 21, 2016, 10:11:17 PM »
Summer release date guys. I think the voices sound a little bit better in the new trailer too. Regardless, this looks pretty and I'm actually beginning to get excited.

This is looking great. I really really like the voice for Fidel. At this point I'm sold, and barring any horrendous reports on the game, I think I'll be picking this one up on release.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 22, 2016, 06:35:44 PM »
What are your guys favorite Tri-Ace games anyway? I mean, there are so many at this point...

There's a few I haven't played.. but I guess overall I'd have to go with the likes of... (from #1 on down... although keeping in mind I've enjoyed all of them in one way or another)

Valkyrie Profile 1
Valkyrie Profile 2
Star Ocean 2
Resonance of Fate
Star Ocean 4
Radiata Stories
Star Ocean 3
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Isjaki

• Kind of An Alchemist
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 22, 2016, 11:46:16 PM »
I am so ready for this game. This year is going to be even more nuts with games!

I would go:
Star Ocean 2
Star Ocean 3
Resonance of Fate
Star Ocean 4
Infinite Undiscovery

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 22, 2016, 11:54:21 PM »
I am so ready for this game. This year is going to be even more nuts with games!

I would go:
Star Ocean 2
Star Ocean 3
Resonance of Fate
Star Ocean 4
Infinite Undiscovery

haha! Not too different, I kinda wish I had played Infinite Undiscovery to get a take on it.

Isjaki

• Kind of An Alchemist
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 23, 2016, 12:15:22 AM »
haha! Not too different, I kinda wish I had played Infinite Undiscovery to get a take on it.

The story got pretty bonkers, not really in a good way though. There were some cool ideas, but the execution wasn't done too well. I remember kind of enjoying the battle system though.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 23, 2016, 12:32:39 AM »
I stopped playing IU because I felt compelled to fill in the map of every area and it was the absolute worst! Giant maps revealed in a tiny tiny circle around the main character with almost nothing of value or interest to find. Pretty much the most aptly named video game ever.

Isjaki

• Kind of An Alchemist
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 23, 2016, 01:45:04 AM »
The environments were so empty that it made exploring not worth it. There was that one area where I think it was a dragon that blew fire at you, that was fairly interesting.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 23, 2016, 10:12:13 AM »
What are your guys favorite Tri-Ace games anyway? I mean, there are so many at this point...

There's a few I haven't played.. but I guess overall I'd have to go with the likes of... (from #1 on down... although keeping in mind I've enjoyed all of them in one way or another)

Valkyrie Profile 1
Valkyrie Profile 2
Star Ocean 2
Resonance of Fate
Star Ocean 4
Radiata Stories
Star Ocean 3

All of these, minus SO3 and 4.  SO3 because.... I really don't think it was all that great.  And SO4 because I haven't played it yet, even though I own it.

Resonance of Fate, especially, felt special to me when I got it.  I'm a massive Final Fantasy fanboy, but I purchased it on release instead of FFXIII (they came out within a week of each other).  I have since beaten XIII and never finished RoF, but at the time XIII had too much controversy and division surrounding it, so I chose to support the more-obscure title.  Didn't do much good, but I always love seeing it mentioned from time to time.  Such a unique game shouldn't be forgotten.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 24, 2016, 08:17:20 PM »
Only played SO 2-3 plus some of Resonance of Fate. However Wiki says they developed (or I guess helped? with FF13-2 and FF: LR so those two as well).

With the exception of the endings I really liked SO 2-3 (would prefer 1 good ending over 12 or so bad ones). SO3 even being one of the few games I didn't mind grinding. I wanted to like RoF but I just couldn't get the hang of that battle system. 

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 25, 2016, 12:19:20 AM »

Valkyrie Profile 1
Valkyrie Profile 2
Star Ocean 2
Resonance of Fate
Star Ocean 4
Radiata Stories
Star Ocean 3

All of these, minus SO3 and 4.  SO3 because.... I really don't think it was all that great. 

Resonance of Fate, especially, felt special to me when I got it.  I'm a massive Final Fantasy fanboy, but I purchased it on release instead of FFXIII (they came out within a week of each other).  I have since beaten XIII and never finished RoF, but at the time XIII had too much controversy and division surrounding it, so I chose to support the more-obscure title.  Didn't do much good, but I always love seeing it mentioned from time to time.  Such a unique game shouldn't be forgotten.

SO3 was a lot of fun but for some reason didn't quite stick as much as like 2 for instance.. still keep coming back to SO2 for some reason.

And yeah Resonance of Fate is honestly just a pretty challenging game, so it can feel hard to finally get all the way over the humps and finish it.

As to the above yeah the battle system really seems to depend a lot on upgrading your weapons as thoroughly as possible, but some of the parts for stronger weapons appear to be rare drops.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 12:33:45 AM by Artimicia »

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
I can't believe it's not April 1st
« Reply #508 on: March 29, 2016, 08:14:12 AM »
Square Enix Gave Star Ocean 5ís Miki Bigger Panties in Fear of Western Criticism
http://nichegamer.com/2016/03/28/square-enix-gave-star-ocean-5s-miki-bigger-panties-in-fear-of-western-criticism/

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: I can't believe it's not April 1st
« Reply #509 on: March 29, 2016, 08:28:01 AM »
Square Enix Gave Star Ocean 5’s Miki Bigger Panties in Fear of Western Criticism
http://nichegamer.com/2016/03/28/square-enix-gave-star-ocean-5s-miki-bigger-panties-in-fear-of-western-criticism/

lol ok?  She had a giant dress on, I imagine you'd have to play with the camera to see another inch of added panties??  Besides Fiore was the more main concern of "this" (whatever it is).
Looks like the game just guaranteed thousands of 1-star reviews on Amazon JP.  The reason sounds kinda odd, I can't imagine developers feeling the tension to change [both versions?] exclusively for Westerners and Western reasons.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 08:32:22 AM by Dice »
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!