Author Topic: The tri-Ace General Discussion (& Star Ocean 5) Thread

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: The tri-Ace General Discussion (& Star Ocean 5) Thread
« Reply #855 on: February 23, 2017, 07:28:44 PM »
I don't. I already kind of regret spending $20 on SO3. I'm not doing it again.

This.
Not a terrible game, but not that good. Can be a real repetitive slog at times. One play-through was enough.

Actually, it kinda was. Everything was a step back from SO2, and that's when you weren't Side Kicking everything. You had MP Death, a far more cumbersome Invention mechanic that required being nearly halfway through the game to unlock, Map Completion, the Awful Bonus Gauge, still completely useless Magic, an anemic Late Game, a cast that was largely forgettable to awful (who you didn't even get half of until halfway into the game, and one of the longest running party members suddenly decides to be totally optional/skippable/irrelevant to the remainder of the plot), worse Private Actions and PA mechanics, and godawful minigames (you'd think Minecart Roaches would be an interesting idea, you also might think that Desert Bus was a good idea, they aren't).

The fact that the games since then have been even worse is why Star Ocean is a colossal waste of an IP.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: February 24, 2017, 09:29:17 AM »
Sometimes, Aeolus is harsh and overly critical.

And other times, he is so spot on it almost hurts.

This is the latter.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: February 24, 2017, 11:28:15 AM »
I liked SO3 so I have it above the proverbial 'bar'. For completionists, the Battle Trophy challenges were heaven sent and the rewards interesting enough (maids and FAM? hell yeah!)

That said, I'm sad to see the SO IP rolled in dirt with every further entry.
Is it that hard to recapture the spirit of SO2? It sure seems so...

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #858 on: February 24, 2017, 11:39:29 AM »
I don't. I already kind of regret spending $20 on SO3. I'm not doing it again.

This.
Not a terrible game, but not that good. Can be a real repetitive slog at times. One play-through was enough.

Actually, it kinda was. Everything was a step back from SO2, and that's when you weren't Side Kicking everything. You had MP Death, a far more cumbersome Invention mechanic that required being nearly halfway through the game to unlock, Map Completion, the Awful Bonus Gauge, still completely useless Magic, an anemic Late Game, a cast that was largely forgettable to awful (who you didn't even get half of until halfway into the game, and one of the longest running party members suddenly decides to be totally optional/skippable/irrelevant to the remainder of the plot), worse Private Actions and PA mechanics, and godawful minigames (you'd think Minecart Roaches would be an interesting idea, you also might think that Desert Bus was a good idea, they aren't).

The fact that the games since then have been even worse is why Star Ocean is a colossal waste of an IP.

No argument here. I had forgotten blocked out some of those negative details you mentioned.
I remember having both Cliff and Mirage in my party almost broke the late game. That was kinda fun, at least...

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: March 06, 2017, 02:46:11 PM »
I still have my PS2 version of SO3 that I haven't played...

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice"

FallingMage

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • In Search of Lost Time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: March 07, 2017, 06:47:49 PM »
SO3 was the last good one. Glad to see its getting a re-release, even though it does not look like that big of an improvement.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: March 08, 2017, 12:09:37 PM »
Still have my PS3 version of SO4 that I haven't played (beyond 20 minutes to show a friend).
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #862 on: March 08, 2017, 01:16:14 PM »
You're not missing out on much, besides a really good battle system.

I liked SO3. The plot twist isn't as abysmal as everyone makes it out to be, but god some of the characters are awful, and it does look a little dated. It was fun, if exploitable.

Where's my SO2 port, though?

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #863 on: March 08, 2017, 07:15:53 PM »
You're not missing out on much, besides a really good battle system.

I liked SO3. The plot twist isn't as abysmal as everyone makes it out to be, but god some of the characters are awful, and it does look a little dated. It was fun, if exploitable.

Where's my SO2 port, though?

The plot twist itself isn't so much the problem as was the fact that a lot of people had little to no prior experience with the series prior to 3 (your only alternative was SO2 or emulation of SO1 or Blue Sphere), so they assumed that the writers taking the nuclear option like that actually meant something to the setting (ala olde skool Phantasy Star), when in reality, the series was a dumpster fire to begin with and nothing of value was lost.

The gameplay can be described as Tales of combat if the Tales of series mechanically stagnated on either Phantasia or Destiny and instead opted to gimmick their way forward (the bonus gauge and MP death being their big gimmicks for SO3 while the 3D battlefields didn't add much).

If you're really jonesing for some PS2 era tri-Ace gameplay, VP2 is by far the better option.

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #864 on: March 14, 2017, 03:39:14 PM »
SO3 was the last good one. Glad to see its getting a re-release, even though it does not look like that big of an improvement.

Oh I just found out. But I don't think I'll be buying it again. Unless it goes on sale.

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #865 on: March 18, 2017, 06:05:46 PM »
this is me

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #866 on: March 23, 2017, 09:56:39 PM »
Despite the twist I did like SO3 better than SO2.

Is it me or is SO3 that last good game that Tri-ace published? I couldn't get into Resonance of Fate and haven't played Valkyria Profile 2.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #867 on: March 23, 2017, 11:20:08 PM »
Valkyria Profile 2.

The Sega x Tri-Ace crossover I never knew I wanted (maybe Project X Zone 3? (although RoF kinda already fulfills that role)).

That said, Valkyrie Profile 2 is better than SO3 by far and probably better than SO2. You just have to know not to dump all of your Einherijar too early and to only bother raising Alicia and Rufus (unless you want gamebreaking weaponry in which case, you'll probably only want to use story characters).

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #868 on: March 26, 2017, 10:59:21 PM »
Despite the twist I did like SO3 better than SO2.

Is it me or is SO3 that last good game that Tri-ace published? I couldn't get into Resonance of Fate and haven't played Valkyria Profile 2.

Heresy. You should play both Valkyrie profile 2 and Resonance of Fate.

The hate for SO 3's "twist" was ridiculous and silly. Theres nothing wrong with it.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: March 26, 2017, 11:50:30 PM »
Yeah, if I'm being honest, I don't think I ever got far enough to even know what twists you gys are talking about. I got a million other reasons to dislike the story on its own, though. Really, I think at the end of the day, SO3's greatest sin (in my eyes), was just being extremely boring while continuously looking like it might get better...and as far as I can tell, it never truly delivered. It was such a massive waste of potential, though now that I have Mass Effect in my life, I don't even care about that anymore.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes