Author Topic: Is brand loyalty "worth it?"

Arklight

• Know the meaning of Odio.
    • View Profile
Is brand loyalty "worth it?"
« on: April 15, 2015, 09:09:05 PM »
There's no denying the fact that many of us look at series as a whole. After all, if you liked one game in a series, chances are you'll want to try more of what the series has to offer.

However, we are reaching the points where...

A. Series can diverge from their original direction
B. Thanks to the information age, we can be made aware of these changes well in advance.

With that said, what I REALLY mean to ask is, is there really any point to brand loyalty anymore?
Can it be considered disingenuous to a final product to judge it based on other entries in the same series?

What do you guys think? Do you find yourself judging a product based on its predecessors/successors or do you judge a game based on its own merits and how much you personally get out of it?
"Art is how we decorate space; Music is how we decorate time"

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
Re: Is brand loyalty "worth it?"
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 09:32:12 PM »
Well to answer your second question, it's human nature to compare something to something else that is similar. As video games go, we don't just compare games to each other in a series, but we also compare standalone games and new IP's to games that are similar. It just makes it easier to judge something when there's a baseline or point of reference to follow.

As for brand loyalty. I absolutely think it is important. I like to do side-by-side hypotheticals so let's do that here. We have series A and series B. Both have the same critical acclaim, but series A develops a devoted following and series B does not. Then as the series goes on, the developers start to lose interest and both series' begin to suffer in quality. So what happens? Series B simply falls into obscurity and while some initial fans may hold on to fond memories of when the series thrived, the series is fated to wither away (see: Silent Hill). Series A on the other hand has it's brand loyalists fighting tooth and nail for the series to return to the "good ol' days," and what happens is either the developers reignite the passion in the series, or other developers notice the demand and you see faithful copycats and homages to the glory days of the series (see: Mega Man).

Of course, these aren't the only scenarios that could develop, you also have things like Sonic, with a delusional fanbase and developers that can't seem to figure out what the fans want. Or things like Final Fantasy, where the fanbase is so divided on the series "golden age," that the developers have no choice but to ignore them and continue on their own path.

Either way, I do think a devoted group of brand loyalists are important to keep the heart of a series alive.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 09:45:03 PM »
The brand of a game is what generally catches my eye. But I tend to think of "brand" in terms of the company behind the game, rather than the name of the title/series it belongs to. If Atlus is the developer, or if XSEED (fine, Marvelous...ugh) published/localized a game it is far more likely to get my attention than other gaming companies because I know I've been into the kind of tone/gameplay that their projects usually offer.

I could give a shit about the series really, since many are published or developed by a number of different studios and studio quality can vary so widely.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice"

insertnamehere

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 12:56:10 PM »
I could give a shit about the series really, since many are published or developed by a number of different studios and studio quality can vary so widely.

What is the difference between could giving a shit and not giving a shit?

I mostly pop in occasionally to give my two cents on certain controversial things, so if you disagree then send a PM, because I generally don't check for replies in threads in case I feel like replying and then things get heated/derailed.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 02:20:08 PM »

If you couldn't give a shit, you literally care so little you couldn't be bothered at all. If you could give a shit, your care level is at almost zero, but there is just enough concern to give the smallest notable value, i.e. a shit.

TASTY!

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 03:01:52 PM »

If you couldn't give a shit, you literally care so little you couldn't be bothered at all. If you could give a shit, your care level is at almost zero, but there is just enough concern to give the smallest notable value, i.e. a shit.

I think, when said in this particular context, what "I could give a shit" ends up being is just a contraction of "I could give a shit about the series, but I don't" with the rest just being colloquially implied. 

« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 03:04:59 PM by glassjawsh »

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice"

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 06:07:02 PM »

I think, when said in this particular context, what "I could give a shit" ends up being is just a contraction of "I could give a shit about the series, but I don't" with the rest just being colloquially implied. 

Frankly, sir, who gives a shit?

TASTY!

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 06:15:43 PM »
There is still something to be said for brand loyalty.  Series like Madden and Call of Duty are poster children of brand loyalty.  Years ago when the economy's downturn was felt the most, there was little risk taking because people wouldn't part with their hard-earned money unless it was a sure thing- so brand loyalty was more prominent.  Nowadays, there is more risk and more people checking out non-mainstream stuff on Kickstarter or Steam Greenlight.  
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 06:19:28 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Arklight

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 11:46:47 PM »
Oh, I'm not asking if brand loyalty still exists, it obviously does. What I am asking is whether or not there would actually be a benefit to deciding to not hold yourself to it anymore. I'm sure there are more than a few objectively good games that got rejected because it deviated from standards set by its predecessors/successors. Just a crazy little idea that may or may not have any merit whatsoever; I just figured it would be worth thinking about.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 02:54:08 AM »
Series like Madden and Call of Duty are poster children of brand loyalty.

Funny to think that at one point in time Call of Duty (namely 1 and 2) were fairly clever and well-designed games with a vision behind them. The original Modern Warfare was the only other one that got close to that, and since then series became massively popular and every new entry has no more value than fast food when everything is said and done. Though, the cultural impact the games have had does count for something... I guess.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 06:38:44 AM »
Arklight- The point I didn't state explicitly is that brand loyalty depends on the consumer.  Folks like us in the RPGFan community are veering away from brand loyalty but the Madden/Call of Duty crowd will remain loyal to those brands.  And that brings in Ygg's point that because of Madden of CoD's popularity, they can't deviate too far from the formula or they'll lose their clientele.  So for them, they'll buy a new Madden or CoD because they know exactly what they're getting.  So those consumers get what they want and the companies get a ton of cash.  

With RPGs and RPG fans, brand loyalty is less prevalent.  Look at how many people abandoned FF when 7 came out and the whole Harvest Moon naming fiasco.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 07:19:11 AM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

timmyFd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 09:10:55 AM »
Look at how many people abandoned FF when 7 came out

Errrr what? Which version of history are you living in?

One is american, the other is british. The british version makes sense. The american doesn't. It was a form of karma for the way the british pronounce "schedule", which is clearly wrong. Whereas the american one is clearly right.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 09:13:44 AM by timmyFd »

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 09:34:02 AM »
The Wikipedia article on New Coke is /deeply/ depressing.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Arklight

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 10:35:16 AM »

Coke II: The Sequel

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 04:49:18 PM »
Timmy- Anecdotal.  I've met a LOT of people who abandoned FF because they felt that FF7 deviated too far from FF6 and the good ol' 2D ones.  They were the ones decrying that the people who jumped on the FF7 bandwagon weren't "true" FF fans, that they were playing Mario when the "true" fans were playing FF4 or whatnot...

And if you want to take that elsewhere, FF is one of those series that has lost clientele as they've deviated, innovated, etc. drastically. 

All I'm saying is that brand loyalty is less important to RPG fans because we're more of a "risk taking" group and despite some oldheads saying that their favorite series is deviating from its roots, there are plenty of fans (old and new) who embrace the change.  Just like with bands- maybe your favorite band made an experimental album that's not their bread 'n butter, but they're being creative and not rehashing the same shit over and over.  Last thing we want is stale. 

But you can't change around Madden games too much.  Those people just want to be able to grab a controller, a couple of friends, and just play.  We as RPGFans aren't shy about learning new gameplay systems and stuff.