Author Topic: The Final General Fantasy Discussion Thread

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: The Final General Fantasy Discussion Thread
« Reply #735 on: February 08, 2017, 09:36:32 AM »
Considering I'll be playing XV soon, I should probably ask what the best way to watch the Brotherhood anime is.

I genuinely wonder what Square Enix has done in the past that makes people think they're going to unreasonably gouge customers for money?
All The Bravest.  And I'm pretty sure that's it.  Many will never forgive them.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: February 08, 2017, 10:45:04 AM »
Considering I'll be playing XV soon, I should probably ask what the best way to watch the Brotherhood anime is.

I genuinely wonder what Square Enix has done in the past that makes people think they're going to unreasonably gouge customers for money?
All The Bravest.  And I'm pretty sure that's it.  Many will never forgive them.

The After Years came up to around $45 dollars altogether on the WiiWare, whereas FFIV The Complete Collection was roughly the same price for the definitive version of FFIV + TAY and that dumb intermission, not more than two years later.

Squeenix game pricing issues mostly revolve around the Squeenix tax and almost immediate price drops since most of their major games have been pretty mediocre to bad (I still remember paying $60+ dollars for the steelbook edition of FFXII at launch, then seeing that same edition three weeks later at $20 bux new; the only Squeenix games I bought at launch since was Bravely Default 1, Dragon Quests V & VI and Tactics Ogre: Lettuce Cling Together).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: February 08, 2017, 12:30:30 PM »
Squeenix game pricing issues mostly revolve around the Squeenix tax and almost immediate price drops since most of their major games have been pretty mediocre to bad (I still remember paying $60+ dollars for the steelbook edition of FFXII at launch, then seeing that same edition three weeks later at $20 bux new; the only Squeenix games I bought at launch since was Bravely Default 1, Dragon Quests V & VI and Tactics Ogre: Lettuce Cling Together).

Uh, forget Square-Enix.  You just described the entire video game industry.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: February 08, 2017, 01:33:40 PM »
Also, seriously, what "Square Enix" tax? I've never seen a SE game marked up beyond standard MSRP the way Atlus games are. Hell, most of their remasters have been a reasonable $40 instead of the usual $60 that a lot of other companies charge for remakes.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: February 08, 2017, 02:14:12 PM »
But it's cool to hate on Squenix guys.  Don't be such squares.

see wut i did there?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #740 on: February 08, 2017, 03:50:29 PM »
Also, seriously, what "Square Enix" tax? I've never seen a SE game marked up beyond standard MSRP the way Atlus games are. Hell, most of their remasters have been a reasonable $40 instead of the usual $60 that a lot of other companies charge for remakes.

That was more of a back in the day thing where the latest FFIV port/remake would go for an extra 5~10 dollars compared to the price of other, newer, games on the same system. I've since stopped following Squeenix releases so I'm not up on whether or not they still do that.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: February 08, 2017, 04:06:57 PM »
I think that stopped around the time FFXIII released, and "Final Fantasy" was suddenly a dirty word...

Or maybe it was after 3rd Birthday, Front Mission: Evolved, Star Ocean: The Last Hope, Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant, FFXIII-2, the delays of Versus XIII, Agito becoming Type-0, Squeenix's occasionally odd attempts at breaking into the digital market (I think Gyromancer was the best thing to come out of that, and that's not really saying much), and Eidos started churning out well-acclaimed games at unreasonably high budgets that made selling ~2 million units "disappointing"...

I think they shoved DQ's Western releases onto Nintendo's lap around that time, too, IIRC.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 04:40:12 PM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Alisha

• View Profile
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 08:46:46 AM by Alisha »

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: February 26, 2017, 07:22:11 AM »
Does anyone have an opinion on Final Fantasy: Explorers Force?  There is a story up about this mobile title on the main http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2017/5940.html.  I think the game sounds promising so long as it's not a freemium title.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #744 on: February 26, 2017, 11:07:10 AM »
Does anyone have an opinion on Final Fantasy: Explorers Force?  There is a story up about this mobile title on the main http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2017/5940.html.  I think the game sounds promising so long as it's not a freemium title.

FF: Explorers was, from what I've heard, a Final Fantasy themed Monster Hunter clone. I expect Explorers Force to be largely identical, barring the graphical facelift.

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 12, 2017, 07:48:36 AM »
So, I saw the story regarding the collector's edition of Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac age.  There's a part of me that wants it, but not for the price they're selling it for.  Additionally, the soundtrack isn't isn't an enticement since I own the original OST when the Playstation 2 version was released.  Still, those Judge statuettes look awesome.  If I was in a higher income quintile, I'd already have it pre-ordered.

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #746 on: May 16, 2017, 08:45:11 AM »

eightbitsamurai

• View Profile
« Reply #747 on: May 17, 2017, 04:02:31 PM »
I like Dragonsong a little bit more, but man, my boy Uematsu will just walk into the studio and crank out some S-tier tracks for Final Fantasy at the drop of a hat.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: May 18, 2017, 09:42:30 AM »
It's no "Distant Worlds" of course (what could be?) but it's very good!  Always love to hear Susan Calloway on vocals.

Alisha

• View Profile