Author Topic: I almost never read the main site

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
I almost never read the main site
« on: May 11, 2015, 04:49:07 PM »
I recently realized that outside of checking if a new podcast is out (which is usually announced in the forums anyhow), I almost never look at what goes on in the main site.

This is not a knock on RPGFan proper.   It's just that I've already read all of the reviews that might have appealed to me, so I only have the forums bookmarked on my browser. 

Am I alone in this? Is this a normal thing for the forum regulars around here?

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
Re: I almost never read the main site
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 06:03:19 PM »
:( All the news teams hard work.  No but I can understand I do that with a few sites that I visit.

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 06:57:36 PM »
I actually find I read the front page more than ever, now with our crazyballs news team writing so much. I used to have to go elsewhere, but now I can just take advantage of the wonderfully egotistical act of reading my own site :)

Although props to you for checking on podcasts ;)
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 07:20:17 PM »
If the podcasts are referencing back to feature content on the site that you are interested in and THEN you go find it ... then that's what works for you, right? :) But, if you aren't aware of what's coming out, maybe worth hitting up the front page every week or so.

I myself read every single post. But I've been doing that since like ... 1999. Which means, by now, I've probably read more RPGFan than my primary religious text (OT+NT Bible). Woo!

Perhaps your lack of interest in the feature stuff put on the front page has more to do with the new games coming out these days and less to do with the staff's ability to cover the games? I can understand that ... but then, it's worth digging and finding out about new IPs, or even fun old/new stuff, like how the Fire Emblem series creator is building a game in the SRPG equivalent of RPGMaker for free.

Aurian

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 10:16:55 PM »
I read the main site. It's how I find out what I want/need to watch for! Also, gives me information on games as they come up. Keep writing! :). (Ps podcasts kinda suck if you're deaf so.... :p)

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 11:28:11 PM »
Wait, this isn't the main site?

D-Rider

• Former God of RPGFan
  • Rainbow Club Member
  • Giant Paraplegic Cock
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 12:47:23 AM »
I read the front page so I can see the fruits of all the labor my old friends have continually put into this website for the decade and a half I've known them.

That's what I tell them, anyway.

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 03:34:12 AM »
Maybe I'd read them if it weren't for the off-putting snark that the site thinks is a good click-bait.

zergrav

• Software Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 08:17:52 AM »
Maybe I'd read them if it weren't for the off-putting snark that the site thinks is a good click-bait.

In the News Article creation process, not only do we avidly oppose "click bait", but Andrew and his staff are meticulous about avoiding such SEO trickery.

On a totally separate note, I think you meant "snarky", the adjective, not "snark" the verb... correlations here? I dare not speculate:-D
When unrealistic solutions are required, reach into your satchel of Black Magic and make it a reality :)

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 08:42:10 AM »
Yeah, I don't know what site you're looking at but RPGFan is one of the few outlets I visit that DON'T go for the inflammatory or leading headlines.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 09:53:44 AM »
Occasionally, I'll take a peak at the headlines to see what's going on in the RPG world. If I'm thinking of playing a new (to me) RPG, I'll check out the RPGFan review(s) for it.
Normally though, I just hit up the forums. It's pretty much my near-daily dose of social... stuff... being social.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 03:01:53 PM »
I just don't see anything on the front page that I haven't already seen in here.

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 03:07:49 PM »
Yeah, I don't know what site you're looking at but RPGFan is one of the few outlets I visit that DON'T go for the inflammatory or leading headlines.

You'll never see '10 THINGS FINAL FANTASY VII DID POORLY... NUMBER 6 BLEW MY BALLS OFF' at RPGFan. :)
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 03:24:18 PM »

You'll never see '10 THINGS FINAL FANTASY VII DID POORLY... NUMBER 6 BLEW MY BALLS OFF' at RPGFan. :)

I think you just got your inspiration for April Fools 2016. Buzzfeed-style headlines for every article. And every article is a list article. And every "list article" is 15 pages w/ 15 images so as to maximize ad revenue.

zergrav

• Software Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 10:06:45 PM »

I think you just got your inspiration for April Fools 2016. Buzzfeed-style headlines for every article. And every article is a list article. And every "list article" is 15 pages w/ 15 images so as to maximize ad revenue.
* zergrav is sold  xD
When unrealistic solutions are required, reach into your satchel of Black Magic and make it a reality :)