Author Topic: Retro Encounter Podcast Thread

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Retro Encounter Podcast Thread
« Reply #660 on: October 18, 2016, 02:11:39 PM »
I shouldn't have thrown my vote away on Radiant Historia.  If I had known I could have prevented Suikoden II from losing to Shadow Herts Covenant (yuck), I would have done so.

TBF, my problem with SH is more about the content than the gameplay (although the tiny bit of gameplay I've experienced did not impress me).  So I'm sure there's a lot to like about the game, but... it's just not for me.

If the judgement ring was in any other (Arvis approved) game you'd fall in love with it.  It's the best PS2 era battle system by leaps and bounds.

You know, I keep hearing that about the Judgment Ring, so I have to assume it's true.  Maybe a modern game with "more comfortable" aesthetics will adopt something similar.

@divingfalcons: Yeah, I tend to view the SH franchise as a bit "underground" in RPG culture, so I'm pretty surprised it's winning this poll.  Especially over RPG darling Suikoden II.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: October 18, 2016, 05:29:37 PM »
I loved the judgment ring, to be honest.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: October 18, 2016, 07:34:51 PM »
I'm playing SH:C now and it is SO much better than the first SH. The battles are so much faster and more engaging - it's fantastic.

That said, there's some really bizarre dialogue and events in this one that just doesn't match the first game or the setting at all. It's really off-putting.

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #663 on: October 19, 2016, 10:06:59 AM »
I really love that first game; a little clunky but refreshingly short and fast paced with great aesthetics.

Wild Armor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: October 19, 2016, 04:59:21 PM »
I'm playing SH:C now and it is SO much better than the first SH. The battles are so much faster and more engaging - it's fantastic.

That said, there's some really bizarre dialogue and events in this one that just doesn't match the first game or the setting at all. It's really off-putting.

Well, then wait until you check out the wacky-zany, crazy-go-nuts adventures of the wily crew of Shadow Hearts: From the New World!

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #665 on: October 19, 2016, 06:55:26 PM »

Well, then wait until you check out the wacky-zany, crazy-go-nuts adventures of the wily crew of Shadow Hearts: From the New World!

SHIII is so unbelievably goofy it might as well be from a different series. But as has been mentioned, the battle system is still excellent.

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #666 on: October 20, 2016, 06:00:18 AM »
SH3 feels a lot like a Red Company game; particularly Tengai Makyou Apocalypse IV or Sakura Wars: So Long My Love.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: October 20, 2016, 08:40:39 AM »
SHIII is the one with the unrealistically hot, mocha-skinned goddess who does a near-striptease magical girl transformation, right?

You can tell my priorities as a teen from the things I remember about obscure games.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: October 20, 2016, 09:53:07 AM »
^ she's "native american" lol

or at least she's what you would imagine a native american would look like if you were a japanese man obsessed with sailor moon (and hyper sexualization) and had never actually seen a native american woman.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 09:56:05 AM by glassjawsh »

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

ultra7k

• View Profile
« Reply #669 on: October 20, 2016, 12:05:59 PM »
Started listening to the Falcom episode and it's making me want to get another Falcom fix. I have Cold Steel II waiting in the wings, but lately I've been down on games and have been taking a bit of a break.

Listening to all this Ys talk makes me want to play Ys I/II again.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #670 on: October 27, 2016, 06:54:23 PM »
Started listening to the Falcom episode and it's making me want to get another Falcom fix. I have Cold Steel II waiting in the wings, but lately I've been down on games and have been taking a bit of a break.

Actually, is there a good Ys game to start with?  I wouldnt mind giving the series a shot.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: October 27, 2016, 09:00:47 PM »

Actually, is there a good Ys game to start with?  I wouldnt mind giving the series a shot.

There are 3 distinct styles in the PSP/Vita versions of Ys games.  I/II plays a lot like older Zelda games (with way better music and combat), Oath in Felghana is my personal favorite and plays a lot like a much richer and more nuanced version of a banjo kazooie style platformer and finally Memories of Celceta and SEVEN sort of plays like a modern Seiken Densetsu 3 but with MUCH MUCH MUCH better game mechanics.

I'd play Oath in Felghana first then I/II then MoC/SEVEN but really they're all a lot of fun.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #672 on: October 28, 2016, 03:09:25 AM »
Seconding what Jawsh said. There's three mid-00's Ys titles that I'd argue are the series zenith, which happen to use the same engine: Felghana, Origins and Ark of Napishtim.

Felghana's a remake of the much maligned Ys 3, a game that, despite being broken, had some of the best music and visuals of late 80s Falcom. Best of all, it gives you the option of three different soundtracks: a new arranged version, and two distinctly different microcomputer versions. It really feels like a love letter to the series and its fans, and Jawsh is right, it's a great place to start.

Origins is a really great dungeon crawl that takes the best of Felghana's combat and strips out the downtime in town. It may not be the best place to start, but it's a hell of a lotta fun and there's multiple protagonists, each of whom have a completely different combat style.

But honestly, if any of the games go on sale, they're all worth picking up. 1&2 can be a bit of a shock to the system, but they're excellent when you get into the flow. The Steam/PSP Eternal version is probably the way to go, but Hudson's TGCD version is on the Wii Marketplace, which is markedly different but wonderful in its own way.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 03:11:46 AM by Towns Car Marty »

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: October 28, 2016, 10:35:18 AM »
On top of all that, there's any of the Quintet Trilogy, i.e. Actraiser, Soul Blazer/Blader, Illusion of Gaia/Time, Terranigma and The Granstream Saga (though that last one is a bit of a garbage fire). Playing one of those is like playing Ys with a different hat.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Isjaki

• Kind of An Alchemist
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: October 29, 2016, 07:48:31 PM »
I just finished Trails of Cold Steel II. That game is pretty god damn wonderful. Basically an improvement in every way over the first game. I even teared up a bit at the end. I can't wait for what the Trails series has coming for us.

Listening to the Falcom episode really made me want to get into the Ys series as well. I did play I & II on the DS and thought they were all right, but didn't really care to look more into the series. I am going to give the series another go with Oath in Felghana on my Vita.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 08:28:00 PM by Isjaki »