No Legend of Legaia on anyone's list?

I am disappointed in all of you.

kkhohoho

• View Profile
Re: Top 10 RPGs Poll
« Reply #136 on: June 17, 2015, 04:18:23 PM »

To be honest, I forgot it even existed until you mentioned it.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #137 on: June 17, 2015, 04:19:50 PM »

Oof.  THis is one of those games which is good...but getting "stronger" meant longer and longer attacks and battles just went on forever.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 17, 2015, 05:04:18 PM »

That game is among many, many titles in my undocumented back log. I had rented it back when it was new, but couldn't finish it before having to return it... I remember not hating it, so hopefully someday soon I'll come back to it.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 18, 2015, 10:19:42 AM »
I got Legend of Legaia at the same time as Final Fantasy VII and actually finished it first because I liked it a little bit more. I can't even remember exactly why, maybe because the world felt a little more cohesive and Final Fantasy VII was a lot of "Look at the awesome shit we made! Sure, it makes no sense, but it's awesome!"?

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2015, 10:27:09 AM »

It's too janky for most to consider top tier, but not janky enough to make it onto my joke list.

Like seriously, the game doesn't have a difficulty curve so much as a series of valleys and peaks (especially if you know what you are doing and get that card at the start of the fucking game).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Legaia

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 24, 2015, 09:20:31 PM »
To be honest, I forgot it even existed until you mentioned it.

Haha, I think most people don't remember LOL exists.

Oof.  THis is one of those games which is good...but getting "stronger" meant longer and longer attacks and battles just went on forever.

Yeah they did get long. Would have been nice if there were a 'shorten animation' feature for attacks and summons. I love it all the same though.

That game is among many, many titles in my undocumented back log. I had rented it back when it was new, but couldn't finish it before having to return it... I remember not hating it, so hopefully someday soon I'll come back to it.

You should. It's really fun. There are some good gameplay vids of it on YT too. Because of the flashy battle moves it's one of those RPGs that's also fun to watch.

I got Legend of Legaia at the same time as Final Fantasy VII and actually finished it first because I liked it a little bit more. I can't even remember exactly why, maybe because the world felt a little more cohesive and Final Fantasy VII was a lot of "Look at the awesome shit we made! Sure, it makes no sense, but it's awesome!"?

I played FFVII before LOL and liked it less even though it's considered a better game by pretty much everyone. I loved the battle system and the post-apocalyptic setting was pretty awesome. Plus Seru are like evil Pokemon and that adds a certain appeal.

It's too janky for most to consider top tier, but not janky enough to make it onto my joke list.

Like seriously, the game doesn't have a difficulty curve so much as a series of valleys and peaks (especially if you know what you are doing and get that card at the start of the fucking game).

Speaking of difficulty curve, a big problem that people had with LOL (mainly being that it's a grindfest because of certain bosses being tough and equipment being so expensive) seems to only be present in the US/PAL versions of the game. In the original JP release the enemies and bosses have less defense, which makes them go down quicker, and the enemies killed give you somewhere around 1.5x as much gold and exp after killing them, meaning you can get the best armors and beat all the bosses with almost zero grinding. If they left it with the original's stats it may have been better received slightly.

Strange how they mess with the stats between regions though. The same thing happened with The Legend of Dragoon, except in reverse so that the US/PAL releases were actually easier than the JP release.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 11:07:29 PM by Sise-Neg »

Marshmallow

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 25, 2015, 09:49:15 PM »
My list:
10. Final Fantasy IX
9. Shadow Hearts: Covenant
8. Grandia
7. Lost Odyssey
6. NieR
5. Persona 4 Golden
4. Digital Devil Saga 2
3. Final Fantasy VII
2. Tales of Destiny
1. Suikoden II

Der Jermeister

• Banninated
  • Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 25, 2015, 10:17:21 PM »
1. Muramasa Rebirth
2. Child of Light
3. Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention
4. Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
5. Fable: The Lost Chapters
6. Final Fantasy IV (iOS)
7. Mass Effect series
8. Valkyria Chronicles II
9. Ys: The Oath in Felghana
10. Ys Origin
Public Blog
LiveJournal
RPG Reviews
DeviantArt Gallery

Every man is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts.
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

zach

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 10, 2015, 04:51:57 AM »
1. Xenogears
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Final Fantasy VII
4. Chrono Cross
5. Final Fantasy X
6. Dragon Quest V
7. Baten Kaitos 1
8. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
9. Xenoblade Chronicles
10. Skies of Arcadia: Legends

Some other great RPG's: Xenosaga 3, Tales of Symphonia, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario 1 & 2, World ends with you, Radiant Historia, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Final Fantasy Tactics, Fire Emblem, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

I only included games that I finished, that is my little rule.

DarkCecil

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 15, 2015, 01:46:40 PM »
1. FF4 DS
2. Shining Force CD
3. FF1 PSP (or NES)
4. Shining Force 3
5. Dragon Quest 3 GBC
6. Dragon Quest 5 DS
7. Lunar The Silver Star (Sega CD)
8. Super Mario RPG
9. FF7
10. Xenoblade Chronicles

Ness

• lover of mother(s)
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 19, 2015, 03:00:05 PM »
I'm working on filling the gaps in my RPG databank but these are the ones that mean the most to me currently:

1. Earthbound - A darker story painted in feverish colors of sunny western suburbia. It was my first RPG and decades later it's still my favorite. (where is the Mother love!)

2. FF III (6) - I remember playing this game for the first time and felt like all the best parts of the previous games had been cherry picked into this incredible saga of love and loss. The soundtrack is "beautiful" without exaggerating and obligatory Kefka reference here.

3. Paper Mario: TTYD - I think Mario RPGs (with maybe the exception of SMRPG) are typically written off as not "classy" enough to hang around with the big boys of the genre. To me, the cleverly written dialogue and thoughtful world design really bring to life the world of TTYD in ways many other games can't. I just enjoy this game on the purest level. (also the badge system is really fun!)

4. Chrono Trigger - This game doesn't really need an introduction. It's simply wonderful from start to finish while allowing you the freedom of making your own story.

5. Persona 4/Golden - Much like CT in its heyday, Persona 4 struck the gaming scene like lightning at the right place and time. It perfected the foundation built in 3 (another awesome rpg) and wrapped the story around the characters this time  which made it feel a lot more personal and engaging for me to play through. Plus everyone loves shades meta.

6. Fire Emblem 7 - This was my introduction to the FE series (and SRPGs) and it was utterly brilliant. I haven't finished FFT (I know I deserve to be shot for such blasphemy) but I thought the blend of an epic war story and interesting characters was revolutionary (in a tactical sense!) at the time and it really hooked me on the genre. (Less Roy more Lyn!)

7. Planescape Torment - The combat in this game is basically a bad Baldur's Gate. However! The story, which admittedly is by all accounts the main draw, is perhaps the best one by far on this list. Everything from the world to the characters themselves are so unique and well developed you can't help but be engaged and invested in seeing the journey all the way through. Playing it through the first time was a cherished experience.

8. Super Mario RPG - Although truthfully I'm that guy who prefers the PM series to this, there's no denying this game is fantastic. It has some of the funniest dialogue in an RPG and really made some incredible backdrops that gave it such a sense of whimsical adventure. Geno was ok but Bowser is the true star!

9. Dragon Quest V - Although I would say the older DQ games have some irritating habits in their mechanics, the story this game told was mind blowing to me when I played it on DS. I had no idea of the scope it was going for and it really nailed that notion of a quest with, most importantly, a real sense of purpose.

10. Grandia II - This is sort of a weird one, and rightfully Suikoden 2 probably deserves this spot, but there is something about Grandia 2 I love. I played it for a week straight on my friend's Dreamcast and it just had the right thing I was looking for in a game that made it so memorable to me. Plus, much like Suikoden itself, I feel the battle system here is a blast and makes progressing feel enjoyable. I also like the characters a lot even though the rpg stereotypes haven't aged well!

Sorry about being a bit lengthy, I've never really sat down and thought about my favorite top ten so I got pretty into it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 05:13:13 PM by Ness »

Farron

• View Profile
    • Mayonaka Reviews
« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2015, 06:24:53 PM »
I guess it's never easy to make a top ten, especially when you are getting close to the tenth position and you feel you left some great candidates out but here's my list:

1.   Final Fantasy VII - My first RPG and it's been hard to beat it.
2.   Persona 4 Golden - Every time I play it I love it more. One day I think it may acquire the number one spot.
3.   Final Fantasy X - The first game that made me lose track of time, I can't say how much fun I've had with this one.
4.   Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - One of the best games that made me feel I was immersed in the world. Never before I felt like I made a difference as much as this game.
5.   Final Fantasy Tactics - I've lost count how many times I've beat it. Too bad I was never able to fully understand the plot.
6.   Valkyrie Profile 2 - Loved the story and the combat. The visual were fantastic back then.
7.   Mass Effect 2 - As opposed to the first game this has a more character driven story and for me it payed off really well. Not to mention the great setting, scenarios and gameplay.
8.   Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn - I can believe how many times I played it. Unfortunately I could never beat it. I found a cave full of Beholders and never managed to pass the second one...
9.   Valkyria Chronicles - Fantastic combat, lovely graphic filter and awesome strategy gameplay! Some stages were a little too hard but still it is an amazing game.
10.   Fire Emblem Awakening - I was surprised myself this game made it here to the list. This was my first FE but I can't say how much I loved it.

As much as I hate to admit I guess I'm a huge fan of SRPGs. Even a game that isn't an SRPG per say may have a deep strategy needed and one can see many like these on my list.

imedos

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 01, 2015, 09:19:46 AM »
1. Xenoblade
2. Chrono trigger
3. Baten kaitos origins
4. Final fantasy 6
5. Persona 3 fes
6. Tales of vesperia
7. Paper Mario ttyd
8. Radiant historia