Author Topic: A pile of rare Secret of Evermore soundtracks show up: seller goin cheap?!

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-The-Complete-Soundtrack-from-the-Secret-of-Evermore-Video-Games-/191521646595?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c97946803

Someone on vgmdb pointed out that there's a seller who is selling 30+ copies of the Secret of Evermore soundtrack.

Some facts:
- prior to this listing on eBay, I've never seen SoE go below $60. I've seen it go as high as $150. It's usually $80-$100 in USED sales on vgmdb.
- this is Jeremy Soule's first published work, and it was on a project with Square's USA division.
- the seller is claiming the albums are new/sealed.

I was very very skeptical at first, and believed the seller was selling bootlegs. I contacted one of the individuals on vgmdb and asked them to do some thorough inspections of the packaging and especially the disc. The big tell for me was that the inner rim of the disc has all of the right numbering properly printed; and, none of the packaging looks low-res or gross.

My current belief is that the seller must've found an old pile of un-sold goods from an old Babbage's or EB or something. Chances are a larger store ordered all of the Squaresoft merch from the Chrono Trigger / FFVI era, and the SoE soundtracks didn't sell at the time (the game wasn't wildly popular, after all).

And, either because they want to liquidate quickly, or because they have no idea what the street value is on the SoE soundtrack, this seller has the album on sale for $25.

Needless to say, I ordered one. As soon as it arrives I am going to do the most rigorous test I know of to make sure it isn't bootleg: the red laser in-the-dark test. A pressed CD will have the light sit squarely on the disc. A burnt CD will refract the light tangentially (along the plane of the disc) left and right. I'll let y'all know the results.

In the meantime, collectors might wanna get in on this before it's gone. I wonder if anybody ordered like 10 or more from this seller in hopes of selling them off individually for a higher price in the coming months.

Ramza

Wild Armor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I saw the convo on vgmdb the other day and ordered it then. I'll be inspecting it as well. I can smell a bootleg a mile away, so this will be fun. ;)

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
Well that's impressive.
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
mine arrived today. I did red laser test. It's an officially pressed CD, not a burnt CD-R.

Furthermore, its plastic "new/seal" status seems legit based on ... stuff. Its adhesives on the corners were beginning to go, so it was easy to unwrap. That's a pretty good sign that this is the real deal from 1995.

ANY collector of vgm should hop on this now. Once this sellers' stock is gone. Prices will slowly rise back up to what they've been for over a decade (around $100)

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
Ugh, I want one, but I also don't want to spend $25 on something that will just sit on my shelf forever and look cool.
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

Wild Armor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
mine arrived today. I did red laser test. It's an officially pressed CD, not a burnt CD-R.

Furthermore, its plastic "new/seal" status seems legit based on ... stuff. Its adhesives on the corners were beginning to go, so it was easy to unwrap. That's a pretty good sign that this is the real deal from 1995.

ANY collector of vgm should hop on this now. Once this sellers' stock is gone. Prices will slowly rise back up to what they've been for over a decade (around $100)

Excellent news! Then I'll just keep mine in its plastic and let it grow in value. ;)