Author Topic: The tri-Ace General Discussion (& Star Ocean 5) Thread

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
Re: The tri-Ace General Discussion (& Star Ocean 5) Thread
« Reply #915 on: August 25, 2017, 07:04:47 PM »
I heard the battle system is excellent, though

Yeah, but that alone can't really carry a 60 hour JRPG.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: August 25, 2017, 09:32:07 PM »
I heard the battle system is excellent, though

Yeah, but that alone can't really carry a 60 hour JRPG.

It can if you take your time. I just played until I got to then next planet then took months off. I mean, that's sort of how I play most RPGs...unless I happen to get addicted to them (which requires more factors than simply how good it is), I never really play games all at once...keeps me from savoring them...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #917 on: August 26, 2017, 07:01:05 AM »
I'm in the camp that a brilliant battle system is not enough to carry an RPG if all the other elements are meh.  Take Grandia Xtreme for instance.  It had probably the best iteration of the Grandia battle engine, but everything else (story, exploration, music) was nothing great.  Your sports team won't win any championships if it consists of one superstar and everyone else is a chump.

My biggest issue with battle systems like Star Ocean's is relying on AI to control my party during battles.  AI was awful in Star Ocean 2 where I had to babysit everyone or they would all blow themseves up.
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: August 27, 2017, 01:28:55 AM »
I know what you mean, Dinc, but that's why I just...did everything for them. Since it actually gives you the option to turn off most functions that they might otherwise screw up, plus you can switch characters just by pressing the bumpers/L1/R1. Again, it's more than just the battle system that was good in my opinion, there were a lot of QoL things that a lot of RPGs could benefit from, and helped make focusing on the gameplay elements feel more rewarding, at least for me. Then again, I'm one of those who thought Final Fantasy XIII-2 was a great game so long as you ignored the story.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think Star Ocean: The Last Hope should be approached more like a B-Movie in game form. I know when I played, I usually went one planet at a time, and so I viewed each adventure in a more self-contained manner. That gave it more of a sense that I was experiencing an Episodic Sci-fi adventure, and a few parts even felt like they wouldn't have been out of place in a cheesy Sci-Fi channel series. Couldple that with good gameplay, and I think that it can at least be a fun game, if you're in the right mood.

So I agree that it's not great, but I disagree that it's not worth experiencing.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 01:51:20 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: September 22, 2017, 07:15:33 PM »
I was going to say so with Star Ocean 5 this the exact same combat system as in Infinite Undiscovery and that was IMO one of the best Tri Ace games... I guess someone mentioned that already.

And then I was going to post a picture of Aya's Fayel costume and how cool it was IMO but can't find it ah well, anyway and Aya is in like my top 10 JRPG characters.

And it has Capel (LIke Fidel?) going DINNER DINNER in that one scene that cracks me up about as good if not a little better than Lunar Silver Star Story which is one of my fave games for humor.

Anyway this is a long way of saying I don't see any SO3 in this game it's all Infinite to me...

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 07:39:28 PM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: September 22, 2017, 10:32:49 PM »
I was going to say so with Star Ocean 5 this the exact same combat system as in Infinite Undiscovery and that was IMO one of the best Tri Ace games... I guess someone mentioned that already.

And then I was going to post a picture of Aya's Fayel costume and how cool it was IMO but can't find it ah well, anyway and Aya is in like my top 10 JRPG characters.

And it has Capel (LIke Fidel?) going DINNER DINNER in that one scene that cracks me up about as good if not a little better than Lunar Silver Star Story which is one of my fave games for humor.

Anyway this is a long way of saying I don't see any SO3 in this game it's all Infinite to me...
Get out.

TASTY!

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: September 23, 2017, 11:09:33 AM »
Valkyria Profile 2.

The Sega x Tri-Ace crossover I never knew I wanted (maybe Project X Zone 3? (although RoF kinda already fulfills that role)).

That said, Valkyrie Profile 2 is better than SO3 by far and probably better than SO2. You just have to know not to dump all of your Einherijar too early and to only bother raising Alicia and Rufus (unless you want gamebreaking weaponry in which case, you'll probably only want to use story characters).

I can't believe I misses this comment, one of the few times I completely agree with Aeolus. VP2 is also one of Tri Aces best games IMO.

Also I have to enjoy the emotions Tri-Ace evokes here on RPGFan... it was actually the main reason I eventually signed up was because it was the only place that seemed aware of their own existence, and actively discuss as opposed to the usual FF and Persona thing (FF if your lame, Persona if your secretly cool).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 11:15:00 AM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: September 23, 2017, 06:16:29 PM »

While I admit that she's easy on the 'ayas', she wasn't exactly all that memorable beyond that one point where you're literally carting her across the countryside like some kind of Zora Princess.

Also, who the hell calls their game "Infinite Undiscovery"? That's like if J.K. Rowling came up with an eighth (ninth? tenth?) Harry Potter book titled "Harry Potter and the Invisible Portrait" (although I suppose that's in essence what "The Portrait of Dorian Gray" was largely about, kinda; if you squint hard enough; maybe).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: September 24, 2017, 12:34:20 AM »
Infinite Undiscovery was the perfect name for that game. You run around filling in gigantic maps filled with absolutely nothing.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: September 25, 2017, 01:43:58 PM »
(FF if your lame, Persona if your secretly cool).

Sometimes Arti is right on point, though.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: October 11, 2017, 09:51:07 PM »
http://gematsu.com/2017/10/star-ocean-last-hope-4k-full-hd-remaster-announced-ps4-pc

If the SO3 HD remaster is anything to go by, I fully expect them to somehow manage to preserve the full disk swapping experience of the HD-DVD SO4.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: October 13, 2017, 07:41:25 PM »
On the one hand, I want this game since I never beat the original.  On the other hand, I don't know if it will be worth the expense.  If the price is right, I'll pick it up.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #927 on: October 14, 2017, 01:35:40 PM »
On the one hand, I want this game since I never beat the original.  On the other hand, I don't know if it will be worth the expense.  If the price is right, I'll pick it up.

You get it because it has an AWESOME battle system and the cool item creation system comes back (and fortunately it's less intense than it was in SO3).
...that's about it; I mean I guess it's pretty funny (unintentionally).

I love that the game sorta has space travel... it should pushed the envelop with it further... Que sera sera.

It's a solid title if you're able to let go of what sucks about it.

...My review is all over the place.  Butt yeah, play it.  If it's a good price.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: October 15, 2017, 08:47:05 PM »
^The game-y parts of SO4 are fun, but the story and presentation is B-Movie at best, and the dungeon/world designs aren't anything to write home about, IIRC. I definitely had fun with it, but my expectations were low and I took long breaks between sessions (not even sure if that makes a difference, that's how I usually play games).

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Andvari

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: October 19, 2017, 04:15:57 PM »
I don't know if this has been mentioned in the thread already but does anyone remember the tech demo tri-ace did back in 2011. I remember it and i just watched it and this was running on the 360 if I recall and it was in real time. I would love to see a new Star Ocean in this style I know the anime feel but this demo just gave me goosebumps I could just only imagine if they did Star Ocean 6 in this style and fix their mistakes and learned from what happened to SO5. I regret buying the Japanese Collectors Edition of SO5. I like it more for the stuff you get rather than the game itself. The art and music are ok but the story and gameplay is just a huge letdown.