Author Topic: Best Non-RPG Music of 2015 (so far)

dharkhades

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Best Non-RPG Music of 2015 (so far)
« on: May 05, 2015, 11:36:43 PM »
My pick for Best Non-RPG Music for 2015 would be Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number. Improves on so many of the already great things the first soundtrack brought. This could of course change as we still got many months to go. Anyone else have picks?

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
Re: Best Non-RPG Music of 2015 (so far)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 12:36:01 AM »
I am all about that Ori and the Blind Forest OST. I almost considered cheating and reviewing it even though we don't cover it at all here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN_LvY97Rco

The whole OST reuses this theme to fantastic effect, and it creates some of the most exhilarating sequences I've ever played. Truly wonderful.

Can you recommend some tunes from Hotline Miami 2?
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

dharkhades

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 12:50:35 AM »
It's a a compilation so there are several different artists. Here is a small sampling of favorite tracks - Voyager (Jasper Bryne), Dust (M/o/o/n), Simm Hem (Riddarna), Divide (Magna), Rust (El Huervo), Roller Mobster (Carpenter Brut).

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 01:30:01 AM »
I love me some Jasper Byrne. His music is as good as his game-making (Lone Survivor <3 <3 <3).

Hmmm ... new non-RPG music I'm enjoying? I don't know that I've played anything new enough to say.

I recently posted a review of the LBP3 soundtrack on OSV. I liked that mucho. The game came out in 2014, but the iTunes soundtrack release was in 2015. So that sorta counts.

OH! And the soundtrack for Oblitus is great. Short, but great!

http://vgmdb.net/album/51314

dharkhades

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 07:54:44 PM »
From the screen shots I saw of Ori and the Blind Forest, I had a feeling I would probably love the OST. Who is the composer for that?

As for Jasper Bryne, yeah his Lone Survivor OST is awesome. Some hints of Akira Yamaoka's Silent Hill OST's but also a lot of unique and interesting tracks. I will have to check out the Oblitus OST on your recommendation, Ramza. By the way, what is LBP3?

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 07:57:06 PM »
The composer on Ori is Gareth Coker, along with some backup including the likes of Aeralie Brighton (vocals).

And yeah-- I love the Lone Survivor OST as well. That's a great game with some nutty stuff.

(LBP3 = LittleBigPlanet 3)

I'm a fan of the Oblitus OST too-- although I WAS expecting it to be longer.
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.