Author Topic: Retro Encounter Podcast Thread

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: Retro Encounter Podcast Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 11:51:20 PM »
And honestly, "retro" is in the eye of the beholder

So you're going to play the Eye of the Beholder trilogy?
=P

Or something popular with the teenz, tweens, and all in and around that use for semi-poetic tumblrstuff.

...this ones just alarming to look at
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 12:49:09 AM »
fuck it. also wouldn't mind listening to you guys try to grind on through:

Symphony of the Night, Parasite Eve, Tales of Destiny II (the NA version for PSX), Vagrant Story

Lufia II, Super Mario RPG or Secret of Evermore.

You, sir (or ma'am) have impeccable taste!  There's only a couple of those not on our list already, so I'll make sure to add them.  Really excellent suggestions!

If you guys are taking suggestions, what about covering some games of interest that didn't make it out of Japan, like Seiken Densetsu 3, Bahamut Lagoon, the Langrisser series or the original Ore no Shikabane o Koete Yuke?
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 12:58:11 AM »
I think we actually have Bahamut Lagoon on the list, and I LOVE Seiken Densetsu 3. Great suggestions.

I'm not familiar with that last one, I'll have to check it out.
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 01:06:28 AM »
Stephen, that's the PS1 Japan-only cult hit usually truncated to Oreshika :)

And I *ADORE* Seiken Densetsu III.  One of my all-time favorite RPGs, not joking.  Better than Secret of Mana.  Beaten that thing seven or eight times.  Unreal replayability for a Super Famicom RPG. 

DaviKaze

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 01:11:10 AM »

Symphony of the Night, Parasite Eve, Tales of Destiny II (the NA version for PSX), Vagrant Story

You, sir (or ma'am) have impeccable taste!  There's only a couple of those not on our list already, so I'll make sure to add them.  Really excellent suggestions!

If you guys are taking suggestions, what about covering some games of interest that didn't make it out of Japan, like Seiken Densetsu 3, Bahamut Lagoon, the Langrisser series or the original Ore no Shikabane o Koete Yuke?

All great games I'd love to play again!  I'll go ahead and add Front Mission Gun Hazard to the list too <3
Not even Jupiter can find a missed opportunity.

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 01:13:05 AM »

God I remember one summer where I marathon'd SquareSofts[!] SNES RPG line up.  Live a eviL was on there and Treasure of the Rudras for being that cool funky jazz you just wouldn't see getting made today it feels.  

Seiken Densetsu 3 was sorely missed stateside; but man my brother and i had fun with that one.  I don't think a game looked prettier either and besides Duran's boring ass there was no character who didn't have a good start.

Was Ore no Shikabane o Koete Yuke that very Japanese (well myth, look, and everything) PSP game?

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2015, 01:15:31 AM »
Was Ore no Shikabane o Koete Yuke that very Japanese (well myth, look, and everything) PSP game?
Almost.  It's usually called Oreshika and it was PS1 Japan-only RPG.  It recently had a PS Vita sequel, Oreshika 2, which made it to North America as Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines.  I stuttered through a discussion of it in the most recent Random Encounter podcast. 

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2015, 01:21:49 AM »
I think we actually have Bahamut Lagoon on the list, and I LOVE Seiken Densetsu 3. Great suggestions.

I'm not familiar with that last one, I'll have to check it out.

I bring it up because it recently got a localized sequel for the PSV. Basically, its Eugenics: the JRPG and Japanese as hell. Even more so than any of the FE games (and speaking of, there's about a dozen of those that you can look at too).

As for obscure JP only JRPGs, I've got a list, and it is long (throw in stuff like the Aretha series, the Metal Max series, Energy Breaker, Bealphareth, the Farland Story series, Eien no Filena, Glory of Heracles series, Rudra no Hihou as just a sample of games of interest to me).

Edit: Fucken; beaten so hard.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 01:26:46 AM by Aeolus »
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2015, 09:35:42 AM »
I would have said SD3, but I didn't know we could suggest "unofficial" translations. Most of the mods on here take a hardline stance against that stuff, so I didn't want to open up a that particular can of worms.

edit: not to nitpick, but Treasure of the Rudras is NOT obscure. It's on par with Bahaumut Lagoon, SD3 and Live-a-Live for most fan translated JP SNES RPG.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 09:37:56 AM by glassjawsh »

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2015, 09:58:56 AM »
Subscribed.

I'll throw my suggestions in: Final Fantasy Tactics and Dark Cloud 2/Dark Chronicle.  I'll not suggest another thing until these two have been well Encountered!
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2015, 10:01:29 AM »
I guess I'll toss my hat to Terranigma.

Man, that thing isn't a game, it's a life experience.

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2015, 11:32:40 AM »

A freaky one at that.  Goddamn I think "hell on earth" describes what he sees better than the sort-of-hell (underworld?) the game starts in.  Insect infestation? Bloody Mary?? Zombie town??? The death-status SEWER?  Fuck it, I'd crawl back into the whole I came from and live here forever:

But yeah, epic game from start to finish and easily the best of the Quintet trilogy (though of course Soul-whatever had its moments, and Illusion of Gaia a classic in its own right).
Obligatory: *sigh* they just don't make 'em like this anymore

Oh and this artwork is beautiful:

Yeah, my vote goes to Terranigma as well; and Dark Cloud 2, curious about y'all thoughts and reacts on that one.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

DaviKaze

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2015, 11:43:17 AM »

I might be the only one who has alread played through the 'nigma.  I'd love to see everyone's reactions though, because boy is that game unique.  Let's go run some dungeons for my homie Ben Franklin.

And I'm away to install a fan requested column to our googledoc!
Not even Jupiter can find a missed opportunity.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2015, 11:48:15 AM »
Illusion of Gaia a classic in its own right.
GASP!  Loved that game as a kid!  Has some of the best music on SNES, and that is really saying something.  I remember thinking that the story was really weighty and mature, more so than what I was used to at the time, at least.  Would definitely love a modern retrospective on it.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2015, 02:22:06 PM »
BOOMYAH

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2015/3100.html

Episode 1-1 is live.

My comments post-episode are that I'm warming up to the game more and more. It's very charming, and I enjoy the combat. I'm still not sure about the side quests-- I really like how much dialogue each has, but a couple just involve so much trial and error or roaming with random fights. Also fine, all of you win, this is a Falcom OST that I legtimately love.

Davi, I've actually beaten Terranigma. It's a classic. I own but have NOT beaten Ilusion of Gaia, though! And thanks to everyone for your comments and feedback so far.

Regarding fan translations-- we're open to playing these, though if we do, there won't be any discussion of acquisition, emulation, or anything technical in that regard. Also, Rudra no Hihou has amazing music.

edit:

also I will bet money that by the end of this storyline Estelle and Joshua hook up.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 02:29:50 PM by Taelus »
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.