Author Topic: Omega Quintet  (Read 18415 times)

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Quintet
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 04:48:57 PM »
- World of idiots

I'm out.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 04:49:42 PM »
- World of idiots

I'm out.

I don't get why this seems to happen so much with these games....
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 04:53:42 PM »
Is it some kind of joke that we're just not getting?

I just know it annoys the shit out of me.

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2015, 05:02:22 PM »
- World of idiots

I'm out.

I don't get why this seems to happen so much with these games....

Because it's a writer's crutch trope that's developed since the 80's/90's harem days and has hit full flanderization by this point.

Apparently Japanese writers don't think their target audience can handle emotional complexity when it comes to relationships. So they basically make everyone as dumb as rocks to create the same sort of misunderstandings and 'shenanigans' that you also typically see in the 90's US sitcom plagues. (Which to be fair, we haven't apparently grown out of either.)

Since people over there just keep eating up the material writers have never had to bother to evolve. So the next logical conclusion is to apply that same sense of dumb as rocks mentality to the rest of the story. It's easy to manufacture trouble when your characters are too stupid to not step on the red X. Saves money on proper writers and lets the company focus on the shinier parts of the game...so there's no reason for Quality Control there either.

Kinda like how we go from Twilight (merely questionable logic and poor emotional common sense) to 50 Shades (...do I even need to?). Once the market figures out they don't need to work for quality in one department, why bother in all the others?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 05:05:33 PM by ZeronHitaro »

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2015, 05:40:38 PM »
So I just put down my res for this today. Since it'll be the closest thing to 'Magical Girl the RPG' we ever get (no Sailor Moon SNES doesn't count :-P ) I'm putting a sliver of hope in here. Now everyone recite the JRPG mantra with me.

Please just be average...

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/other/ps4/omegaq/reviews/omegaqstrev1.html
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/04/27/omega-quintet-badly-written-and-lacking-in-focus/

Well RPGamer and Siliconera spanked it. Then again, its only RPLamer and Siliconerror.

Mmm, from what I can skim over I wouldn't be surprised if those are both pretty accurate reviews. This snippet in particular made me giggle.

- World of idiots

Sounds basically like the same trash writing that plagued Mugen Souls Z is prevalent here as well. Hopefully the primary difference being that OQ doesn't try to derive it's humor from 'lawl rape coffin' every five minutes. ~_~; Also if they don't just have one of the laziest 'Normal Ends' on the planet like Mugen Souls Z did then the bad writing will be ignorable enough for what people seem to be agreeing is fairly fun combat. Again...unlike that OTHER game....*smashes MSZ with a hammer* Holy crap will I forever disagree with that being an improved sequel...

From what I've read on GameFUQs, the Normal End is pretty much a 'game stops, gg, now get the true ending' affair.

It basically sounds like, if this game wasn't Magical Idols: The JRPG, it wouldn't even be worth discussing. Its basically harem trash (which sadly became brazenly obvious the moment they revealed the sausage) that just so happened to land in a bizarrely underrepresented genre.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2015, 05:48:24 PM »
From what I've read on GameFUQs, the Normal End is pretty much a 'game stops, gg, now get the true ending' affair.

It basically sounds like, if this game wasn't Magical Idols: The JRPG, it wouldn't even be worth discussing. Its basically harem trash (which sadly became brazenly obvious the moment they revealed the sausage) that just so happened to land in a bizarrely underrepresented genre.

Ugggh...it IS a MGZ clone then. Ponce me. XP

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2015, 06:44:03 PM »
I did think Mugen Souls Z was an improvement in terms of gameplay.  The notice board allowing you to see tutorials again and the more predictable enemy reactions from "moe kills/ captivate" were great.  The balance was better too. 

As for Omega Quintet, the reviews basically complain about the same stuff most any Compile Heart/Idea Factory review complains about.  The menus actually look reasonably ergonomic, which is an improvement from the cluttered mess menus have been in past games.  I certainly don't expect Chrono Cross, but Compile Heart/ Idea Factory's games are much improved from the clusterfucks they used to be. 
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2015, 07:02:16 PM »
I did think Mugen Souls Z was an improvement in terms of gameplay.  The notice board allowing you to see tutorials again and the more predictable enemy reactions from "moe kills/ captivate" were great.  The balance was better too. 

Fair point on that. For me and Kero though the aesthetically changes just murdered any game play updates and made it impossible to enjoy. XP For example, after seeing Chou-Chou's drastically different forms I think her direct quote sums it up best when we encountered Syrma's transformations: "...it's just a color swap? That's horse ****." So for us it was kinda like no matter how technically 'better' you cooked the meat this time around you completely skipped the salt and just rubbed dirt on it. To the chef I'd say "Your skill improved, but your meal tastes too much like mud for me to care. X-x"

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2015, 08:55:53 PM »
This is why I could never be a professional reviewer. To me, the dialogue is decent. The air-headed characters are par for course at this point, but taking that into consideration the writing is quite good. Most of the characters don't all fit neatly into standard anime archetypes and a lot of the interactions have genuinely made me smile.

Take Nene for instance (my fave character so far), she's presented as the typical "shy character" but she can dish out quite the snark in-between her ho-hum-ing.

I'll post more later, but so far a good experience.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2015, 09:15:14 PM »
This is why I could never be a professional reviewer.

On the contrary, I think this sort of niche genre requires the less critical eye or someone just going in, expectations totally in check, and to simply enjoy the experience and see what's good for being good.

Reviews are also often about the critical "whole" of a product, but there's plenty of good titles redeemable by one two other things.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 09:19:47 PM »
This is why I could never be a professional reviewer. To me, the dialogue is decent. The air-headed characters are par for course at this point, but taking that into consideration the writing is quite good. Most of the characters don't all fit neatly into standard anime archetypes and a lot of the interactions have genuinely made me smile.

Take Nene for instance (my fave character so far), she's presented as the typical "shy character" but she can dish out quite the snark in-between her ho-hum-ing.

Well, that's a relief to hear. I was just making assumptions based on what people linked since I don't get to pick up my copy until tomorrow.

Is Kanadeko a decent enough character? Just based off art she's easily my favorite pre-impressions. XD

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 09:33:49 PM »

Well, that's a relief to hear. I was just making assumptions based on what people linked since I don't get to pick up my copy until tomorrow.

Is Kanadeko a decent enough character? Just based off art she's easily my favorite pre-impressions. XD

Admittedly, same here. Her Revolver Stake style weapon is easily the most interesting of the lot.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2015, 12:06:16 AM »

Admittedly, same here. Her Revolver Stake style weapon is easily the most interesting of the lot.

Kanadeko specializes in fists, but any character can become proficient with any weapon type, so you could have just been seeing her with a different weapon. Kana seems pretty plain so far, but she admittedly hasn't had a lot of development so far. Typical big-sister type around Nene and likes to bully the other girls a bit for fun.

This is why I could never be a professional reviewer.

On the contrary, I think this sort of niche genre requires the less critical eye or someone just going in, expectations totally in check, and to simply enjoy the experience and see what's good for being good.

Reviews are also often about the critical "whole" of a product, but there's plenty of good titles redeemable by one two other things.

Thanks! That's secretly how I feel too so it's nice to hear someone else say that.

====================

Anyway, first impressions!

PROS

+ Gorgeous compared to expectations. Even being on the PS4, it's hard to believe this game is a IF/CH game based on just the graphics.

+ Areas are a lot bigger than I expected. Not huge, but plenty of room for exploration.

+ Battle pros: Positioning is important, but not the sole gimmick like say Radiant Historia. Fairly fast paced for a straight-up turned based affair. Enemy data is easily accessible. Skills are flashy as can be (honestly the shining point of the battle system)

+ I'll reiterate that any reviews bashing the dialogue are exaggerating. Otoha is really the only truly air-headed character, and all the others constantly call her out for it. And even though the other characters can act a bit dense sometimes too, it's always played up for laughs and most often successfully (already a line made me genuinely burst out laughing which is rare in any JRPG)

+ Just personal preferences, but I'm always a sucker for a game that lets you start off as a mid-level or high-level character to get a sense of what to look forward to before sticking you with Lvl 1 Can't-Do-Anything-Yet.

+ Even though it *can* get grating after a while, I appreciate the constant commentary from the leader while exploring an area. It just makes the game feel more lively during sections that can easily feel dead.

+ Another general annoyance that actually works in this case is the "Anime Series" design, with the outro and intro between each chapter of the game. The pacing of the game is pretty great right now (I have no doubts it won't stay that way) and the chapters are pretty much blocked off in a way you'd expect an actual anime series to be.

[[EDIT: Another Pro, and this one just for Dice, FANTASTIC Art Book with the CE]]

CONS

- This game really suffers from HD UI syndrome. The text during story bits makes it tough to concentrate on who's talking and to pay attention to the little bit of action going on outside the dialogue box, and the battle screen has a lot of information scattered around the screen, making it easy to miss things like Turn Bonuses and Support prompts.

- A few localization issues here and there. A few typos and the occasional line that doesn't seem to be following the conversation, but nothing too major.

- I'm sure it won't last, but battles right now are a matter of having a lot of options and not a lot of uses for anything beyond a standard attack.

- The game is very unclear how crafting works, urging you to disassemble materials for elemental crafting crystals (think TiTS) but doesn't give any indication of if materials have any other use.

- While the menus are nice and clean, the sacrifice is not having quick access to things you might want quick access to, like leader assignment (each girl has her own field ability, after all) and quest information: both of which are stuck behind a menu within a menu.

- Cutscenes tend to be a bit long-winded. It's saved by the fact that they're usually entertaining, but in the beginning when they're combined with what feels like an endless barrage of tutorials, it can be a bit exhausting.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 12:19:29 AM by Klutz64 »

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2015, 01:11:07 AM »
+ Battle pros: Positioning is important, but not the sole gimmick like say Radiant Historia. Fairly fast paced for a straight-up turned based affair. Enemy data is easily accessible. Skills are flashy as can be (honestly the shining point of the battle system)

+ I'll reiterate that any reviews bashing the dialogue are exaggerating. Otoha is really the only truly air-headed character, and all the others constantly call her out for it. And even though the other characters can act a bit dense sometimes too, it's always played up for laughs and most often successfully (already a line made me genuinely burst out laughing which is rare in any JRPG)

+ Just personal preferences, but I'm always a sucker for a game that lets you start off as a mid-level or high-level character to get a sense of what to look forward to before sticking you with Lvl 1 Can't-Do-Anything-Yet.

Hey man, Radiant Historia wasn't 'just' about positioning, but also managing turn order and mixing up your attacks to drop big combos on foes (though, yeah, positioning was probably the biggest part of the game, considering that the first form of the final boss involved positioning shadows alongside it to do any kind of damage; then again, the second form took up the entire field and was too heavy to lift, basically making positioning based tactics worthless).

That said, I reiterate my point about the reviews I linked to earlier coming from less than reputable sources (well RPGamer isn't as bad as it once was, nor is it Siliconera bad, but they still have a reputation to live down).

Also, tastes of power are nice when done well. Its probably the only thing that Lufia 1 still has to its name.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2015, 09:09:23 AM »
One con I forgot to mention last night, and one I probably don't even need to mention, is Takt.

As anyone could have predicted, he's almost completely useless to the story and his battle effects could have easily been replaced by some other macguffin. And while he does have his role in a few interactions, the only one that couldn't get the same point across without him is Ayumi constantly asking, "Yes, but are you *SURE* you're sure I can trust you staying in the same building as a bunch of teenage girls?"

Just the perfect specimen of the most rancid of JRPG "player avatar" males.

TIP FOR ANYONE GETTING THIS GAME: SAVE REGULARLY. Just had to replay an hour of the game because it decided to crash after watching an event.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 04:03:37 PM by Klutz64 »