Author Topic: The Final General Fantasy Discussion Thread  (Read 180890 times)

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
Re: The Final General Fantasy Discussion Thread
« Reply #285 on: January 30, 2016, 03:28:16 PM »
^ I'm having the same problem. My Wi-fi doesn't like to stay connected for more than 10 minutes, but I have managed to do a mission or two co-op. It is a lot more fun co-op but everything is balanced for the number of players, so it's not difficult to make it work single-player. Though that way doesn't really give you too much incentive to play around with the different job classes, unfortunately.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 30, 2016, 03:59:40 PM »
Kuja's too sexy for this thread, too sexy for this thread... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5mtclwloEQ

And like I said earlier, I think Kuja is one of the most underrated FF characters and a fantastic villain.  I'd say he's one of the top 5 villains of the series.

Anyway, I never found Amano's extreme heroin-chic art style pretty at all.  Everyone looked sickly and emaciated.

I find his work to be somewhat hit or miss. Namely because he can do buff and swole dudes and really good monster designs, but everything else is waifs and bizarre accessories and color patterns all the way down. That said, the fact that he has a unique and distinctive style in of itself matters a lot to me because that is really fucking hard to do well.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Rgeneb1

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 30, 2016, 04:35:39 PM »
@klutz
Thanks, good to know. I think I'll take a chance on it then. I guess I didnt need too much convincing :)

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #288 on: January 30, 2016, 05:33:39 PM »
Kuja's too sexy for this thread, too sexy for this thread... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5mtclwloEQ

And like I said earlier, I think Kuja is one of the most underrated FF characters and a fantastic villain.  I'd say he's one of the top 5 villains of the series.

Anyway, I never found Amano's extreme heroin-chic art style pretty at all.  Everyone looked sickly and emaciated.

I find his work to be somewhat hit or miss. Namely because he can do buff and swole dudes and really good monster designs, but everything else is waifs and bizarre accessories and color patterns all the way down. That said, the fact that he has a unique and distinctive style in of itself matters a lot to me because that is really fucking hard to do well.

I give credit to distinctiveness.  Like, I can look at a whole bunch of character art and instantly recognize particular pieces as Amano's work.  That being said, different isn't always appealing to me.  I can name several bands whose music is truly distinct, that you can easily pick them out from the rest of the crowd, but it just doesn't do "it" for me.
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #289 on: January 31, 2016, 01:04:19 AM »

The more I think about it, the more you're definitely right, which probably feeds the fact he is underrepresented since I had to think about it.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 31, 2016, 01:21:55 PM »

The more I think about it, the more you're definitely right, which probably feeds the fact he is underrepresented since I had to think about it.
I think the bigger problem os FFIX is just an underrated game overall. In the rpg fanboy/girl circles it's popular enough, but in more generlized circles many people didn't bother with it, unlike VII, VIII, X, XII and all the overly advertised ones. Hell I don't even recall IX gettin a proper commercial...

TASTY!

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 31, 2016, 01:48:45 PM »

I think the bigger problem os FFIX is just an underrated game overall. In the rpg fanboy/girl circles it's popular enough, but in more generlized circles many people didn't bother with it, unlike VII, VIII, X, XII and all the overly advertised ones. Hell I don't even recall IX gettin a proper commercial...

You must have been a Pepsi drinker then....

The real reason why its underrated is because the PCs are superdeformed with animal/monster-ish traits which is unacceptable to the fans of the increasingly realistic human form depictions that the later FFs segued into.

(That, and it was really hard to go back to for the longest time since everything took forever and you needed a working PSX or PS2 to run. Of course this will soon be a totally moot point thanks to its PC release.)

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 01, 2016, 12:11:45 AM »
I remember FFIX being really offputting to me when it was new because of all the animal people which is funny because I was a hardcore furry back when I was 13. like a yiff level 10 wolfsona and conlangs and connections to shady people on the west coast who were probably all ZZTers. the whole shalam. now i just walk around the river having vague religious experiences. where's the rpgs for that, haahn?
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 01, 2016, 02:37:05 AM »
like a yiff level 10 wolfsona and conlangs and connections to shady people on the west coast who were probably all ZZTers.

I don't know what a single one of those terms means...

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 01, 2016, 09:09:13 AM »
like a yiff level 10 wolfsona and conlangs and connections to shady people on the west coast who were probably all ZZTers.

I know enough to know that all my sympathy for Mesh just went out the window.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 01, 2016, 10:10:57 AM »

You're Not Alone

^ c wut i did there?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 01, 2016, 07:00:38 PM »
Spoiler that last post was a lie

My actual fursona is Donald Trump and the entire 2016 election is just a chat RP that's gotten way out of hand

i am sorry for bringing about the destruction of the world in like a year.
o/` I do not dream o/`

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 01, 2016, 09:36:11 PM »
I find it more hilarious that ZZTers of all things gave me an actual definition.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 01, 2016, 10:28:46 PM »
I find it more hilarious that ZZTers of all things gave me an actual definition.

fwiw ZZT is more like 25 years old now, not 16.

what i'm saying is that the modern deep web is the normal web of the past and that's where i grew up okay i'm just
i'm just going to find all these modern gamers who are older than me
gather them around virtually on ActiveWorlds
"Okay kids grandpappy's going to tell you about the Dreamshift beta and Era Online, and if you REALLY behave maybe i'll tell you about the magical world of bonus.com."
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 12:14:20 AM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not dream o/`

Rgeneb1

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 02, 2016, 04:26:31 AM »
The only part of the sentence that made sense to me was ZZTers, who obviously are ZZ Top fans. Your link proves I was so far from being right its just not funny. To be fair they are kinda furry so it made sense to me...