Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 05:17:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327762 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FFV Advance (and a Genji 2 joke!)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: FFV Advance (and a Genji 2 joke!)  (Read 2434 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: November 23, 2006, 09:47:48 PM »

I've been playing FFV Advance (GBA) for about a week now, and it's just as fun as the last few times I played it.

The bonuses aren't quite as nifty as in FFIV (in my opinion), but what they did offer is pretty cool. There are four new jobs, and one of them (a new favorite of mine) is called "Gladiator." Let me tell you why it's my favorite...

Gladiator's Level 2 ability is called "Finisher." Here's the description, straight from the US version of the game:

"Powerful strike that, whenever it hits an enemy, attacks its weakpoint for massive damage."

SET IN HISTORICAL JAPAN. GIANT ENEMY CRABS. ROFL!!!!

This is clearly not a coincidence, but rather a great inside joke from this last E3 carried forward in a very unlikely place.

I think we can all agree that attacking one's weakpoint for massive damage is going to be a huge fad for the next few years of gaming. :P

Ramza

Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 04:27:29 AM »

what exactly is that weakpoint joke about? I've seen on other forums for this game talk of it and I've never heard of it. It must be another (in)famous internet thingy I'm not aware of.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 04:38:04 AM »

Youtube link.

Anyways, I expect that this and Contact will probably be the only two games to actually use it: Who knows how long it'll last on the internet (I'm willing to bet it'll be nigh-irrelevant come May-ish, a year after it started). As for FFV itself: Asking for FFVA for Christmas. I want to give it another try with portability, expectations of a new FFIV/VI dashed, and general improvements like better translation and no loading times (naturally) in contrast to the PSX release. Maturation from when I played it 7 years ago helps too.
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 07:12:47 AM »

Thanks for the link Eusis, but I'm still completely lost as to why it's considered a joke =p(like why did whomever edit a guy saying ridge racer throughout that clip?

I've been playing FFVA though, and there are some cool references that I do get, like the last skill to be gained as thief is called "artful dodger", one of the characters in Oliver Twist. The new jobs are cool too, except that necromancer can only be obtained after going through the whole game including bonus stuff, so it becomes kinda pointless.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 12:09:12 PM »

It's a joke because he said Genji 2 was a historical game based on battles that actually took place in Japan... and then proceeds to introduce how the player can inflict MASSIVE DAMAGE on GIANT ENEMY CRABS.

[/url]
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 05:22:30 PM »

Quote from: "everluck"
MASSIVE DAMAGE

http://synbios.net/games/PSU/screenshots/us_release/0020.jpg
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 06:42:54 PM »

Jason: you are my hero.

Anyways, I expect that this and Contact will probably be the only two games to actually use it: Who knows how long it'll last on the internet (I'm willing to bet it'll be nigh-irrelevant come May-ish, a year after it started).

The fact that the quote made it into *any* game shows me that it's gained quite a bit of ground. It's a *really*, EXTREMELY random thing to use as a way to poke fun at Sony, and that makes me happy. Expect more than a mention of it in my upcoming review. ^^

Ramza

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 06:50:47 PM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
The fact that the quote made it into *any* game shows me that it's gained quite a bit of ground. It's a *really*, EXTREMELY random thing to use as a way to poke fun at Sony, and that makes me happy. Expect more than a mention of it in my upcoming review. ^^

Ramza

True, and upon further reconsideration, I take back my statement about this and Contact being the only two that'll do it. We have an AYB reference in PSU, so we have no idea when it'll rear it's head again.
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 08:53:48 PM »

Oh,Okay Everluck, I see. I just thought the speaker meant the game took place in a historical setting like onimusha, and just assumed the game used fantasy elements the same kind of way.

The ridge racer thing still puzzles me though.(at least in that video eusis posted)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 09:07:58 PM »

The ridge racer thing still puzzles me though.(at least in that video eusis posted)

It's apparent you just don't follow the zaniness of internet jokes. Everything has multiple layers and is overdone to the point of obscuring the original joke.

The name of the video is "Sony e3 2006 Conference in 1 Minute." So it summarizes the main points. Here are the main points for you, if you missed it:

- Kaz Hirai is an important dude.
- Giant enemy crabs actually battled in ancient Japan.
- RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACER.
- PS3 will retail for $599.

Ramza

EDIT - Here's a post lifted from the user comments of gamemp3s, where they recently released a set of Ridge Racer 7 music.

The “Riiiidge Racer” voiceover is featured in any rr game I played. But it actually refers to something else - Sony’s embarassing E3 press conference this year. There were a lot of statements by Sony execs that did not really come out right. Everyone expected Sony to show off the real killer app, and they were talking about “real time weapons changing” (like that was something totally new), “flipping over giant enemy crabs for massive damage”, and announcing the big game, which turned to be out Ridge Racer 7. Not that I don’t like Ridge Racer, but with its 7th incarnation it hardly qualifies as a revolutionary title that needs a new console. And they announced it using the famous “Riiiiiiiidge Racer” slogan.

There is a clip on youtube, that is 1 minute long and contains the “highlights”: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJElsNaC6yQ

But I really recommend watching the full conference because it was a joke.

If you don't understand the joke after this explanation, I give up.

Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 05:59:48 PM »

I understand the jokes now, I guess it's not really my style of humour though. Sort of like that all your base stuff, I never really found it all too funny. Thanks for explaining it to an internet culture newb like me though =p
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 08:42:48 PM »

You didn't like All Your Base?! Aww man...that thing is classic. It's one of the *original* online humor fads!

That would explain why the humor was lost on you though.

Glad you fully understand now. ^^

Ramza

Haven

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 05:14:35 PM »

All your base was/is the shit. I liked that "Jeff Goldbloom is watching you" stuff too.

Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 09:32:15 AM »

I got FF V Advance last night, and it seems great so far, though I only had a chance to play it for an hour or so because we got back late.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: